O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel Dublin

starship's Profile Photo

Comfortable Hotel and Good Location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 16, 2015

Our room on the 6th floor was large enough, with comfortable beds topped with thick, white duvets. The ensuite bath was stocked with sufficient towels and toiletries and had a good shower with plenty of hot water for a wonderful shower. Although the room had too much of a bare-bones look for me, I can't really say this is a complaint. The room's furniture was rather nondescript but included a desk, a round table and chair, 2 very small bedside lamps and floor lamp all of which had a minimalist, basic style. Only the addition of purple & green blanket throws at the foot of the beds and the wooden headboard gave the room any character at all. Still, compared to a couple of rooms we stayed in later during our trip around Ireland, this room was comfortable enough and very quiet.

We didn't realize until the second night of our stay that the coffee/tea service was actually on a shelf in a portion of the closet. The flat-screen TV was appreciated when it came to watching the news. We never used the 24-hour room service, the WiFi, ironing board, trouser press, hairdryer or a few other amenities that the hotel lists as available.

In addition to the 89 rooms, and 10 suites, Stephen's Green Hotel offers a 24-hour fitness center on the 4th floor, a room called "The Georgian Library," and several meeting rooms. Each morning we met for breakfast in the glass-enclosed restaurant/Pie Dish Bistro, and afternoons gathered in the Magic Glasses Bar to talk about the day. Everyone in the group seemed quite happy with their stay at this hotel.

Unique Quality: One of the best features of this hotel was its location: maybe 100 yards or less from St. Stephen's Green park, and within walking distance of Grafton Street for shopping, and 15-20 minutes walk from the Temple Bar area -- a little further for the River Liffey, Ha'Penny Bridge, Trinity College, the Hard Rock Cafe and more.

A meet & greet dinner was scheduled for our first night at our hotel which was perfect since we were very tired and glad we didn't have to leave the hotel. O'Callaghan's Stephen's Green Hotel has two dining options as previously mentioned: "The Pie Dish Bistro," and the "Magic Glasses Bar".

After our first night at O'Callaghan's Stephens Green hotel, we had an early start once again the next morning exploring Dublin where our first stop was at the Guinness Storehouse with admission and guided tour included for our group.

Directions: The hotel is located at the corner of Harcourt St., and Grafton St. and across from St. Stephen's Green park.

BillNJ's Profile Photo

Early Check-In Was Greatly Appreciated!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 22, 2009

My flight arrived into Dublin at approximately 6 am. Unfortunately, I had no success sleeping on my flight in coach -- so I was very tired. For 8 Euros, I took the convenient Air Coach shuttle from the airport which left me within short walking distance of the hotel.

Thankfully, my room was ready -- and the friendly hotel reception allowed me to check-in early. Despite being in the heart of the city near St. Stephens Green, my room was quiet -- and, with the heavy shades drawn in, it was very dark. I had no problem sleeping from about 7:30 am to 1:00 pm after I arrived.

I had booked and paid for my room in advance with hotels.com -- and everything went very smoothly. I had a Double Room which was spacious and nicely appointed. I did not eat at the hotel (breakfast was not included in my rate), so I can't comment on the hotel's dining options.

In a nutshell, I found O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel in Dublin to be a pleasant hotel in a great location. The reception was very friendly during check-in/check-out -- and when I inquired for directions. This hotel definitely served its purposes well for my 1-night stay, and I would certainly consider staying here again if visiting Dublin.

Unique Quality: Early check-in was permitted. This convenience may have been possible because my stay was in early November -- after the busy tourist season. In any event, the early check-in allowed me to get some much-needed rest after a sleepless night on a plane in coach.

Great location -- As the name implies, the hotel is very close to the St. Stephens Green park. It is also adjacent to a LUAS (light rail) line -- and within short walking distance to Grafton Street, Trinity College, and the Temple Bar area.

In-room safe -- I think an in-room safe is a great convenience, and there was a very easy-to-use one in my room.

Swing-arm Magnification Mirror in Bathroom -- These mirrors help with shaving, so I think they are an amenity worth noting.

Coffee and Tea Making Facilities -- I didn't use them during this stay, but they are a nice amenity.

Directions: Across from the southwesterly corner of St. Stephens Green (intersection of Harcourt and Cuffe)

Jefie's Profile Photo

Nice hotel, great location!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 17, 2009

We chose to stay at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel first and foremost because of its location, and we were not disappointed. This hotel is located just a few steps away from St. Stephen's Green, within walking distance of most of the city's major attractions, in a relatively quiet and very nice area. Our room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was very helpful, always ready to answer our questions. A definite bonus was that even though we showed up 4h before the official check-in time, we were shown straight to our room - something you always appreciate after flying overnight when you want to get rid of that airplane smell! Of course, being a pretty modern-looking hotel, it doesn't have quite the charm you might find in other historic hotels or B&Bs. However, given its amazing location and very reasonable rate, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Unique Quality: There's a bar and a restaurant, but we didn't go since we were more interested in checking out the little cafes nearby.

Directions: At the corner of St. Stephen's Green

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Dublin Travel Forum

Need advice about Dublin, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Dublin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Dublin hotel reviews