Grafton Capital Hotel

Lower Stephens Street, (formerly The Grafton Plaza), Dublin, County Dublin, 2, Ireland

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 13% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Very Noisy

I would not recommend this hotel.

I recently stayed at the Grafton Capital Hotel in Dublin whilst on a business trip. Although my room was on the 4th floor the noise from the 'Break for the Border' nightclub below was awful. I don’t know which was worse, the bass beat from the club, or the people outside in the courtyard shouting and laughing below (they were just out for a good time - not their fault that I was trying to sleep). I ended up phoning the credit card company call centre at 2.30 a.m. in the morning to try to stop the payment (didn’t work). Other colleagues had a similar experience.

I don’t think it’s fair that they can book you into rooms directly above a night club knowing that guests are going to struggle to get much sleep until Break for the Border closes at 3 a.m...

Don’t expect a decent night’s sleep if you stay at this hotel on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

• Very noisy expect no sleep

We were booked here for a work event that went into the weekend, but every night we were all kept awake with the noise from the nightclub downstairs and the general people out partying noise. This was even with asking for a quiet room having seen reviews saying it was noisy.
    Great if you are planning on partying until 3-4am, but the noise before that will effect your sleep.

• lopesaround's Profile Photo

Not a bad spot

We passed through here on our honeymoon. Roomwise, I found the hotel to be just fine and certainly not bad given price and location. We enjoyed our room. Our room was imediately facing building construction. The noise from the danceclub right downstairs was very loud and the bass drowned out most of the drunken yells until closing time. However, we were generally very spent from busy days and nights in Dublin that we did not lose much sleep over it. The front desk staff gave us bad directions to our car rental and were generally not very pleasant to work with.

Unique Quality: Great location. Very reasonable price. Good room size/accomodation.

• Beautiful and Close to it all

My sister and I stayed at the Grafton Capital Hotel and we LOVED it.. After a trip to London, we really expected a tiny room, but we found our room was big and beautiful! The bathroom was great, and the beds were very comfortable!

The best thing was that we could walk everywhere. It cost a bit more than some, but the convience of being able to just walk to Grafton Street, or to St.Stephen's park, and to the pubs was just the best.

It was a bit noisy on Saturday night with people leaving the pubs and dancing and yelling in the streets.. but that was fun to listen to.

Directions: Near Grafton Street

• LittleDee's Profile Photo

Ideal location

The Grafton Capital Hotel is in a really good central location. It's very close to Grafton Street and St Stephens Green and the hotel is only a 10/15 min staggering distance from Temple Bar so you wouldn't need to get a taxi after a night out.

The hotel itself is very good. Its clean and the staff are really helpful and the breakfasts are good.

The only negative thing I would say about it is that there is bar/nightclub below the hotel which in itself doesn't cause a problem but unfortunately people falling out of it at 2am/3am isn't so great. There are only two ways to avoid this, 1. stay out late yourself or 2. take earplugs.

Unique Quality: Great location

• Laumas's Profile Photo

Central Location, But lots of Noise

Our group (17 people) stayed at this Hotel for two nights. The room was quite nice, spacious, clean and well equipped. The location of the Hotel is a short walk from Grafton Street, Stevens Park and Trinity College.

The problem with the hotel is it's connected to a club which blasts (and it is ears-plitting) pop music from 8:30PM until 2am. It is not affiliated with the hotel so it has no control over it. In my room on the second floor, the room vibrated because of it.

The breakfast served with your stay is good, but not outstanding compared with others.

I would not recommend this hotel because of the noise, unless you like to party all night to Disco Music and crawl up to your bed, then it is perfect!

Unique Quality: Very cental location.

Directions: Central Location, near Temple Bar, Trinity College and Stevens park

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

THIS WAS REALLY A BEST ONE.....

The last days before catching a flight back to The Netherlands, I love spending in DUBLIN, enjoying that CITY once again, having a fine hotel there and preparing for the return flight!

This hotel is centrally located in Dublin's most fashionable and cultural area, just off the shopping area of GRAFTON STREET and close to TEMPLE BAR, the left bank quarter of Dublin.

A traditional georgian style townhouse hotel, offering all the comforts you would wish for.....

More about Grafton Capital Hotel

Location, location at the Grafton Capital

by TripAdvisor Member Redheads

My sister and I (in our 40's from the U.S.) spent 5 nights 12/28/-1/2 at the Grafton Capital and were more than satisfied with the hotel. The location - just a couple of blocks from Grafton Street was ideal, and the twin bedded room was a decent size by US standards. The hotel is older and decor not exceptional, but it is clean, with comfortable beds and adequate bathroom with great shower. I had read in Tripadvisor about the occasional problem with noise from the pub below, so a couple of weeks before we travelled I emailed that we preferred a quiet room on an upper floor and this request was honored with a room on the top (5th) floor. Even on New Year's Eve we had no problem at all with noise. Our Expedia package did not include breakfast, so I can't comment on the restaurant, but there are numerous cafes and restaurants in the area so this was no problem at all. The Metro Cafe across the street was just what we needed for coffee and scones in the morning. We would highly recommend the Grafton Capital.

