Derry Road, Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Wonderful two night stay

Booked this hotel on the groupon deal and to be truthful, we thought since it was so cheap it might just be run of the mill. However, we will definitely be using this hotel again. The staff were all friendly, helpful and courteous. The accommodation was spacious and clean. We drank in Oscars bar and had dinner in the hotel restaurant and enjoyed both. We also used the leisure facilities: swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room and again thoroughly enjoyed these. (Just remember to take a swim hat with you or you will need to purchase one at the hotel for 3 Euro).The groupon deal is excellent value for money.

Unique Quality: Leisure facilities.

Directions: On the outskirts of the town, easy access to both coast and mountains.

More about Clanree Hotel

Awful Place

by TripAdvisor Member irishtouristBelfast

If you like cosy, atmospheric hotels, this is not the place for you. We booked a family room for two adults and two kids. The room was spacious but dark as it looked out onto a wall. When I complained about this, I was told all the family rooms had the same view. In fact, there are other family rooms - which overlook the bins! So we were "lucky"enough to be moved to one of these - at least there was some natural light.
The Tara Bar is large,completely devoid of any character and the barstaff indifferent. Food was appalling, my husband had a very chewy rubbery steak and there was no vegetarian menu to speak of. I opted for a curry pasta creation with about two vegetables in it. We had to ask if they would play some music just to break the ominous silence.
Swimming pool in the leisure centre informed me they had no towels and to go back up to my room to get one.
The TV didn't work either which the kids were disappointed about. The hotel does advertise a TV in the rooms. They just omitted to mention that they didn't work.
On the plus side, the girl at reception was very accommodating when I complained about the first room but for the money we paid, we might as well have gone to Alan Partridge's travel tavern!

Pleasant hotel

by TripAdvisor Member atg1

Stayed for three nights. Room was lovely,large,warm and very clean,we were at the back of the hotel,friends staying at the front were bothered by the road noise.Fresh towels each day and they were thick and soft.Water was very hot and the power shower excellent.Used the gym and pool.Breakfast was not that great,you had to queue and were served,it wasnt that hot and very greasy.Coffe and tea were brought to the table ,again it wasnt very hot and neither was there a generous amount.If a good breakfast is important to you this might not be the hotel for you.Walked into Letterkenny town it took about 20minutes,(briliant Fish and Chip shop called Mr Chippie}. and the road was extremely busy.Found it to be a good base for exploring the area.Love Donegal!

Fantastic Leisure facilities

by TripAdvisor Member PCorduff

Stayed here with my partner and our baby daughter. Lovely hotel, very clean and the staff are very nice.
Lots of parking but about 2km from the town centre. We brought are 6 month old swimming here. The pool has a built in whirl pool. The rooms are spacious. The food is ok too. Daniel O'Donnell had his wedding here. If you like live music this is a great hotel for country music.

