Abraham House Hostel

Abraham House
Booking.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Average

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Friendly reasonable hostel quite central

I booked this hostel through Hostelbookers.com -chosen due to price and location. I found it quite easily.

The staff were all helpful and friendly, breakfast included- toast (with Nutella, jam or marmalade), cereal, tea/coffee and fruit squash/juice. One morning there was tinned grapefruit.
    (There is a Tesco supermarket on N. Earl Street, that opens quite late, for further supplies!)

Bedding supplied.
    Towels can be rented.

Internet 1 Euro for 10 minutes (i think)
    Lots of Tourist info.
    Secure lockers
    Drinks and chocolate/ crisps vending machines
    Small lounge with TV and fruit machine

24 hour reception. Staff operate main door and door to bedrooms.

Probably not suitable for those with mobility problems
    Hostel accessed by a flight of steps.
    My dorm was on the first floor, reached through a couple of narrow corridors.
    Breakfast room in basement, down 2 flights of stairs.

I was on a limited budget, so had to opt for a en suite 4 bedded dorm, for 3 nights.
    I paid 36 Euros (£30.68) for my stay.
    The dorm was basic- 2 x bunk beds. waste paper bin 1 x double socket. View over yard area.

Tiny bathroom with shower, basin and WC.
    As I was only needing to use the hostel for sleeping, this didn't bother me too much.

The majority of guests here were friendly. I'm afraid that I wasn't so lucky with my 'room mates' 3 girls who treated me as if I was invisible, hogging the bathroom- taking long showers at 2 am, whispering non stop etc etc. I stuck them for 2 nights, then reception found me a bed in a mixed dorm for my final night, which was fine-

Unique Quality: The hostel is a bit dated and shabby in parts, but the staff were all friendly and helpful.

Central Location - 5 minute walk from Airport bus stop on O'Connell Street.

Local bus service No 41 (not 41 a/ b or c!) to airport stops opposite Hostel - 2.20 Euros - pay driver exact amount. Timetable on hostel reception desk.

3 minutes walk to Connell Station for Dart and trains to other parts of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
    10 minutes to Temple Bar

Directions: From The Spike, Walk up N Earl Street, the one with James Joyces statue, at the end, turn Right into Lwr Gardiner St. Cross over the Pedestrian crossing, then continue up this side of Lower Gardiner Street. No 82 is the hostel.

• Christina1881's Profile Photo

Very helpful staff

We just stayed one night at the Abraham House, so ofcourse I can not tell about more than a few hours of impressions, but most of all I want to mention the very helpfull staff. They were really doing their best to advice us on all that we asked.
    The facilities... the room was nice, clean and spacy. We stayed at a four-bed-room, and the bathroom was quite small, one could hardly turn around in there when the door was closed, but since we were only there for one night I survived!!!!!
    The breakfast was not as good as we had hoped for, but also we survived!!!!

Unique Quality: The staff - I can not get over how helpfull they all were!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Abraham House

This hostel is a labyrinth of narrow corridors, stairs and doors (to come to the room where I stayed you have to go through nine doors).

There is a kitchen with many tables, and a majority of them where occupied by groups eating at nine o’clock the evening I arrived. Nine o’clock is the time when the kitchen closes and you have to be finished with your cooking, but you can still sit down and eat after. A light breakfast is served in the morning between 8 - 10 and it consist of a piece of bread, butter, jam, orange drink and tea or coffee.

I booked a bed through Internet 1,5 months before arriving. For a bed in a 10-bed female dorm I was going to pay 71 Euro for four nights (Sun - Thu). As I made the reservation I paid 7.10 Euro in deposit. The day before going to Dublin I checked the Internet and saw that the price for the dorm was now only 11 Euro per night (44 in total). When I arrived I pointed that out and paid 40 Euro, which makes it 47.10 in total for four nights.
    The dorm was not a 10-bed dorm though but a 20-bed dorm. There is one shower and one bathroom, which was okay as long as the room was not full. My last night the room was full and that caused some queues.

The dorm was in the basement and it was a bit cold and the mattresses were very inconvenient. And there were nowhere to sit in the dorm, except on the bed (but then you hit your head in the bed above). In the reception area there were two computers with free Internet and they were always occupied in the evenings. The other tables were often occupied by people using their laptops.

In all hostels it should be absolutely forbidden to have a mobile phone on during the night when you stay in a dorm!

Abraham House is okay and it is cheap, but I don’t feel that this is where I must stay next time I go to Dublin.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Centrally located

I usually try and spend my time in a city in a hostel or two to get a feel for what the city has to offer. I spent three days in this hostel with my mom and dad and it ended up being a great value with friendly staff. They were very helpful and the hostel has a great location.

