Johnstown House Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Costs 43% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Tekae79's Profile Photo

Jacobs Inn (hostel)

There were 10 of us stayed in one ensuite room with 5 bunk beds. Bathroom with shower (not too sure about shower in 2 or 4 or 8 bed-share). Clothes rail, electrical outlets, safe deposit locker for passports, etc (need deposit to use).

No-frills accomodation with all the basic essentials. All you need for a good night sleep - nothing more, nothing less. When travelling, how long are you going to spend in your hotel room?

Cheap, cheerful accomodation. Short stay, long stay - definitely come here again.

Unique Quality: Huge windows, 4 metres length curtains, as big as the windows!! Though windows only open at top for safety and security reasons.

The air circulation can be a little stuffy in the summer, when we went. But you can always keep the door open if you need to.

Directions: Main site is at http://www.hosteldublin.com/

Can search other hostels but Jacobs Inn is the one i went to. Defibitely recommended.
    5 mins walk from bus stop (to airport).

More about Johnstown House Hotel

An enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member Rjoc

When you drive up to the Marriott Johnstown House Enfield Hotel you could be forgiven for thinking you had made a terrible mistake as the facade of the old house around which the hotel is built looks quite run down. Fortunately, everything is as you would expect once you cross the threashold.

I stayed for here for three nights in what the girl on reception classed as the new 'apartments' behind the hotel. I was a little unsure until, to my surprise, I saw I would be living in what could only be described as a very large, spacious two bedroomed house!

Downstairs had a fully fitted kitchen, dining table and chairs, toilet, sofa bed, flatscreen tv, safe, the lot. Outside there was a solid wooden patio table and four chairs. Upstairs had two ensuite bedrooms (one double and one twin) and a balcony in the front bedroom. Even though it contained everything you would need for a self contained stay, you were treated as though you were staying in the main hotel with a daily maid service and a full room service menu.

I had breakfast included with my booking and it was decent spread. They had everything available from cereals to a good Irish fry up and plenty of it to set you up for the day.

The Spa and leisure facilities were some of the best I've seen in any hotel and would urge patrons to make full use of them during their stay. Jacuzzi, outdoor hot-tub, 25 metre pool, kids pool, sauna, steam room and a gym with enough machines and stations to ensure you can workout at even the busiest periods.

The only let down for me were the prices in the hotel which were quite expensive, even for someone like me who is used to paying top dollar in Dublin. €4.60 for a pint of Guinness?? There is very little else around the hotel (particlarly during the week) and as such they have a captive market. Perhaps when I go back I will spend more time in the pool and less in the bar!

Great value hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Dfenz

This hotel proved to be somewhat of a surprise hit for me. I had to attend a business meeting at the hotel followed by a function later that evening and on all accounts the hotel excelled.

The food in the hotel was superb from the top quality buffet lunch to the main event later that evening. Although service was a little slow the small function room in what appeared to be a loft overlooking the main dining area proved very cosy. The bar areas were very comfortable and extremely popular even with guests attending other functions in the hotel that night.

The staff througout were very nice and helpful.

I agree with some reviewers that one might not expect this hotel to be located just off the N4 motorway (not the Enfield side) as the image presented is of a manor in the countryside . Nevertheless its far enough way from the hustle and bustle to make an interesting proposition for a romantic night out and the motorway is seen but never heard.

The room was spacious and very comfortable. Best of all this hotel offered great rates that compare very well to Dublin City Centre accommodation

Good but not four star

by TripAdvisor Member Dublinfamily

Just back from 2 night stay at Johnstown. The hotel was nice. Staff were very friendly, going out of their way to say hello each time we passed. However the positive attitude of staff was abit overpowering at dinner, we had just taken our first bite from the fork when a staff member asked if we were enjoying the meal! Have to agree with other reviews regarding the trays and glasses littering the corridors at 5pm. It doesn't take much effort to pick up bottles, glasses etc., when passing by. It seemed the staff had clearly defined roles and don't take on any other responsibilities or use their initiative. Plenty of staff around the corridors but still lots of litter! The rooms were boiling hot, so much so, the first nights sleep was non-existent, complained and got a fan.For a four star hotel I was disappointed with the buffet style breakfast; although there was plenty of choice it wasn't straight from the pan and suffered from being left on hot plates. We have stayed in many 3* hotels and have had far superior breakfasts served to our table and piping hot.
Overall the break was good but the little niggly bits above would put me off going again especially when you believe it's going to be a 4* experience.

New Year's eve stay - very relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member cardigan24

This is the second time we have stayed in this hotel and once again we have found it to be a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere. The staff are very nice and polite - Wolfgang on reception is particularly nice. We asked for a quiet room and were given a room overlooking the apartments which was perfect. There was a gala ball on that night, which we were not attending, and it did not intrude at all on guests who were not in attendance - the function room is well located away from the bedrooms thus allowing everyone to have a restful night.

The room was a bit hot, I will agree with the other poster and the windows don't open very wide. The restaurant has no atmosphere at all, it's just too quiet but it's adequate.

Overall I would visit this hotel again.