For the most part good

by TripAdvisor Member oozeblue68

We had a few problems but overall this is a nice place to stay. It was very easy to find! The two rooms we had were adjoining(111 & 113) and 111 was extremely spacious. It had a kitchen with washer/dryer combo unit, refrigerator, sink, and place settings with utensils. 113 was a standard room but spacious. The rooms were extrememly hot. We shut down all radiators, but it was still very hot! We had to sleep with the windows open and in turn received quite a few midge bites. Scratch scratch scratch! The adjoining doors did not have a lock to use at night to keep the wee ones from waking up Grandma & Grandpa in the mornings. Breakfast : According to my 2 year-old sausage expert the sausages were "gross". I must say I was not impressed by them either. But overall, the breakfast was good, as well as the service. Very high marks from all family members for the pool. Used it everyday we were there. The service for dinner was not up to par! Had to ask the servers two, three,& four times for different things. At times, you felt like you were being ignored. Our dinner party consisted of six people. Our order was finally taken after 25 minutes. The order was repeated back to us. Almost 30 minutes until the salads & soup were served. Then another 45 until dinner was brought out. Now I believe, childrens' dinners should always be brought out first. So the cutting, cooling down, adding ketchup, etc. can be done before you can dive into your own dish without it being in the way. But in Ireland it is ALWAYS done in reverse, no matter how many times you ask for the kids' meals FIRST. Everyone was served what they had requested , except for me. They tried to give me salmon when I ordered scallops. I know the server wrote down scallops because she did repeat the order. She nearly insisted that I take the salmon. I told her that I did not want salmon. She took it back and then brought me the menu to choose a different dish. I told her that I wanted the scallops. She said she could not do it because it took too long. I said I rather not have a meal then. Thanks, anyway! My husband then insisted on talking to the manager. The manager was very apologetic!!! He explained that it would take a minimum of 45 minutes to complete the order. I did not mind because he did offer to send it up to our room, since everyone was nearly done with there dinner. He sent two bottles of complimentary wine to our table. My husband ended up taking one out to the lobby with the children, whom at this point were restless. At least they could jump around and not disturb anyone's dinner. Finally my dinner came..... and it was worth the wait, even though I was supposed to get a prawn rissotto and ended up with a salmon risotto. I guess I ended up with salmon anyway! LOL! It pays to be patient! I must say... I WOULD STAY AGAIN!

The Worst Service and Rudest Staff Ever

by TripAdvisor Member Zafiragirl

Our family of 5 spent 2 nights in a family room at the Clanree in August 2007, as guests at a wedding taking place in the hotel.

The room was clean-ish, (apart from my 7 year-old discovering that a previous guest had left blobs of chewing gum stuck under the table..yuk!) but there was an unpleasant smell from the bathroom, as if there might be an undiagnosed drain problem lurking behind the toilet or under the bath. Certainly the seal around the bath was yellowed and incomplete in places. The room furniture was chipped and falling apart, and the curtains had cigarette burns (in a supposed non-smoking room). The overall impression of the room was that it was overdue refurbishment.

Our room (168) had 2 double beds and 1 single, and was spacious enough, although there were not enough towels/water glasses/pillows for all of us. Our first request for additional items was ignored, and it took a second call to reception before the necessary items were supplied.

We wanted to eat in the hotel after our long journey (we drove from Scotland with the wedding cake in the boot!). Big mistake. Having gone to in person to the restaurant to reserve a table, I stood at the desk and was studiously ignored by the staff for a full five minutes before I gave up and walked out, deciding I might get a better response if I telephoned down from my room.

I called the restaurant extension number and my call was directed to the hotel bar, where I was told that a reservation would not be necessary, so we headed back downstairs. My husband asked if we should order our food at the bar, but we were told to sit down and someone would come to take our order. On three separate occasions this scenario was repeated, and it took over 45 minutes from our arrival in the bar to a waitress coming to take our order. Hindsight is a wonderful thing - we should have walked out after 10 minutes, but we were in Letterkenny on a rainy Sunday night with 3 young children in tow and a wedding to attend the following day!

Our order was eventually delivered a further half hour later, and was missing the all of the accompanying vegetables and side orders. The steak I had ordered was so raw as to be completely inedible. By the time the side orders arrived, the main courses were cold.

When my husband complained about the atrocious service we had recieved, he got a half-hearted apology and the price of my steak refunded. It still cost us almost 100 Euros for a bar meal.

When we returned to our room, I had settled our 2 youngest children in bed, and the third was in the shower when there was a thudding fist on the door which woke the children (at approx. 10.30pm). I was confronted by a staff member who asked me if my bath was leaking! I told him that, to the best of my knowledge it wasn't, but that my daughter was in the shower at that time. He explained that water was coming in though the kitchen ceiling and they did not know for sure where it was coming from and insisted that I check if the bathroom was flooding. Of course, it wasn't, and when I encountered the same member of staff the following morning, I asked if he had located the source of the leak, his reply was "no, but it's not my problem anyway". A good example of the whole staff attitude to guests and service.

