Citywest Hotel

Citywest Hotel, Conference & Event Centre
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

• A huge place

I stayed there one night during a business trip beginning of May 2007. I used public transport to go from Dublin center to it. There is a bus stop right in front of the hotel grounds. However as the hotel sits in a middle of a golf court expect to walk around 15 minutes to reach the entrance door ! Charming it can be with the Irish rain and wind.... If you are travelling by car it is of course much better. This hotel hosts a number of business conferences and it is unlikely to be empty. The room was very clean, upgraded with recent victorian style bed and bathroom fittings. The internet is free though wired. The TV also is delivered via digital cable to the room. The bars and restaurants are huge. When travelling on your own you may find a little bit isolated from others. It is well worth the price paid and I recommend though it is remote from the center. Well suited for people travelling by car.

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Room for Improvement

My experience at Dublin’s Citywest Hotel was a confusing one – perhaps because the hotel itself is still a little confused.

With somewhere in the region of 1,500 rooms it is undoubtedly the biggest hotel in all of Ireland, and indeed it is still growing as wing after wing is added to meet the demand of those clamouring to stay here. Billionaire owner Jim Mansfield certainly has the Midas touch as he responds to the needs of the public, and now anticipates their needs and indeed creates more. He keeps a very close eye on things – standing as he was in reception and making a very appropriate issue of the fact that it took the porter half an hour to appear to take my bags to my room.

I found the hotel confusing because it is neither one thing nor another. It attracts the multi millionaire Irish business jet set because of its ample helicopter landing area and its proximity to Weston, Ireland’s private business airport. The public areas of the hotel are indeed lovely, decorated as they are with antiques and fine carpets. However, I found the rooms lacking in essentials that the even mildly successful Irish nouveau riche might require – a safe for valuables, a fridge or mini bar. On making enquiries I found that these things are indeed available…..by request! There’s nothing about that on check in though.

As I departed on Monday morning I decided to make a complaint about these and several other issues. A very lovely and concerned Duty Manager came without delay to meet with me. She sat down and listened patiently to my complaints. She provided comment where appropriate and sympathised with me. She was efficient and I left feeling satisfied and understood.

In addition to all those rooms, there are several bars and restaurants, a full leisure centre, 18 hole golf course, horseriding, and many other facilities. The rooms are large and pleasantly furnished and the beds are most comfortable.

The location might not suit everyone as it's about ten miles from the City Centre.

Unique Quality: The staff at this Hotel are extraordinary. They work hard and always have a welcome smile.

More about Citywest Hotel

Gone downhill

by TripAdvisor Member athtrasna

I've stayed here on several occasions but this time I was disappointed.

Check in was swift, staff polite. Room gorgeous, that has come on. Huge comfy bed, lots of storage space and jacuzzi bath. Wonderful.

Decided to take the stairs to reception, but no access? Bottom floor had old furniture at the stair door.

The room was like a sauna, so so so hot. Same could not be said for shower which was lukewarm at best.

No room service breakfast on a Saturday or Sunday, awful! The hotel was busy so I decided to skip it rather than join the queue.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JDott

The hotel was nice overall. Rooms were average, nothing special to speak of. We liked the complimentary full breakfast. The hot/cold buffet was a bit expensive, but tasty with nice portions. It did take a while to get to the hotel from City Centre (via bus), but we did like that the hotel was out of the city.

Poor excuse for a four star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SpicklesKilkenny

We stayed in this hotel for one night for the 'Lord of the Dance' show. On arrival in the carpark, we were directed down to the very end of it and we walked from there past the golf hotel to the main hotel reception. There was a queue of approx 30 people checking in and when we finally got to the desk, we were told we were booked into the golf hotel instead, this happened to many people and there was no apology made for this so we all had to walk the whole way back to the golf hotel. We were met by a receptionist who looked like she hated her job. The room itself was ok but could do with refurbishment. We decided to make a cup of tea in our room but had to abandon it as the long life milk was gone off! It was all out of date, we asked at reception for some fresh milk but it never appeared. The show itself was staged in the conference centre & many people were left with no assigned seat, chairs had to be brought in & placed at the ends of seat rows. I appreciate that the hotel was extremely busy but I thought that seeing as they hold major events there, they would be prepared! Checkout is 11am and there is a €100 charge if you are late! Breakfast the next morning was nice & was well organised. We checked out straight after and weren't even asked if we enjoyed our stay. This is a very poor excuse for a four star hotel, the only thing beneficial about it was that the show was on there so there was no travelling after it!

