Carton House

Costs 54% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Carton House

Beautiful Hotel, Friendly Staff, Relaxing stay

by TripAdvisor Member APUK

I booked The Carton House for 1 night at the end of July and ended up staying for 3! From the minute that I drove into the grounds I loved the place. The receptionist, Stefanie, couldn't do enough to ensure that I had a pleasant stay. I stayed in a standard room that was beautiful. The decor is extremely tasteful, wonderful bedlnen and soft down duvet & pillows and there's a large widescreen plasma/lcd TV - dvd & cd player. The bathroom was also wonderful with a deep bath, seperate shower & designer toiletries. I had a DB&B rate and ate at The Linden Tree restaurant each evening, the standard of the menu was very good. There is a lovely spa area with a pool, jacuzzi, steam room & sauna. This hotel is wonderful for a relaxing break, you don't need to leave the grounds. I will definately return. I stayed at the nearby Dunboyne Castle last year which cannot compare to The Carton House.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jhk253

During our first trip to Europe, my wife and I began our trip with 3 nights at the Carton House. I only wish we could have stayed there longer. The estate is beautiful, employees courteous, food was perfect. The golf course was great, only complaint was the lack of organization around the pro shop. Hard to figure out when to start and where to go.
Overall, great experience and would absolutely go back.
Jeff- Baltimore, MD

Extremely impressed

by TripAdvisor Member AoifeMN

I visited the Carton House last week for a day in the spa. There was 10 girls and it was a corporate outing. Overall we were all very impressed. The Spa is top of the range and the staff are so lovely. The hotel setting is breathtaking and the decor and overall experience is amazing. It has not been open that long and I had not heard about it but I would highly recommend this hotel .I think it would be ideal for a romantic weekened away. If you live in Dublin even it is perfect as it is about a 45 minute drive yet you really feel like you are away.

good hotel...bad hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rlr555

This is probably too long, but the Carton House is a hotel of extremes…

- Very pretty grounds, peaceful, green, a gorgeous stream, a wonderful golf course (I don’t play, but it was fun to walk around it); a pretty cool old castle “lookout” on high ground in the middle of the course; a “green waste area” in the middle of some trees by the lookout where, if you stand still for a bit, you can see lots of birds flitting through the trees, and little bunny rabbits hopping around (the trees/bushes make great hiding places for them). However, if you’re not into golf or nature walks, there’s not much to do. If you have a car, you can drive a bit into the town of Leixlip, which has some fun places to explore.

- The building had lovely architecture, very old on the outside, mostly very modern on the inside (although if you explore some of the rooms between reception and the golf club, you can find some very old drawing and other rooms that are exquisitely fun to view with paintings, columns, old furniture, etc.). I thought the juxtaposition of “too modern” with “ancient” was a bit overdone, but it was still very nice.

- Most of the staff tried hard to be very pleasant and helpful, but made so many mistakes it was almost comical (but I’d also be unlikely to return because of it). Our reservation and check-in was fine. The walk to the room was long (but we like walking…so no big). The TV in our first room wouldn’t turn on, so they moved us to a second room. There, the TV turned on, but wouldn’t show anything, so they moved us to a third room. Finally, a working TV, but no “movie channels” – took them an hour to get that working (and our room was now quite a bit further away). A guy named Darren was very help with this.

- We went to the restaurant to see if we wanted to eat there…seemed nice, but talking to the maitre d’ changed our minds…he was telling us about some of the dishes, but then spent quite some effort trying to convince us that “we weren’t really there for the food, but to be in his presence” (I’m hoping he was just flirting with my wife, but it caught us off guard, so we drove into Leixlip and got Chinese “take-away” at Wong’s).

- When we got back, we asked for ice to chill some champagne (can’t get your own ice - they bring it). We waited 10 mins…called again…waited another 10 mins…called again…finally I walked down to get my own…they sent me to the restaurant, where someone from the kitchen staff finally filled a silver bucket with ice for me. I asked about getting some dessert “take out” or “room service”, but they couldn’t “access” the room service menu from the restaurant, so I had to return to the room to order room service. (and guess what – someone had brought ice in the meantime, so we had 2 buckets).

