Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel Malahide
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• stay away

Don't make the same mistake my family and I made in staying at this wretched hotel. The service throughout our stay was sub standard at best. The rooms which were advertised as spacious and having ocean view were cramped, overlooked a stagnant pond and had moldy ceilings in the bathrooms. My showers began warm but quickly turned to arctic cold torrents of pain - I'm not sure how the mold survived the showers as I barley did. When I politely asked about hot water I was assured this would be seen to which it never was. I spent the entire weekend trying to get warm and failing miserably except when I went to the Hotel bar and had quite possibly the most expensive watered down excuse for an Irish coffee that has ever been served. I love Malahide, the pubs, shopping, beach & castle but I would advise staying at any other hotel, B&B, or wooden bench rather than this pathetic attempt of a tourist trap hole in a wall hotel. Grand it is not!

Unique Quality: cold showers, rude service & over pricing.

More about Grand Hotel

The Grand has redeemed itself

by TripAdvisor Member Songbird9292

We revisited the Grand following our "weekend from hell" courtesy of a complementary voucher following my complaints. This time we got a beautiful room complete with sofas, fantastic shower and spa bath. It really is the best place to stay in Malahide, which is a beautiful quaint little village.

In a way I cannot wait to see when all the work is finished. At the moment it not too disruptive but some of the lovely views from the restaurant were blocked.

Staff were nice and friendly and helpful and the only downside I felt was the restaurant. It is really dated and the food was just ok, which is a shame considering all the beautiful local restaurants is has to compete with.

But that said I am sure we will be back in the future.

Excellent!!!

by TripAdvisor Member volkswagen

8 of us stayed at the Grand Hotel at the end of August for a two night break. Each of our 4 rooms were very clean and comfortable and overlooked the picturesque Marina in Malahide. The Hotel is ideally placed to catch the train into Dublin. The staff at the hotel restaurant, bar and leisure centre were very friendly and helpful. One of our nights included an excellent meal in the restaurant and the breakfast each morning was delicious and cooked to order! Despite the fact that the Hotel is undergoing extensive building work our stay was not disrupted in any way. Our party were in total agreement that the Grand provided the perfect base for our stay in Ireland and we all look forward to staying there again in the future.

Nice hotel disappointing restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member maggsy74

A tripadvisor member from Manchester
My husband and I stayed at the grand as part of a wedding party on 15th and 16th of september 2006. There were 18 of us altogether. All our rooms seemed to be quite different, some had a fridge some a safe but no fridge, we had a little box with two chocolates left each morning but none of the others had the same. Nevertheless we all agreed the rooms were great and the hotel was in a fabulous location. We all loved the tea and scones which could be ordered and taken in the comfortable reception area.
I would definately advise against having dinner in the main restaurant, the food was nice but not great and at 90 euros for a two course meal for two with a half bottle of ordinary wine its not worth it. Also although we arrived in the restaurant at 9 15 pm, an hour before closing the manager sat us at an awkward little table by the kitchen door where we had to sit facing the wall. a lot of nicer tables were available but had already been set for breakfast. It really spoiled our night.
we may go back to the Grand Hotel again but next time we will walk into the lovely little village of Malahide where there are lots of nice restaurants.

Not so GRAND, overpriced, under delivered

by TripAdvisor Member oruanaidh

4 star, ur having a laugh. Booked a 4 night stay for the family, £160 per night. Knew as soon as I drove into the carpark that we'd made a mistake. Main car park is a poorly lit waste ground.

Arrived at reception (not easy to find) and the area is not exactly plush - exposed varnished ply wood around the area. One girl made a speciality of appearing arrogant an inconvenienced, the other girl was pleasant but not much help.

Requested sea view room, got the usual it can't be garaunteed (thanks for that). So not worth asking in my opinion. You can either book a seaview room or u can't, no point messing people about.

Up stairs to the lift, great more exposed plywood boarding up windows, sawdust over the floor where the workmen and housekeeping decided it was too much hassle to clean it properly. Noone had mentioned any reservations to us.

Into the room, very warm, no air condtioning, very old fashioned, poor lighting, clean and tidy. Bathroom was a cupboard, u have to see it to believe it, but clean.

So had to iron a shirt for work and a pair of jeans. They had the bolted to the wall 12" iron board and non steam iron, welcome to the 18th century. The iron made no dent in the jeans or shirt, so rang reception to ask for a proper iron board and steam iron. It was as if I'd ask them to dance a jig. One girl sneered from the corner of her mouth and eyes. The other apologised and said that was it, there were no other facilities. Thank you Grand! Hate to be a bride or groom getting ready on their wedding day with this lot. DON'T BOTHER for WEDDINGS.