Avoid at all costs!

by TripAdvisor Member BrotherAmen

Stayed on 21st July for the opening night of Lord of the Dance. Paid for the Executive upgrade too, since it was supposed to be a romantic night out. First off, it took us 20 minutes plus to check in. The bathroom light was broken - which was never fixed having asked the moment we checked in. Ordered room service, and was told that the kitchen was 'being hammered out of it' - an unprofessional response to say the least. We were told that it might take up to 45 minutes for the food to arrive. - An hour and five minutes later, worried we'd be late for the show, we cancelled our order. After the show, we asked for champagne glasses and a bucket of ice...there we're no buckets available, and we were handed one red-wine glass and one white-wine glass! Upon returning to the room, we again ordered room service. This arrived within 30 minutes. The food had the same texture as rubber - it was aweful! To top it all, they don't serve breakfast in the bedroom on a Sunday morning...why? I would not recommend this hotel to anyone ever. We stayed in one of their better rooms, which was okay, but the service was extremely poor!

its good value for what you get

Just back stayed there last night 27th after four of us seen the Lord of the Dance show.

I have never been any where that so many people where staying all at once lol it was a lively place bars were always full tables and chairs were hard some times to come by we did not eat dinner here we went to a local restaurant Browns Barn it was a good night over all.

I will say this most of the guests were down to earth Irish people not what I had though I would have found staying over night here.

The room in the hotel was very large one double bed and a single can’t say a word against it at all very clean and very comfy.

The staff were ok, its our 2nd night in a hotel in one week and I have to say this was not the better of the 2 however it only cost 90 euro for the 2 of us and breakfast also now that was very nice all you want very busy also, its good value.

I like it as it only cost 90 euro had it cost more I would have had problems with it I'm sure.

Nice hotel but too far from Dublin

by TripAdvisor Member Ga_Ma_Be

After a week around Ireland in B&B, we decided to stay in a good hotel for our last night... well it was just OK. We had a lot of problem to find it from Dublin. The room was very nice and the bathroom clean and big.
The breakfast room is so big that it looks like a school restaurant and not very clean.
It is a good hotel but too expensive.

Dreadful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DublinGirlie

This hotel was dreadful - avoid if you can. I can't believe they have the cheek to call this a 4 star hotel. On arrival you have to queue to check in (about 20 mins). The bed was lumpy and out of shape - the middle of the bed was caved in. Our room was very close to the lifts - didn't get a wink of sleep all night with the shouts and roars of drunken guests waiting for the lift every 20 mins. The nice restaurant in the hotel was closed. In the leisure centre the floor area around the pool and ladies changing area needed a good cleaning. The floors were full of grime. I have absoloutely nothing nice to say about this hotel. It was a complete waste of money staying here.
We had dinner in Lemongrass the City West Golf Hotel across the way - this hotel looked much nicer and the meal was lovely.

stay away the staff are horrendous

by TripAdvisor Member liked_copper

the staff are the rudest I have ever come across, the only good thing was the Lemongrass restaurant in the Golf hotel beside it. At breakfast we asked 3 different staff members at least 3 times each if we could have some tea. In the end I walked up and asked could I take the pot as our breakfast was almost finished. On check out it was total confusion. We were checking out the 2 rooms (2 people in 1 room, 3 in the other) to be told no there are 6 of you. We advised that there were 5. We were then being charged the wrong rate and had to advise the staff member of what we were quoted when we booked the night. We then advised that one of the rooms had ordered sandwiches as room service (we are honest people) to be told no you didn’t. We said yes we did, we ate them so we know. Then she said well there is no room service at weekends????? Staff horrible, just don't bother going your custom won't be welcomed.

Comments