Redcastle, (formerly The Redcastle Hotel), Moville, County Donegal, Ireland

Costs 107% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Carlton Redcastle Hotel and Thalasso Spa

Wedding Fayre

by TripAdvisor Member Mashash

Stayed from 19th - 21st Jan for the Carlton Redcastle Wedding Fayre it was fantastic. Meal on the friday night was delicious as usual.

Saturday night we had champagne, canapes, hot/cold buffet. Great night.

Sunday we stayed on for the fayre, and had the carvery, wow, beautiful food and such a wide varirty, was class. Would highly recommend it.

Relaxation at its best

by TripAdvisor Member Seanie_pc

Stayed at the Carlton redcastle for a 30th birthday. To start the drive to the hotel is fabulous with nice views of the lough to distract you. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds, right on the edge of the lough, make sure when checking in you request a room with a balcony. We found the staff to be very polite and courteous. The rooms are absolutely spotless and are decorated in a contempory style. We didnt eat in the restaurant but can recommend eating out in Moville,as it was off peak season there was excellent value deals eating and drinking. Now the best part, if you need a trip to de-stress and unwind book in for one of the many treatments in the Spa. On leaving you will feel incredible. Also make sure you bring a swimming hat and try out the pool. This has to be one of the best pools I have ever been in with every type of bubbles, jets, waterfalls etc. all leaving you feeling chilled out. This was a well worthwhile trip and I would heartily recommend a stay here.

Fabulous Hotel Highly Recommended!

by TripAdvisor Member Gobnait

I stayed at this hotel on Sunday 22 October and found it to be a most enjoyable experience.
My husband had booked it for our 1st Wedding Anniversary and i must say the hotel couldnt do enough for us.
Our room was MASSIVE! we must have been upgraded to a suite. It was overlooking the Lough Foyle and was sooo luxurious.
I also made use of the Spa and had a wonderful tranquility full body massage - soo relaxing.
I was surprised to read the bad reviews of the restaurant because in my opinion the food, service and atmosphere was first class (And i'm not that easy pleased!)
All in all we will definitely return and i have been recommending the hotel since i returned!

A Shiels
letterkenny Co. Donegal

Regret the loss of atmosphere of original public rooms

Having stayed at the old hotel on several occasions in the past we certainly would agree that the new accomodation and spa facilities are great improvement. I expect that it's natural that we miss the ambience of the public rooms but the new layout seems to have taken the soul from the hotel.
The dinner was disappointing,this was aggravated by very slow service. We reserved dinner for 19.30 and left the dining room at 22.00 hrs. The supervisory staff were curt and the serving staff were obviously under pressure.
Where had the friendly chatty service gone?
Finally the American lady who I believe was training the reception staff, possiblly brings efficiency to that section but with it a coldness and abruptness not appreciated in this country.

Really loved Redcastle!!

by TripAdvisor Member Mildo1976

Well I must say it does surprise me that this hotel has received even one bad review!
My girlfriend and I spent the weekend there as a treat to celebrate my 30th Birthday. The staff were courteous, extremely helpful and couldn't have been more pleasant.
Whilst there we made the most of the idyllic surroundings, driving and walking around various parts of the peninsula.
The thalasso pool was excellent and thankfully there are certain times when one can enjoy it without having pesky kids running around
The food in the restaurant was, like the scenery, second to none and we shall be returning very soon.

Stephen Miller
Portadown

Much improved since last time - a faultless stay

by TripAdvisor Member highfly

We had a very average stay in September, but ventured back last weekend. We had a first class stay. The nice bits were still there - super location etc but this time there was a real sense that the place was being managed.
We had a lovely room with lake view. The meal in the dining room was magnificant and service was spot on. Breakfast was from 7 - 12. Very civilised and as it was more spread out there were no queues. Bar meal on Sat night was delicious. All in all a great stay. On check out I asked about the Greencastle ferry and they phoned to see if it was on, without being asked. Great service in bar from Catherine.
Well done Redcastle!

Great views

by TripAdvisor Member Belfastgirl23

We stayed for a couple of nights at the Redcastle just after Christmas. The hotel itself was nice - warm, clean and comfortable. Reception staff were helpful and pleasant and there was free broadband internet (admittedly availability was a bit patchy but great they don't charge for it). The views were really beautiful and waking up listening to the sound of the sea outside our window was very enjoyable. We had a room with a jacuzzi bath and this was so nice I didn't make it to the spa at all!

Drawbacks were minor. Food was good but very rich, I wouldn't have wanted to eat there more than once during my stay. And service in the restaurant was not great, we waited half an hour before someone took our order. The pace of food turning up was slow but not outrageously so. And there was a feeling of incipient chaos amongst the staff which was kind of comical.

Beware of using the internet form or email to book spa treatments - we did so a week before going and when we got there the spa had no record of it. No effort was made to figure out what happened with the email leading us to suspect that emails are routinely ignored. Booking ahead is vital for massages, we didn't manage to get an appointment because it was all booked up.

Finally this is clearly a family friendly hotel. That is to say there was pretty much always a baby crying in the restaurant and kids running around in the bar etc. If you have kids this might be a plus but for a quiet couple of days away it wasn't ideal.

Fantastic Hotel in a beaufiful location

by TripAdvisor Member ArmaghKitKat

I stayed in this hotel with my partner on a two night B&B package which included dinner. The hotel is really impressive from the front with extensive gardens and a lough shore location. Inside is equally impressive and is both modern and stylish. The room we got was fantastic really clean & modern & we had a huge balcony that overlooked the lough. The food was to die for - it really is worth going for just for the food! And the rooms have the biggest beds i have ever seen! You could get lost in them! Service was excellent - we ordered room service on the 1st nite & the food although a bit pricey was well worth it. All in all ideal for a romantic or golfing weekend (there is a golf course on site) and plently others near by. Will definately stay again - look out for the special offers they are well worth it. Maybe i'm just bias cause my boyfriend proposed when we were there?!!! Even so we'll definately go back!!!!!!!!!!!!

a lot of problems

by TripAdvisor Member carolineandben

On arrival our room was freezing, reception told me the heat was just going on we asked for a change 2nd room was over the gym and unfortunately the ''thud, thud'' of the music was unacceptable 3rd room was ok, now on to the swipe door entry keys we had to go reception at least 4 times as we could not get into room at no stage yet has anyone apologised for inconvenience. Spa treatments were nice but please enforce no mobile phones or loud conversations in relaxation area. Very disappointed with stay

Fantastic - A true gem

by TripAdvisor Member CathyOC

The Carlton is a fantastic spot, we stayed for 2 nights, all staff are very friendly and totally professional - from reception to garden staff - everybody pulls together and you couldn't but be happy with such a happy bunch of people.

The restaurant is excellent.... the chef "who ever he is" is on to a real winner - food is superb from breakfast to lunch to dinner and barfood.....fab views over the Foyle... dinner by moonlight... lovely...

Rooms beautiful...lovey views over the Foyle, good size (and we had a camp bed for our 10 yr old and still had lots of space. Bathrooms luxery!!

Kids - they are so patient with the kids... it contributed to our enjoyment.. we were there with two other families of 6 kids under 10 .. they have a kids club which the kids went to which meant we adults could enjoy a peaceful dinner and wine in the restaurant on both nights which was sublime.

The Spa? only downside....its a leisure centre and beauty salon really - so as long as your expectations are not too high you will be happy enough---- a proper spa would work here ....

We will go back - hopefully next summer....so relaxed......a bolt hole!!!

Comments