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member docajenk

Excellent in all respects. The rooms are really comfortable and nicely furnished. All public areas are of a very high standard. Service very attentive at all times. The swimming pool and spa is excellent. My only small criticism is that the restaurant is quite expensive and the bar menu is limited, however there are some very good pubs a short drive away (about 5 mins). The location is next to a dual carriageway, but that was certainly not an issue. After reading the other comments re this hotel, things have certainly improved.

Beautiful.............

by TripAdvisor Member tryanythingonce

This is a spa resort hotel, a destination in itself. There isn't too much around, but as a country house hotel, this won't disappoint.

The service from the staff is really exemplary - Marriott standards and beyond. I have always been impressed by the friendly, service oriented nature of Ireland, and this hotel has some really great staff, who go out of their way to be helpful, courteous and kind. I was running a meeting in the hotel and each step, from booking to leaving was handled with exemplary efficiency.

The rooms are large, comfortable and well decorated with new, large and luxurious bathrooms. The only downsides were an unstocked mini bar, no ice machines and the separate shower didn't drain fast enough.

The spa area is great - wonderful pool, jacuzzi and saunas. Although I didn't have any treatments, my colleague had a pedicure (1 hour €55) and was blissed out by the experience.

The catering is good, if a little uninspired. For a hotel which has such great qualities in other areas, a great menu in the main restaurant would move it from excellent to sublime. As there is not much choice in walking distnace and as this is a destination hotel, they would really benefit from a destination restaurant.

Overall, a very positive experience and I will definately go back for a chilled out spa weekend.

overall great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Elmwoodone

just back from a two day break at the marriot johnstown house.
This is a beautiful hotel with very well laid out bar and lobby area. The rooms were spotless ,and the staff could not have been more proffessional. The leisure centre is very nice and you have free access to pool steam rooms and outdoor hot tub. The only small gripe is the selection in the resteraunt for dinner was very limited and expensive for what was presented , also room service 28 euro for 2 sambos! However the breakfast on both mornings was excellent. The bar had a tv on constantly , not my cup of tea. In fairness there was a guy playing the piano in the lobby on both nights which was really enjoyable.The Hotel is on its own grounds but only a short walk to enfield village. I would definitely recommend the marriot in johnstown. staff could not have been nicer.

Loved the SPA

by TripAdvisor Member Lollipop1975

Stayed for 2 nights. We had a meal in the Pavillion restaurant the first night and I have to say it was lovely. A really nice atmosphere both myself and husband were delighted with service. Food was really good....

The Spa was probably the best I have been to yet. I just loved it the staff were so professional. I booked all treatments a week ahead do not leave it till you arrive at hotel..

The Pool was lovely and the facilities like steam room, sauna, hot tub etc were fab...

Breakfast was very good you could order pancakes, omlettes, or choose a grill, fruit etc it really was a good selection. Only downside was tables were very close to one another you could hear everyones conversation. First thing in the morning I am grumpy and did not like the closeness. Maybe thats just me though.. One thing to note is coffee... You know when you get a coffee in a hotel in a little cup and if like an addict like me it lasts 5 secs, Well the Marriot gives a fine pot just for you - you get about 4 cups.

Bedrooms were lovely bed was amazing the only snag was the sink, the water took ages to go down...

I will be back again I loved the Spa and Pool. The bar is quiet but it is a relaxing hotel - just think of waking up to a lovely breakfast, reading papers in fab surroundings of comfy sofas and relaxing in Spa and Pool.....

Cannot wait to go back

Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MeathJohn

My wife and I stayed on a one night break package, with spa treatments and champagne and strawberries, we loved every minute. On check in the staff are very friendly and helpful, our room was furnished beautifully, tv, cd and radio, armchairs, loads of pillows. The spa is well worth a visit, staff are very friendly, well laid out, very relaxing. The meal was lovely, big enough portions for a hotel. The outside garden is lovely, some nice short walks. The hotel is out in the country so you can't walk to the nearest town or pub. Hotel bar is very nice. Breakfast was the usual huge self service buffet which was great. A great stay, ideal for a relaxing spa break, the only fault was that on check out the staff were not very friendly, they barely recognised us to be honest!

Johnstown Marriott and Spa

by NewMike

I will be staying at this hotel and then traveling to Dublin City university. Anything I should know about this hotel? How far is it exactly driving from Ensfield to Dublin

by mar12345

Aie! Enfield is quite far! you're probably 50 minutes to 1 hour from Dublin (more if you need to travel during rush hour...)
Will you hire a car?

by mar12345

Oups, just read your previous post, if you're an employee of Marriott, try go to the Shelbourne Hotel if you can, it's a magnificient historical building right in the centre of the city, it has just reopened this year after renovations... couldn't do better than that!
Nothing against Enfield, but it's not ideal if you have to travel to dublin... unless you take this opportunity to visit Co. Meath, which is really nice... up to you!

by NewMike

I was at the Shelbourne, but they are going to be busy, so they suggested I look somewhere else. If I have to , I will stay at Dublin City University in the dormitory. However I was looking for a cheaper alternative.

by TravellingWill

If you are going by car Enfield is a camel ride from DCU especially as you have to travel the M50 or go through town. Try the new Marriott in Ashbourne . Its closer and a straight run into DCU.
The Marriott Johnstown house is a nice hotel but other than a good spa their is nothing much else in Enfieild . If you do get stuck in Enfield, look at taking the train in and out of Dublin . Google "CIE" or "Irish Rail"

Comments