Bewleys Hotel Ballsbridge

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Far From Budget !!

I booked this hotel, part of a budget chain, for a relatively inexpensive weekend night in Dublin. Where most of the others were charging in excess of two hundred euro for the Friday night, we paid just €129 for bed and breakfast. This was a good start.

For many years I always stayed across the road at the Four Seasons, but the Irish recession has put it out of reach for now. I like staying in this part of Dublin as it is very upmarket with excellent restaurants and bars plus very close to the City Centre. For these reasons I decided to try Bewleys.

I was impressed from the start, and indeed it is hard not to be. The building itself, completed in 1882, was once a masonic school and has retained all of its original features and character.

On checking in I was further flattered and impressed to find that we had been given a free room upgrade. Our very comfortable and spacious room was on the fifth floor. We had a double bed plus a single and all the amenities one could wish for. Décor was warm and welcoming, with lots of wood which complemented the history of the hotel. There were extra fluffy white towels in one of the drawers plus extra pillows in zip cases in the wardrobe. Plenty of coathangers were provided for clothes and there was no lack of storage space. The heating was controlled from the radiator and with the Irish climate I found this more effective than air conditioning. There was an iron, a trouser press, and tea & coffee making facilities with plenty of little packets of both. The TV had plenty of channels. The beds were extremely comfortable and I found myself sleeping in late, which I seldom do!

I met friends in the very comfortable bar where service was quick and attentive.

The following morning we enjoyed a very substantial and tasty breakfast in the restaurant. I noted that there was a well furnished covered outdoor eating area also. This would be of great attraction to smokers.

Checkin and checkout were painless with no queues.

Parking was charged extra at ten euro for the overnight. With parking at a premium in the Capital I didn't mind this.

Unique Quality: Excellent and efficient service at mid range prices. Great budget deals are also available here.
    They also offer excellent family packages and welcome children.

Directions: In the Embassy district beside the RDS showgrounds.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Right Jenkins, Junior - report to me !

Bewleys hotel has been created out of what was once a masonic school. It doesn't matter how many flowerbeds, urns and other clutter you add to the outside - it still is unmistakenably a school building. The red brick speaks for solidity, industry and other such stern values.

The conversion, I would say, is certainly a success. Although the vast majority of the building was simply gutted in order to create the bedrooms. At least the main hall was tastefully resored. Normally reserved for conferences, it is worth asking to have a quick look - they won't mind.

The public areas (bar and restaurant) have been placed underground, which is a bit of a pity. One area features a coffee lounge with ' Bewleys coffee', unlike many hotels this place delivers on the caffeine front as Bewleys is primarily a coffee company with a selection of outlets in central Dublin.

Unique Quality: The quality is at the upper end of three-star, and if you can get a deal (50 euro a room in winter is not uncommon). No pools or special features. Any deal with the restaurant involved maybe worth it - we partook of a easter deal that included evening dinner. Nothing out-of-this world, but it was certainly well cooked and presented. Good portion sizes too. Breakfast was OK, but a bit buffetish for my taste. I'm paying enough for this, why should I have to put it on my plate myself ?

• tkotravel's Profile Photo

A Great Dublin Hotel Option

I've stayed here at Bewley's three times - twice on business and once on pleasure. I discovered the hotel when I had business in Dublin including a meeting with the Royal Dublin Society which is right next door. The hotel is an old women's school I believe and the building itself is beautiful from the outside.

The best thing is that it is a flat rate hotel (American style) - last I stayed it was 99 euro a night. Then add in the fact that the DART rail line is a block away and gets you to city center in no time and its a great place to stay. There is parking on site with a slight fee. Some great places to eat in the area and is blocks away from the US Embassy.

Unique Quality: Close to DART
    Parking
    Beautiful Building
    Free internet in the lobby

Directions: Near RDS and American Embassy

More about Bewleys Hotel Ballsbridge

Great Value For The Price! Free Internet Access Too!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ospre

Booked on the internet and got an error message saying that an email confirmation of the booking could not be issued so I emailed customer services and within an hour I had a personal email back saying that the reservation was all OK.

