Ballsbridge Court Dublin

jmpncsu's Profile Photo

Average Hotel in Dublin

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 25, 2014

We stayed three nights at the Ballsbridge Hotel in Dublin. Overall, our stay was pleasant, but nothing spectacular. The worst part of the stay was the booking process, though this didn't really have anything to do with the hotel. I had originally booked through Hotels.com. Less than a week before we left, there was an issue with my "guaranteed" reservation and I had to pay extra (more than $100) to keep my reservation. Since it was so close our trip and right during tourist season, I didn't really have a choice and begrudgingly paid the extra money. I would never use Hotels.com again and should have just booked through the hotel directly. But that really wasn't the hotel's fault. We arrived early and the hotel held out luggage, as well as on our check-out day, so we could spend more time exploring Dublin, rather than sitting in the hotel lobby. All of the hotel staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful, storing our luggage, providing wake-up calls, calling for taxis, or providing information. The rooms were OK, nothing fancy or worthy of 4 stars, but the beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean, and the bathrooms were fine. We only had breakfast at the hotel once and it was pretty good and they had a good selection of breakfast foods, although it was a bit expensive. The location of the hotel is pretty good, though it's a bit of a walk to the city center where most of the tourist attractions are located. I walk a lot, so I didn't mind the 2-km or so walk to Trinity College, Temple Bar, Grafton Street, etc., though if you're not keen on walking a lot, it could be a bit far. Overall, it was a nice stay, but nothing exceptional, given the price and the expectation of 4-star. Given the large number of accommodations in Dublin, we would probably stay somewhere else the next time we visit.

SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Low End of Dublin's High End Market

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 15, 2008

Once upon a time there was a fabulous, glittering hotel in Dublin's very snooty D4. All but next door, as it was, to the infamous Lansdowne Road international rugby grounds, its five stars attracted the very top end of the Irish local and international tourist market. I clearly recall a friend, N, boasting how her Father had a penthouse at the top of this landmark hotel in which he stayed every time he did business in Dublin.

Oh how I longed to stay there.

Oh how those days are gone.

About two years ago the hotel and its two neighbouring hotels, Jurys Ballsbridge and Jurys Towers, were purchased for an exponential number of millions and the idea, I hear, was to knock the three hotels and build apartments.....or maybe it was a mall.....or whatever. That was when the Celtic Tiger was still big and bold and lining the ever deepening pockets of the new Irish aristocracy - the developer.

I'm not sure what happened as the three hotel buildings are still in situ. Maybe they're waiting on planning permission or whatever but, in the meantime, they are still being used as hotels. - all under the heading "D4 Balllsbridge" they bear the respective names of "Inn", "Towers" and "Court".

We stayed in the Court, allegedly the upper end of the three. I was not hugely impressed.

In fairness, for the cost (€130 per room per night), it's in the better part of Dublin, the public areas are still very glitzy, the staff are friendly and helpful, and it's clean; but that's more or less where the good ended for me.

The rooms are small average in size and still furnished with the dark rosewood furniture that was sheer luxury 30 years ago. In the meantime, the mini bars have been emptied, the glasses all removed with the exception of the two bathroom tumblers, and so have the tea and coffee maker. The one luxury is an iron.

We had a twin room and the beds were the old fashioned narrow singles. In mid June they were still using the Winter heavy duvets.

In the bathroom there was one hand towel, one bath towel, a slim soap, a vial of shampoo, and another of bath gel. The shower is, once again, the one that dangles over the bath behind a plastic curtain.

There is no room service and while the food in the bar is not at all bad, there's a very small selection indeed. That saying, while we sipped strong and freshly ground cafe Americano and ate hot buttered scones, we noted that another guest who was (like us) too late for breakfast was nevertheless served fluffy scrambled egg and toast in the bar. Made me realise this hotel can be flexible, and that's nice.

Unique Quality: The hotel was just too basic for me. However, for those who are not as fussy and don't mind that "jaded" appearance and limited facilities, it's a bargain at those prices for the area it's in.

Ignore my pickiness, give it a try, and let me know what you think.

SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Change of Name

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 15, 2008

NB. This hotel has changed its name to D4 Ballsbridge Court Hotel and is far from the gleaming five star gem it once was - nor does it pretend to be!

Read on in my tip on this hotel under its new name.

4 Photos of Ballsbridge Court Dublin

Dublin Travel Forum

Need advice about Dublin, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Dublin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Dublin hotel reviews