Dublin Hotels

• SabrinaSummerville profile photo SabrinaSummerville
  • Reviews: 720

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Berkeley Court Hotel: Change of Name

NB. This hotel has changed its name to D4 Ballsbridge Court Hotel and is far from the gleaming five star gem it once was - nor does it pretend to be!

Read on in my tip on this hotel under its new name.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Seniors
  • Written June 15, 2008

• denis&susan profile photo denis&susan
  • Reviews: 5

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Castle Lodge B&B: A Little Gem!

Spent just one night here but we were really happy with the place. Well located between Malahide village and the castle and 5mins. to the train station. Friendly staff, clean rooms and a great shower. 45 Euros PPS.

• Related to: Trains, Family Travel, Castles and Palaces
  • Written June 12, 2008

• lbhspatriot profile photo lbhspatriot
  • Reviews: 167

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Marian Guesthouse: Budget Accommodation in a Great Location!

This Guesthouse is owned by a married couple and is combined of two Georgian houses in the proximity of O'Connells Street. Upper Gardiner street is supposed to be located in a deprived area but it is no shanty town!
The accommodation itself is a bit shabby, but very clean and a bargain. The meals where nice, with a variety to choose from (a cook was taking orders while we were seated in a large dining area), the rooms were ok - the paint needed some refreshening and the bed was a bit unstable, but it was clean, and despite my first impression I enjoyed my stay in there. You have to make sure to keep it tidy yourself though as there is no cleaning while you are checked in (but if you need fresh towels or anything be sure to ask the owners!).

I found thin Guesthouse online while I was looking or budget accommodation to stay in Dublin for Easter. The most important factors was its price and location, fairly cheap - 40 euros pp for an esuite, and in central Dublin right next to Mountjoy Square and only 15 minutes walk from the Spire at O'Connells!
Also the owners where quite nice (a nice suprise since they were a bit drunk during our checking in), they even let us leave our luggage when we check out at 11 am and let us take it in the evening when we were heading to the airport.
Overall I would say - if you can't afford a hotel in the city centre, try out Marian Guesthouse.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 4, 2008

• Turska profile photo Turska
  • Reviews: 769

Royal Dublin Hotel: Simple and clean

I wouln´t like to pay 222 euros per night for this,as they say for the price in their homepage.But we paid 69 euros,(by Bookings)and for that price in Dublin it was o.k.There was no breakfast included,but we didn´t mind,since it would have been Irish breakfast-we couldnt eat it anyway..We ate for breakfast bagels in near Bagelfactory,it was good and cheap.
If you get this in good price,I would recomend it.And it´s in good place,in O´Connel street

It seemed like bathroom has just been renovated.We were little supriced,that they didn´t have a minibar,so we couldn´t put anythig in cool place.Luckily it was winter.

• Written March 22, 2008
Tip Photo

• scanos profile photo scanos
  • Reviews: 83

Howth: Dublin Accomodation

Cheap decent rooms in Dublin are quite hard to come by. There are a number of cheap Bed and Breakfasts around Talbot Street,Lower Gardiner Street and Store Street. The North Star Hotel in nearby Amiens Street is more upmarket and has deals sometimes like 2 Nights Bed & Full Irish Breakfast and 1 Table d'hote Dinner From 99 Euro per person sharing Available Midweek Sunday to Thursday. My own preference would be to stay somewhere like Howth which can be easily accessed from the centre by DART (Dublin Metro) and bus. See http://www.dublintourist.com/directory/accommodation/bed_and_breakfast/north_county/howth/ The prices are lower in Howth and the views are magnificent.

• Related to: Singles, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Trains
  • Written March 17, 2008

• EPoodle profile photo EPoodle
  • Reviews: 43
Daft.ie: Site for Short/Long-Term Accomodation

If you want to stay in an apartment which is usually cheaper than hotels, look on the site that lists lots of apartments for shor-term.

On the same site, you can find long term accomodation, as well.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written October 15, 2007

• cpiers47 profile photo cpiers47
  • Reviews: 140

Molesworth Court Apartments: Traveler's Heaven

My friend booked the Dublin leg of our trip and veered from the b&b's that had served us well in Connemara to Molesworth Court - a slightly posh apartment rental. The apartments are in a building with a courtyard and are on a quiet street to begin with. The housekeeper brought us milk and orange juice upon our arrival, which we placed in our extrememly well-outfitted kitchen.

