Ashling Hotel Dublin

Ashling Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Nice hotel right next to Heuston Station

As we had such huge rucksacks to carry, we were delighted to find this hotel right by the station. When we got off the airport bus and saw it just across the street we breathed a sigh of relief!

We arrived at reception to check in, I said to the guy *I hope we are on the first floor cos I've got this big heavy rucksack and I can't carry it up many stairs*... he replied *I've put you on the fourth, and the lift is out of order* Funny. But true!!! So I said *Well, can you get someone to carry it up for me?* and he obliged.

Entry to the rooms is by key card. Let me explain about the key cards - 'cos the guy on reception won't!! To switch on the electricity in the room you put your key card in the slot on the wall on the right as you come in the door. We didn't know that, so sat there for half an hour wondering what was wrong with the leccy - maybe the hotel hadn't paid their bill? Maybe there was a power cut?? We had a kettle, but it didn't work, we had a telly but it didn't work.. A few minutes later the porter came up with my rucksack... he tried everything, the kettle, the tv, the lights (we had already done that)... then a light went on ... (at least in his head).. and he said *have you put your key card in the slot on the wall??* *errrr.. Nooooooo?? Should we have done that??* *Yes, that's what switches on the electric in the rooms*. Hooray!! Everyone was happy - and he told us the lift was now working too.

Unique Quality: Very very busy, huge hotel, nice though, very comfy and friendly. Good breakfast - full Irish or continental.... internet access, (but who would do THAT on holiday?? ;-)) and a hair dryer in the drawer!! WhoHoo! Classy!

The tram into the city centre goes right past the hotel and only costs 1.40E - very convenient.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Perfect Location

I needed to go to Waterford leaving Heuston station at 7.00 AM. Searching internet for a hotel close to the station, I found this hotel, and took the chance. It was perfect.

It stands just across the road from the station, the service was simple as we needed, and at an affordable price.

A little bit outside the centre of town, but you can't be in two places at the same time, and public transport is good. And, for a quick visit, you have also the Guiness factory across the river.

• Not a very good hotel

Hotel quite a distance from town, but plenty of buses go into town. We had to ask for our room to be changed because of noisy neighbours, slamming doors and showers every 5 minutes. The walls were paper thin.

In our second room the tv was only tuned into 2 channels so we asked more than once if someone could take a look at for us. No one ever did. There was also a musty smell which seemed to be coming from a big damp patch in the corner of the ceiling.

The breakfast is ok but they keep forgetting to offer coffee so I have to repeatidly ask for some.

All in all I would not recommend this hotel and found that I could get some great last minute deals elsewhere in Dublin.

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Valentines in Dublin

This was all booked at the last minute and our visit to Dublin was a valentines present to my other half. Naturally all the best central hotel were full or were charging premiums so we sort of ended up here becasue we couldn't find anything closer to town.

All in all this was a nice hotel (part of the Best Western Group), the rooms were spacious and the breakfasts were nice. It had a bar too which was good as temple bar and the town centre were a bit of a walk if you just fancied a quick drink.

The guiness factory, museum and railway sation however are all close. This place has a secure car park too which is really handy.

Directions: Near the railway station

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

Ashling hotel

The hotel is located opposite Heuston Railway Station and close to Phoenix Park. It takes a 20-25 minutes walk to get to the city center. It is a nice walk along the Liffey, but if you prefer you can also take the bus.
    The hotel is kind of average. The rooms are clean, but ours needed some refurbishment. The hotel staff was not unfriendly, but I didn't feel the welcome that I usually experienced by Dublin people.
    It was ok, but a bit pricy for the service provided.

• DUNK67's Profile Photo

The Ashling Hotel

Standing near to the banks of the River Liffey the Ashling Hotel, is a friendly and welcoming place to go.
    The rooms are of a reasonable size with two single beds in the room we stopped, a fair sized bathroom with bath and showere, ample size storage space and tv and coffee making facilities.
    There is a reasonable sized bar, lounge area and function room. In the foyer there are some telephones with email capabilities.
    Price: £60 - £80 single; £85 - £112 double.

Directions: Virtually opposite the Guinness Brewery.

More about Ashling Hotel Dublin

Couldn't Fault It

by TripAdvisor Member joankemp

My husband & I spent a long weekend (Friday - Monday)at the Ashling Hotel.
We have stayed in many 3 star hotels and been disappointed with them as they usually have the reception area decorated beautifully but when you get to the corridors leading to the bedrooms, and the bedrooms themselves, sometimes the wallpaper is torn and the rooms are very small. This was not the case at the Ashling Hotel. We found the bedroom and ensuite to be a good size and well decorated. Being November, the weather was quite chilly, but the heating in the hotel was very good.
The choice of food at the buffet-style breakfast was excellent with the usual hot cooked stuff,porridge, various cereals, prunes, grapefruit, fruit juices, rolls, various kinds of bread, toast, cheese, ham & fruit. I think they had everyone's choice of food covered.
The modern trams ran by the hotel and the tram stops were only approximately 100 yards away to take you into the city centre, about 10-15 minutes away.
Across the river we visited the Temple Bar area, but being in our 50's, found this to be just a rabble and would not visit it again. Every pub was jam-packed full of people, squeezed in like sardines and not our idea of a good night out. We found plenty other pubs on the same side of the river as the hotel, with live music.
The only down side to the weekend was my husband's mobile phone fell out his pocket in a taxi back to the hotel one night. I phoned the number from my mobile and the taxi driver answered, and said he would hand it in to our hotel - but he didn't. Unfortunately, we had no idea of the taxi no. so couldn't do anything about it, other than get a stop put on the sim card etc.

