Anchor Guest House

49 Lower Gardiner St., Dublin, County Dublin, 1, Ireland

Anchor House Dublin
Booking.com HostelBookers.com Priceline.com

More about Anchor Guest House

Cute and affordable place in Dublin

by TripAdvisor Member kshe3638

The Anchor Guesthouse is centrally located in Dublin. Although it is north of the Liffey, and some travel books make this area sound like its not worth it to stay there, we found it to be very easy to get around, including to and from the airport. Everything was within walking distance. The staff was very friendly, rooms and bathrooms were clean, and the breakfast was fantastic and very satisfying. There is 24-hr reception, and we even got a wake up call in the morning. The only downside was that our room had a view of the parking garage, but who really comes to Dublin to look out the hotel window? I definitely recommend this option in Dublin.

Seriously disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Solent_Oxford

My wife and I went to Dublin for a long weekend away. We picked the Anchor Guesthouse because of the friendly, relaxed-looking website. Don't be fooled by the homely-looking photos: this is not a small, personal B&B, it's a small hotel.

We were very disappointed from the outset. Arriving at around 9.30pm, we were greeted at the door by a member of staff who spoke very little English and who whisked us unceremoniously to our room without any pleasantries or explanations. I had to go find him later to ask where and when breakfast was served.

The room was basic but adequate, although it lack some real basics: no soap (let alone any other toiletries), no hairdryer unless you specifically asked for it, no local information or even hotel information (we later found some hotel information on channel 1 of the television accompanies by awful music). Most disappointing of all, no tea or coffee facilities unless you paid an additional 6 Euros! I have never stayed anywhere, awful or brilliant, where you have to pay for tea or coffee in your room.

The room was noisy at night - perhaps inevitable in central Dublin.

Breakfast the next day was nice enough, although again the staff were not exactly friendly.

Some good points: it was clean and tidy; the bed was comfortable; it was well located.

Overall - I'd look for somewhere else.

Anchor is good

by TripAdvisor Member Skip1951

Anchor does a nice job and better than most. Older building but well taken care of. Staff is professional. Breakfast choices are very good. You won't go away hungry. If you are looking for quiet ask for a room on the court yard since the street and alley sides of the building can be noisey at night. This is close to the Abby theater and VERY close to the bus station where you can catch the express bus to the airport.

Neighborhood is ok but not fancy. There are seveal other B and B's and hostels on the block. I heard from several people that we should not walk more than a block or two north because neighborhood is not always safe as you move away from this location.

At the end of the block there is a Internet "cafe." where they are very easy going.

You are within a few blocks of attractions that are north of the river.

Tip: if you want really authentic Irish music (not RiverDance) in a local pup and you are not afraid of a slightly sketchy neighborhood try the Cobblestone Pub. We cought a great session of music last Friday night with mostly locals in attendace. Be warned it looks like this pub has not been cleaned in 50 years. However the staff was nice enough and the music was outstanding.l The only food available was a bag of chips.

Good little B&B

by TripAdvisor Member melly7

This is a nice, centrally located B&B in the Dublin city centre. It's within walking distance of pretty much everything!! It's clean and tidy and the bathroom was gleaming (which is very important in my books!). The day time staff and the owners were absolutely lovely, and would probably give you one of their kidney's if you asked for it! Unfortunately couldn't say the same for the night staff, who were fairly surly. I know its the worst shift possible, but hey, it's your job.

Only downfall of being very centrally located, was the noise. Although I was on the top floor, the traffic and nearby train line noises were quite annoying, but that is what earplugs are for!

I'd stay here again!

Pretty decent place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Stargell

I stayed hear a while, ago, so am going by memory.
The one thing I remember is having to lug our bags up so many flights of stairs, but I really don't think you can expect an elevator in a guesthouse; still it seemed like many floors.

Overall, the location was just fine, near North Bridge and walking distance to everything north and south of the Liffey. I think it was a little noisy being right near the busy street, but that's the payoff of staying close in.

I remember having positive thoughts on the cleaniness, rooms, food, and no complaints about service.

My general memory of the place was positive, and it looks cool from the outside too.

really nice guest house - good value

by TripAdvisor Member davejm

I was really pleased with the Anchor guest house. It has some of the facilities and standards of a hotel, yet it’s very affordable at guesthouse prices. I stayed in a room in the hotel extension at the rear of the hotel and it was basic but clean, quiet and a good size, with a comfortable bed.
Personally I think the location is excellent as it’s only a couple of minutes walk from the main street (O’Connell Street) and the main pub/restaurant area (Temple Bar). Although some people might say its best to be right in the heart of Temple Bar, I doubt they would get much sleep there as its streets are very noisy till the early hours. The Anchor is on a much quieter street and is handy for the bus and train stations.
They have a 24 hour reception which is a bonus and it’s nicely decorated. I can’t fault the breakfast (had the full Irish breakfast) which was tasty and the staff seemed friendly enough. Overall, an enjoyable stay.

More like a Hotel, than a B&B

by TripAdvisor Member Masonry4life

I stayed here for a few nights with my Girlfriend; It was clean, very small bathroom. Also very loud but then again its on a main street. The room had a bed, and 12inch TV thats it. For the location I guess it was good. As for the room to relax in, don't bother the couch is very small and uncomfortable. This place is more like a hotel than a B&B.
If your looking for a romantic getaway this is not the place................

First B&B experience turned out nice

by TripAdvisor Member mbentonfl

The decor is average but very clean. The staff tries very hard to make sure that all of the guests are happy. They even offered to make a special breakfast for us early so that we didn't go to the airport hungry. The location is ok, probably the farthest edge of where you would want to stay to get to the top attractions. P.S. bring your own soap.

A Delightful Stay

by TripAdvisor Member BrdLvr

My husband & I were given room 23. Accessable from the lift in the new addition. It was clean , quiet & comfortable. A well located establishment. About a 4 minute stroll to the main bus station & easily walkable to all the major sites of Dublin. Excellent breakfast, with very good coffee & a well set table. I had lost a personal item when it happened to fall down into the elevator shaft. They took the time to find it and mail it back to me. How wonderful of them. We also enjoyed the music from "O'Shea's" , about a half a block to the north on the opposite side of the street. Get there early to get a seat. I would definately stay there again.

Comments