The rooms were clean, bright and well-furnished - our apartment had a bedroom, living/dining, kitchen and bathroom. We were only staying for a night but could have easily settled in for much longer.

After a week of traveling with backpacks, our total fascination was with the clothes washer/dryer combo. Maybe I am way behind, but the fact that those two things could be done with one load in one machine is amazing! It was, however, smarter than we were. After much button-pushing and consternation (tempered with our undying love of clean clothes), we were treated to washed and dried clothes.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written September 28, 2007

• seoulgirl profile photo seoulgirl
  • Reviews: 255

The Shieling Hotel: A Good Deal

We stayed at this hotel because it was cheap and it had a pub with a band. But...there was no band on the nights we were there. They didn't have food either except breakfast. There was a bus that stopped right in front of the hotel and took you to Dublin in 25 mins. So, you get to see the outskirts and other burroughs on the way in to Dublin. There were some nice restaurants and pubs within a 10 min. walk. The train was there also.

We did take the bus to the beach one day but missed the stop so we didn't get off. Doh! It was a small little town there, not much going on at that time it looked like. The hotel is right by the water. You don't even know it until you get on the bus and lo and behold, water.

Quiet. The floor was slanted so don't put your tea on the nightstand! Ha ha. It's a nice enough place for 50 euro. No outstanding qualities though.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written August 9, 2007

The Great Shielinghotel

• Pieter11 profile photo Pieter11
  • Reviews: 1236

Couchsurfing: Dublin for free

One of the main reasons why a trip to Dublin is attractive, is the fact that the flights are so extremely cheap. But what is the use of a cheap flight when you still need to stay in a € 80,- hotel for some nights? A better way to do this, is to stay in the capital without paying a single penny for it!

In 2006 I discovered a website called www.couchsurfing.com. This webcommunity has several tens of thousands of members who all offer a place to sleep for free for other members: you are offering a place to sleep in case someone asks you, and the other members are willing to welcome you if you ask to. No matter where you are looking for a place to sleep, you will always find some couchsurfers around. And so in Dublin you'll also find a lot of them.

In Dublin I stayed with a very friendly host who took us out for dinner, and according to the Irish tradition, into to pub. He cooked us an Irish breakfast and a typically Irish dinner and he really made us feel like home.

And at the end of the trip, my two nights on the capital costed me: € 0,00!

A unique way to get to know the real Irish people. You are welcomed not only in their houses, but in their lifes! And of course this is a perfect way to make a great trip extremely cheap.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written July 3, 2007
Tip Photo

Breakfast at my host's place

• Kushelkitten profile photo Kushelkitten
  • Reviews: 229

Parkway Bed and Breakfast: Inexpensive, neat, comfortable

Parkway Bed and Breakfast is located within walking distance to all the major Dublin attractions and pretty much nextdoor to Belvedere College. And it is easy to reach by both the AirLink Bus from the airport and Connelly Station. The rooms are comfortable and clean for a pretty good price. A single without a bath is €48 a night. This is the type of room I took and the bathroom and shower were just right outside my door. For a bit more one can get a room with ensuite bath.

Breakfast is very good. They serve a full Irish breakfast which in this case is your choice of scrambled or fried eggs, sausage or bacon, and coffee or tea. Or you can choose a lighter meal of cereal or toast. I dont normally like eggs but tried the scrambled and they were really delicious. I should have asked how they do them.

While everything was neat the rooms could have been a bit cleaner. I dont know if the maid didnt realize but there was a small gap in my wall where the pipes came up to the sink in the room. It was close to the floor and a small trash can stood in that space. It appeared that whenever someone threw something away it would miss the can and down the hole. I think that was my one disappointment. I did mention it to the lady in charge and she said she would take care of it.

Oh and if you chose to not have an ensuite bath, of course you have to share the shower with others. Makes sense. The light in the shower is on a timer and the switch is outside of the shower room in the hallway. That means you have to hit the switch and be quick. No dawdling or daydreaming. Ten minutes is enough time though so dont worry about being caught in the dark.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Singles, Historical Travel
  • Written May 10, 2007

Parkway B&B Gardiner Place Dublin

• Travellingismylife profile photo Travellingismylife
  • Reviews: 24

Flats & houses: For a long stay in Dublin

I stayed a couple of months in Dublin, so I had to find a flat and pay a rent. There are various ways to find one.