Back up to room - 4 star hotel (yeah right), asked for some warm food at 2230, they don't do it. If you ever watched the Fawlty Towers epsiode on this you'll love the Grand. But not totally out of luck sandwiches. 40 minutes later they arrive, nice eh?

So, overall poor impression from start to finish. Sure you can stay here, but the Hilton is just down the road, costs less and gives more. Do yourself a favour and give this place a miss. It's not that its terrible, but it charges 4 star rates, but gives very poor service. The package was let down to the extent that it just got to me all weekend.

Very nice experience.

by TripAdvisor Member Kontje

I spent seven nights at the Grand for a work conference that took place at the hotel. My room was terrific, though unfortunately I didn't have a view of the harbor. The lunch buffet was nice as was the bar/snack area. The conference meals, specially prepared for us, were a bit long and drawn out, but the food was decent. Very nice workout facilities, including pool, sauna, and jacuzzi, with friendly young staff. Great location. Lots of construction going on at the hotel but we were never inconvenienced by it (no noise problems). Helpful reception staff.

Nice to take evening walks in town and also visit the Malahide Castle. It's an easy/cheap train ride into Dublin. However, do keep in mind that nothing in Ireland is cheap, especially with the American dollar.

Very Average All Round

by TripAdvisor Member menser76

Dissapointing business stay in the Grand Hotel. Rooms were ok, spacious, nothing really special but no real complaints.
My problems lies with the general level of service and food: Just a few bullet pointed examples:

-On checking in the young lady attending to me (very politely it must be said) was rudely interrupted by another staff member who asked her to pass her ciggarettes from the back of the reception area. She was too lazy to walk around herself and decided to interrupt a guest who was checking in was an easier option- not a good first impression

-Food was average at best, I ordered hake one of the nights - I had a vision that fish in a seaside village would be nice and fresh.Unfortunaltey they used a sweet chilli sauce to disguise the fact it wasn't fresh. What chef would ruin fresh fish with a sweet chilli sauce?

-There was a group of 12 of us staying on a business course, we opted to eat in the bar one of the nights. The waitress instead of attending to each persons order individually shouted down the table to take orders. We mimicked sign language at her until she came to serve us.

-THe steak sandwich in the bar was not nice. It had no sauce just meat , which was not in steak format, rather cut up and not good quality. I've worked in the beef industry, I decided not to eat this very bland sandwich. On the plus side, fries were thick and tasty

-as mentioned I arrived with a negative and left with a very negative. A colleague of mine checked out when we finished the course and settled his bill for over 700 euros' . He had a few hours to kill in the hotel before catching a flight home. He asked could he use the swimming faciilty while he waited. After just settling a large bill you would expect some leeyway but he was told he was no longer a guest because he had checked out and was told to he would have to pay 10 euro to use the pool, out of principle he refused.

Thats my honest opinion and experiences, average rooms, below average food and poor service.

I will not be staying again. I will be recommending that the course I was on change their venue in the future.

Abit Old, but Worth It

by TripAdvisor Member munchkin

Just got back from a weekend stay at the Grand. Fisrts of all, it has seen better days. THe reception is off from the main door, and it isn't easy to get ones luggage in and out, kind of an odd set up from earlier years. But the hotel is undergoing a major restoration. THe staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was small but very nice, with a huge black and white tiled bathroom overlooking the harbour. Don't expect the standard room to like like the web site picture, I don't think those rooms exist here. Anyway, the leisure center was terrific, lots of equipment and a beautiful pool. We got a special weekend 2 nite rate with a great hot/ cold breakfast included. Also got a dinner one nite included. It was a 3 course meal with coffe or tea included. THe normal rate was $55 or so dollars per person, and the food was surprisingly great! Overall, a terrific experience.

Love The Grand and Malahide

by TripAdvisor Member GibbsvilleGirl

This was our second stay at The Grand and we will return in the future. As stated in previous posts, the hotel is in the middle of a huge refurbishment and you will notice the signs of construction around the hotel. Fortunately, we were not disturbed by any noise in the early morning and the good things about the hotel far out number the bad.

We had 3 rooms booked for 4 nights. The hotel is eclectic in that each of our rooms had different bedding, was a different size and had different views. I'm assuming eventually all of the rooms will have the same look. We asked for an early check-in because our flight arrived at 9 am. They were able to accommodate our request but had to put us into rooms as they became available. Rooms were very clean, warm and dry. Bathrooms were a nice size. One minor complaint, the hair dryer provided in each room was located in the desk drawer and not mobile. Hard to operate.

Breakfast each morning was very good and we did enjoy a wonderful dinner at the hotel on our first night stay. The evening meal in the restaurant was far improved from what we experienced in the hotel 2 years ago. Really excellent. The Matt Ryan pub at the hotel was a great meeting area, very busy and also served a light menu if you preferred. Tea in the lobby by the fireplace is also very popular with the hotel guests and locals. Overall, the staff was very sweet, helpful and a mix of nationalities.