Arrived quite late on a Thursday night and got checked in with minimal fuss, no problems at all.

Room was nice and spacious, very clean and well ventilated. Bed was very comfortable, more comfortable than the £700 one we've got at home!

Rooms well equipped, colour TV, phone, Broadband access point (which is totally free to use), tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer and an electronic safe which was a nice extra to put the passport and other documents in.

Room were cleaned well and had no problems with the housekeeping, we stayed on a Thursday/Friday and Saturday night and despite there being several hen parties staying there; corridor noise was very low as the rooms are quite well insulated.

Checked out without any problems too.

In the lobby there is a public internet access terminal but expect to queue for it as it's popular, take your laptop instead and use the free point in your room.

Surroundings of Ballsbridge very leafy and pleasant, Sandymount DART station is about five minutes walk away and the DART is now running a full service at the weekend!

Overall an excellent place to say, we didn't have a car but a word of warning the car parking arrangments looked a little bit chaotic and you also have to pay about €6.25 a night to park in the hotel grounds. There is street parking nearby in the same road where the DART station is and it looked quite safe.

Good value hotel in nice suburb of Dublin

by TripAdvisor Member spacekid

Stayed at Bewleys for a couple of nights on business. Nice location, opposite the posh Four Seasons hotel. The reception staff were a bit miserable but were perfectly efficient. My room was a family room as all the other rooms were booked up, so I had an extra bed and a sofa. The room was very clean and spacious. There aren't many 'extras' e.g. toiletries, bathrobe etc.. but then, for the 95 euros price, I wouldn't expect that. There is complimentary internet access in the foyer and also in a little office downstairs next to the meeting rooms. The best thing about the hotel for me was the restaurant - the food is really excellent and is all gluten free. If you have a sweet tooth, you'll love the desserts which come in little pots and you get two - you can choose from orange creme brulee, raspberry ice-cream, vanilla pannacotta etc.. Delightful! The breakfast was just OK - bit of a self-service scramble to be honest. All in all, a good hotel in a nice location. Although I didn't use it, public transport is good and it takes about 10 - 15 mins drive in a taxi to get to the city centre.

Great Place to Stay, Very Pleased

by TripAdvisor Member bepoore

Happy with the room, hotel, surrounding area and the people. We stayed there two days and always walked into town and it never seemed that far. The free internet was great and there were plenty of channels on the TV to fall asleep to. I think the best part of it was that we were able to check in at 9:30am. I have never been able to check in that early at a hotel ever. So just for that reason alone I give it an "excellent."

Great Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Cocoachini

For what we paid and location, I think we did very well. Right from the airport, there is a shuttle that takes you to a number of hotels and Bewley's is the last stop...and it was very reasonable (You don't have to worry about transfers or how to get there). The hotel itself was very reasonable and the commuter train is just a block away and it takes you to the heart of Dublin. We did walk to downtown Dublin and I would recommend that but it is a bit of a walk. The hotel is great but I would not recommend eating there as it is quite expensive. Hope on the commuter train into Dublin and you have so many choices. The only down side was that there were renovations at the time we were staying there. Apart from that, the rooms were spacious, staff were friendly and it was a quiet place. They had free internet access. If you are visiting Dublin, then you will not go wrong here.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member charnett

first impressions were impressive.and not changed throughout our stay. check in check out fast even when not using the express checkout.room large with all you need for a pleasant stay. nice late checkout, (12am).so no early rush on your last day.restaurant very good, the early bird definitely worth the effort. (seated before 19:00).even if you just want a quick snack there is a service counter in the large lounge.it's a good 40min walk into town. but at least it's a straight road. in the city itself even with a map we still had to ask directions, but this was great as we got to talk to the natives.make sure you get the air coach on arrival and not a service bus as it does stop right outside the hotel.

Very Comfortable Hotel

I stayed in the hotel in January with 14 other friends of mine as we were on a hen night and I could
not fault the hotel one bit. From the staff right down to the comfort of the rooms and value for money.

