Gresham Hotel Dublin

Gresham Hotel
Booking.com Orbitz.com The Gresham Dublin

Costs 43% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• MF-on-tour's Profile Photo

Nothing special for a 4 star hotel.

I've stayed at the Gresham twice now. The first time I stayed in one of the 'Lavery Rooms'. The luxurious room was very spacious and so to was the marble bathroom with separate bath and shower. The second time I stayed in a 'Standard Room'. While the room amenities were the same, it was much smaller and the bathroom was basic with the shower in the bath. The 'Standard Room' is most certainly not 4 star despite the price.

The hotel in general is very elegance and is situated on the historical O'Connell Street with lots of public transport, only 15 minute walk from Connelly train station. The Gresham seems to cater mainly for older retired generations and can feel like a retirement home at times however on the plus side it makes the hotel a quiet and pleasant environment.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

A fun place if a little country set!

I have stayed in the Gresham a number of times over the years and always found it a pleasant and welcoming place.

However you should check to see what is happening in the city as they seem to attract a wide range of clientèle - the All Ireland Hurling Final is a good time to visit.

Unique Quality: Historic location and good heritage.

Directions: close to the post office

• Kementari's Profile Photo

Gresham falls short

For such a grand old lady and for such an exorbitant price, you expect a little more. We found our expensive room small, no view, noisy and a bathroom door that jammed. It was also quite a tired room in need of new fittings; all this would be bearable except that we paid top dollar for something better suited to the 2 - 3 star cost bracket! Food in the restaurant, both dinner and breakfast, was a tad bland; again not what you would expect for such a place! Service in The writers bar is poor too; I have been here 35min and still no service! Im not hidden away either; perhaps there is a stigma attached to being a single traveller!

Unique Quality: The location is very handy

• freespirit1's Profile Photo

Character & Location

Well Dublin isn't a cheap town but to get a room in a hotel of this quality and class for less than the cost of a backpacker's room was great.
    The location at Parnell Square was excellent where everything was either on foot or a quick bus ride away.
    I would definitely recommend this hotel so that you can experience an era long gone.

Unique Quality: Outstanding Landmark building yet all the mod cons have been incorporated without compromising on the heritage.
    Close to Croke Park, Temple Bar, the IFSC and the new Convention Centre Dublin (CCD). The hotel is close to the shopping districts of the city making it the ideal location, visit the department store Arnotts or take a bus ride to the Guiness factory or just walk and see what you find.

• freespirit1's Profile Photo

Location & Class on a beer budget

OK it was a last minute rate literally at the last minute as the booked place of stay was a dump, but this is a beautiful old hotel with service with a smile. Step out the door and everything is at your fingertips including the Airport bus - just think this was only 20 more euros than the YHA!

Unique Quality: A very old hotel that has been kept in good shape

Directions: Get off the bus at Parnell Square, has a car park if you are game to drive.

• DrexelDragon's Profile Photo

Old heads stay here

I stayed at the Gresham simply because my company pays for my accomodations, and there are certain limits to it. Normally, those limits would not permit me to stay here, but I found a web special and snuck in under the hotel's radar. I showed up at the front desk with my confirmation page and the nightly rate. The guy must have tried to find the same thing I got online, because he stood there for about 10-15 minutes pecking away at the keyboard and just staring at the monitor. I was able to stay there for 80lbs. a nite, when the place is usually double that.

Anyway, it's a rather old hotel that's on the north side of the Liffey, the river that divides the city. It's undergone renovation work, and is a very nice hotel overall. The room was tasteful and large. The bathroom bore the mark of the most renovation work. Thus, being the discerning traveller that I have become because of work, I have come to recognize the appreciation for a quality hotel bathroom. This one was superb. The shower stall alone would make me want to stay here again, if it only wasn't for the fact that it doesn't cater to the younger generations. It's mostly for older, money spending tourists and the wealthy.

Unique Quality: Elegant
    Not the party scene

Directions: North of the Liffey

• kathycollins's Profile Photo

The Gresham Hotel

I stayed at this hotel with the Joints in Motion program of the American Arthrits Foundation - I normally am a B&B or even hostel type of visitor! While the facility was lovely, and the breakfasts very well done, I don't think its worth the extra money to stay in this hotel.

Unique Quality: Old world elegance only goes so far when there's no place to plug in your curling iron...the ONLY electircal outlet was in the entry, at the FLOOR level - we even had to carry the tea making facilities there, and make our tea on the floor!

More about Gresham Hotel Dublin

Hotel Bar

by Carino about Toddys Bar @ Gresham Hotel

Waiting for our Bus to the Airport, Toddys Bar was the closest place to wait. It's a huge bar, belonging to the Gresham Hotel%.

1/2 Ale is € 2.75, 1/2 Lager € 2.90, Pint of Lager is € 4.75. It's a hotel bar, so you shouldn't look to crappy.... but you don't need to dress up either.

HOP ON - HOP OFF....

by eden_teuling

CITY SIGHTSEEING

DUBLIN TOUR : 24 hrs. valid tickets! which is great, really hop on and hop off....

1. THE DUBLIN TOUR
departs Daily from Eason's O"Connell St.
stop 1
Lower Grafton Street stop 2

First tour 9.40AM then every 15 minutes until last tour 4.30PM

2. THE WICKLOW TOUR
Incl.Ballykissangel & Glendalough

A journey through the Garden of Ireland taking you first into the pretty village of Avoca (Ballykissangel) and then back in time to the 6th Century settlement of Glendalough.

Departure: at 10AM at the GRESHAM HOTEL.

