Maldron Hotel Smithfield

Chancery Place, Smithfield Plaza (formerly Comfort Inn Smithfield), Dublin, County Dublin 7, Ireland

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo

Above average hotel, below average area

On arrival I was not total convinced by the place. It had been billed as being in an up-and-coming newly developed area of the city but from what I could see, business did not seem to be booming in the area. A few of the neighbouring plots were vacant after businesses had folded.
    After the first night staying there, my fears subsided. Although the area did not seem as desirable as I'd hoped, the hotel was very conveniently situated with a Luas link to the city, the museum and Connolly and Heuston stations only a few metres away. This meant that traversing the city proved a lot easier and gave me more time to enjoy the stay, rather than worrying about finding my way back to the hotel.
    The reception and service staff were very welcoming and helpful and the room was clean and just what you would expect. Add to that a good breakfast and the hotel served my needs perfectly. So while the neighbourhood was a little rough, the hotel more than made up for it.

Directions: The Luas stops just a hundred metres or so away.

• New name, same great hotel!

Last stayed under previous ownership......... pleased to find that standards are maintained and we greatly enjoyed our stay. We were dealt with by friendly staff (recognised one guy from last stay!) and upgraded to a full suit, with balcony. Not bad, given competitive day rate!!
    Everything is clean & well maintained, we enjoyed breakfast choice which is regularly replenished, again by attentive staff.
    It is a 10-minute walk into busier parts of town but that's a small price for the nice hotel, we felt.

• leplaya's Profile Photo

Nice hotel close to the city center

This is a brand new hotel located in Smithfield square, just across from the Jameson Distillary. Smithfield square doesn't look like that nice of a place, but the major reason for it is that it is under a lot of construction. There are many new buildings that have been built (including this hotel). The area felt pretty safe (though over the summer, it is daylight until pretty late, so I can't say what the area is like when it is dark out).

The building is completely new with everything state of the art. The rooms are spacious and the staff is very nice. It seems to be designed for a business hotel, but it worked fine for me.
    The only problems I had with this hotel was that there was a problem with the hot water being continuously on (but this was fixed) and the balcony door wouldn't close (this was fixed also).

I was able to find a stay two nights and get the third night free deal on-line. That definately made it an affordible place to stay. I don't know how long this promotion will last though.

Don't use their advertised phone service - a 3 minute call to the US cost me $35!

Unique Quality: Each room has a satellite TV, DVD player, and tea facilities, but my two favorite aspects of the rooms were the free highspeed internet access in each room and balcony overlooking Smithfield Square (granted Smithfield Square isn't much to look at, but it's nice nonetheless). Also, there is a grocery store just below the hotel.

Directions: It is located just a few blocks north of the Liffey, across from Chirst Church. It is about a 10 min walk to Temple Bar.

More about Maldron Hotel Smithfield

The Comfort Inn Smithfield Dublin

by TripAdvisor Member eve6106

1st class hotel, very clean, staff friendly, food excellent.
Near city centre, about 15mins stroll. Tram stop near by.
Ab Fab.

Top Class

by TripAdvisor Member KateKillarney

I stayed at the Comfort Inn, Smithfield, Dublin on a Sunday night. The Hotel was full. We received a lovely room on arrival which was spotless, bright and airy. The standards were very high.
All staff were extremely pleasant and courteous and did everything in their power to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable.
Breakfast in the morning was most enjoyable. We had both full irish and continental to choose from. A pleasant suprise was the choice. Full Irish or the more Continental route of cheeses, fruit and cold meats. The staff in the Restaurant were very efficient and helpful.
Location for a city centre hotel was perfect with the Luas just two minutes walk and a five minute train trip to the city centre.
I will look forward to returning to the Comfort Inn, Smithfield, Dublin.

A peaceful rest after the pubs! Great location, great hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member NJ girl in the UK

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Smithfield for two nights in March 2007. For those Americans familiar with the "Comfort Inn" chain...this is NOT the same!!! I mean, it's owned by the same company, but this is NOT your grandmother's Myrtle Beach Comfort Inn, if you know what I mean.

This is a classy, boutique-esque hotel in the up-and-coming Smithfield section of Dublin. The room was immaculate and beautifully appointed. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Some rooms have balconies --while it was too cold to enjoy ours, it's worth it to ask for one as it is a nice touch.

Smithfield is about a 10-15 minute walk from Temple Bar (to the east), a 10-15 minutes from Guinness (to the southwest), and across the courtyard from Jameson's! It's far enough away from the true city centre that there is no noise. There is an excellent fresh market next door (pastries, paninis, fruit...sort of like a Whole Foods).

I think we paid 95 Euros per night. Highly recommended --will definitely stay there again when next in Dublin.

Top class hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Eiremaster

Brilliant Hotel. Very modern decor. Spotless. Great location just off the luas line. Cant say enough good things about the place. Top floor rooms with balconies overlooking the city are class. And the prices are very good considering its location in the city centre.

cant get any better

by TripAdvisor Member Codfillett

Stayed at the Smithfield for 3 nights in March 07. Very reasonably priced. Two couples, two rooms. Both rooms spotlessly clean, beds and towels changed every day. Staff were very friendly, hotel very quite and peacefull.
Smithfields is a little out of the city center, but to walk to Temple Bar takes about 20 minutes along well illuminated and safe streets. If you cant face the walk, try the light rail service. Stops virtually outside the Hotel, costs about 70p each way.
Would definatley recommend this hotel and would certainly go back myself.
The price you pay is per room, and most rooms have a double and seperate single bed.

