Tolka Valley, Dublin, County Dublin, 11, Ireland

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Hotel closer to the airport

For our final night in Dublin I wanted a hotel that was on the north side of the city so we could easily find it coming from the M50, return our rental car the next morning but also not too inconvenient to the city center since we wanted to have dinner there that night. This hotel worked fine for that purpose, I wouldn't have wanted to stay here for multiple nights because of the location but for one night it was fine.

There is a bus stop right outside the hotel, either bus 140 to O'Connell Street or 40/40a which goes to Parnell Street, the trip takes about 15 minutes

Unique Quality: The room was actually quite nicely decorated, clean and comfortable. Tea/coffee service in the room, hairdryer and flat screen TV.

Free parking in an underground parking garage, just down the street from a large Tesco where we got food for breakfast, filled up the car with petrol and paid our M50 toll at a nearby newsagent.

More about Ardmore Hotel

Dublin bus

by Dabs

We found most of Dublin to be walkable, we even walked from Ballsbridge over to the Watling Street Bridge near the Guinness Brewery which had seemed so far away when I did the HOHO bus the previous year. But for our final night in Dublin at the Ardmore Hotel, that was too far to walk to central Dublin so we used the bus that stopped just outside our hotel. The fares are based on stages, deduct the boarding stage number from the alighting stage number or you can do like me and just ask the bus driver.

From the Ardmore Hotel is was €1.80 each way, you pay the bus driver and must have exact change in coins, not paper. If you don't have exact change, the driver will issue a passenger change ticket for the overpayment which you have to take to Dublin Bus, 59 Upper O`Connell Street, in get a refund but that seems like more trouble than it's worth.

If you are planning on using the bus a lot, there are different options for day passes, multiple day passes and family passes, for more info click here and look at the different options for adult, family, tourist, and student tickets. The tourist tickets look to include the hop on hop off bus so be sure to check out the other cheaper options if you don't want that.

The buses are double decker, go up the stairs to the top and see if you can get the front seats for a nice view.

Good Value Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member chrbuff

I was a bit wary of this hotel but I booked it because it offered the best price. I must say that the hotel far exceeded our expectations. It was a very satisfying experience and if I were to return to Dublin I would not hesitate to book again. We had a room on the top floor, nice view and rather quiet. It seems that the walls of the rooms are very thin as you hear everything that happens in the corridor, but the room was very clean and comfortable and that is the most important.

The breakfast was generous although it looks like being cooked too much. Still not much to complain there either.

I find that much of the reviews posted here are unfair. THe hotel offers good value for the price quoted. The bar has reasonable prices if you want to have a drink there in the evening. If you want to go to the city centre, its just a 20-30 minute bus ride.

Cheers to the Ardmore Hotel!

Very Good Choice

by TripAdvisor Member IOM06

North American visitors will probably find Ireland a relatively expensive country in most regards, including accommodation. However, the Ardmore Hotel turned up in my Web searches as one of the most reasonable hotels in the Dublin area, and I doubt I could have found a nicer place for the price. It turned out to be a pleasant, comfortable end to my trip.

The hotel and rooms are spotless with comfortable beds and some nice touches like flat-panel TV, in-room coffee/tea, hair dryer, nice showers, and even anti-fog bathroom mirrors! The front desk personnel were courteous and efficient, and will be glad to book a return taxi to the airport for you for about 20 Euro. There is also a coin-operated Internet terminal in the main lobby. The Cream Restaurant looked nice, but at 35 Euro for dinner I pretty much lived off take-away food for a few days. They also offer room service food with sandwiches and salad for about E4.50.

The Ardmore is located on a busy 4-lane road in a nondescript residential area with apartments and some new construction. It is not in an inconvenient location; just don’t expect it to be walking distance from many major attractions. Taking the bus easy, fun and part of the Dublin experience (there is a stop right across the street) and bus fares are also quite reasonable. I would allow 25-30 minutes’ ride into the city center during busy times to allow for traffic and frequent stops, however.

The “Airlink” city buses (No. 747; tickets are available at the airport information desk) leave Dublin Airport about every 20 minutes and will go to O’Connell Street in central Dublin, making other stops along the way. I found that street signs are not very visible, so ask which is the O’Connell street stop otherwise the driver will continue along his route. You will then need to walk a ways on Upper O’Connell St. to Parnell St. (look for the Parnell monument and Ambassador Theatre). Take a right on Parnell St. and the first two bus stops are where the bus route ends and starts, respectively. Any of the 40 A/B/C buses should take you up Tolka Valley Rd. by the Ardmore. If you have a fair amount of baggage to carry or if it is raining you might find it more convenient to take a taxi instead of the bus.

Contemporary, Clean, Incredibly Cheap, Somewhat Sterile and Remote.

by TripAdvisor Member DerekDoom

I am a native of Dublin and i was looking, at very short notice, for somewhere to spend one night that was reasonably priced and of an acceptable standard, going by reviews on tripadvisor and my familiarity with Dublin's geography I chose the Ardmore hotel, I cant recall the exact price but it was astonishingly cheap for a Dublin hotel at such short notice.

While the hotel is certainly not 'in' Dublin city, it is only a short bus ride away from O'Connell street, Dublin cities main thoroughfare and the centre of the city. It is close enough by taxi to the airport but if you are travelling to the hotel from the Dublin airport by public transport you will have to take two buses (changing in the city centre) you should probaby be able to get a taxi from the city centre to the hotel for between 20 and 30 euros. The hotel is also situated within walking distance (Via a busy main road) of Glasnevin, a nice leafy suburb of Dublin wich boasts several nice pubs and restaurants as well as its 'Botanic Gardens', which are well worth a visit. Also, if you're self-catering or simply looking for some toiletries, there is a tesco supermarket just a minute or two away from the hotel.