- Next I called room service to order dessert (something chocolate, of which there were 2 choices). They recommended the brownie a la mode, we said fine….a half hour later, a nice Eastern European girl brought us some kind of “purple and white foam stuff”. We told her it was the “wrong thing”, but she insisted that her “ticket” was right. We asked what it was, suggesting it might be some kind of “whipped cream” or something, but she said “no cream” and didn’t really know what it was, and didn’t speak English well enough for us to tell what she was saying. We finally convinced her of what we wanted by pointing to the room service menu, and she brought back the brownie & ice cream (which was OK, but not worth the cost). In addition, I felt bad for her trouble, and gave her a 2-euro tip, and only when I checked out did I find out that they had also charged me an automatic 5-euro “tray charge” (wasn’t too happy about that).

Bottom line – the Carton House has huge potential, but in my opinion, they’re not living up to it consistently yet, so “use at your own risk”!

Beautiful grounds

by TripAdvisor Member Taisteal

We stayed here the last weekend of the Easter holidays and the hotel was busy with both guests and day visitors. Our room was in the old house, which is absolutely stunning. The room was spacious and comfortable with lots of nice touches, such as good toiletries, deep bath and great CD system. There was a BBQ buffet dinner in Gold Saloon that night and the food was fine.....but didn't do justice to the beautiful room with the amazing plasterwork. I had a lovely walk around the grounds accompanied by lots of twittering birds. It was so nice to ramble around, a real walk in the country feel. The spa treatments were very relaxing and the pool area a good size. Service generally was fine, if a bit hit and miss at times. Breakfast was very busy, probably could have done with more food on t he buffet counters.

Such a lovely setting, such poor service

by TripAdvisor Member Hati1

Went here for a girls w/e in April.
The hotel itself was beautiful, the decor was very impressive, the room was one of the nicest hotel rooms I have stayed in.
The food was lovely in both the Linden tree and the bar. Possibly the nicest duck I have ever had!
But the dinner menu was very limited especially because we ate there two nights in a row.
The breakfast buffet was a disaster. By the time we got there at about 10.15 a lot of the food had run out eg pastries and yogurt, which was limiting if you weren’t going for the Irish Breakfast option. There were no plates or serving utensils at the buffet. We were ages waiting for tea/coffee to be served which arrived without milk.
The service in the bar was awful, very complicated to get a cocktail on the Friday night. Out of a list of about 15 cocktails we were limited to a choice of 3, due to a shortage of ingredients.
We arrived on the Friday afternoon and I was an hour waiting to order bar food and drinks, I went to the bar to order and was told that someone would come to our table to take an order, after a halfhour wait I went back to the bar and was told to sit down again. An hour later the food was ordered. Very tasty but very delayed.
I loved the newspaper hanging outside the door each morning. I hated the lighting in the bathroom, too dim, a catastrophe for ladies getting made-up in the morning!
It is a pity the staff were so disorganised because I would definitely go back for the glorious surrounds and the food, but not before the service issues are dealt with and the food/drink orders are sorted out.
We would have consumed a lot more if we could only have gotten served.

A fantastic weekend away

by TripAdvisor Member Ljanie

I took my boyfriend here as a surprise weekend away from Dublin. We don't play golf and had recently been to a spa, so we didn't bother with either here. We simply wanted to relax and that we did. It was the small touches in the room that impressed us -a DVD player, a real hair dryer, sound system, a minibar that was very reasonably priced, molton brown bath products, a drawer above the mini bar which held various types of glasses, bathrobes that didn't feel as if they've been washed 100 times. B/F loved the flast screen tv. The bed linens were fantastic. Felt like we were sleeping amongst a huge fluffy cloud. The bathtub was fantastic and used many times during our short visit. We were in a room with a balcony. The balcony was nice, but nothing great. It was refreshing to keep the balcony door open and feel the cool breeze throughout the room.

