North Star Hotel Premier Club Suites Dublin

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Good Price and Good Location

I booked this 3* hotel through Booking.com, due to price and location. It is opposite Connolly Station, and 3 minutes walk to the Central Bus Station (Buras), 5 minutes to O'Connell Street etc.

Room Only - We paid 292.50 Euros for 3 nights. Breakfast is 9.95 Euros

Having read some of the reviews on this hotel, I wasn't sure if I had made the right decision - complaints of noise, shabby rooms, 'undesirables' hanging around etc. In the end we decided to stick with our reservation. I had seen on the hotels website that it was cheaper to book directly, so telephoned. The receptionist was pleasant and polite, and checked out the price, which would have been 176 Euros per night! (528 Euros!!)
    She checked my original reservation through Booking.com and confirmed we had a Premier Club room with balcony.

The hotel was just around the corner from where the airport bus dropped us off.
    Reception is on the 2nd floor by a flight of stairs - I'm not sure if there is access for mobility/breathing impaired.

The receptionist was polite, friendly and efficient, and we were checked in with no problems. Our room was on the 7th floor, reached along a corridor, with security key access to the lift/elevator area.

Well, we were quite impressed with our room - Spacious, clean, warm and comfortable.

King sized bed, wardrobe space, dressing table/desk, comfy chairs, 32" TV, Kettle with tea and coffee, hairdryer, ironing board/iron, safe.

Balcony (With views over the rail line/Connelly Station - Mountains in the distance!)

Bathroom with bath/ overhead rainforest shower, WC, Basin, towels, shower gel/shampoo/hand wash.

Our Premier Club Room also allowed us access to the Sky Lounge on the 7th Floor - Here we found bottles of still and sparkling mineral water and a selection of biscuits. Tea and coffee, Plenty of comfortable chairs and settees. Smoking is allowed on the balcony. (It's a long walk to the front door or pub beer garden for a smoke!) The Premier Suite rooms are non-Smoking (100 Euro fine to fumigate the room for anyone who does), though I did hear the receptionist asking guests that were checking in if they wanted a smoking/non smoking room.

There is a Residents lounge on the 2nd floor with a night Porters Bar.

Well, our room (767) was overlooking the railway line, so yes, there was noise from the regular DART and Commuter trains (This was one of the frequent complaints of reviews that I'd read) I hadn't brought ear plugs with me, and I am quite a light sleeper, but it didn't bother me too much - (The trains have slowed down to enter/exit the station, so aren't racing by) I'm not sure if the even numbered rooms experience any noise from the trains.

Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, but this isn't free - I couldn't understand why not!

Fitness Centre/Sauna basement - we didn't even go for a 'look-see'
    Breakfast Buffet - 9.95 Euros (Fruit, Fruit Juices, cereals and Cooked Breakfasts)- We ate at 'The Pantry', 2 minutes walk from the hotel.
    Restaurant on 2nd floor - The menu choice and prices looked reasonable, but we ate out.
    Mc Coys Bar and Lounge open to residents non-residents. As we arrived late, we enjoyed a 'drop of the Black Stuff' here in the heated beer garden. Live music/karaoke nightly.

Check in -14.00 - 00.00hrs
    Check Out 11.30-12.00

Left Luggage 3 Euros per bag.

Credit Cards - Am Ex, Visa, Euro/Mastercard.

All in All, I was pleased with this choice of accommodation, and compared to other similar hotels was good value for money. I'd stay here again if sharing a room (but would bring my ear plugs)

Unique Quality: The hotel dates back to the early 19th Century, the Georgian building was originally a Railway station (Pre-dating Connelly Station by around 40 years)
    It is mentioned in James Joyce's Ulysses Click here for part of James Joyce-Dublin walk, that visits The North Star and locality
    The architecture of the hotel is a bit quirky, and from our balcony, we could see that part of the corridor from the reception on the 2nd floor runs under the railway.
    The hotel was renovated in 2008, with the Premier Suites being formed.
    The beer Garden of Mc Coys is built into the old railway arches.

The area around the hotel isn't the most scenic, but from our balcony we could see some of the more industrial architecture.

Opposite Connelly Station, with the DART line and trains to other towns and cities of the Republic of Ireland and Belfast in Northern Ireland.

The Luas Tram (Red Line) terminates at Connelly Station.

The 747 Airport link drops off around the corner on Talbot street and picks up for the airport from outside the Central Bus Station (Buras)
    The Bus Station is busy with buses travelling to locations in Dublin and beyond.

Plenty of supermarkets, late night shops nearby(There is a licensed Spar shop just around the corner, which serves hot drinks etc to Take Away) plus cafes and pubs.

Directions: Opposite Connolly Station.

• A cheap and ok hotel

I would recommend this hotel to people who don`t sit in their hotelroom all day. The service and rooms are ok, for not a large amount of money. The minus anyway, is that the price don`t include breakfast.
    The hotel is easy to find, and the bus from the airport stops near by.

