Paddy Harte Road, (formerly Radisson SAS), Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny

Fabulous Hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member TTJJ

We hadn't been to Letterkenny for a few years and had heard a lot of great reports recently about the town so we headed off from Belfast on a Friday afternoon for a weekend break.

We decided to stay at the Radisson because of it's good location even though we had seen some less than favourable reviews. We had a good deal with one dinner included. On arrival we were impressed with the lovely building and when we went inside we were really impressed. It's a really beautiful hotel. The young receptionist was cheerful and welcoming and very helpful. She enquired about our journey, suggested things to do and made our dinner reservation. Our room was gorgeous with a view of the beautiful Donegal countryside.

The dining room was very busy but the service was first class as was the food. I had steak for my main course and my wife had fish and both were excellent. The choice of both starters and desserts was great too. We honestly could not say that we had ever had a better meal and we found the wine to be very reasonably priced as well. Kieran, the maitre d', is a brilliant guy. We were so pleased that we decided to dine in the hotel the second night also and happily we were just as pleased again.

The staff at the Radisson are excellent. We found everyone very pleasant and anxious to help. We could not have expected more and it is a long time since we experienced such excellent quality of accomodation, food and service all together.

Well done Radisson Letterkenny. We'll be back, we'll tell our friends and we certainly recommend this hotel to anyone going to stay in Letterkenny. By the way, the town is really good also.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member irishgirl123

Stayed for one night april '06 , double room €160.
Plus points: Hotel staff very nice on check in , asked about our journey up , would we like to book dinner etc. Room was available immediately even though I had only booked it one hour beforehand.
Room was clean. King sized bed was two singles pushed together but unlike previous review there was king sized duvet! Mini bar available in room, movies etc.
Tried out leisure centre, they even have swimwear available to purchase if you need it. Nice little pool, one lane marked off for serious swimmers, the rest left for kids etc. Small gym, sauna, steam room. Small changing room. Towels provided.
Dinner in hotel restaurant, again staff very nice, little bit slow. I went for the pasta as a main course and it was bland but my husbands duck was really lovely. ( as per previous review the lemon tree restaurant was recommended to us also, we couldnt get a reservation so book early!)
Minus points: Turned off heat in room but it was still like a sauna, as there is only a duvet it was hard to get a comfortable nights sleep. DJ in bar on sat night which you can hear in restaurant, didnt bother us but might annoy others. Not overly loud though to be honest!

lovely place

i arrived in the radission in the radassion on the 28 th feb with my wife. we were greated very well and we we treated with great importance.we were advised to go to the lemon tree resturant in the town by a young receptionist who was very helpful and even rung and booked a table up for us which we thought was very thought ful of the young girl.we came back to the hotel and went to the bar for a late night drink. they were very busy and the girl in the bar ignored my wife when she tried to find out what time the bar closed at. we ended uo having only finished ore first drink when we were told it was closing uo time which we thought was very hatefulk when we could went back into town,some where were we wouldnt of been thrown out of especially when we were staying in the hotel we had a lovely room oin the second floor facing on to the main road.we had movies and a mini bar which was strangly set up because on departure we had to tell the receptionist what we took from our bar becuse there was no price list for us to tick of what we took.. we had out brekfast each moring in the resturant and we had one evening meal which was lovely. we checked out on the monday morning by a lovely trainee receptionist who was friendly who told us she was working there on placement from her college.she was very helpful and explained to us how to get out of the town and even gave us a map which was helpful for future preference.she wished us well and hoped to see us again when she returned to the hotel. we will certainly be returing to the hotel again.

very good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member doownelg

I have just returned from this hotel I enjoyed my stay . I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful The breakfasts were wonderful any amount of hot and cold foodsIf what you wanted wasn;t there all you had do was ask.The rooms were very comfortable the bed enormous.only complaint i had about the room was they didnt give you enough shower gel they didnt always replace toiletries.Room was extremely warm as we were going through a heatwave a rare occurence here.and no a/c but on last night got an electric fan.You can get into the hotel from back entrance at night it doesnt close a bit dark but no problems.I would definetly stay again The Lemon Tree was nice but not exceptional up further there was a restaurant and pub called the brewery the food was superb 10 times better and cheaper than the lemon tree lots of nice places to eat in Letterkenny

Really awful !!!!!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member footman26

My fiannce and I stayed here over St Patricks weekend / 17 March .

The noise in our room ( from air conditioner was terrible )
We contacted reception at 11-10 pm no one arrived, we eventually fell asleep around 12-40 am.
We went for breakfast at 10-05 the next morning.
We started with cereal / juice and ordered full Irish breakfasts.
We asked the various staff 6 -7 times over the next 50 minutes about our order.
With no effect, we asked for the breakfast manager.
He eventually arrived with a black burnt bacon tomatoes and eggs. All could have been on the floor all night, and looked disgraceful!
We asked him would he eat "that" breakfast, he replied no!

I suggested he spoke to the reception about our room overnight and so called "breakfast" that morning "

I went to checkout and the lady smiled and said did you enjoy your stay?
As she was one of the staff working on breakfast duty also.
She clearly knew all about our breakfast problems that morning, and the way were treated!
She was aware because she was one of the staff whom we complained to a number of times, earlier .