We used room service multiple times and never had a problem - prompt service with the correct orders each time. He loved the sandwiches - especially the homemade mayo and salad dressing. The hotel itself was very quiet and relaxing. Never seemed to be a large crowd in the Kitchen Bar. Many little alcoves off the "Kitchen Bar" to hang out and enjoy a few drinks. The hotel grounds were maintained well and as to be expected from a hotel that's only been open for a little over a year, everything was new and to date.

All in all I think this was a fantastic hotel, very reasonably priced, and a gorgeous place to spend a weekend away from Dublin

Still my 'WOW' Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Rusty73

Just had my second stay at this hotel and it is still my Wow hotel.
You will get a feel for the surroundings from previous reviews and I agree that you wouldn't go stay here for the nightlife and proximity to shops etc.
If you do your research, you will realise that it is a 'gettting away from it all' sort of place. You drive in, park up and don't get in your car again until it's time to go home.
Then while you are there, just kick back and relax in this beautifully decorated hotel which mixes old and new perfectly. Grab a round of golf or a spa treatment, or just go for a walk in the grounds or in the old part of the house. It's just a seriously chilled-out place.
The staff are so friendly and helpful and the rooms are blissful, particularly the lovely bath, the massive beds and the french doors and balconies overlooking the grounds.
Both times I stayed, I was so disappointed to be leaving and will be visiting again.
Food, drink, service and conference facilities are all excellent. Visit this place before it surpasses the K-club in popularity and becomes too expensive.

Overall , just an ok hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BUD123

Just back from a one night stay (Saturday night) and overall it was an ok stay. I booked a night away for my wife and I to recharge the batteries and relax. I usually book the Heritage in Killenard for nights away, but they were booked out so I decided to give Carton a try after reading the positive reviews.
I booked a junior suite in the new part of the hotel and when I arrived we got upgraded to the 'house junior suite' which is in the original building.
Room was lovely, a little smaller than some suites I've stayed in before, but the decor was fantastic. We went back down to 'The Kitchen Bar' for lunch which is just off the lobby, but were left standing for nearly 10 minutes before a member of staff would ackowledge us which I found quite disappointing. So we decided to go to the clubhouse bar next door instead where both the service and food was excellent.
I also went to reception to ask why our movie channels were not working and was told that the system does not work in the old rooms. I said ok and asked for their DVD list (as there is a DVD player in the room) and were told that they do not have any DVD library. I know this might sound picky but I felt let down by the hotel as I specifically picked this hotel so that I could relax in my room and enjoy a movie and a good nights sleep. I then asked would they move us to the junior suite which I originally booked (and had the facilites which they advertise) and was told that all the rooms were full. The lady at reception offered to look for some DVDs for us and said she would call us at the room, but did not.
Another thing to be careful of: if you do get a room in the old building, be prepared for the noise which comes from the corrider during the night. If someone walks by your door, it sounds as if they are in your room! The sound proofing is non-existent, and I cannot understand why they would not put rubber seals around the doors at least to reduce the noise.
Carton is a very beautiful hotel, but it is letting itself down with some small issues as described above, and I will not be going back because of them (I'll be going back to The Heritage in Killenard where the service truly is 5 star).

I was warned about the service, they were right

by TripAdvisor Member holeinthehead

I heard the Carton was a lovely hotel but the service at times can be slow, it had to be seen to be believed. I wanted one drink at the bar, I waited 15 minutes while the server 2 feet infront of me ignored me.

The room was very nice, although there is a long walk to the rooms, however there was a smell of sewage coming from the shower drain when, I assume, someone in a different room flushed their loo.

The food in the restaurant was excellent and the service wasnt too bad here, still it took over 2 hours for us to get our 3 course meal.
Breakfast too was very good and the newspaper on the door handle was a nice touch

I would go back, if i could be assured the service improved but otherwise i would avoid it, ireland has plenty of other nice hotels

Comments