Directions: You can walk to any destination in Dublin from the hotel.

More about North Star Hotel Premier Club Suites Dublin

recommend the north star dublin

couldn't agree more my husband and two friends of ours have just returned from a 5 day break at the north star hotel and found it very good and thought it was an ideal spot to stay 10 mins walk from the famous connolly rd. very close to both bus station and the stop to get on the tram. we do recomend you use the city tours buses you can hop on and off were ever you want for the price of 13 euros each excellent value for money and the commentary well all I can say is" its the way they tell em" not to be missed.
j munkley

NOT RECOMENDED

by MaheshSamtani about HOTEL NORTH STAR - DUBLIN

This is a Dublin city hotel, very well situated just in front of the Conelly station and very near O┬┤Connel street. My family and myself had booked in to stay for 4 nights and unfortunately the experience was not very poisitive. We had 2 rooms booked. The heating system did not work, the toilet flush was constantly leaking and even after requests for repair, nothing was done. The dart train passed by near the hotel and when that happened evertything vibrated and shook, giving the feeling that it passed right through our room. The water in the shower was a very thin line of water which hardly made me feel like I ws having a shower. The service was not all that courteous. I requsted for a room change and had to face too many problems.etc., etc., Our room was on the second floor and there was no elevator, the reception is on the 1st floor and no elevator either etc., etc., They do have a renovated part and I had a chance to check one of those rooms, which did not look any better.

My experience was not good and would not recommend anybody to get here. I paid around 75 Euros for a double room and right in front of me I saw another person being demanded 90 euros for a single room, which did not give me good impression either. Yes there was something good, the concierge, a person named Kiran, a very nice and helpfull person, to try to end on a positive note. Location
Kiran - the concierge

Dublin Accomodation

by scanos about Howth

Cheap decent rooms in Dublin are quite hard to come by. There are a number of cheap Bed and Breakfasts around Talbot Street,Lower Gardiner Street and Store Street. The North Star Hotel in nearby Amiens Street is more upmarket and has deals sometimes like 2 Nights Bed & Full Irish Breakfast and 1 Table d'hote Dinner From 99 Euro per person sharing Available Midweek Sunday to Thursday. My own preference would be to stay somewhere like Howth which can be easily accessed from the centre by DART (Dublin Metro) and bus. See http://www.dublintourist.com/directory/accommodation/bed_and_breakfast/north_county/howth/ The prices are lower in Howth and the views are magnificent.

Fab place to stay!!!!

We stayed at The North Star Hotel last october.
Personally we found this hotel to be fantastic, The room we stayed in was spotless & i think it had just been decorated (Along with many others) The breakfast's are spot on & the restaraunt is also a nice place to eat. The only "grumble" i had about the place is that our room looked out on to a buliding site but hey that's development and you will find that in every major city. Fantastic place i would definitely recommend & would definitely stay there again.

Fantastic Value for money!!

Having booked a really cheap Ryanair flight from Luton and a reasonable 2 night stay at the North star Hotel, I had every right to be slightly apprehensive about going to Dublin, being a 21yr old lass going away for a couple of days with my best pal. Why did i even worry, as soon as we arrived into Dublin Airport we were advised of a bus service that dropped us right outside the North Star Hotel and it only cost us 5 Euro's for the 30 minute journey, i havent travelled on public transport for a long time however to me that was a bargain. For future reference it was the 748 it operates every 30mins to and from Dublin Airport to the North Star, very convenient and much cheaper than a cab.

When i first arrived at the North Star I was slightly put off by the Railway noise, however you only really experience this in reception. I knew to expect this having read awful reports on Trip Advisor from Clients who had rooms situated at the front of the hotel. I'd like to point out that what these people don't tell you in their reports is that this Hotel has a total of 130 rooms, 30 of which are situated at the front of the Hotel the remaining 100 towards the rear, they also fail to mention that they paid an even cheaper rate than the likes of myself and other Clients whose rooms were located at the rear. Admittedly having read these reports i emailed the hotel direct and requested a room towards the rear of the Hotel and thats exactly what i got. At the end of the day you get what you pay for as far as i'm concerned.

I found the rooms very clean, spacious and ideal for all. Being an Independant Travel Advisor I've had the oppurtunity to stay in some very upmarket properties around the world, which in all fairness makes me look for fault in any hotel i visit, quite unusual for someone of my age you may think, but you do become slightly snobby when it comes to a place to stay. However i found this Hotel ideal and ideal for all ages.

The only downfall we had with this hotel was the building site we had as a view, but to be fair we didnt even notice it was there until we opened the window and heard the work going on, the windows protected us from all the noise that the only time we got distubance was when we opened the window, which wasn't something we needed to do often with a good Air Conditioning unit we could use in our room.

The North Star is in a fab location only a few minutes walk from O'Connell Street and a 10-15 minute walk from Grafton Street and Temple Bar. Ideal for those who want to be away from all the hussle and bustle but close enough if you want it.

