Beacon

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

More about Beacon

Very disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member CHH

Very disappointed with our stay in the Beacon. On arrival to car park, two floors below hotel lobby, we could hear disco music, when we took the lift to hotel reception, there was a DJ in the hotel bar, (which is open plan with the restaurant & lobby) it was so loud we could not hear what the receptionist was saying to us i.e. our room number. I had reserved a King room but was given a twin, hotel blamed a new reservations system for the error. The room was ok, the bathrooms are lovely. I had made a reservation for dinner with my room booking & reception confirmed it but restaurant had no record of it. We were given a table as they did have room for us. Due to the of the noise of the DJ, the waitress could barely hear are order, & as a result mixed up our order, was nearly impossible to have a conversation over dinner because the music was so loud, staff in the restaurant were very nice & were as upset as us with the noise. When I suggested at reception that they put a warning on their website that they have a Disco in the lobby on Fridays they advised that they're website does say they have entertainment each Friday.... I was unable to find any mention of entertainment, but bar was described as on their website as 'mellow with candelight and crystal setting.'

This hotel tries to recreate the style and coolest of an New York nightclub mixed with the elegance of 5 star boutique hotel but sadly fails. They have tried to make themselves different in an effort to stand out and entice the people visiting Dublin out from the city and, to their surprise, into an industrial estate -which was the view from our room! Templebar & the buzz of the city doesn't translate to the suburbs as well as they hoped. I have stayed in 4/5* hotels and this doesn't come close, overall a very disappointing experience.

A Wonderful Weekend Stay

by TripAdvisor Member sailorann

In our first two nights in Dublin we stayed at the Beacon Hotel. I was a bit nervous as the hotel is outside Dublin proper, but was very pleasantly suprised at the accomodations and modern decor of this hotel.

From Dublin airport the taxi charge is about €45. We arrived at the airport about 11:00 am and the hotel staff checked us in right away. The hotel is very modern and has a club like atmosphere. It seems as if many couples come there on the weekends for a quick getaway.

The hotel room was very nice and spacious. For about €110 per night we got the equivalent of a suite, no breakfast included in that discount rate however.

The hotel is in an "Industrial" business complex. Don't be fooled by the word "industrial". I was expecting the hotel to be beside a steel mill! Industrial is really more to describe an enclosed business complex. Many of the big foreign companies like Microsoft set up shop in the suburbs, so there are business hotels like this one that cater for short stays. All the shops, clubs, etc. are contained in one area called an industrial complex.

The Luas (Irish for fast) tram is about 7 minutes walk from the hotel. A roundtrip ticket from the Kilmacud station to St. Stephen's Green will cost you about €4.30 and only takes about 15 minutes to get there. I would not recommend traveling here late at night alone as the walk from the station back to the hotel goes through a very large and abandoned field. There are not many people that walk around this area as it is a suburb and everyone drives.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The only reason I did not give this a 5/5 was because I felt the hotel staff could have been a bit more friendly.

Nice Rooms, terrible restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member APUK

I stayed at The Beacon for 2 nights at the beginning of August. I stay here regularly on trips to Dublin. The rooms are great, I always book a king. The duvets & pillows are high quality down, there's an LCD / Plasma TV on the wall opposite the bed and everthing is white. The bathrooms are the best ever - designer bath & seperate shower - White Company designer toiletries. The hotel is in Sandyford which is quiet a bit south of central Dublin but it is nearby the Luas, a tramline that wll get you into St. Stephens Green in 15 - 20mins, it is also near Dundrum Shopping Centre & Leopardstown Race Course. The downside to this hotel is that the 'My Thai' restaurant is not good. The menu is boring & the food is of a very poor standard . The staff at The Beacon are also very young & inexperienced & could do with alot more training. Although the restaurant food is poor the breakfast s great. Book this hotel if you're into hip contemporary boutique style properties.