Noisey weekend

by TripAdvisor Member SheilaBBelfast

My husband and I have just returned from a visit to the Grafton Capital Hotel in Dublin. This was our second visit as we enjoyed our first one so much. Unfortunately, our stay this time was ruined by noisey patrons leaving the night club and pub across from the hotel in the early hours of Saturday and Sunday morning (there were hundreds of drunken young people). So unless you stay out drinking all night and don't mind being kept awake, pick a different hotel or ask for a room on a high floor well away from the noise. Also, our bedroom smelled of stale smoke and took some time for us to freshen the place up.

Somewhat disappointed this time, as the hotel couldn't be in a better situation for the city centre.

Sorry about these negative thoughts.

Grafton is Great!

by TripAdvisor Member Jillieboe

Went to the Grafton Capital in October with Family & friends....(12 of us on a Girly weekend).
Reception staff very friendly, clean rooms and for the price we paid it was excellent!
Has two bars....one with live entertainment (downstairs, Fridays), and other with DJ. So which ever you prefer... not necessary to go further a field unless you would like to see/hear traditional irish music...
As we were on the 5th floor we had no problems with noise from the clubs...but it ends at 2.30am, so if you aint there to party, I'd ask for a higher floor!!!
Definately recommend this hotel. We had a great time!

Good location. No complaints

by TripAdvisor Member dme625

Just returned from staying at this hotel. Rooms were clean, location very good. Check in was easy. It is true that there is noise that comes from the street at all hours of the morning, however, after 5 hotels in all areas of Ireland this hardly is out of the ordinary. Ireland has a lot of pubs and people out late. It isn't the hotels fault if noise comes from the street.
Typical. Not outstanding, but comfortable.

Good Quality, Central Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ahmurray

I can echo the sentiments of others here regarding this hotel.

It is in my view a good quality city centre hotel, ie space is at a premium, so the reception area is small and there is no gym/leisure club (although guests can use a nearby gym for free).

The location is its main selling point, as it is ideal for shopping, eating out, or nightlife. As others have said, there was some noise after dark, but maybe if you asked for a room on a higher floor this wouldn't be so bad. I think anywhere nearby would be the same.

Room was fine; spacious, clean and well-decorated, but not sensational.

What impressed me was the friendliness and efficiency of the staff, very keen to help.

Another plus point was the breakfast - although it was a buffet, everything was really fresh, hot and tasty, not like the usual greasy luke-warm affair.

Rates were reasonable, I would visit again.

Idea's

by Oddie1983

Hello all,
I have arranged a suprise trip to dublin for my boyfriends birthday 23rd-26th October and was wondering if anyone had any idea's what we could do when there. I want it to be fun, nothing im against the main thing is the places to go. If anyone has any idea it would b much appreciated, thanks

by JulesH

I've just come back from Dublin and have one big tip: whatever you do, don't stay in the Grafton Capital Hotel! Worst place I've ever stayed! :(

I guess it depends what your idea of fun is: if you want the drunken tourist experience then Temple Bar has many bars and just across the river is the Arlington hotel for a fun night...also Break for the Border which was downstairs from my hotel seemed pretty lively until all hours (it has a club attached too.)

Bizarrely, although the area hosts both this dreadful hotel and noisy bar/club, the area around South William Street also has the more upmarket bars. The Port House was a lovely, lively tapas bar that is well worth a visit! The South William Bar is also a popular and clubby place and has a really young funky crowd.

I'd recommend staying at a decent hotel like the Clarence (owned by Bono and the Edge)

by Ina08

Go and have lunch or dinner at Fallon & Byrne in 11-13 Exchequer Street. Outside it looks like a foodstore but if you go downstairs (after having ordered and taken your food with you from the deli counter in the foodshop) you find a great environment and great wines.

For great Thai food and fantastic service go to Saba in 26-28 Clarendon Street, which is a parallel road to Grafton (Reservation recommended).

And maybe this website gives you inspiring ideas of where to go http://www.dublinks.com/

Have fun!

by footstool

what's the "OP"? Speaking of noisy hotels, Never stay at the Hotel Admiral in Copenhagen, especially on a Friday night. The booming disco music doesn't stop still 3 a.m., after which you're too rattled to get to sleep anyway.

by sandyn

Hi!
What do you like to do? Do you like history, museums, gardens,etc.? How about touring the Guinness Brewery? Newgrange is not far from Dublin and very cool. We also loved Glendalough, but what exactly do you like to do?

Comments