Litton Lane Hostel

suvanki's Profile Photo

Friendly Hostel with musical emphasis

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 24, 2011

I booked this hostel through www.venere.com for its price, location and especially as it was previously a recording/rehearsal studio for some of Dublins best known artists, including U2 and Van Morrison etc.

I paid 34.20 Euros (30.14 GBP) for 2 nights in an 8 bedded dorm, with breakfast included (cereals/toast/jam/coffee/tea/Hot Chocolate) Breakfast served 08.00 - 10.00.

Kitchen closes at 23.00 hours. Plenty of crockery/cutlery. Hobs/toasters/fridges and freezer etc. Washing up liquid provided.

Free Wi Fi/internet - password on Printed pass.
Towel rental 5 Euro deposit
Key card 1 Euro deposit - For room and ladies bathroom.
Left luggage room
Locked room behind reception for valuables.
Free tours/bar crawls.
Lots of Tourist info and knowledgeable, friendly helpful staff.

Buzzer/intercom for access. Printed pass to be carried at all times.
No Smoking - Smoking area on street outside

Well I was really pleased that I chose this hostel, and will certainly stay here again.

I arrived early for check-in , but this wasn't a problem - I was expected, and my bed was ready.
When I booked, I was offered an 8 bedded mixed dorm, I requested female only dorm if possible, and this was altered within a few minutes and confirmed.
Check in after 14.00 Check out upto 10.30

Cash/Mastercard/Visa

My room was on the 2nd floor - staircases-no lift/elevator. It wasn't too difficult, especially as I had Phil Lynott to spurr me on my way - (well his image anyway) (pic 2) Sinead O'Connor, Bono and others led the way to Dorm 24.

The dorm was basic - 4 bunk beds-duvets and pillow, hanging/storage area for coats etc. 3 pin sockets, large mirror on back of the door. 1 single light. It was warm and comfortable enough for a few nights.

This dorm overlooked the street, but this is off the main drag. Some noise when pubs/clubs turning out, but didn't bother me too much - well Friday was Good Friday, so no bars open - so it was unusually quiet!

I unpacked then went for a reccy/nosy!

Female Bathroom - keycard access only - 2 showers, 2 wc's and 2 wash basins. Complimentary hand wash.

Large comfortable lounge with comfy settees, Internet, TV/DVD - DVD's for rental. Well stocked tourist info leaflets/ guide books etc.
Colourful wall murals and posters - I particularly liked the VIP Lounge painting, with Philo, U2 - well Bono and The Edge, Van Morrison,Christy Moore, Bob Geldoff and Sinead O'Connor imortalised. The ceiling is covered with metallic 'discs'

Well equipped kitchen, and dining area with tables and chairs. Vending machines for Hot/cold drinks, snacks, sweets etc.

A mix of age ranges (I wasn't the oldest!), singles/groups of friends/couples.

Dorms are 8 and 10 bedded. Twins and Doubles - also self contained apartments available.

Unique Quality: Up until the late 1990's this was Litton Lane Rehearsal & Recording Studios. Musicians/singers from Dublin, and Ireland who graced this building on their way to fame and fortune included U2, Van Morrison, Sinead O' Connor, The Chieftains, Virgin Prunes, My Bloody Valentine, Johnny Logan and Clannad.

Artistes from further afield included Sheffield's Def Leppard (although some members are Now based in and around Dublin) who recorded their Hysteria Album here.

Pay and Play ... musicians are encouraged to 'sing/play for their supper' apparently, there are regular musical sessions in the lounge/common room.

Great location - Handy for all the main sights/Airport bus stops/Hop On - Hop off Buses etc.

Friendly, helpful staff who offered advise on places to see, such as a local Market. Also, when I had a very early departure, rather than disturb the other occupants of my dorm, plus inconvenience of trying to dress/pack in the dark, I decided to stop up in the lounge. The chap on 'night watch ' made me a cup of coffee and offered to wake me up if I wanted to sleep.

Friendly staff, with plenty of local knowledge. I was recommended to visit some of the markets-Food market in Temple Bar (Saturday) and a nearby market for young fashion designers, where you can pick up clothes and accessories etc that you won't find in the shops- and one of these stall holders could be the next Vivienne Westwood!!

I'd certainly stay here again, and would recommend to anyone wanting a safe, cheap place to stay. Yes, it's a bit shabby in places and the floorboards creak louder than my knees, but the friendly atmosphere more than makes up for this.

I doubt if I'd ever be able to afford to stay at The Clarence (The hotel across the Liffey, owned by Bono and The Edge), so this connection with Dublins musical elite made it very special for me....

Directions: From O'Connell Street facing O'Connell Bridge, turn Right into Bachelors walk. After Arlington Hotel, turn Right into Litton Lane -Hostel on Left hand side.

Cheap Hostel in Dublin

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 16, 2008

We have enjoyed to stay there. It is one of the cheapest hostel in Dublin and we could cook in the shared kitchen. We have just to cross the river to go to Temple Bar

The staff is nice and available.

Unique Quality: + Nice staff : reception is opened 24h/24h
+ Self catering kitchen
+ Located in the town Center
+ Car park available 24h/24h for 8€/nigth
+ Very clean

- Noisy
- shared bathroom and toilets

pozdi's Profile Photo

One of the best Hostel I've ever been

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 6, 2005

I've spent 5 nights in that hostel in a double room, but it was rally more than a simple hostel. The room looks like a 3 * hotel room and the staff is really helpfull and nice.

Unique Quality: It is in the centre. The location is great. Very clean and tidy.

Nearby Litton Lane Hostel

6 Photos of Litton Lane Hostel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Litton Lane Hostel

• Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Dublin Travel Forum

Need advice about Dublin, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Dublin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Dublin hotel reviews

Themed Pubs
Dun Laoghaire
Elephant & Castle
Restaurants
General Comments
Favorites
Butlers Chocolate Cafe