Overall i would say this Hotel is Clean, comfortable, extremely friendly and great value for money.

I enjoyed myself so much that i was hoping to book for New Year, unfortunately they are fully booked and so i have had to reserve a room at there sister hotel in Temple Bar. However this wont stop me from popping in and saying hi, because all the staff are so friendly and personal, the sort you know would remember you.

I hope my review helps anyone looking to stay at the North Star, the only thing i would recommend before you go is to email reception and ask for a room located at the back end of the hotel. Bearing in mind this isnt a very big hotel anyway, you should enjoy your stay.

Trina Elliott

terrible - avoid

dreadful. allocated a room which smelled like it had only been painted the day before. Asked to change and were told that the only room available was a suite at 50pppn extra. didn't have much choice but to take it. no water available on the first day of our stay, then frequently no hot water was available. first hot shower I had was on the third day of my stay!! staff not especially friendly. not worth the money - avoid.

Excellent Hotel

My Sister-in-law and I stayed at the North Star in May 2004. The staff were fantastic, the room was lovely, clean & comfortable. The location was great, the food was wonderful, with so much to choose from and the Restuarant staff were brilliant. Our stay was so nice, we're coming to Dublin again in Feb 2005 and our first choice of Hotel will be the North Star. I would recommend this Hotel to any of my family & friends who are visiting Dublin.

Don't stay here

Awful! Don't stay here unless you like a lot of noise and rooms that are in real need of updating. Despite having pre-paid for three nights over the internet we decided to check out after only one.

You could hear conversation from the street in the first room we were given and there is currently a huge construction project next to the hotel. I didn't want to wait to find out what the noise would be like in the morning so I asked to be moved, which give them their due they did promptly.

However, that night at approx 3am the woman in the room next door decided to demonstrate how thin the walls are by turning on the TV, falling asleep and snoring. I wasn't exactly happy to have to listen to Friday night with Johnathan Ross through the wall considering I'd watched the programme itself the night before! The woman wouldn't wake up despite our knocking on her door and the walls so I phoned reception. To be fair they did try and call her once and we heard her answer but that was it - back to snoring and Jonathan Ross. I called reception again and they muttered that they would do something about it again and I asked them to let me know but he was't exactly receptive. This time we heard no phone call and not at any point did anyone from the hotel knock on her door. Fifteen minutes later and nothing had happened and no call from reception to let us know what they were doing. Eventually after much hammering on the wall from us she woke and turned of the TV!

Noisy neighbours can by a pain anywhere but the incredibly thin walls plus their apparent lack of interest in our problem simply wasn't good enough.

On top of this the rooms were quite shabby and the bedspreads needed replacing. The whole look of the hotel was outdated and I imagine that maybe it once looked good but now it just looks a bit desperate. If this hotel was a bargain then I would maybe say that you could put up with the above but the fact is that it isn't a cheap! The place we moved to, the Town House was quite a bit cheaper, had great decoration and really friendly service!

pleasantly surprised.

by TripAdvisor Member m-murphy

just back from this hotel and i had a great stay there, from the outside it looks like an old irish bar but it improved when you entered. the room was a double with a single bed also the room was clean ,tea and coffee well stocked ,hardly heard any noise from dart (not enough to disturb you anyway) had one of the best roast dinners ive ever had in the hotel restaurant, bar and reception staff friendly and i wanted to bring the bed home with me it was so comfy. the buffet breakfast was exellent. my only one complaint would be that i think the hotels guest lounge resembled an old folks home (just the decor and the seats,) but all in i would visit this hotel again definately and i would recommend it to anyone.

Where to stay in Dublin?

by KendraRD

I am visiting Greystones in September. I will travel from Greystones to Dublin via the DART. I am looking for a nice hotel that is very close to the dart station in Dublin. We will have luggage in tote and need a hotel close to the DART. We will spend a few days shopping in the city before heading to the airport.I also need suggestions on the best way and cheapest to get to the airport from there.
Thanks for any help you can give,
KendraRD

by zuriga

This site will help you with the bus services to Dublin Airport. There are several companies and it's by far the cheapest way to get there.

I know there is one stop right near Trinity College.

by zone_de_guerre

For hotels use www.hostelworld.com (they do budget hotels aswell, you should see an option on the lef thand side after inputting your criteria when looking for accomodation!) or www.1800hotels.ie . There are a number of companies. The cheapest is Dublin Bus (www.dublinbus.ie) however list of routes to the city centre can be found on www.dublinairport.com .

by swansy

I would suggest that you get off the DART at Connolly station the first station on the north of the river liffey. a good reasonable hotel near there would be the North Star Hotel and good rates can be found on the RoomexHotels.com . then you only have a few hundred yards to walk to bus aras, the main bus station in Dublin, from where direct buses go to the airport. hope this helps !

Comments