Carlton Dublin Airport Hotel

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel with Complimentary Airport Shuttle

On the last night of my trip, I stayed at the Carlton Dublin Airport Hotel. I booked and paid in advance with 1 800 HOTELS -- and everything went very smoothly. The main reason that I booked this hotel was its proximity to the airport -- and complimentary airport shuttle.

This hotel exceeded my expectations. My room was spacious and nicely furnished. It also included a nice view of a landing strip at the airport. Furthermore, the hotel has a fabulous restaurant and bar on the first floor. At night, I enjoyed an appetizer, drinks, and a dessert there while watching the beginning of the Irish/France football game. It was the first of a two-game playoff (the first in Dublin, the second in Paris) -- with the winner qualifying for the 2010 World Cup. Unfortunately (for Irish fans), France beat Ireland in this first game by a score of 1-0 -- and the second game ended in a 1-1 tie. Under FIFA rules, France moved on to the World Cup on the basis of the aggregate score of 2-1. While I'm not a big fan of European football, it was an exciting game to watch because the stakes were very high.

Breakfast was not included in my rate, and I waited until after check-in at the airport to have breakfast. As such, I cannot comment on the hotel's breakfast.

Another great feature of this hotel is that it is within walking distance of a bus stop into the city center. On the first day of my trip, I purchased a Rambler bus pass at the Dublin Tourist Information Office which I did not activate and use until the last day of my trip. With the pass, I took the bus into Dublin City and back -- and, on the way, I was able to see some residential areas of Dublin that are off-the-beaten path of most tourists.

In the morning, I took the hotel's complimentary airport shuttle -- and, on the way, enjoyed a very pleasant conversation with the driver.

In a nutshell, the Carlton is a great hotel if you want to stay near Dublin Airport for an early morning flight. I would not hesitate to stay here again for that purpose.

Unique Quality: Great in-room view of a landing strip at the airport.

In-room safe -- I think such safes are a major convenience over front-desk safety deposit boxes, so this is an amenity worth noting.

Very large bathroom sink counter top, modern bathroom fixtures, and a great shower.

Great hotel restaurant and bar.

Within short walking distance of a stop for a public bus into the Dublin city center.

Complimentary airport shuttle.

Directions: Old Airport Road

• 726jenni's Profile Photo

dublin airport hotel

This is a great hotel. We had two large interconnecting rooms with luxurious beds and linen. Air traffic noise wasn't a problem but we were exhausted after 48hrs travel so perhaps we just slept through it. Courtesy bus from airport takes about 5 mins to hotel. Restaurent is fair. Nothing brilliant but reasonably cheap and clean and efficient. They provided a very good breakfast.
    We used the courtesy bus the next day to go back to the airport to pick up the hire car. Saved us 1 day car hire .Will stay here again next visit.

Unique Quality: Beds are large and great martresses. Luxurious linen. Large bathroom with bath.

Directions: Dublin Airport

More about Carlton Dublin Airport Hotel

Iarnród Éireann (Irish Rail) and Heuston Station

by BillNJ

From Galway, I took Iarnród Éireann (Irish Rail) to Dublin's Heuston Station. The train itself was quite comfortable -- with plenty of storage space for luggage. At Heuston Station, there are a lot of public transportation options -- including a LUAS (light rail) line that has a stop right outside the station.

On this occasion, I took a taxi from Heuston Station to the Carlton Dublin Airport Hotel. The cost for the ride was 20 Euros -- and I gave the driver a 2 Euro tip. While expensive, this cab ride (like all of my others in Ireland) was entertaining and informative because of the friendly driver.

Convenient and modern

by TripAdvisor Member quoadhoc

This is a really nice airport hotel. My two friends and I booked the hotel for our last night in Dublin, so we wouldn't feel rushed to make our flight in the morning.

The hotel is nicely decorated with an early aviation theme. I found it amusing that one of the photos in the hallway had a picture of a small plane that had crashed into a tree.

Anyway, our room was incredibly comfortable. The bathroom was exceptionally clean and well appointed.

This hotel was also one of the cheapest Dublin airport hotels. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to be close to the airport.

An experience I will never forget

by TripAdvisor Member Noelvegas

Ok first up the hotel itself is really nice. It is located less than a mile from dublin airport and the free shuttle bus is every half hour in the morning.

The room we booked cost only €88 through ebookers.ie and included a free breakfast which was served to the room (you must tick off items you want and then hang sheet on door)

The rooms themselves are well appointed and the bathroom was very nice and included the use of a bathrobe. The restaurant looked very nice but we didn't have time to use it.