There was no room charge reduction for the shambles that morning. or the night before
There was a mumbled apology!
I advised them that we were on a tour of hotels in the area, as we were looking for hotels in Donegal for our upcoming Wedding reception.

I advised the reception that they had been taken off the list

THERE LOSS NOT OURS

Then I wrote to the manager via regular mail / post
He / she did not even give us a reply

Truely horrible

MANAGEMENT NEEDS A REAL GOOD SHAKUP!!!!!!!!!!

My email foothouse@ntlworld.com

Enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member CMc63

Pleasant hotel with spotlessly clean, spacious rooms and extremely pleasant staff. Pleasant bar to sit in in the evenings & we had a meal in the restaurant one night, which was surprisingly good. Breakfast excellent - good choice of both hot & cold & plenty of different fruits.

Downsides - the hotel is strangley located in that it is part of an out of town shopping area on ringroad & next to building site. However, letterkeny itself isn't the most attractive Irish town that I've ever been to.

Also, there were wedding parties on both the friday & saturday nights & as outdoor tables & chairs had been placed outside our window for smokers, we had to listen to to raucous laughter till the early hours.

A very minor quibble - I booked the business class accommodation, but on two of the mornings that we were there, the hotel staff failed to deliver our newspaper that was included as part of the package & our complimentary shampoos were not replaced - a guest shouldn't have to ask for things like that as it hadn't occured to me that they hadn't been refilled until i was in the shower, which was then irritating.

On the whole, though, we had a very pleasant stay & I would definatly use the radisson again.

Poor Mgt, Would not Recommend

by TripAdvisor Member TyroneGirl

A group of friends went to Letterkenny for the weekend recently, and while I could highly recommend Lettekenny, I'm afraid I cannot say the same for the Raddisson.

When we booked in we have booked a room for 3 adults, this consisted in one room of a double bed, when we complained they added the most uncomfortable fold out bed that was jammed in the corner of the room. We then went for lunch and this was a terrible experience, firstly we ordered wine, by the time they found the wine we had finished lunch!! then could not open wine, when opened THERE WERE NO glasses in the bar. During the debacle another waitress came to help but she had v little English. The management of the bar area was shocking, to add to that there were kids running riot.....

Honestly it is a nice building (but no atmosphere), close to town. BUT DONT STAY THERE, there are better hotels just as handy.

Great for a January Retreat

by TripAdvisor Member Mayo80

This hotel is by far the best Radisson Hotel I've stayed in. I have stayed in Radissons in London, Dublin, Sligo, Galway, New York, Canada, France. From the moment we walked through the door and was greeted by "Jo" at reception who gave us all the relevant information for our stay we got a lovely quiet relaxing room with all you could want an extra king size bed but one down side was there were 2 single duvets on the bed but nothing major as we are used to travelling so it was minor detail. Food in the bar was excellent. Staff and service was second to none. Breakfast in the morning was so nice and relaxed Mary the friendly lady on breakfast each morning was so jolly you couldn't but wake up!! There was another girl dark hair with glasses but didn't get her name. Dinner in restaurant Table D'Hotel Menu at a lovely €32.50 was just perfect. The duck was to die for and the presentation was excellent. Waitress, blonde girl was so friendly and caterered for every need even before we asked for anything. This hotel is ideal for the keen shopper like myself, you have Next, Tempest, New Look, Dunnes, Elevery's, Penny's and the shopping centre all within walking distance of the hotel. the Leisure is lovely but they dont have a jacuzzi which would have been the icing on the cake for this hotel from all the tired shopping legs! Derry is only a 20 min drive which is worth a visit. Believe me this hotel is great compared to some USA hotels we are spoilt here so appreciate it while we got it. Go check it out!! If eating out check out the Yellow Pepper and Lemon Tree in Letterkenny town as recommended by Jo at reception which were great value also 3 courses 1 bottle of wine for less than €90 for 2 people. Hotel dinners are great value and quality is brillant.

Excellant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Smurf-7

We booked the Radisson in Letterkenny through Super Valu breaks and because there was three of us we had to ring the hotel direct. Martina dealt with us and she couldn't have been more helpful. We got a great deal and when we arrived the room was suitable set up for three girlies.

We booked dinner the Friday night in the hotel. The meal was delicious but there was one particular foreign waitress who had very little English and get some of our order wrong. The only bad point about dinner was that I wanted steak which I was charged a supplement of 10.50 for. I thought that was very steep but I wanted to enjoy my meal.

The breakfast was lovely and plenty to chose from but you need to be down half an hour before breakfast finishes to get the best choice.

The room service was great and the shops are just across the road, Next, New Look etc. The Radisson is far enough away from noise but within walking distance of everything else

Letterkenny is a good spot for shopping, eating and drinking. A really good restaurant is the Yellow Pepper and a good pub is McGinleys. Unless you are below 18 don't go to the Milan Nightclub at the top of the street.

Will definitely be back to this hotel

Luxury in a friendly hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Ewelyn

Loved this hotel. All Ireland Music festival was on this weekend. Lovely, quiet rooms, great comfy beds, good location, food and craic brilliant! Definitely go back.

The church of Letterkenny (photo Dirk)The church of Letterkenny (photo Dirk)

Comments