23-26 Molesworth Street, Dublin, County Dublin, Ireland

Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Costs 54% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

The Feel of the Irish

And we are back in 2011 for times No 4 and 5.

This is the fifth time we have stayed in this beautiful hotel which is one of the oldest Georgian hotels in Dublin. Do not worry if there is no ramp and some stairs as you will find Paddy or Clive waiting at the door to help you. And the staff are all friendly and helpfull. Is being proved in 2009 as our booking in Killarney was all wrong and we had to change dates at Buswells. Oh me!oh my! What a drama and they were so nice about it all.

Trumans Restaurant serves beautiful meals 4 days a week but there is always food from the bar and room service. Breakfast is buffet or cooked option.

Just keep in mind what you miss out on when compared to more modern "faceless" hotels is made up in the joy of being in the wonderful surrounds. A "morning room"...just fancy sitting there sipping your morning tea and reading the paper.

Oh if you do not have a computer you will find one of the "euro gobbling" monsters waiting for you. Other hotels have the same ones so head for the internet cafe in Grafton Street. Free wifi is available now in most rooms (2011)

Unique Quality: Well our first room did not have a view but it is beautifully appointed and has a BATH...a must for me to soak in when travelling. On our return we had a smaller double with a view of the street.

The next time our first room had a safe as well and was quite large. I think all rooms are priced as standard but some are a bit small with only a shower. There is a brochure with "rack rates" but you can usually do better than that. There are some rooms for 3 apparently and a premium suite but I have not seen the latter.
    They will allocate the best they can especially if you are staying a while.

I really want a bath, wifi, and a safe but this does not always happen.

Sometimes it takes a while for the hot water to flow owing to the layout of the old hotel.

But what I loved the first time we arrived was the sight of guests sitting in the foyer and lounge areas sipping tea and eating scones. You could see in from outside just how nice it was to be in there by the warm fire.

Directions: Near Trinity College and the Passport Office. You can walk in to Grafton Street and shops no problem.
    It is close to the DART.. Dublin Pearse Station

• Relax in Style at The Buswells

This was a great hotel and I would stay here again without hesitation.

The room was clean and comfortable and there was a good choice on offer for breakfast.

The ambience was this hotels best feature. From the moment we walked in we just felt 'at home'.

The hotel bar was used by non residents which added to the atmosphere.

It is a stones throw away from Dawson Street which is well worth a visit for a few drinks. Dawson street has some very big and busy bars away from the Temple bar area.

It is also only a stroll away from Grafton street. So, ladies, do your best with the shopping and when you have too many bags to carry - take them back to the hotel and then set off again!

Directions: Get off the aircoach on Kildare Street and Buswells is literally opposite.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

A short walk from Grafton Street

This was a very charming hotel in a quiet Georgian area of Dublin. They say it's one of the oldest Dublin city centre hotels, comprises of five Georgian townhouses.

It's in the very convenient location close to Grafton Street, National Museum, National Gallery, St. Stephen's Green, etc.

Check the site for booking specials.

Unique Quality: The breakfast (came with a room booking) was a buffet style, but good. : )

More about Buswells Hotel

Walk around with a Friend.

by wise23girl

Well I had three walking adventures on my recent trip to Dublin. (Nov 2009)

The first was with a fellow VTer Irishfem and we went to Dublin Castle for lunch, coffee at the Central Hotel upstairs in a "library" coffee lounge and then to the smallest pub in Ireland "The Dawson Pub" for the traditional Guinness..

Another day friend Gene turned up to take David and me to lunch. We walked to Temple Bar, across the Liffey( no we did not walk on water...there was a bridge called the Ha'Penny linking Temple Bar to Liffey Street.), past The Church Restaurant, and on and on to a Chinese Place he knew. We ate a selection of Chinese food and then we walked back to Buswells Hotel for a coffee..

Next it was a shopping trip with friend Bridget21(Lyn) who was visiting Ireland at the same time. She came in by bus and then we spent a bit of time looking and buying in Grafton Street shops and then it was on to O'Connell Street . Just past the post office we turned left and here were more shops to see. Made a few more "girl" purchases and then it was bus home for Lyn and a walk back for me.

And that evening I was able to lead the way back over to The Church to meet Annemariebyrne for dinner.But we did splurge on a taxi home with a nice Irish driver.

Dublin Fair City

"Here in Dublin"

"Cead mile failte" (A hundred thousand Welcomes). This lovely welcome is found every where in Dublin and in all of Ireland for that matter.
I love to see and hear the Gaelic language being nurtured and not pushed aside for English even though the use of English world wide makes it easy for us.
As the hotel computer was a euro gobbler I spent a lot of time in Grafton St . Then it was coffee at Bewleys just down the road a little.