Very trendy (???) place

by TripAdvisor Member megger98

We got our room from lastminute.com, a site that helps you get cheap rooms last minute. The rooms go for approx 200euro a night, and it's not the kind of hotel we'd normally stay at. Everything in the room is crisp white and the bed was super comfy. The bathroom was large and very nice, but the noise from the bar area downstairs through the open window (necessary because it was sooo hot in the room) made sleep less easy. It's a super trendy place with a bed lounge in the bar and a leaf shaped lounge nearby...a bit odd, but a very comfy place to sleep in you want to upgrade for a few nights. The tram is a VERY easy walk away and downtown Dublin is a 15 minute ride. Only downside we found was that the last tram is 30 after midnight, so staying out late required a 20 euro taxi that took over an hour to hail on a busy Saturday night.

Loved the cocktails and the music!

by TripAdvisor Member Corkonian1

Arrived on Firday 24th August to a really bright, contemporary hotel - friends had described it, but seeing was believing! Met in the bar for cocktails and there was a DJ mixing music in the background. One of the girls couldn't decide and the bartender created a cocktail for her based on the drinks she liked - it was fab. Had dinner in the restaurant and we couldn't fault the food or service -it's mainly thai, b ut they have a good selection of european dishes and some of the guys tucked into steaks instead of curry. For a new contemporary hotel it felt warm and welcoming and all the staff I encounered were very helpful.

Terrible stay - snobby staff

by TripAdvisor Member Heretique

I booked this hotel for my boyfriend’s birthday, for a one night stay on a Saturday night in October. On booking the hotel, I had requested that I be given a room on a high floor, away from any bars/restaurants, so we wouldn’t have to put up with any noise. We were given a room on the first floor, just above the lobby. The room was beautiful, definitely the nicest I’ve ever seen, and extremely tastefully decorated.

We left the hotel to attend a concert in Dublin city centre, and on our return, we discovered that there was music playing very loudly in the lobby. When we got to the room, the music could still be heard very loudly and very clearly. Along with that noise, people were smoking in the courtyard, just outside our window making a considerable amount of noise. At 12:40 am I went down to the reception to complain. The music was so loud he was straining to hear me. I was told to go back to my room and the duty manager would ring me in 5 minutes, which he did. I was told that the DJ turned down the music and that the doors out to the courtyard area were now closed. 15 minutes later the music was still very loud and there were more people standing outside smoking, making noise.

Myself and my boyfriend went down to the reception and we met with the manager. We were told that he had done all he could for us. He said the DJ would be finishing up soon but he could not “personally supervise the guests to prevent them going outside”. I told him about my request that we be given a room away from any bars and on a high floor, and he said he was unaware of my request. He explained to us in a very condescending tone that the Beacon Hotel is a “designer boutique” hotel and they have music every Saturday night. I said I looked at their website and it didn’t mention anything about loud music. The duty manager then said it does mention that every Saturday night that there is a DJ in the lobby, to warn potential guests. We asked to see the website and we were told that the internet is password protected and apparently even the duty manager couldn’t access it. He said he could do nothing more for us. We weren’t offered another room on a higher floor, and we felt like we had no choice but to leave, as I couldn’t justify paying for a sleepless night in a hotel where we felt like our custom wasn’t wanted.

This night away was a birthday present for my boyfriend, which was ruined by the noise levels and snobby staff who we felt didn’t respond to our complaint. I have since checked the website, and it does not state anywhere that there is loud music in the lobby which may inconvenience some guests, every Saturday night. So I would advise any potential guests that the Beacon hotel is not suitable for people looking for a quiet night in Dublin.

Very modern hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Hollyirl

Stayed in this hotel in October for a two night stay.

Generally our stay was quite pleasant however there are a couple of points worth noting about this hotel before you stay. On arrival to the hotel the first thing you are greeted with is a lift like a padded cell as all the walls are padded in leather. When we checked into the hotel we had to sit and wait for 15-20 minutes as our room was not ready, this was after a 20 minute drink in the bar as check in is not until 3 o’clock. So all in all we had about a 40 minute wait before we were allocated our room.