When the time came to check-out, the hotel had misplaced the top tier of the wedding cake. The head receptionist (who also claimed to be duty manager) was most rude and unhelpful in trying to locate it. She was dismissive, curt, quick to blame other staff or indeed me for the problem, and extremely rude.

We left her in no doubt as to our low opinion of the hotel and its staff. Please reconsider if you're thinking of booking in here. The wedding was beautiful, but the hotel accommodation and staff attitudes stink. Literally.

staff need training in humor

by TripAdvisor Member kazzadeIreland

well were do i start. room not bad, reception staff ok but a few need to wake up to what there residents ask for.
room service no cutlery. takes 45 minutes to arrive.
The worst thing ever was SINEAD so called supervisor in dining area a complete ignorant person. No smiles just plain blunt ignorance. Bar stafff sound. Sinead go and learn manners u could cost the hotel a fortune.ppl wont want 2 see ur frown.

If it's good for Daniel O'Donnell it's good for me.

by TripAdvisor Member MARADONABHOY

About 50 of my friends go over to Letterkenny twice a year and stay in the Clanree.It has everything.Good facilities.Good food.Good entertainment and the staff are most helpful.
Being disabled with respiratory problems it is comforting to know that the hospital is only 3 minutes away.
A Lottery win would have me going over here more regularly.
Even Daniel O'Donnell had his wedding reception here.So it can't be bad.

Joe Clark
Chapelhall

could be a lot lot beter...

by TripAdvisor Member pipie

just back from staying in this hotel for the week-end.
there are so many small items this hotel could do to greatly improve its overall image. A can of paint would go a long way, .
when we arrived he first thing we did was to upgrade our room for an excecutive one..as the one we were alocated seemed a wee tad "dingey". I couldnt help but think there seems to be a difference between the rooms on the second and the first floors..
If you have to stay here ask for a room on the 1st floor.. the food was good, breakfast and dinner simple and good.. the chef was definitely making a good effort.. but the menu was a wee bit limited..and the eating area is very much open plan ....not ideal for a romantic meal.....O by the way it was the first time ive ever been given cold coffee to drink after the meal ...I just decided to overlook that small detail....The staff were pretty good. the pool is average..its the only hotel ive stayed in where you have to wear a cap in the pool .what a daft idea..and you need wellies in the changing room cus there is about 1" of water all over the floor ..Im not joking these facilities were a disappointment.
cant help but think will any of the saff read these comments and do anything about it..

I know now why this has a 3 star rating...

Highly recommended for an out of season stay!

by TripAdvisor Member mick1968

Stayed in the Clanree for three days (Feburary 2008) and really enjoyed my time there. The hotel was very quiet so the girl in reception gave me an executive suite for the normal price, and I also got a very reasonable rate. She was really sound too. So, I was able to lavish in a huge comfortable room. I felt i was in my own living room. (The view was not great however as the room overlooked the car-park, and the noise from the busy road could be heard).
Despite the fact the hotel is not really awe-inspiring or unique (like most Irish hotels of its type), everything was good; it is clean and comfortable, and I liked the fact the staff talked to you like a real person, unlike the usual robotic 'yes sir', 'no sir' functionality one gets in Irish hotels of this type. The leisure centre is fine, but it has a bit of a cramped feeling to it. I ate in the bar and the food and service was solid and reasonably priced. The bar has a nice, relaxed ambience to it too.
I really liked this hotel, and its the best hotel i've stayed in in Letterkenny, so i'd highly recommend it. I can't however judge it in the high season when it is full and busy, but off-season at least its a great place to stay.

Great Day/Night

by TripAdvisor Member FintraGirl

Stayed here at the Clanree over the weekend for a Wedding, brillant day and night, service was good and the atmosphere at the wedding was great. Good place for that special day.

a pub (photo Dirk)a pub (photo Dirk)

Comments