29 Bachelor's Walk, Dublin 1, Dublin, 1, Ireland

Booking.com HostelBookers.com Priceline.com

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Abbey Court

Before coming to Dublin I was looking for a hostel with a female dorm, which also had lookers in the room. Abbey Court had that so that is where I booked a bed, in a six-bed female dorm. The price for one night was 24 Euro (March 2013) and breakfast was included.

I was a bit worried it was going to be a noisy place, as it was Saturday night, it is close to Temple Bar and the guests seem to be quite young. After checking in it also turned out that the dorm was situated on the first floor (not the ground floor), with a window facing the street and River Liffey, and next door there was a pub which was going to play live music until quite late. However, it was not bad at all, everyone in the dorm was quiet and there was no disturbing noise from the corridor. When I went to sleep I could hear the music from the pub, but not too loud. I was very tired and slept very well.

I had been told that breakfast was served between 8 – 9.30, but when I came down to the kitchen around 7 in the morning it was almost ready and I just waited a few minutes. For breakfast there were cereals or muesli with milk, toast or other bread with butter and jam, juice and coffee and tea.

Abbey Court is a large hostel and as I din’t spend much time there I didn’t see it all. There is supposed to be a cinema room, a hammock room and games room, besides the kitchen and common room that I saw. There is free Wi-Fi.

The location is very good and central. And one good thing for me was that the bus I arrived with from Galway stopped only a one-minute walk from the hostel.

• zone_de_guerre's Profile Photo

Excellent Hostel

Even though I live fairly close to Dublin I sometimes stay in this hostel if I am going out on a late night. The rooms are clean and secure and there is a free breakfast which I have no complaints about. Only drawback is they dont allow alcahol downstairs which is slightly annoying as I like having a couple of beers!

Directions: Just adjacent to O'Connell Bridge where it meets O'Connell St.

• Travellingismylife's Profile Photo

Hostel in the city centre #2

I didn't stay there, but my friend did it and I went to this hostel a couple of times to visit him. He didn't find a convenient flat for him, so he stayed at Abbey Court for two months. A lot of people from all around the world did the same thing as him. So every night, people gathered in the living room and chatted together, or make dinner. This place was awesome!!! Very, very good atmosphere, I was jealous that he was staying there! There is a big kitchen near the big living room. :-) It's a must!

Unique Quality: The great atmosphere and the location, in the city centre.

Directions: On the north side of the river, near O'Connell Bridge.

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo

Incredible good location

We went to Dublin in July, meaning that most hostels and hotels were quite full. Luckily also Abbey Court Hostel, who instead gave us the offer to take one of their appartments who were not "even around the corner"-way from the hostel. Just 20 meters away.
    Me and my friend of course took the offer, and got a nice appartment for ourselves. Four beds, with one of them being a double, kitchen, balcony and your own bathroom.

And all this for 88 euro/night. No matter if you're one or five person in the appartment.

So to say the least we were very pleased.

The appartment isn't very luxury though, and the bathroom wouldn't feel bad about some restauration. But with the location of this appartment there can't be much better places.

Both the appartment and the hostel is situated on the Bachelors Walk, next to the big O'Connel Street. 200 meters away, max, is the Temple Bar-area, with all the party going on. If you need party even quicker there are two crazy pubs just to your right when you step out of the appartment-building.

You're close to bus stops, that takes you to both the big bus/train station and the airport.

For a gang going to Dublin to have some fun and party for a while this place is splendid. Just can't be any better.

If you want a 5* hotel, or even just a 3*, you should probably look somewhere else. For those of you who doesn't want your own appartment, the hostel also have rooms for 2, 4, 6 or up to ten persons.

We stayed in an appartment in the third/fourth floor, with no elevator. Took my breath away just going up for the stairs, but it was worth it... :)

UPDATE MARCH 2007: Returned to Abbey Hostel again. Turned down the offer to get an appartment for 100 euro/night, and instead chose to take a double room for 88 euro. That was a mistake...
    I have never seen a more crappy or smaller room, even my bathroom back home is bigger... DEFINITELY not worth 88 euro/night... The location is still fantastic, but it would be more convienent to sleep on the O'Connel bridge then...

Unique Quality: The location. Say it again - the location is fantastic.
    Silent, never heard a sound from any of the neighbours. Might be worse during the rest of the year though, since I guess this is a student house, where the hostel just have 2-3 appartments. The other appartments are for students, on holiday while we were there.

Directions: Follow O'Connel Street until you reach the river. Just before you pass the bridge, turn right and you're Bachelors Walk, where you'll find the hostel. Ask for an appartment, think we had number 20.

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

A great experience!

This hostel was a really nice place to stay. The location is excellent with the River Liffey right in front of you, O'Connell street (literally) just around the corner and the main bus stations (local, to the airport or to other destinations around Ireland) all within a ten minute walk.

I had an 8 bed dorm with ensuite. Although I was there just after the height of tourist season, and for one reason or another ended up getting the dorm all to myself! The beds were very nice and comfortable.

Other facilities/amenities in the hostel:
    - Each bed has its own 'locker' beneath the bunk (which rolls out from the bottom bunk and you can padlock it shut),
    - There is also a luggage room,
    - No laundry (but an iron is available for use),
    - Kitchen (cleaned daily so any food you want to keep there must be labelled),
    - Breakfast is served daily - and included in price of your room:
    Mon-Sat: 7:30am-9:30am, Sun: 8:30am-10am,
    - Dining Hall and T.V Room

Also, rooms are supposed to be vacated for cleaning between 10:30am and 2:30pm, but (after asking) I had no problem going back up to my room during this time.

Access to your room and the hostel is with a key card. The front door is shut at night, but there is always someone in reception to let you in. When you check in you are given a card with a list of 'rules' or general information about the hostel.

Unique Quality: I think the location is really the best quality. The beds were really nice, especially for a hostel and the staff were very friendly and helpful (if you are in need of maps of Dublin, or planning advice for your stay, they will help you out).

On the website below you can book rooms, view them and check out costs for your accommodation.

Directions: The Abbey Court Hostel is located on Bachelor's Walk right in front of the O'Connel Bridge - for a map, check out: http://www.abbey-court.com/location.html

• Carino's Profile Photo

Great Hostel!

Trying to find a good deal, I found the Abbey Court and booked right away. It had the best price by far for a hostel in Downtown.

Unique Quality: The rooms are small but clean. We had a double room and were apart from the other facilities. That's why I can't tell anything about the staff and the facilities.

At least we could try the breakfast buffet, which is small but o.k.... Toast, Butter, Jam, Coffee, Juice.... It's included in the price.

• Cat1976's Profile Photo

It's a Hotel with an 's'

I have stayed at the Abbey Court on numerous occasions and have recommended it to friends. It is clean, comfortable and possibly the best location in Dublin just by O' Connell Bridge. The staff are always friendly and helpful and very knowledgeable about the area and where to go.

Unique Quality: Amazing location.
    Double rooms up to 12 bed dorms.
    TV Room (in case you happen to have seen EVERYTHING in Dublin)

Directions: Crawling distance from Temple Bar and walking distance from all the shops

• It's a hotel with an 's'

I have stayed countless times at the Abbey Hostel and will continue to use it and recommend it to others. It is cheap, cheerful, clean and central. The staff are friendly and extremely helpful and the rooms can cater for parties from one to six....great for hen weekends or just a city break to Glorious Dublin!

Unique Quality: Excellent location!

Comments