Charles Stewart

Budget Travel Family Travel Disabilities
monicarc's Profile Photo

Good Location and Price

by written on July 9, 2009

Good location hotel--huge room with bathrooms en suite. Hearty breakfast is included--which is a good way to save money, the meals are very expensive in Dublin. The staff was very friendly. Walls were a bit thin and there was no a/c (it didn't matter, it was chilly outside), but I think the location and CHEAP ON LINE price was worth it.

TravellingFrances's Profile Photo

Great value for money!

by written on June 3, 2009

We have just had a weeks stay at the Charles Stewart, Dublin and were very happy. We asked for a room on the ground floor, because no lift and my mother has walking problems, so no great view but that was our choice. The room was fine, everything we wanted. Tea/coffee facilities, TV, very comfortable, clean, beds and regular change of bed linen and clean towles every day. Whilst the bathroom was a little small (well for big people), it was very clean and plenty of hot water.
The breakfast was wonderful. Full Irish plus cereal and fresh fruit. The staff were very helpful, especially Andy (Hi Andy hope you read this!)
The location is very convenient, almost on O'Connell Street and a bus-stop right outside to take you to the heart of the city. A big plus for us was the Gate Theatre almost opposite so a good night out and only 2/3 minutes to get back.
We will certainly stay again and would recommend to anybody. Great value for money.

Unique Quality: The Georgian property is an historic listed building and the Irish poet/statesman/sportsman, Oliver St John Gogarty, was born there.

Directions: Just a few minutes walk from the Gresham Hotel, where the air-coach stops, in Upper O'Connell Street.

chinotraveller's Profile Photo

good budget hotel

by written on February 21, 2007

This bed and breakfast is central. Friendly staff, rooms were clean. Rooms had tv and tea and coffee faciilities. Safety deposit boxes at reception. Full Irish Breakfast included in the price. I would recommened this hotel. This hotel would not be suitable for disabled people who use a wheelchair as no lifts although some rooms are on ground level however dining room is down in the basement area.

Unique Quality: Good all round place to stay. Very central.

hevbell's Profile Photo

Charles Stuart Guesthouse

by written on November 4, 2006

On my recent trip to Dublin my friend and I decided that we were over staying in hostels and wanted a room to ourselves but still on a budget. After a search on the net we found ourselves here for around £70 for three nights with breakfast included. Can't complain at that!

I have to say I wasn't sure what to expect and was worried it would be a dump but that couldn't have been further from the truth.

We had a twin room with ensuite showerroom. Neither were very big but that wasn't an issue for us anyway. We had a TV, tea and coffee making facilities, iron, plenty storage and no problem with noise and the place was clean. Also they have a secure luggage room where you can leave bags for as long as you want. We used this facility since our flights were in the evening and it came in very handy.

Definitely recommend this to anyone on a budget

Unique Quality: Staff were friendly, particularly the man I took to be either the manager or owner - he was very chatty and interested in his guests as well as giving advice on where to go.

Breakfast was a mix of continental and cooked. You could have cereal and/or fruit as well as a cooked breakfast of toast, bacon, sausage, fried egg & tomato [or any combination of those] which set us up nicely for the day.

The hotel itself is located just at the top of O'Connell Street so within walking distance of most places but not in a noisy bar-filled area like Temple Bar. The 747 bus from the airport stopped literally outside the front door, although we had to get on it further down O'Connell St to get BACK to the airport. Still very handy though!

Directions: Just beyond the top of O'Connell St, opposite Garden of Rememberance

sparkieplug24's Profile Photo

Great Place to stay

by written on March 1, 2006

I have not actually stayed in this guest house but members of my family have stayed here a few times and have booked to go back again. The l board is bed and full irish breakfast which I am told is very nice. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the guest house is located in the centre of Dublin.

lambada's Profile Photo

Disgraceful

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 24, 2005

I was unlucky enough to spend 3 nights at this so called guesthouse in April 2005. I was given a room on the fourth floor and therefore had to drag my heavy belongings all the way up there since there is no lift and no porter. The room was long and narrow with a sink in the bedroom rather than the shower room. The shower is tiny, anyone who is the least bit overweight will find it impossible to wash in there. The mattress was soft and worn out. The safe did not work and nor did the iron. Not only is the TV situated behind the bed but the few available stations were all very unclear. There is no telephone in the rooms so everytime I needed to contact the receptionist, I had to use my mobile phone (or else, go down 4 flights of stairs!). I spent the first two nights without a bed side lamp even though I asked for one as soon as I arrived. The most frustrating thing happened a few minutes before I was supposed to check out. I tried taking a shower and to my surprise there was no running water. When I spoke to the receptionist, she told me to wait a few minutes as this was a normal occurence whenever numerous people attempt to use the showers simultaneously. So I waited for about half an hour but it was useless. The receptionist then told me to use a 'public' bathroom on the 3rd floor. There was running water in the bathroom however it decided to quit on me half way through my shower. The receptionist then gave me a key to a room on the second floor. Although I did manage to wash properly in the room I came out of there stinking of cigarettes since it was a smoking room! I only took breakfast on the first morning and I can say that it was nothing to die for! The tiny strip of bacon was rock-hard! All in all, this hotel ruined my stay in Dublin and I would rather not visit Dublin again than torture myself by staying at the Charles Stewart. On a positive note, I must say that all the staff at the Charles Stewart were extremely friendly and helpful - they're Irish after all!

Unique Quality: Historic building therefore no lift. Shabby workmanship.

Directions: Right next to O'Connell Street - Very Central

kevarms's Profile Photo

Charles Stewart Guesthouse

by written on April 2, 2005

I was really happy with my stay here. It's a lovely, rambling Georgian building located in the heart of Dublin.

Unique Quality: Fantastic location, very cheap and friendly staff. Highly recommended if you want to stay in Dublin on a budget, but don't want to stay in a dive.

Directions: on Parnell Square 1 minute walk from the top of O'Connell Street

Address: 5-6 Parnell Street, Dublin, County Dublin, 1, Ireland

1 Photo of Charles Stewart

View Professional Photos

Dublin Travel Forum

Need advice about Dublin, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Dublin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Dublin hotel reviews