Of course for the odd sniffle I found a natural remedy place...to my delight.

Now I read this somewhere and think it is Dublin to a tee.

In the words of an old song:

Dublin can be heaven
With coffee at eleven
And a stroll in Stephen's Green

There's no need to hurry
There's no need to worry
You're a king and the lady's a queen

Grafton Street's a wonderland
There's magic in the air
There's diamonds in your lady's eyes
and gold dust in her hair

And if you don't believe me
Come and meet me there
In Dublin on a sunny summer's morning!

"Some Adventures in Dublin"

Well wisedancer and me and the VAs went out on the town. First it was Davy Byrnes but their food had finished so we ended up at The Last Stand Pub drinking Guinness (well me and the VAs) eating Irish stew, and watching France beat Ireland in the football(soccer).

Then my next adventure was with IrishFem After a few attempts to find a time to suit us both Louise met me in the lounge of Buswells Hotel. I am no stranger to walking around Dublin so off we went. Now Louise had a few things in mind and, with the VAs in tow, we first visited Dublin Castle for lunch. Do you know that in all my times in Dublin I had never been there.

Then it was to an upstairs"library" coffee lounge" in the Central Hotel. And "yes" there is more. We went to the smallest pub in Ireland, The Dawson Lounge, for a Guinness. How about that. Now she is one of my VT friends and I hope for another chance to see more of Dublin with her. She has just been to Australia worse luck.

I will put a photo of Louise in a Dublin tip.

"A VT Meet with BillNJ"

So we met in the Longstones Pub very aptly chosen by BillNJ who I might add had never been to Dublin ever before.
We were joined by Krumel(Birgit) and AnnemarieByrne with an apology from one other.
After the meal Birgit had an hour bus ride back to County Meath so Anne Marie led us to Mulligans in Poolbeg St and then Davy Byrnes in Duke St.

Well Mulligans is very old and famous but was full mainly of blokes and as there was no where to sit we did not stay. To be quite honest with all those men around I hesitated to let the lady VAs out to even look.

But luckily it was a quiet night and Davy Byrnes made very nice Irish coffee.

Now we have another get together Monday and AnneMarie has suggested The Church as a good place to soak up that special Dublin feeling.

Good place to stay in Dublin March 2009

by chrissie611

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay for me and my son (he is 22) in Dublin for March 14 through 18, 2009? We want to be somewhere not too "Holiday-Inn-ish", close enough to walk to sites, etc. Any suggestions appreciated!

by wise23girl

We stayed at Buswells for a week 18 months ago and will stay again later this year(Nov). It is close to Trinity College and you can walk to the city.

There are some real Irish staff(not all of course) but I love to meet the Irish
Some of the business people call in for a drink in the afternoon too. So not all tourist.

The hotel is not modern and cold but rather has a great atmosphere which you can "feel" even from the website.

You can sit in the lounge look out to the street and enjoy your cup of tea.

Dublin
Buswells +3531 6146500 (switch) +35316146546 (direct Marie)
Buswells-reservations@quinnhotels.com
www.quinnhotels.com/buswells

I did love Jurys Ballbridge but you are out a bit...it is on the Dart Train Line...there is/was a "tea dance "too...if they haven't knocked it down to make way for development! Jurys at Croke Park is mod... out a bit. There are many others in town but I have not stayed and some of course very pricey...Enjoy Dublin and Temple Bar
Marg

Oh book early if it is a "football" weekend. Temple Bar is packed to rafters

by Mikebb

In August 2008 we stayed 2 nights at the Best Western Academy Hotel, 4 star and one of the upmarket best western hotels, 50 metres off O'Connell Street and we walked to most attractions, 10 minutes walk to Liffy River.We got a good rate 130 Euro per night with buffet breakfast, very nice room, especially the bathroom, large flat screen TV etc etc and free internet in the foyer. Check out a variety of internet hotel providers , we jagged a great rate.

Good Luck,
Mike

by WhispersWest

I would suggest Abberley House, http://www.abberleyhouse.ie/, as it is in a quiet suburb type area. It is also close to the Temple Bar area for pubbing and to the National Botanical Gardens. You could also try Ripley Court, http://www.ripleycourt.com/, which is a great bargain in the heart of Dublin.

I would suggest that you book your lodging post haste, since that is a difficult time for finding lodging in Dublin. Dublin usually books fairly quickly for St Patrick's day.

Slan Beo,