The Leisure Center was great for workouts with a beautiful view of the water and never too crowded. Staff was also very friendly. The pool is impressive. Go in the morning and you may have it all to yourself! However, some nights there are children swimming lessons so check with the staff for time.

We had a smooth check-in and check out but we did notice some people questioning their final bills. Be sure you get your rate quoted in writing and bring it with you to avoid any confusion. We paid 130 euros a night per room (2 people in each). Price included breakfast and 2 dinners.

A few thoughts about Malahide. This town is a gem. If you are visiting the Dublin area do yourself a favor and make this your base. The airport is 10 minutes away. You can take a cab to the hotel and not have to rent a car. The train into the city is a few blocks from the hotel. There is a beautiful walkway along the beach (goes on for miles). The restaurants are plentiful and busy. Two that you should check out are Ciao and Cruzzo both down by the marina.

We can't wait to return to The Grand and Malahide. Hopefully, the construction will be complete by the time of our next visit.

Dublin College Humour :)

by orlikins

"Anti-Trinity tirade starts here!"

Seeing as the reason I came to Dublin was to attend university - in my case Dublin City University - I thought it might be fun to add some local college humour to my Dublin page.

In Dublin, there are three universities - DCU, UCD and Trinity. Then there are about 8-10 Institutes of Technology and of course some private fee-paying colleges scattered around the city and suburbs.

So why are Trinity getting the raw end? Well, Trinity students just have this rep of being promiscious, rich spoilt & thick southside brats, and a lot of the courses arent worth the toilet paper they're written on. Way back, the Anglo-irish aristocracy would only send their sons to Trinity if they couldnt get into college in England (Oxford/Cambridge) and so the stereotype. Of course I'm not saying every Trinner is stupid/spoilt - it's pretty hard to get into college in Dublin, but dont lets get all P.C. about it.

Since this photo was taken, Alan (Trinity) has become a banker and Mary (UCD) is now a social worker and is taking a career break to travel around South America.

"Exsqueeze me?"

A DCU, a UCD and a Trinity student were in an airplane that crashed, They're up in heaven, and God's sitting on the great white throne.

God addresses the DCU student first: "What do you believe in?" The DCU Student replies, "Well, I believe in power to the people. I think people should be able to make their own choices about things and that no one should ever be able to tell someone else what to do. I also believe in feeling people's pain." God thinks for a second and says "Okay, I can live with that. Come and sit at my left."

God then addresses the UCD student: "What do you believe in?" The UCD student replies, "Well, I believe that the combustion engine is evil and that we need to save the world from CFCs and that if any more freon is used, the whole earth will become a greenhouse and we'll all die....Waaahhh." God thinks for a second and says: "Okay, that sounds good. Come and sit at my right."

God then addresses the Trinity student. "What do you believe in?"
"I believe you're in my chair."

And here's a pic of a DCU student (moi) and a Trinity student at a UCD party. Trust me, it's entirely innocent :)

Q. Why don't they have Christmas at Trinity?
A. They can't find a virgin and three wise men.

Q. What's the first thing a Trinity girl does when she wakes up in the morning?
A. Walks home

Q. Did you hear that the library at Trinity burned down?
A. Naturally, the students were very upset....some of the books weren't colored-in yet.

Q. Why do Trinity graduates put a copy of their diploma in the window of their vehicles?
A. So they can park in handicap spaces.

Q. How do you get a IT grad off your front porch?
A. Pay him for the pizza.

Q. What do tornadoes and graduates from IT's have in common?
A. They both end up in trailer parks.

Q. What does a IT student call a D.C.U student after graduation?
A. Boss
(Some day, this may come true!!)

How many Trinity students does it take to change a lightbulb?
One - he holds the bulb and the world revolves around him

"Who said DCU couldnt do posh?"

Now here is a pic of me, Andrew & John at the DCU Clubs & Societies Ball in the Grand Hotel, Malahide, Co. Dublin in November 2000.

The Dub

"Dublin Waaaazzzup!"

Christy (on telephone) - Hey head? f*ckin' story?
Anto - Jaysus, I'm watchin' Fair Sitty, havin' a E.
Christy - Respect. Where's Jayo?
Anto - Jayo, pick up de phone for de love of f*ck.
Jayo - Story?
Christy - Storeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?
Jayo - Storeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?
Anto - Storeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? way a minit dere's a head a de door.
Garo - Storeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?
Anto - Storeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?
Jayo - Storeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?
Christy - Storeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?
Anto - So bollix, what's the story?
Christy - F*ck all, just watchin' Fair Sitty, havin' a E.
Anto: Respect, respect.