Ashfield House Dublin

Expedia.com Booking.com

Tags

Backpacking Budget Travel Music
See Amenities

Worst Hostel we've ever stayed in!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 4, 2007

The WORST hostel we've ever stayed in! They threw away three bottles of wine, two beers and the rest of our groceries, THEN blamed us. I've been hostelling for over twenty years and always label my food--it was the 'customer is always wrong' at this place and 'sorry there is no manager on duty' at all times of the day and night. The disposal of our food was unresolved until we filed a police report. No one seems responsible for anything here. Morning kitchen staff surf the net (hidden away from never to be seen management) while listening to death dirges on the radio at full volume. Disco lighting effect in loo with overhead flashing on and off. No light in main hallway. (All of this reported and still not dealt with-we've left) Youths climbing in and out of windows (needless to say not quietly). Bed like a brick. Orange juice tastes like food colouring added to tap water. One communal fridge smaller than our home one for use by entire hostel. One broken toaster and one that was working if you are willing to wait fifteen minutes for a piece of toast. AND for all this we paid €88 a night (for two)! What a dump! Avoid at all costs. Apparently what it takes to get approval from the Dublin Tourist Board is that the place has a bed. When at the Garda station we were handed a booklet which indicated that 60% of people victimised by crime would return to Dublin. When you experience theft where you stay (all our groceries), theft where you socialise (eyeglasses nicked from pub) and theft where you buy (this place is so expensive it is ridiculous) it seems unlikely that you will want to return. We don't and won't. We go to Ireland frequently but will simply avoid Dublin-the 'unfair' city…crying cock-ups and malefaction, a lie a lie OW!

Unique Quality: Great location.

Directions: Temple Bar area

Travellingismylife's Profile Photo

Hostel in the city centre

by written on December 30, 2006

Until I found a flat for my long stay in Dublin, I slept at Ashfield House for two nights. I was quite satisfied by the hostel! First, it's in the city centre; you can walk to all the principal hot spots of Dublin. The prices include a continental breakfast (when I was there, I got like a big piece of bread, cereals, orange juice, coffee, milk,etc.) and I'm pretty sure all the rooms have bathrooms and bed linen. The prices are between 13.00 and 20.00 euros for the big dormitory (18 beds). Check out the website for more details about the other rooms and prices. The staff was friendly also!! It's a very good spot, go for it.

Unique Quality: Right in the city centre!!!

Directions: Near O'Connell Bridge, on the south side of the river (the Spire is situated on the north side).

BruinKristin's Profile Photo

Great location and cheap for Dublin

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 10, 2005

We arrived via the airport bus and the drop off was very close to the doorstep of the hostel. The place isn't fancy at all, but it is in a good location for the price. The staff was also friendly and very helpful.

Ashfield House Overview

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 17, 2005

Cheap and central Hostel, near Temple Bar and Grafton Street.

The rooms are basic, clean hostel accommodation, with an ensuite toilet and shower.

This place detinately gets the thumbs up from me.

Unique Quality: Location, location, Location.

Friendly staff, secure building and rooms. Serves breakfast (extra charge)

Area is relatively safe.

Directions: South Dublin, near most of the shops, restaurants, bars and clubs. About five mins walk from O'Connell Street and approx 10-15mins walk from the train Station.

jeninbrighton's Profile Photo

Good value right in the heart of Dublin

by written on July 13, 2005

I'd never stayed in a hostel before, but given the price of hotels in Dublin I was willing to give it a try. I was not disappointed! My friend and I booked the private twin room (40 Euros each per night) so we wouldn't have to share with anyone, and it was just like being in a hotel room. It was clean and quiet. The staff were fantastic and very helpful (especially Tom the night porter!!!). The security was great, and there was no curfew. Meal prices are very expensive in Dublin too, so it was nice to have somewhere to stay with a big kitchen where we could make all our meals. Breakfast was included, but it was a bit disappointing.... just a stodgy bun in a basket with some jam. We ended up buying cereal and eating that instead. (I'm not sure how this breakfast compares to other hostels?) The location was FANTASTIC. Right in Temple Bar - you walk out the door and you're right in the middle of tourist-ville.

Overall this was a great place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to save a bit of money in this expensive city!

Unique Quality: Pool table, internet access, kitchen, security, great location.

Directions: In temple bar.

Mahieu's Profile Photo

Swimming pool inside the room

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 8, 2005

23 euro /pp for a six-bedded room is not much. Especially if you are taking into account that our bathroom was actually changed into a swimming pool after having used the sink. :-) Indeed, there seemed to be a leak, so the whole bathroom flooded, which we discovered of course only the next morning :-)
The rooms were small, and there were also some unidentified marks on the sheets. But we only spent like about 3 hours in the room to sleep, so it didn't bother us that much.

Small continental breakfast included in the price. ( 1 roll, orange juice, coffee, butter and marmelade)

Unique Quality: The location is unbeatable: a 5 min walk to Temple Bar and to Trinity College

Sprucebeer's Profile Photo

Good Hostel in Dublin

by written on August 26, 2003

For our last night in Ireland , we booked a shared room at the Ashfield House. Hostel with affordable private, shared and dorm rooms. We shared our room with a couple, who were very nice, but the poor guy was sick all night. They actually had to call an ambulance for him. We left for the airport that morning as they were taking him to the hospital… hope he was all right. Needless to say the staff there are friendly and very helpful.

Unique Quality: No curfew here, but the front door is locked and you need to show your pass to be let in. The place is very safe and extremely close to the Temple Bar area. No taxis needed. This could also make it noisy if you have a room on the street side. Still I had no problem sleeping. We booked through the hostelworld.com site.

Directions: Corner of Fleet and D'Olier, right behind Westmoreland. When coming across the bridge from O'Connell, the road splits in 2 (D'Olier and Westmoreland), D'Olier is on the left.

Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Dublin's Best Hostel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 5, 2002

It's more than a hostel. If hostel's had ratings, it would be a 5 star.

Unique Quality: It's clean, it's organized, and it has a great location. Really, it's more like staying in a small hotel. There's a bus stop right outside and you're within minutes to Temple Bar and Trinity College. I'm not sure I would stay anywhere else even if I could afford it.

dracko's Profile Photo

Finding a place to stay...

by written on August 25, 2002

Finding a place to stay shouldn't be too much of a problem in Dublin, unless you try to find a bed in the middle of July with no prior planning. That can turn into an adventure. So if you're planning to visit in the middle of the summer, plan ahead. But there are plenty of hostels and B&Bs all over the city, not to mention the hotels. Hostels tend to be decent, at leat the ones I stayed at. Try the Ashfield House.

Directions: As I said, there're places all over. The hostels that I stayed at were all relatively close to the city center. Ashfield House is on D'Olier St, then there's Kinley House on Lord Edward. If B&Bs are y

Nearby Ashfield House Dublin

Amenities at Ashfield House Dublin

• Continental Breakfast
  • Kitchenette

Dublin Travel Forum

Need advice about Dublin, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Dublin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Dublin hotel reviews