1) I strongly suggest the website www.daft.ie.
Click on 'Sharing' or 'Lettings'. You can choose the neighborhood you want to live. The closest you are from the city centre, higher the prices are. If you don't have a lot of money (it was my case) I suggest you share an apartment with people; you will pay less and it's much more fun. There are a lot of strangers in Dublin, so you will probably stay with Italians, Spanish, Polish or French people :-) It's an awesome opportunity. On this website, people put new ads every day so check it often.

2) Check out the board at USIT, an Irish travel agency (19/21 Aston Quay, Dublin 2). There are a lot of ads for flats, especially if you want to share. New ads every day also.

3) You can have a look at the classifieds in the different newspapers; The Irish Independant, The Irish Times, etc. and their websites.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Work Abroad
  • Written January 17, 2007

• stehanover profile photo stehanover
  • Reviews: 4

Bed and Breakfast: Lower Gardiner street

i've been to Dublin three times and ever time i've stopped in a B & B in lower gardiner street.
The price is usually about 30-35 euro a night.
Lower Gardiner street is close to O'Connell street which leads up to the liffey River

Lower Gardiner street is close to the city centre and is one of the cheaper places to stay if your in the city for a few days. Dublin can be reached on the Dart which is Dublins train service from the ferry ports in dublin and Dun Laoghaire.
Although i got a bus from Dublins ferry port for a few euros which takes you straight into the city centre.

• Written July 4, 2006

• josephescu profile photo josephescu
  • Reviews: 882

Longfields Hotel: Rather choose a small hotel

Central location, within walking distance from Temple Bar and shopping street.
Small cousy rooms, stilish. And.....breakfast was cooked and served by Romanians.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written June 11, 2006
Tip Photo

my hotel room, no view though

• Bilimari profile photo Bilimari
  • Reviews: 208

The Townhouse: Lafcadio Hearn's House

The Townhouse is a nice B&B in 1978 Georgian building with elegant designer furniture. Staffs are very friendly, and the breakfast is very good.

The original Townhouses were the homes of two famous playwrights - Dion Boucicault (1829 - 1890) and Lafcadio Hearn (1850 - 1904), whose memorabilia, photographs and original playbills are displayed in the lobby. Each bedroom is named after one of their works.

Lafcadio Hearn is known as "Koizumi, Yakumo" in Japan, and just about every Japanese read his stories as growing up. Many Japanese don't even know that hi is an Irish/Greek, and not a Japanese.

In 1890, he took an assignment with the "Harper's" newspaper in US, and went to Japan, where he married a Japanese woman, took a Japanese citizenship, and Japanese name "Koizumi, Yakumo".

He wrote numbers of tales in Japanese as well as his view of Japanese people and culture ("Japan, an attempt at Interpretation"). My favorite tales is a ghost story "Mimi­Nashi Hoichi".

• Written May 22, 2006
Tip Photo

• orlikins profile photo orlikins
  • Reviews: 1189

Gardiner Street District: Gardiner Street District

OK, there are a lot of queries on the Dublin boards asking about accomodation along Gardiner Street, so I reckon time to address it here. Let me make it clear that this is just my own personal opinion about it, that's all.

Gardiner St is literally only a couple of minutes walk from O'Connell St, Connolly train station and the main bus station and the #41 bus to the airport goes along this street. Accomodation is cheap & plentiful.

So in theory, it sounds great. However, as a woman, Gardiner St is not a place where I would like to be late at night. It *can* get rough with local wannabe tough guys hanging around outside the pubs.

It is important to point out that you are NOT automatically going to get robbed or anything like that, but I do think it looks pretty intimidating if you're on your own. Even my born & bred Dublin friends from the Northside agree with me on this one, so it's not just me being a scaredy-cat. :)

Just take the standard precautions.
At the end of the day, if you just want somewhere cheap and cheerful to sleep before making your connection to the airport, bus or train stations, then by all means go for it. Just don't expect to be in four-star luxury and scenery.

Its central location.