cosy, nice staff, met my needs

by TripAdvisor Member ladyclayton

I stayed at the Ashling Hotel for two nights whilst in town for some concerts. Given the scarcity of rooms that weekend, I was relieved that my travel agent found a place for me to stay at all, but the Ashling was a pleasant surprise. The reception staff was very helpful and professional, the room was generally comfortable (aside from the bed...it was a bit too firm for my liking), and the entire hotel was very clean. After reading horror stories about various tourist class hotel rooms, I was wary, but the Ashling's cleanliness quickly mollified any concerns I had.

The lift was not working when I checked in, so I had to lug two heavy suitcases up to the top floor (not fun to do when you are just off of a 14-hour international flight). Thankfully, the lift had been fixed by the time I checked out, but I got quite a bit of exercise in the meantime.

The Ashling is on the west end of Dublin, just across the river from the Guinness Brewery. The Luas tram, which goes to the City Centre, runs directly in front of the hotel (and the actual stop, Museum, is a short 1-block walk away), but if you miss the last tram, it means either finding a late-night cab or a rather long walk through a deserted and run-down neighbourhood.

I would stay at the Ashling again, but it would not be my first choice. It's a fair deal for the money, and it is clean, pleasant, and meets one's needs, but there are other hotels that are more central, and I would probably stay at one of those first.

Disappointing reception

by TripAdvisor Member Adelaide

We arrived at the Ashling Hotel on our first night in Ireland, looking forward to that 'Irish Friendliness and Hospitality' we had heard so much about.

When we arrived, it was a little busy at reception, but even so, we were disappointed by the way we were treated on arrival. No welcoming words, but we were made to feel like we were a nuisance to them, even though we had spoken politely and with a smile, something I didn't see from any of the receptionists on duty.

We were asked to pay on arrival, rather than on checkout, which is fair enough. On asking whether travellers cheques were accepted, after checking with someone else, we were told yes, so I signed the cheques and presented them. It was at this point that we were informed that there would be a charge for each cheque, but at this stage it was too late to pay via other means, and we were not offered any sympathy for the fact that they hadn't advised us before paying. It was the first time we had come across a hotel which charged a fee to pay their bill via traveller's cheque, but this seems to be the case in Ireland.

The rooms were okay, but nothing special. Reasonable size, clean, but a bit dated. As we were only staying one night it didn't really matter.

Breakfast was included and was quite reasonable, as was the cost of the accommodation.

As mentioned in other reviews, the hotel is a long walk from the main part of the city, and not a great area, but we had stayed there to be close to Heuston Station for a train trip the next day, which we didn't end up taking as we took a coach instead.

Our departure was just as unfriendly as our arrival. We left, vowing that we would never return.

On our return to Dublin, we stayed two nights at the Morrison, which was much friendlier, more helpful, and a much nicer hotel, although of course it cost a little extra, but was well worth it.

Average Hotel for an average price

by TripAdvisor Member caza

This hotel was average. It is on the very outskirts of town with a 20 minute walk into the centre (but the taxi driver warned us not to walk it after 5ish as it is an area for muggers and generally the unsavoury) the tram is great which goes from just outside the hotel and drops off in the centre but stops quite early in the evening.
Rooms were clean and were kept clean by the staff, reception people were a little rude if you asked them any touristy questions.
This is a basic hotel, needs a some renovation inside and out but it was the only reasonable hotel I could find for under £100.00

Best Western Ashling Hotel

Hi,

I am thinking of booking this hotel while I am in Dublin this summer but the last tip made about it here was in 2004, and there are very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. Has anyone stayed there recently, who could give me any up to date info?

I know it's about a 25 minute walk from the city centre but I haven't chose it for that reason, it's more about being close to the station for an early start the next morning.

Thanks,
Maria :)

RE: Best Western Ashling Hotel

by orlikins

it is basically over the bridge from Heuston station, that is the only reason why anyone would stay there :) there are not a lot of hotels nearby (there are a couple of old B&Bs up the street, but not as many as you would expect)

I live near it, but I am not familiar with the actual accomodation itself, so I cannot comment on its facilities etc.

by Mariajoy

Thanks Orla "just over the bridge" sounds perfect! We want to be as close to the station as poss really - it's only for one night as seeing as how we usually stay in cheap hostels, this place will seem like luxury!

by Buckz

Just check- do you want to be close to Heuston Station (Cork Kerry, Limerick Galway, Waterford Kilkenny, Mayo) or Connolly (Wexford Belfast, Sligo)? Either way the Ashling is fine, as the Luas goes past the door, but it would be a pain to be in the wrong station...

by Mariajoy

Hiya Buckz, I want to go to Portlaoise and I thought Heuston Station was the one I needed?

by orlikins

Yeah, Heuston is the right station for Portlaoise.

by Mariajoy

Great. Thanks Orla, That's it then. :)

Comments