Central Hotel Dublin

Satisfaction Average

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Central Hotel

I got a real good deal on the internet for the hotel not knowing where it really was. A lovely grand old lady that they are busy revamping and that is in need of some electrical re-wiring. Very centrally situated, yet I found the hotel very quiet. Maybe it was due to the location of our rooms.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location

• Central Hotel

Stunning location, near most attractions and two of the hop on bus route pick up points. Grocery store just opposite the hotel, should you need something and they are open from 8h00 to 22h00

Unique Quality: Location and book via the internet, you get great discounts if you book in advance!

• Do not waste your money

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Unacceptable bass noise levels from the club downstairs continue untill 3.30am most nights. This is NOT the street noise they mention but something far more intrusive and annoying. Over a period of three nights I managed to sleep for approximately 4hrs. The Hotel management should make this information available online when they advertise the hotel.
    This would allow normal people who require sleep and are paying for that facility to make an informed decision.
    The reservations manageress Isobel Boyle also refuses to refund my money. I have been ripped off. Do not stay here if you require any sleep.

• bcorbitt's Profile Photo

Soon to become more expensive

The shabby interior is getting a makeover. The rooms have a new more modern look with a platfiorm bed with white duvet cover replacing the floral covered quilts mentioned in the Time Out Dublin Guide. The Library Bar in the hotel itself and the Exchequer run separately are both excellent. Do not expect to find a 35 inch flat screen though you did not come to Dublin to watch TV. The rooms are small though comfortable. There was not a real closet in the room but an Ikea like closet and dresser was built into the room which easily storesd all my stuff. The bathroom was modern with a huge shower(so if you have a kid you need to bath this might not be hotel for you). Do not expect to find some high lend ittle bottles of toiletry though they do have large dispenser for both shampoo in shower and soap next to sink. Hotel can be a bit loud at night as the cheap rate(my room rate varied between 41 to 45 euros per night) and nearness to Temple bar does attract that type of clientele. They have superior rooms for money though not sure how much more superior. Free Wifi is provided though hard to get in room as either had to open up door or sit in chairs next to stairwell. Do be careful with stuff as left my iphone on those of chairs and someone took it. They did return it after realizing was American phone sans the protective case. Hotel did not have adaptor plugs as claimed that people took them and never returned. I was nice enough to give them one that someone else gave me. The hotel staff was nice as a person let me plug my iPhone into the USB port of the desk's computer to recharge it for me. If looking for centrally located hotel with not expensive rates and do not care that the lobby looks like from 1920 this is a great choice. I overheard them talking about some renovations to the lobby and hallways which if done will likely result in higher prices and less people staying there to party all night in room.

Unique Quality: Located just South of Temple Bar. The Library bar in the early evenings feels like a library with the couches filled with people on laptops though a library where people are drinking alcohol. The Exchequer Bar on the ground floor corner was voted one of the best gastropubs in the country and I agree(see separate review). Free though week Wifi.

Directions: South of Temple Bar.

• Svartkledd's Profile Photo

Central, north of Liffey

Nice place in a "little Italy" district. Lots of Italian restaurants around.

Apartments in three different buildings, with everything you need. (Bring your own hair dryer)

Payment per apartment, not per person.

Unique Quality: View over a nice plaza with Spar, pharmacy, restaurants and an antiques store around.

Directions: Near Jervis St. Shopping centre, and

• ChgoKid's Profile Photo

Excellent location

Spent 5 nights at the Central and would recommend it as an excellent location for touring Dublin. The rooms were clean, the staff was very helpful and accomodating and the food was good. There was some noise at night from the surrounding nightlife and some construction noise in the morning due to ongoing remodeling efforts but the overall experience was enjoyable and Dublin was wonderful.

Unique Quality: the staff was very helpful and accomodating and the full english breakfast was good. The Library Bar was quite comfortable and a good place to end an evening on the town.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

The Central

Somehow, I managed to negotiate a client to pay for me to stay in a hotel in the city centre for two nights, even though I only lived 10 miles away from where I was supposed to work one weekend ;-)
    Nice if you can get it, eh? ;-D

The Central Hotel's location is brilliant - perfect for nightlife and shopping and if you're on the side, you don't hear as much noise as you might if you are closer to ground level.

The room I got was a double ensuite with kettle, hairdryer, place for my laptop, TV.

Unique Quality: The library bar and the downstairs bar are great. Library bar is very homey and I would go to the downstairs bar anyway, as it is open to the public

Also, the fact that it is within easy distance from Temple Bar, Grafton St and the clubs up Camden & Wexford sts are a winner.

Directions: On the street linking Grafton and George's Sts.

More about Central Hotel Dublin

Dublin - Central Hotel

by ChristaV about Dublin - Central Hotel

The Central Hotel Dublin is one of oldest Dublin Hotels and dates back to 1887. The hotel is located within a few minutes walk of Dublins popular tourist attractions such Temple Bar, Grafton Street, Trinity College, Guinness Storehouse, Stephens Green and Christchurch Cathedral.

Never again

by TripAdvisor Member cypriot_9

We booked this hotel for its location and I must admit that it was good. But apart from that, it had nothing to offer. the heaters weren't working properly (we went in January!) and the staff was unhelpful. The majority of the staff seems to be foreign so they could not give us any helpful information about Dublin.

The worst part was the noise from the night club. We asked AT LEAST TWO receptionists to make sure our room was far away from the club (I read about the club problem before getting to the hotel) and even though both of them reassured us that our room was far away, it turned out to be right above it. I couldn't sleep the first night and luckily, the second night was a Sunday so the club was closed.

I wouldn't stay there again. The only reason why I checked the "Okay, but some problems" option was the location. It was good.

This hotel was great!

by TripAdvisor Member KelG

We were a little timid when we read the reviews of this hotel but we got a great deal and couldn't pass it up. Thank goodness we didn't!! The location is fabulous. It is 2 blocks from the Tourist Station in Dublin. They had an assortment of brochures on what to do in Ireland and we took advantage of them booking everything for us!
It is also 3 blocks from the Temple Bar are. If frequenting that area I have a few recommendations. Have a pint at The Quay Bar. They have live music from 5-7 each night and it was very entertaining. Here is the best tip for you though. You must have dinner at Gallagher's Boxty House!! Order the Murphy's stew, it is the best stew we have ever had in our lives!! You will not be disappointed!!
In the hotel we had room 216 which was excellent. It was in the front of the hotel and we never heard any noise from the nightclub. We slept very well the whole time we were there. The bed wasn't the most comfortable I have ever slept on but after all of our sightseeing, we were so tired it didn't matter!! The breakfast was excellent, we really enjoyed it. When going back to Dublin I would definitely stay here again!

Bus to the Central Hotel

by ChgoKid

Some friends and I will be visiting Dublin in December. I've checked www.dublinbus but can't figure out what would be the quickest/closest route to the Central Hotel. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

by ChgoKid

Sorry, forgot to mention that I was talking about getting from the airport to the Central Hotel.

by JohnMcCabe

I don't know how to get to the Central Hotel but judging from the reviews I have just read about it on tripadvisor if I was you I would cancel your booking and look for a different hotel!

by terversa1

You would be quicker to get a taxi..€15 to the hotel.

by ChgoKid

thanks to you both, little late to change hotels though I agree we could be in for a rough stay. We're really more interested in the city and it's pubs than the accomodations but thanks for the advice.
Taxi it'll be.