Great Accomodation

by TripAdvisor Member Channon

We originally booked for early March but due to illness had to cancel and rebook for 4 weeks later. Absolutely no problem and were able to do so at no extra cost. No deposit required-very unusual.
At arrival we were asked for a print of our credit card for the sum of the 3 nights + 150 Euros. This "ticket" not processed but held till we booked out when a correct amount was taken form a new swipe of my credit card. I understand why the hotel does this but it did make me feel a little uneasy .
This is a new hotel in a previously run down area of Dublin. We booked a room which had 2 double beds and sitting area. Free internet access available if needed. We were on the 6th floor and paid 168 Euros per room per night B & B. There was a balcony and large floor to ceiling windows which gave views over the houses (although we also had views of a couple of large cranes due to the redevelopment that was going on)
Hotel was very clean and beds were firm and very comfortable.
Good bath but watch the shower. It is best to turn it on from outside the bath to avoid the initial cold water.
There is a large "plaza" outside the hotel and we found it easy to get a cab though the tram is nearby if preferred. Could have walked into the Centre but we preferred the cab. One or two cabbies had a bit of trouble locating the one way system to the hotel
Excellent supermarket next door called "Fresh"
Breakfast was not brilliant. The hot food was from containers & therefore not freshly cooked and had a small choice of 2 types of egg,bacon and potatoes. Small selection of cereals yoghurt and fruit and make your own toast.
Surprisingly we were not greeted into the restaurant area and we had to ask the waitress for coffees/tea-usually we find we are asked what we need as soon as we walk in. Also had to sign a ticket showing the price of breakfast (7 Euros each) even though included in our room rate-we were assured it would not be charged again-and it wasn't

We were very satisfied with the hotel and would certainly rebook when we go back to Dublin

As far as Dublin was concerned it was very busy and we had some trouble booking a table for evening meals even though this included a Wednesday &Thursday . Maybe we were unlucky but the 3 restaurants we used were very very noisy-perhaps too much Guinness being consumed!

Thoroughly recommended

Very good value

by TripAdvisor Member Ulick

Nice new hotel, with stylish and modern décor, and spotless clean rooms, as previous reviews said. Not in very centre, but good located nevertheless.

The hotel is in a large and quiet square, just off the Luas (tramway) station of Smithfield, and 15 minutes walking to Temple Bar. The area was a little depressed (as there are some in Dublin) but it is being renewed with modern buildings.

Rooms include tv with dvd player, hair dryer, coffee maker, table, and ironing board. Ours had also a nice balconie. You have internet connection for laptops in the room, but there are not free computer or internet facilities. You get free newspapers.

Breakfast perhaps not brilliant but more than fair for 5 euros. In any case, next door you will find a cosmopolitan supermarket with great product assortment, which closes late.

I am usually demanding and picky (as you can see on my pasts reviews) and I must say that I am satisfied with this hotel and certainly recommend it.

The only thing I missed was a swimming pool. But in that case, the price would be higher.

Note: From the airport you can take the route 747 or 16a to O’connell St, and then the Luas to Smithfield. But to my view, the best option is to buy a 1-day card for 6.50 euros, which includes the express “air-link” coach to the city centre, and also the Luas. (Only the airlink one way ticket is 6 euros, and after arrival, you can use the card the rest of the day in Luas or buses)

Hotel help for my stay in Dublin

by curtis0916

I am currently considering the Holiday Inn Dublin Centre, the Comfort Inn Granby Row, and the Comfort Inn Smithfield. I will only be in Dublin for a couple of days and would like a location that is easy to get to from the airport, is conveniently located to the main tourist attractions, etc..., and is near public transportation.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

by sn0ball

All of those hotels meet your prerequisites. Just pick the cheapest one!

by curtis0916

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated!!!!

by welys

Hi Curtis

I think the Comfort Inn in Smithfield might be the closest to the centre of Dublin and tourist attractions. Smithfield is on the quays a short walk from the main street (O'Connell St), the Ha'apenny Bridge etc.

The Holiday Inn is in the Pearse St area which isn't particularly pretty although it isn't very far from the centre of Dublin.

The Comfort Inn on Granby Row is near Dorset Street / Parnell Square. Again, it's not far from the centre but it's in a slightly more "backstreet" area of Dublin which may not suit fussier tastes.

All are central and I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems in any of them, but I'd choose Smithfield myself.

by curtis0916

Thanks for all the help, it is really helpful as I have no idea about the layout of Dublin and I appreciate help from those who do.

by stevefrancyclancy

I live in smithfield, Comfort in is a nice hotel 15mins walk from main city centre street and on the luas line. Also in smithfield you have the park hotel which is just as nice and often has very good deals.

by stevefrancyclancy

Sorry should have clarified Luas is our Tram system and runs from ther to city center if you dont wnat to walk. smithfield is also just beside the national musuem, which is free and worth a look.

Comments