Unique Quality: Centrally located and live music down the corner on the left side means you can get a good insight to Irish pub life only a few hundred meters from your door. They have free baggage too. The have fully equipped kitchen facilities as well as free city maps.

Directions: From Dublin Airport - Take the 747/748 Airlink shuttle to Busarus bus Station or the 41 BUS to Marlborough Street - 3 minute walk to Abraham House.

From Dun Laoghaire Port - Take the DART to Connolly Station, then a 5-minute walk to the hostel.

• clmbsb's Profile Photo

Very good stanard

We booked a 3 bedded en-suite room via Hostelworld for 3 nights for a total of approx £205. The room was basic but served its purpose which was a good nights sleep and a nice shower. The room had teas and coffee macking facilities along with a tv. We were located right at the back on the top floor so it was a bit of a trek but was also very quite. The location of the hostel was great, less then 5 minutes to O'Connell Street and bridge.

Some someone staying for the weekend and who is not expecting luxury then this is the place for you.

• laura4n8's Profile Photo

Good location and fun staff

Abraham House was the average hostel. Nothing really made it stand out from others at which I've stayed. Though, the staff was extremely friendly, especially Chamiss, who I guessed was the manager. He enthusically (that may be too mild of a word) described all the places we needed to visit and patron. And his map services were priceless!

We stayed in a dorm room with an ensuite bathroom. With a group of seven, it was a great option and the bunk beds made us feel like we were at summer camp all over again!

The rooms and bathroom were clean and we never ran out of hot water. Although the room was a little toasty and we had to open the window to get some fresh air.

Note: you have to pay a deposit for towels -- per person. You get the full deposit back but it's nice to be aware of that in advance. You also can pay a deposit for a hair dryer. Again, you get the deposit back.

Unique Quality: The location was convenient. We easily walked to Temple Bar and other attractions. Plus the train and bus station was only about a 5-10 minute walk.

• salseracubana's Profile Photo

Not So Good

Positives: big dorms are relatively cheap, kitchen is social, daytime receptionists are professional, kitchen and cleaning staff are nice.

Negatives: duvet covers not changed between guests, creaky bunk beds, dorms of all sizes are noisy, often no water in large upstairs dorms on weekends, fridge is too small, kitchen underequipped, evening receptionists (especially Trish and boyfriend Decklin) have no concept of customer service and can become aggressive if you disagree with them.

• salseracubana's Profile Photo

Hostel in Dublin

If you look closely at the the first review, it reads like a brochure, not a personal tip, so I checked "not accurate".

There are a few good things about this hostel:

The large dorms are cheap (10-12 euros in low season, especially if booked on Internet). The kitchen is social.. Most of the staff are nice, including the very professional Seamus and Celine on weekday reception, Katherine in the kitchen, and the cleaning staff.

There are lots of drawbacks however:

Some of the evening receptionists (especially Trish and her boyfriend Decklin) have no concept of customer service, and can even become aggressive if you disagree with them.

The duvet covers are not changed between guests.

On weekends when the hostel is full, there is often not enough water in the dorms on the top floors.

If you want to stay in the cheapest big dormitories, Internet customers pay less (E10 , low season) than walk-in customers, especially on weekends.

If you stay more than a few days, bargain hard for cheaper prices, even if you are told that you already have a hefty discount. (Ask the Spanish guys what they pay, for example.Seamus is probably the best employee to talk to about prices -weekdays?).

Also, for long-term stays, make sure you reserve a room and fix a price thru as many weekends as you need to, because if not , you will spend half your day changing beds and be without a room from check out to check in (10:30 to 3:00). Or worse yet, they will tell you on Thirsday that you don't have a bed for the weekend.

• Groentje's Profile Photo

Our Homestead

We booked our accomodation through www.hostelworld.com, a site which holds a great deal of hostels (if not all) all over the world After some thorough research, we decided to take this place, and it was quite nice! It's not a hotel, of course, but the rooms were airy, beds were made every night, ... Its location is good as well: not really far from the city centre, easy to reach from the airport, ... The people behind the counter were very helpful as well, phoning whenever we wanted to make reservations...
    I think I'd go back there if I'm going to Ireland again!

Directions: Near the Customs House and about half a mile from O'Connell Street

• Tamara77's Profile Photo

Abraham's House, one of the...

Abraham's House, one of the many hostels on Lower Gardiner St. but definitely my favourite!
    10 irish pounds in the weekends for a bed in a dorm,
    7,50 irish pounds during the week (dorm bed)

Unique Quality: Great price, comfortable beds, big kitchen/television room. Extremely nice staff, especially Seamus (say hi to him from me!!)

Comments