I would really recommend it and the shuttle bus from the Airport cost only €12.00 return which is also great value as it drops you to the door of the hotel and when leaving you get dropped back outside the door of the Airport.

Average at best

by TripAdvisor Member BrianW01

An average hotel. Located some distance from the city centre although service buses do run from outside the hotel. Staff on the whole were friendly and helpful although there were one or two who felt as though we were an inconvenience. Room was clean and comfortable. No hot water from the bathroom sink.

Restaurant was average - a bit pricey and not much choice. Drinks in the bar were also fairly expensive (but you expect this wherever you go in Dublin). Bar/cafe area gets very busy and you find yourself in quite a long queue especially at breakfast and lunch times. The breakfast is edible but nothing special and again quite expensive. They also stop serving food quite early in the evenings. We got back to the hotel at about 9:30pm one evening and couln't get anything to eat other than a sandwich. Others in our party got back about 15 minutes later and weren't even able to order that.

really nice

by TripAdvisor Member Brat74

One of the best hotels we stayed in all week. The rooms were spotless, the staff were very friendly and helpful...Big Puffy pillows and duvet, comfy beds. Even had satellite tv! The hotel was great, but be wary of the restaurant downstairs. Very Expensive, however: they have a buffet that's acceptable if your desparate. you can get a soup and sandwich meal for about 10 euros, although they charge extra for toasting...actually they charge extra for everything that isn't specified on their menu option, oh and don't ask for crackers =( they don't have any. Breakfast buffet is okay if you don't mind feeling like you're in a prison line and when they say five piece breakfast they mean it! ie. 1 sausage, 1 bacon, 2 hashbrowns and one egg (scrambled or fried), they count it when you pay! They also charge .45 euro cents for each packet of ketchup, mayo, etc.(can get pricey if when with kids). So to sum up, Hotel = Very Pleasing, Restaurant = militaristic. Would stay again, maybe even send some friends =).

Any cheap accommodation in Dublin/surrounding area?

by JuC

I want to take my daughters (17 & 13) to Ireland for a week or so in the summer, staying in Dublin or somewhere along the Dart railway line. As I'll be paying for 3 people, cheap accommodation is a must (up to around €60 a night for all of us!). But perhaps unsurprisingly I've found nothing so far. I'd be happy with a hostel that does private en suite rooms. Any suggestions?

Failing that, would it be more affordable visting another part of Ireland (eg Cork, Limerick) instead?

Any advice gratefully received.

RE: Any cheap accommodation in Dublin/surrounding area?

by travelfrosch

You could try Dun Laoghaire, which is right on the DART line. See my Dublin webpage for more details and contact information for the B&B we stayed at. (Mrs. Kane's Seaview B&B) If she's booked, I'm sure there are several others in the Dun Laoghaire / Sandycove area.

Hope this helps!

Mark

RE: RE: Any cheap accommodation in Dublin/surrounding area?

by EllenH

I did not want a hostel as my husband....well you know. But one of the ads on VT pointed me in the direction of hotelsbycity.com and I went there first because of a travelocity update but on vt i found it much cheaper, 49 euro for a room that I guess is small but I really do not care about that.

RE: RE: Any cheap accommodation in Dublin/surrounding area?

by irisheyses1000

Try Bewleys Hotel in Leopardstown. Here they have family rooms for 89euro every night. This is only £60 in UK money. This hotel is located close to the Luas light railway which will bring you to Stephen's Green(city centre) in 20 minutes, it operates every 5minutes.

Bewleys also have a hotel in Ballsbridge which is very close to the Sandymount Dart station. I dont know if they have family rooms here or if its the same price.

If staying in the Leopardstown hotel, then the tram stops also at Dundrum shopping centre which is fairly huge to say the least. Get off at Ballaly stop for this. There is also a horse racing track in Leopardstown, not sure if its got many meetings in summer as that's the flat season and it's a jumps track!

Comments