3. THE DUBLIN BAY AND CASTLE TOUR
incl. MALAHIDE CASTLE

An afternoon adventure to one of the more famous Irish ancestral castles, saving the stunning views of Dublin Bay from Howth summit until last!

Departure: at 2.30PM at the GRESHAM HOTEL

In next tip I shall tell you about two more trips!

NOTE: advanced bookings required for trips 2 - 5 !!

My concerns on previous reviews were unfounded - hotel was great

Having made the reservation at the Gresham Hotel I then read the reviews and was concerned at some of the adverse comments. I contacted the hotel who pleasantly advised me that the hotel was definitely worthy of its 4* rating and I decided to continue with my booking. We stayed in room 556 and this was an excellent spacious room with all mod cons, staff were very pleasant and helpful at all times and I could not fault the hotel at all. I think we were fortunate in getting a spacious room as I don't believe they were all like of the size of the room we were allocated but I would definitely stay at the Gresham when I am in Dublin next but probably worth requesting a good sized room.

Good foyer and bar area, but...

by TripAdvisor Member sara226

My partner and I stayed at the Gresham Hotel on 3rd and 4th December 2004. Our first impressions were good as the reception and bar areas were stylish and welcoming. However the bedroom was mediocre; small, noisy, dingy and dated. Worst of all the room smelt of cigarette smoke which was even more noticeable now that smoking is banned everywhere else.

Breakfast was the standard breakfast buffet, however the breakfast room was over-crowded and noisy.

Overall a good central location but we won't be returning.

Nice hotel, but...

by TripAdvisor Member Elle481

Booked the Gresham hotel after checking the net. Was ready to stay at a three star on the other side of the Liffey in Temple Bar, but the booking agent suggested the Gresham as it was a four star, included breakfast, and was $20 cheaper a night than the other hotel. We checked in early due to an 8am flight arrival and had to wait until noon. Not a problem as we expect this when flying overseas. Our room was AWFUL!!! Shabby and dumpy! If this was a four star I would hate to see what the three star would have been. My husband was not happy with me as he wanted the other hotel in the busy Temple Bar district. I express my dissatisfation to the desk and was told to use the room until 3pm and then come down for another room. Was this the same hotel? I couldn't believe my eyes. We were given a beautiful room in the newly renovated section. It was as different as night and day! (I have had this problem happen many times in our travels. We have come to believe that first arriving guests are given the rooms they need to get rid of and the better rooms are given out later. Many times travelers are soo tired after an 8+ hour flight all they want to do is meet their pillow. I have complained each time and was graciously given a far better room than my first!!)
Breakfast was wonderful and the concierge was most helpful as was all of the staff- ask the older gentlemen for restaurant suggestions - wev'e learned that over the years. Young people tend to think that TGIF's, etc. it wonderful food. We tend to look for up and coming chefs and great regional food. (hey, that's half the reason we travel!!)
My only complaint (after the room) was the location. It would have not been my first choice and will not be in the future. It was located on the main drag in the business district. We would have prefered to be on the other side of the Liffey, where the action is. All we did for three days is run back and forth on the bridge. Not a problem for many people, but as I said, we would have rather been in all the action - especially the night life. It was pretty empty at night by our hotel.

Nice Traditional Hotel

The Gresham Hotel looks really beautiful from the outside. It has all the classic charm of a traditional hotel. The reception is very neat though a little small. Attached to this reception area is the sitting area where one could have pleasant afternoon tea. Very nice cakes and scones available.

The room we got was a Deluxe Double and although very neat and clean was just alright especially if you're a light sleeper. Our room was on the 2nd floor and surrounded by 3 utilities room. This wasn't too pleasant, especially when cleaning starts quite early in the morning(naturally), for anyone who might have had a late night.

The hotel room doors(at least on the level i was on) did not seem to have the door-stoppers to stop the room doors from slamming. Because of this, the long corridor my room was situated echoed the door shutting of every other room door along the corridor. If you're a light sleeper, that's a demerit point.

Aside from this issue, we did like the place. It wasn't filled with young travellers who were running along corridors like in hostels.(thank gdness) But neither was it too posh and hi-brow that we could not even have a late night out returning to the room at wee hours.

The hotel patrons staying there whilst we were there seemed to be mostly of the 40s and above age group. Perhaps that's what's to be expected from a hotel with this much history.

All in all, i'd recommend this hotel for its traditional appeal and great locality(in the heart of Dublin city) which makes walking to everywhere so much ease. However, if possible, best to request for a room away from any utilities room if you want a peaceful night sleep.

Cannot fault this hotel. The Best hotel i have stayed in in Dublin. The Rooms are very well appointed and comfortable. Complimentary Tea, Coffee facility was a welcome bonus. Staff were exceptionally friendly and could not do enough during my stay. Can only but highly reccommend this hotel.

Airport bus stop by Gresham HotelAirport bus stop by Gresham Hotel

airport to cruise ship

by kymartha

How far is the airport to cruise ship, and are there any buses that I can use? If I took a cab, what would be the expected price? Thanks for any help.

Re: airport to cruise ship

by cgf

A taxi to Dublin city will take about 20 minutes and cost approximately €15.00.

have more info here

Re: airport to cruise ship

by annemariebyrne

The distance from Dublin airport to Dublin port is about 8 miles. It is quite difficult to calculate fares because there are different charges depending on the time of day, day of week, luggage etc. If you want to try to work it out have a look at www.taxiregulator.ie or www.taxi.ie
I would estimate it to be anything from €20 to €40 depending on circumstances.
If you want to save money you could take any of the bus services from the airport to the city centre (eg The Gresham Hotel on O'Connell Street) and then take a taxi to the port (good taxi rank opposite the Gresham).

Comments