If everything during the night had passed by peacefully then I would not hesitate to give this hotel four stars; however that did not happen. At approx 6am a young drunk man entered our room shouting at the top of his voice. He managed to enter out room by using different keycard to ours which somehow opened our "locked door". He then proceeded to jump on my bed until my brother told him to leave (in a nice way, lol). We then rang the front desk and security later picked him up wandering the halls, claiming our room was actually his (despite the fact that the room was empty when we entered at about 4pm).

Amazingly at 9.30pm the next morning the young man (together with bottle of wine) was still walking around the hotel with no sign of security removing him from the premises. The Front desk didn't seem to care about our predicament but we later got a chance to talk to the manager and he offered a shallow apology.

Security is one of the most important factors I look for in a hotel or any type of accommodation (i have stayed in budget hostels all over Europe and America in the past and have never encountered anything like this before anywhere). The hotel receives zero stars for security and that is why I give it such a low rating overall; things in reality could have turned out a lot worse than they did. You don't expect something like this when you book a top class hotel anywhere and I would advise against booking the Carlton Dublin Airport despite the price and quality of accommodation, unless they do something to change the security codes on their doors!!!!

4 star quality at 3 star prices

by TripAdvisor Member gohop10

This is my second time to stay here and highly recommend it. You can leave car parked up for the weekend and use bus across the road. 15 minutes into city centre. spotless bedrooms. big bed. fab bathroom. Staff very pleasant. A luxury to stay in. I will definitely stay again. Breakfast very pricy at 13 euro a head but there is everything you can eat and is so well presented.

Having to fight for breakfast.

by TripAdvisor Member hotdrop

Stayed at Carlton for one night as I had an early flight to catch. Hotel had all the amenities one expects from 4 star hotel. Went down for breakfast (advertised as served from 6.30) at 6.35. Restaurant supervisor informs me they are not open, even though food is displayed in front of me. An argument ensues and eventually she serves me some scrambled egg and two sausages. Gives me the impression that it is I who am in the wrong. Memo to Carlton: If your restaurant is not open until 6.45 or 7.00 please just say that and don't waste precious time.

this is not a 4 star

by TripAdvisor Member drmaniac

For my last night at Dublin I decided to stay near the airport because I had an early flight in the morning. Obvuiously on the net I was attracted by the 4 Star and the price. When I reached the hotel, no one was very excited to help me to take my luggage in my room. And at the front desk 2 young Trainees probably were working, so I did not get a very good information.
The second part of the show was when I reached my room, I was at first very much surprised by the quality, but slowly I noticed litlle irritating things : Noisy room, runway just in front, you could hear very slowly the take of and landing and when you open the bathroom on light is not working. But ok, I know I'm not sleeping in the bathroom but still you expect not to see this kind of things. There is no mini-bar in the room, if you have kids and if you need to keep milk at a cool place you have nothing. So I asked for ice to the room service, it was very quick! About the telivision, a few intl channels were not working.
The 3rd funny place was the restaurant, the quality was a litlle bit poor. My hamburger was really not the quality I was expecting from a hotel like a 4star. You ask to the waiter " Is it pure beef " they say " Yes" and when it is served you get a bacon on top!
Anyway next time I will think twice before going there. The only plus point is the shuttle service to the airport. don't forget to book it, otherwhise it will be the first served system at the morning of your departure...

Sleepless in Dublin...

by TripAdvisor Member KrisTurku

We just loved our room. The restaurant 'Clouds' has a very high standard. The staff is friendly and helpful. The stay would have been perfect. but....

There was a wedding party somewhere above us in the 3rd floor. The band was playing music SO laud, and kept us awake until 01.30 a.m. When you have to be up before 5 a.m. for your flight the stay will not be a pleasant one...

As it is an AIRPORT hotel, shouldn't they firstly think about the weary passengers, and not to make weddings their first business? Weddings should be arranged somewhere where the other guests aren't unfairly disturbed!

Kris

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member IrelandCatherine

Stayed for five nights in Feb/07 and was very impressed. Although the
lobby looks a little cheap-modern the rooms really make up for it. Very quiet and beautifully appointed. Clouds restaurant is excellent if a bit pricey. Check out the original house (attached to the main hotel) The stunning restored interiors are remarkable. The grounds are extensive and make for great walks/runs. Service can be a bit hit and miss sometimes but judging by previous reviews things are getting better. Lovely hotel, will be back.

Comments