Butler's Town House Dublin

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data
  • RufusFrog's Profile Photo

Butlers Townhouse

190EUR on their website - you may find cheaper if you check out the agencies.

Unique Quality: This hotel allegedly does the best breakfast in Dublin - & I can believe it! The rooms were very sumptuously decorated too.

Directions: 44, Lansdowne Road, Ballsbridge,
    Dublin 4
    It is south of the centre in the very leafy Ballsbridge suburb, but close to a DART station for a quick ride into town.

More about Butler's Town House Dublin

the smell of stale cigarrette smoke was overwhelming

by TripAdvisor Member celtickitten

Stayed in Butlers townhouse and was very disappointed with the overall state of the place It has detiorated and dining area is very shabby as well as food is now mediocre but th eworst was the smell of stale cigarette smoke in bedroom I could not sleep with the smell and both my Husband and I felt quite ill th eday after from sleeping in these conditions

Where did the great revues come from?

by TripAdvisor Member Flyer1234

We spent 4 nights at the Butler Townhouse and we found it adequate but no-where near the standard of the great reveiws we were reading when we booked. The room was small and lacked proper heating, the decor was ok but a bit shabby and dull.
It is a pity there were no tea making facilities in the room and also isn't it time for hygene reasons for all hotels used duvets rather than rather poor slept in old blankets.
On the plus side, the breakfast was great and the location good. The staff were very pleasant and did there very best to help, but as they were from overseas their local knowledge was limited.
We had a great time in Dublin but as for the hotel, we felt a bit disillusioned with what we were hoping to be a very special place.

Large Room, Great Breakfast, Small Bathroom

by TripAdvisor Member The_Best_Cooks

A unique boutique hotel in Dublin (region 4). Away from the busyness of downtowbn Dublin, this hotel had a 'run by a family' feel.

The breakfasts were tremendous (and flexible!). The sleeping room we had faced the back (quiet) was large (for Europe). Bathroom was small (no counterspace). Shower pressure was strong (for a change).

Staff very helpful with recommendations. Easy walk to trains and transit (a manned station).

Beautiful rooms, great breakfast in Dublin

by TripAdvisor Member kcinders

We stayed at Butler's in July 06. We had a big room with a 4-poster bed, huge bathtub, and large windows overlooking the quiet backyard(our friend had a room on the bottom floor and it was not nearly as nice or big so check on this when booking). The breakfast was delicious with a small buffet and you could also order items from the menu at no extra cost. The rooms are in a large house with a beautiful sitting room stocked with an honor system bar. The hotel offers 24 hour room service too. It is located in a residential neighborhood outside of the center of town. It was a 20 minute walk to Trinity College. We paid 120Euros for a double. We would definately go back there!!

excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member NURSE9

we stayed at the butlers town house from friday 6/10/06 to mon 9/10/06 where we had a very comfortable stay. All the rooms are individually decorated to a tasteful design in keeping with the house's era. The full irish breakfast was served hot and fresh and the choice was excellent. The hotel is in a residential part of dublin on landsdown road which was very quiet away from the hustle and buslte of the city. There was a train service 2 minutes walk away which departed every 20 minutes into the city which we found excellent . I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a city break with perfect surroundings.

Hotel service gives them an edge

by TripAdvisor Member mjmorin

Recently spent three nights at Butler's Town House and overall had a lovely time. This establishment is run as a bed/breakfast. The rooms are nice, a bit quirky and quite adequate, but not luxurious. However, the thing that sets them apart from many expensive, more luxurious hotels is the level of personal attention and service. The hotel personnel bend over backwards to help. They allow early check in which is something most high-end hotels do not offer and is certainly a luxury for those of us travelling from the U.S. They served me a lovely breakfast of bacon, brown bread and good coffee while they got my room in order.

I think expectations need to be appropriate - they do not claim to be the Four Seasons; however, I will take a friendly face with an umbrella, making restaurant reservations and car arrangements for me any day. They are a 10 min walk from Kings College. With the rehab of the Soccer Stadium, things should only improve in the immediate hotel vicinity. My only complaint, which is quite subjective, is that the pillows are very hard.

Worst B&B ever

by TripAdvisor Member footlady

I'm sorry to say that I have not one good word to say about this hotel. I stayed here to celebrate my 30th birthday and have never been so disappointed in my life. The room (a four poster) had very little heating and smelt damp. It was so cold that I could not sleep properly. The bathroom was a joke, peeling paint, mould round the bath a mirror nearly falling off the wall and cracked tiles. Lovely (not). The breakfast was limited to say the least and the dinning room was dirty, marks on the tablecloth etc. The manager did her best to help but after a tour of the other rooms (they were all the same standard) we decided to check out. I wrote to both Butlers and the Manor hotel group who own the hotel) but Butlers just sent me a very luke warm apology and the Manor group never wrote back at all. So sorry but I would AVOID this place if you want to enjoy your stay in Dublin.

Home from home at the townhouse

by TripAdvisor Member NewYorkMinute

Quite frankly, reading some of the misleading reviews posted previously, one would think that Butlers was some sort of Blackpool b&b or off-Times Square flophouse! Definitely not.

It's an old townhouse, therefore it is not going to have cookie cutter rooms and lifts BUT what it does have is character and lovely, helpful staff who really do go that extra mile. That is why I prefer to stay here when in Dublin than any of the generic hotels with impersonal service.

The different rooms I have stayed in are Laura Ashley/chintzy decor variety, bathrooms are always immaculate; fabulous breakfast in the conservatory - would recommend the French toast with bacon & maple syrup .. yummy!; relaxing drawing room with an honesty tab.. Butlers feels more like staying in a friends elegant home than a typical hotel stay and it is the little extras that make it stand out from the other corporate/coach tour hotels I've stayed in around the D4 area.

I'm at a loss as to how to match this guesthouse to the dismal reviews painted and also at understanding the overall TA ratings for Irish hotels because the top 10 in the major cities are at odds with the savvy traveller's feedback/experience :-)

Butlers is a gem and definitely my first port of call in Dublin to get away from the madding Temple Bar crowds.

What a great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member wct44

This really is a great place to stay, the staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are not huge, but are comfortable and very clean. The breakfasts are very good and can keep you going all day, we never ate lunch once. It is a 20 minute walk into Dublin, so if you don't like walking you can take the bus in, its a short hop. We would definately stay here again and would have no problems recommending Bulter's to our friends and family.

Comments