3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

3* hotel in Ballsbridge

I would have preferred to stay slightly closer to the center but we had a package deal with Aer Lingus and had to pick the car up upon arrival even though we were staying in Dublin for a couple of days and didn't need it. Several people suggested Ballsbridge as it was close enough to the center to walk, about 15 minutes to St. Stephens Green and another 5 minutes or so to Grafton Street, and many of the hotels had free parking and it wouldn't require us driving through Dublin to get there. That last part turned out not to be really true as the lovely folks from Dan Dooley sent us on a route straight thru the heart of central Dublin during rush hour no less.

When we arrived at the hotel the parking lot was full so we parked on the street but that wasn't a good solution as the time limit was 3 hours and it was €2 per hour, fortunately a spot opened up a short time later and we parked our car in their lot and left it there until we were ready to leave. The parking situation was a frequent complaint on the reviews I saw, if it's a weekend its not an issue as the meters are only in effect Monday-Friday until 6:30pm.

Booked through Expedia for $75US per night, it was slightly cheaper than booking directly with the hotel.

Unique Quality: We arrived around 10:30 or 11am and let had a room ready for us, the room was satifactory for our 2 day stay in Dublin. There was a queen bed and a twin bed, the bed was OK. The room amenities included coffee and tea service, a small TV and a hair dryer.

The bathroom had a shower and tub, the water pressure and temperature was fine. The toiletries were bar soap and a bath gel/shampoo combo which I didn't use.

There were two computers in the lobby that you could use to check your email etc for no extra charge, the desk staff has to log you in.

There's a Tesco and Spar within a couple of blocks for groceries, a couple of coffee shops, Milano for pizza/Italian, Beshoff Bros for fish and chips.

Directions: Just west of Baggot Street in Ballsbridge

More about Mespil Hotel

Good Dublin Hotel

by andriane5 about Mespil Hotel

We really struggled to decide where to stay in Dublin after reading reviews on VT, no single hotel received entirely positive feedback. We settled on the very reasonably priced Mespil, and were pleased with our choice. The room was large and clean, as was the en suite bathroom. The staff were attentive and helpful. The hotel is about 10 minutes from St Stephen's Green- this suited us fine as it was nice and quiet but not too far from the bars in the centre. No unique qualities as such but a safe choice!

Nothing special in a good location

by cenarum about Hotel Mespil

Hotel Mespil in Dublin has a quite good location (just 5 minutes walk from Airpost shuttle bus stop, some 15 minutes walk to the historical centre) and some 10 minutes to St. Stephens Green. Excellent location for nightlife adventures- Leeson street - claimed to be the nightlife centre of the Dublin is just around the corner.
On the other hand, it is like manu of others European (and maybe international) hotels- "no personality" only perfect service.
If your main need is a quite good location (but not very central) for more or less reasonable price- Mespil is for you. If you want to rememmber a nice place you stayed in- Mespil is not the right choice.

Another good fish and chip shop

by Dabs about Beshoff Bros.

After wandering around central Dublin trying to decide what to eat, we finally headed back to the Mespil Hotel where we were staying in Ballsbridge and ate a few doors down from the hotel at Beshoff Bros. I'm not sure if this place is affiliated with Beshoff Restaurant on O'Connell Street, the website for this place lists restaurants on Mespil Road where we ate and also in Howth and Clontarf. Beshoff Restaurant on O'Connell appears to have food served on real plates with real cutlery, our food was served in a takeaway container with plastic cutlery, there are tables to eat at inside. I ordered the haddock and chips (€6.95) and David had the cod and chips (€7.95), I liked the haddock much better than the cod and need to remember which I prefer the next time I head to the UK or Ireland. I didn't have Leo Burdock's on this trip so probably not fair to compare but I thought Beshoff was as good as my recollection of my meal Leo Burdock plus they have seating which is an added bonus with Irish weather. The fish was fried fresh so there was a little wait but that is much preferred to fish that's been sitting around. The fish and the chips were not at all greasy and the fish was fried perfectly.

Pizza in Ballsbridge

by Dabs about Milano

Milano is the same company as Pizza Express that you find in England, it has the same logo and a similar menu so I'm not sure why there is a different name in Ireland. There are several locations in Dublin, we ate at the one near the Mespil Hotel, where we were staying, with Anne Marie (annemariebyrne) as it was convenient to our hotel and to where we needed to be later in the evening.

We ate inside in the spacious dining room, there is also al fresco dining overlooking the Grand Canal although it's always a dicey proposition to eat outdoors in a country where the weather system could change several times during one meal! I used to really like their pizzas but the last few times I have found them to be a bit overpriced and lacking in toppings. It may vary by franchise but the last time I ate at one in London I was disappointed and although the meal was OK at this location, it's over priced and not a place I would recommend over the better options that we found for meals.

We ordered a couple of starters, calamari al forno (€6.95) and a mixed side salad (€4.95), Ok but the portion size small on the calamari, really only enough for one person. I ordered the American pizza with pepperoni on the thinner Romana crust (€14.30) and if I went again I would stick to the smaller thicker classic crust as all the larger crust seemed to do was thin out the already sparse toppings.

Dinner without drinks for the three of us was €53.55, crikey I could get three Chicago deep dish pizzas for that and be eating them for a couple of weeks!!!

