Ashling Hotel Dublin

Arts and Culture Historical Travel Trains
See Amenities

Nice hotel right next to Heuston Station

by written on September 6, 2006

As we had such huge rucksacks to carry, we were delighted to find this hotel right by the station. When we got off the airport bus and saw it just across the street we breathed a sigh of relief!

We arrived at reception to check in, I said to the guy *I hope we are on the first floor cos I've got this big heavy rucksack and I can't carry it up many stairs*... he replied *I've put you on the fourth, and the lift is out of order* Funny. But true!!! So I said *Well, can you get someone to carry it up for me?* and he obliged.

Entry to the rooms is by key card. Let me explain about the key cards - 'cos the guy on reception won't!! To switch on the electricity in the room you put your key card in the slot on the wall on the right as you come in the door. We didn't know that, so sat there for half an hour wondering what was wrong with the leccy - maybe the hotel hadn't paid their bill? Maybe there was a power cut?? We had a kettle, but it didn't work, we had a telly but it didn't work.. A few minutes later the porter came up with my rucksack... he tried everything, the kettle, the tv, the lights (we had already done that)... then a light went on ... (at least in his head).. and he said *have you put your key card in the slot on the wall??* *errrr.. Nooooooo?? Should we have done that??* *Yes, that's what switches on the electric in the rooms*. Hooray!! Everyone was happy - and he told us the lift was now working too.

Unique Quality: Very very busy, huge hotel, nice though, very comfy and friendly. Good breakfast - full Irish or continental.... internet access, (but who would do THAT on holiday?? ;-)) and a hair dryer in the drawer!! WhoHoo! Classy!

The tram into the city centre goes right past the hotel and only costs 1.40E - very convenient.

solopes's Profile Photo

Perfect Location

by written on May 22, 2006

I needed to go to Waterford leaving Heuston station at 7.00 AM. Searching internet for a hotel close to the station, I found this hotel, and took the chance. It was perfect.

It stands just across the road from the station, the service was simple as we needed, and at an affordable price.

A little bit outside the centre of town, but you can't be in two places at the same time, and public transport is good. And, for a quick visit, you have also the Guinness factory across the river.

Not a very good hotel

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 10, 2004

Hotel quite a distance from town, but plenty of buses go into town. We had to ask for our room to be changed because of noisy neighbours, slamming doors and showers every 5 minutes. The walls were paper thin.

In our second room the tv was only tuned into 2 channels so we asked more than once if someone could take a look at for us. No one ever did. There was also a musty smell which seemed to be coming from a big damp patch in the corner of the ceiling.

The breakfast is ok but they keep forgetting to offer coffee so I have to repeatidly ask for some.

All in all I would not recommend this hotel and found that I could get some great last minute deals elsewhere in Dublin.

aqazi's Profile Photo

Valentines in Dublin

by written on July 12, 2004

This was all booked at the last minute and our visit to Dublin was a valentines present to my other half. Naturally all the best central hotel were full or were charging premiums so we sort of ended up here becasue we couldn't find anything closer to town.

All in all this was a nice hotel (part of the Best Western Group), the rooms were spacious and the breakfasts were nice. It had a bar too which was good as temple bar and the town centre were a bit of a walk if you just fancied a quick drink.

The guiness factory, museum and railway sation however are all close. This place has a secure car park too which is really handy.

Directions: Near the railway station

Mahieu's Profile Photo

Ashling hotel

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 29, 2004

The hotel is located opposite Heuston Railway Station and close to Phoenix Park. It takes a 20-25 minutes walk to get to the city center. It is a nice walk along the Liffey, but if you prefer you can also take the bus.
The hotel is kind of average. The rooms are clean, but ours needed some refurbishment. The hotel staff was not unfriendly, but I didn't feel the welcome that I usually experienced by Dublin people.
It was ok, but a bit pricy for the service provided.

DUNK67's Profile Photo

The Ashling Hotel

by written on August 25, 2002

Standing near to the banks of the River Liffey the Ashling Hotel, is a friendly and welcoming place to go.
The rooms are of a reasonable size with two single beds in the room we stopped, a fair sized bathroom with bath and showere, ample size storage space and tv and coffee making facilities.
There is a reasonable sized bar, lounge area and function room. In the foyer there are some telephones with email capabilities.
Price: £60 - £80 single; £85 - £112 double.

Directions: Virtually opposite the Guinness Brewery.

Nearby Ashling Hotel Dublin

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Dublin Travel Forum

Need advice about Dublin, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Dublin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Dublin hotel reviews