The hotel itself is clean, contemporary in design, comfortable and quite safe (you have to swipe your way into the elevator with your key-card). The rooms are well appointed and are of quite a high standard. I literally could not find one thing wrong with the double room that we stayed in, the furnishings and design of the room where contemporary and chic, if somewhat generic (more then what you would expect at this price anyway.) I found the room service to be prompt, friendly and efficient but did not have a chance to use the hotels dining facilities. There are ice machines in the corridors outside the rooms (a nice touch) and reasonably sized flatpanel televisions in each room (if you're that way inclined). While the room we stayed in was not overly spacious it did have a pair of leather armchairs and a small table where i was able to 'take my tea'.

Things i did'nt like:

The hotel lacked character, while everything was very new, clean and well designed the general ambience was sterile, isolated and business-like. The hotel was eerily quiet and the lobby was very unwelcoming (it seemed more like an office reception than a hotel lobby). I believe the hotel was built very recently, and it shows, in both a good and bad way.

The Setting: The hotel is located on a busy main road and is surrounded by commercial buildings and (seemingly) half-built residential developments, at night it feels very isolated and by day it is not a pleasant street to walk on (due to heavy traffic). The view from our room was ghastly, i think it was composed of the rear entrance of a commercial building and a graffiti covered refuse facility. Thankfully, a bus stop is situated immediately opposite the hotel.

Finally, though it is probably not a reflection on the hotels staff as a whole, i found the night receptionist to be quite rude almost to the point of being outwardly contemptuous, and i am not easily offended (perhaps he doesnt work there anymore).

In spite of all of these things though, I would definitely recommend this hotel to visitors to Dublin on a small budget, in spite of its less then idyllic location it is very safe, very clean and quite pleasant to stay in. You would'nt find a place as nice any where else in the city at the price that i paid. I really, really liked the room.

A clean & comfortable hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member WorldBreeze

This is a modern, clean and welcoming hotel. The bedroom I had was large, with a comfortable bed, and the bathroom was spotless. The room had a new flat-screen tv with a choice of 20 channels. I got a rate of approximately £50 GBP per night which was a great price for a hotel of this standard.

I'm not sure what planet some of the American reviewers are on regarding the proximity to the city centre. Do you not look on a map before you make a booking? 15 mins outside of the city centre is hardly 'inconvenient'!

There is a bus-stop directly outside the hotel going both ways. Bus no.40 runs every five minutes and takes 15 minutes into the city centre. . The very frequent 747 Airlink bus to the airport can be caught from the other side of O'Connell Street. On top of this, a 5-day rambler pass is available for only 16 euros! This is very Convenient indeed unless you are unbelievably lazy or too good to travel with us Europeans!

As for the area the hotel is in. This is a fast-growing area where new housing developments are rapidly taking the place of older public housing. Yes, there is a housing estate at the rear of the hotel - But who actually goes to a Dublin hotel to stare out of the window!!? The N2 is a busy dual-carriageway, but is quiet between 10pm and 7am which is when most people go to sleep.

The nearby Tesco Extra and Burger King are a godsend to anyone who wants to avoid high hotel food prices.
All in all, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

Frightening

by TripAdvisor Member SuzNt

I didn't actually stay in the hotel but ate in the pub/restaurant and returned to the car park to find that my car had been broken into, along with two other vehicles. It was quite a frightening experience and one which would deter me from returning to the Ardmore.

Quality business hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LandyLover

New hotel, with quality fittings, flat-screen TV with some Sky channels, free broadband internet in-room, free secure underground parking for guests (the receptionist recommended not parking in the public car park outside, even though there is CCTV - I suspect there is a bit of a car crime problem!).

It's easily accessible from the airport and outside Dublin (take the N2 into town from the M50 ring road, and it's on the N2). It's next door to a Tesco supermarket with a cafe (cheap Irish breakfasts!) and a Burger King. There is a bus stop right outside for the bus into the city centre (E1.60, bus no.40).

The only downsides I would say to the hotel is that it's a bit warm and if you open the window there is road noise if you are on that side of the hotel, or the view of the bins if you're out the back. The area that the hotel is in is not the best, it's not dangerous but it's not leafy South Side or anything!

Clean, decent hotel at a reasonable price for Dublin

by TripAdvisor Member KiwiTravelers

The Ardmore is situated in a rather uninspiring area of Dublin, but is close enough to the airport and Dublin City by car. I believe there is a bus stop nearby but never used it since we had a rental.

The facilities were modern and clean and the rooms fairly spacious.
The staff were pleasant and helpful.

I would recommend asking for a room at the back of the hotel though,
as the front of the hotel faces a busy road and it can be quite noisy
unless you have earplugs. The back of the hotel is fairly quiet but not much of a view unless you like looking at a slum area.

We paid 89 Euros a room (twin room) which is not too bad for Dublin and includes breakfast (the breakfast was not much to write home about as they cook it all in advance and it just sits there under hot
lamps - Irish Breakfast and /or cereal) and the hotel is fine as a place to spend the night if you're not looking for something up-market or a budget backpackers. Or looking for accomodation that is not in Temple Bar with a pub or niteclub underneath it.

Nice hotel - awful staff

by TripAdvisor Member daytripper2020

The hotel itself is very nice, clean and modern. There is a nice bar, but the clientele aside from those staying in the hotel can only be described as undesirable. The staff were beyond rude to my friends and I, some of the worst treatment i have ever received. When we asked for a wine list, we were told 'the restaurant has bottles of wine, but they are very expensive'. Dinners ordered at the same time came with 20 minutes difference. The staff glared at us any time we asked anything. Some good customer service training could make this a top notch hotel, at the moment it is sadly lacking.

Comments