This hotel is very modern but a little clinical I think as all the décor is white including all the furniture in the reception area and the bedrooms. It needs a little colour in my opinion although a lot of effort has been put into lighting in the hotel and this does pay off as it gives a lovely effect throughout the hotel, and because everything in the hotel is white it seems not quite clean i.e. sitting in the reception area the chairs look grubby and dirty on the edges which would not been seen in a darker colour. But I am not saying that the hotel is dirty as our room was spotless and really really nice.

The food in the hotel is very good. The crystal bar serves food all day until 10 at night and the menu changes at 5 in the evening. With a mix of eastern and western food there is something for everyone. There is also a restaurant in the hotel which serves Thai food.

The bar is one of the liveliest bars that I have been in in a hotel. There is a resident DJ who plays on a Friday and Saturday night which really draws in the local people not just residents to the bar. However the music in my opinion was not fantastic as it was a lot of dance music but that is just a matter of taste.

The hotel is located between two Luas stations which gives fantastic access to Dublin City Centre and is also located just five minutes from Dundrum Shopping Centre which also offers a Cinema and restaurants.

Over all this is a fantastically located hotel, very modern and clean and great for a weekend break or business trip. Probably not for those looking for a quite, relaxing break but definitely for those looking for a weekend in the big smoke.

What A Mess And Dump! Appalling All Round.

by TripAdvisor Member Roadrunner7631

Worst hotel EVER experienced after quite a bit of travel both at home and abroad. We were booked to stay at the hotel for a Saturday night in September. It was booked through [--]. Firstly the hotel obviously has NO affiliation whatsoever with this website as when we arrived a downright rude and abrupt English lady advised us there was no booking and that the hotel has no dealings whatsoever with such a website. The reservations manager (well thats what she calls herself) later (several weeks) advised us that they do indeed deal with [--] and took full responsibility for the mess. Who knows when two members of the same staff have different stories??!!! Getting back to when we tried to check in we got no satisfaction whatsoever and when asked to speak to a manager we were told there was no point. We were raging at this point and left without a hotel. We rang Dublin tourist authority to be advised that there was not a hotel in Dublin free that night. We ended up in Bray. Before we left the hotel we went into the bar to consider our options-the staff in the bar were 'hanging around' for lack of a better word. We have received e-mails apologising for the inconvenience the hotels appalling staff caused us but thats not much good when you are stranded in Dublin without a hotel. We have also of course been promised a free nights stay in the hotel...................we are still waiting for this. An appalling hotel by any standards and I will not be recommending it to anyone.

Liked the bathroom

by TripAdvisor Member Marc_IT

Ended up here as it was the closest to the office and was working late and missed my flight home.

But what a surprise, lovely hotel, modern with a lot of thought put into the interior design.

My room was well decorated, loved the lighting effect, not too practical having a light under the bed, not the sort of thing I would have at home, but in a hotel it was just the sort of unsual feature that is memorable. The bathroom I really liked, definitely one of the best I've seen, not huge in size but well thought out.

i ate in the bar, food presumably came from the same kitchen as the restaurant, and was very good.

The staff were all very efficent and friendly and this added to my enjoyment.

The only thing I thought strange was the location of the hotel, it's on a business park, miles from the city centre (which is normally where I would stay) so there doesn't appear to be any bars or restaurants within walking distance. Seems like it's there to serve a nearby out of town shopping centre in which case it would be perfect for a girlie trip - my wife would love it.

St. Michan’s Church, the cryptSt. Michan’s Church, the crypt

The Italian quarterThe Italian quarter

Wicklow Mountains at GlendaloughWicklow Mountains at Glendalough

Ha'Penny Bridge. DublinHa'Penny Bridge. Dublin

jury's inn christchurch

by fmeanor

can you tell me if Jury's Inn is all smoke free or do I have to specifically ask for smoke free room? Is there any parking near? I read some older posts on another site from 2007. They spoke of this not being a good neighborhood. Is this still true?

Re: jury's inn christchurch

by northeast80

The entire Republic of Ireland banned smoking inside public places in 2004. So you'll have no problem finding smoke-free rooms as they'll all be smoke free.
I can't comment on the Inn though...maybe someone else can.

Comments