Average & Affordable

by TripAdvisor Member Dan-Sandy

We stayed at the Mespil Hotel four nights in July, prior to hooking up with a Tour. We chose this hotel for the low price, plus we were meeting up with our CIE tour group here anyway. The Mespil Hotel had the best room rate on the internet, and the location was not bad.

The hotel is located outside the hustle & bustle in a quiet residential area. It is about a 20 minute walk past Georgian townhouses to Trinity College. The Grand Canal is across the street and St. Stephens Green is only a 10 minute walk. It was easy to get to the Mespil from the airport by the AirCoach, which only cost us €14 euro. A taxi would have cost €30+. I was thankful we were able to check-in early, as we arrived around 9am.

There were plenty of pubs and eateries around the corner on Baggot Street. We especially enjoyed Shepard’s Pie and Bangors & Mash at Foley’s pub. Very affordable compared to others, plus they had traditional Irish music. Toner’s pub is a great place to buy a sandwich and a Guinness. Another great lunch spot is Harry B’s pub by Trinity College. Only €5.00 for soup and sandwich and €5.50 for the Carver meal. The staff at Harry B’s were the friendliest people in Dublin, especially the lunch chief.

Breakfast at the Mespil Hotel was great. Buffet style with plenty to eat. Breakfast was included in our tour otherwise I would have considered it a bit pricey (€8-12). Dinner at the Mespil is pricey as well (starting at €19). Too expensive.

The rooms are a good size for European standards (small by U.S. standards). We had a double bed and twin bed. We had the basic amenities (tea/coffee, hair dryer, cable TV). Of course it would have been nice to have clock, dresser, refrigerator, and safe, but we didn’t. It seems that the furniture, lamps, bed were in poor condition. The lamp shade was barely hanging on, the hair dryer was broken, and the small TV didn’t work well. The hallways were dark & dreary, not to mention stuffy and hot.

The only real negative was no air conditioning. Dublin was experiencing a heat wave by Irish standards while we were there. The window only opened a crack, no breeze got in and there was no fan in the room. With the window open, I worried about noise from outside interrupting our sleep, but it was very quiet every night. It is one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed at.

Overall it was a nice stay. What is important to us is a good shower with good water pressure, comfortable bed and no odd smells – And we had that. I’d stay there again, since it’s affordable.

Good, I would go again

My wife and 20 month old son went to check out Dublin over columbus day weekend and had a good time. Mespil won't stick out in my memories as being one of my favorite hotels, but it was quiet and clean and friendly. It isn't close to the center of Dublin, but having said that, we could walk from the center of town to the hotel (passing through St Stephens Green park) in 1/2 hour. Many of the hotels in downtown get loud late at night on weekends so if you're an old fuddy-duddy or have a young child, consider the Mespil.

2 1/2 Star Accomadation in a great location.

by TripAdvisor Member courteliz

My husband and I stayed at the Mespil as part of a CIE Tour. Overall, we thought it was a pretty average hotel in a great location. It was close enough to Dublin City Centre that you could walk but quiet enough at night to get some good rest. We also ate two buffet breakfasts at the hotel and that were pretty good. The front desk was helfpul with questions and accessories, like the adapter my husband needed for his shaver.

What a disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member ayejay

Due to the expense of this hotel and it's rating I arrived expecting something nice. Talk about disappointed nothing special at all very plain and uninspiring. I don't think a 20 minute walk to the city is close.

The worst thing about this hotel is the fact that there is no airconditioning in the rooms and only a tiny window that lets in no air at all. I had the most uncomfortable night due to the fact that it is July and therefore very hot. If you want to sweat all night stay here by all means.

The night previous I stayed at Jury's Inn Parnell Street which was a very well priced hotel right in the middle of the shops no 20 minute walk and it was airconditioned what more could you want. The staff were also the most helpful and friendliest I have met so far a much better choice.

Bog-standard in Dublin

by TripAdvisor Member GavBelfast

Stayed here midweek in July 2005.

This was during a hot spell by Irish standards and the lack of air-conditioning and fresh ventilation throughout the hotel was pretty uncomfortable.

Really, it's a pretty typical, plain hotel, akin to a Jury's Inn. Breakfast was fair enough, self-service style, and ample. I didn't dine at other times.

That said, it is in a pleasant enough spot in a nice part of Dublin: nice pubs and eateries in the area, but pretty quiet too, though only about a 15 minute walk to the centre of Dublin.

Wouldn't have a problem returning here - but probably not if I really wanted to treat myself!

B&B near Upper Baggot Street

by Huentetu

I stayed near here last year and liked the area a lot. I would like to be near here again but I did not like the B&B I stayed in. Does anyone know Waterloo House or Burke's on Waterloo Road? Or can you suggest a B&B near here? thanks

RE: B&B near Upper Baggot Street

by donalh

I like the Mespil Hotel. Great location, on the canal, just off Baggot St. I know it is not a B&B but it is well located, nice and not that expensive (about €90 per couple). Check out

D

RE: RE: B&B near Upper Baggot Street

by Huentetu

Thanks Donalh. It is a little above budget but I saw the Mespil and it looked like an excellent location. I'll keep hunting anyway.

Comments