O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel Dublin

O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Early Check-In Was Greatly Appreciated!

My flight arrived into Dublin at approximately 6 am. Unfortunately, I had no success sleeping on my flight in coach -- so I was very tired. For 8 Euros, I took the convenient Air Coach shuttle from the airport which left me within short walking distance of the hotel.

Thankfully, my room was ready -- and the friendly hotel reception allowed me to check-in early. Despite being in the heart of the city near St. Stephens Green, my room was quiet -- and, with the heavy shades drawn in, it was very dark. I had no problem sleeping from about 7:30 am to 1:00 pm after I arrived.

I had booked and paid for my room in advance with hotels.com -- and everything went very smoothly. I had a Double Room which was spacious and nicely appointed. I did not eat at the hotel (breakfast was not included in my rate), so I can't comment on the hotel's dining options.

In a nutshell, I found O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel in Dublin to be a pleasant hotel in a great location. The reception was very friendly during check-in/check-out -- and when I inquired for directions. This hotel definitely served its purposes well for my 1-night stay, and I would certainly consider staying here again if visiting Dublin.

Unique Quality: Early check-in was permitted. This convenience may have been possible because my stay was in early November -- after the busy tourist season. In any event, the early check-in allowed me to get some much-needed rest after a sleepless night on a plane in coach.

Great location -- As the name implies, the hotel is very close to the St. Stephens Green park. It is also adjacent to a LUAS (light rail) line -- and within short walking distance to Grafton Street, Trinity College, and the Temple Bar area.

In-room safe -- I think an in-room safe is a great convenience, and there was a very easy-to-use one in my room.

Swing-arm Magnification Mirror in Bathroom -- These mirrors help with shaving, so I think they are an amenity worth noting.

Coffee and Tea Making Facilities -- I didn't use them during this stay, but they are a nice amenity.

Directions: Across from the southwesterly corner of St. Stephens Green (intersection of Harcourt and Cuffe)

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Nice hotel, great location!

We chose to stay at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel first and foremost because of its location, and we were not disappointed. This hotel is located just a few steps away from St. Stephen's Green, within walking distance of most of the city's major attractions, in a relatively quiet and very nice area. Our room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was very helpful, always ready to answer our questions. A definite bonus was that even though we showed up 4h before the official check-in time, we were shown straight to our room - something you always appreciate after flying overnight when you want to get rid of that airplane smell! Of course, being a pretty modern-looking hotel, it doesn't have quite the charm you might find in other historic hotels or B&Bs. However, given its amazing location and very reasonable rate, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Unique Quality: There's a bar and a restaurant, but we didn't go since we were more interested in checking out the little cafes nearby.

Directions: At the corner of St. Stephen's Green

More about O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel Dublin

Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member lisa3224

I have just returned from a two night break in St Stephens Green Hotel, Dublin and was very pleasantly surprised. I had read the Tripadvisor reviews a few days before our departure and they weren't brilliant so I didn't go with high expectations.

The room was lovely, clean and quiet with tea/coffee making facilities which make a big difference in the morning! The breakfast was fabulous, waiter service with hot drinks and help yourself to the vast buffet which was everything from full English to fresh fruit including pastries, cereals etc. The staff were professional and dealt with all our requests promptly.

This was a lovely hotel within five minutes walking distance from Grafton Street (say no more) and I would definately recommend and stay here again!

nice hotel to recommend

by TripAdvisor Member Intimateescape

We got there on 21 Nov 05, and it was very loomy and quiet. They updated our room to the junior suite since it was off-season. Everything is walking distance from the hotel, good breakfast and had a very good time. I certainly recommend this hotel especialy off season. Kim

excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member firefidget

Had a lovely stay in Stephen's Green Hotel over the New year. Despite this being a very busy time, staff were friendly, efficient and couldn't have done enough for us.The hotel's location is fantastic - just a few minutes away from Grafton street, 10 minutes walk from Temple bar and within walking distance of all other major tourist and shopping areas.Despite this close proximity the hotel is very quiet and there is virtually no traffic noise from outside.
Breakfast in the hotel was very good and catered for all tastes.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to tour the sights of Dublin!

Great Hotel in Dublin

by TripAdvisor Member Kevin Wynne

Great Hotel situated just five minutes away from the madness of Grafton & Temple Bar and across the way from St Stephens Green. Very quiet.
Clean modern spacious bedrooms.
Very nice bar (with cocktails!)
Didn’t eat there mind you.
I always stay here when in Dublin - highly recommended

Very nice hotel with minor problems

This hotel is in a fabulous location, near all of the major sites, yet also very quiet.

The employees are helpful and kind, even if it did take nearly 10 minutes to check-in and check-out (I was the only one at the desk at the moment). I am accustomed to 2 minutes check-ins and -outs.

The rooms and bathrooms are nice, with all of the expected amenities, with one major exception: no refrigerator. This is a major weakness for me. The room service menu is also deficient, offering little choice.

The room could also use some painting touch-ups. Overall though, the rooms were quite satisfactory (I had a junior suite). The bed was comfortable and the shower was very good. There was both a bathtub (with shower head) and a separate shower.

Maid service was very efficient.

The bar is a comfortable place to relax. I had room service only once and it was satisfactory and on-time.

As far as I can tell, Dublin is lacking in terms of true 1st class hotels. The Stephen's Green is a nice alternative, though, and the prices are quite reasonable. I would stay there again, despite the minor problems.

Good location but lacked atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member Goughie

Stayed at St Stephens Green on a mini break to Dublin. It is ideally situated being just a few minutes walk from Grafton Street and a little further away from Temple Bar. The Hotel was pretty average and the rooms could do with some redecoration, especially the bathroom which had definitely seen better days. It reminded me of the average, businessman's hotel so not suited to a romantic break on the Emerald Isle. The bar area was pleasant but the hotel seemed to lack any atmosphere and could have been in any city anywhere in the world. The breakfast was plentiful and kept us going all day so it was worth eating here. In the evenings, we tried a couple of restaurants close by. Dandelions in St Stephens Green was good but you do need to book well in advance, especially at weekends and we particularly liked Harry's Mediterranean restaurant which was very quiet and intimate. A visit to the Guinness Storehouse is a must, if only to enjoy a pint of the black stuff in the 360 degree bar overlooking the city.

Nice hotel but no atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member from-Moray

Hotel was nice with well appointed rooms. However we felt that staff were unfriendly. Good location - handy for central Dublin. Rooms we had were noisy from generators outside window, however we did get moved to a slightly quieter room. Booking was straight forward.

A contemporary 3* hotel not 4*

by TripAdvisor Member kgrant

Must say that myself & my partner where a little disappointed with our 2 night translink railbreak stay. Hotel isnt too far from Connelly Station (about 20-30 min walk) & is in a fairly quite part of Dublin. When we arrived, first impressions where pretty good however we were soon to be disheartened. Our room was on the fifth floor & was a contemporary spacious room. However the decorating could be updated & the bed sheets had some staining & loose hairs on it!From 21st March for the next three weeks are building works on the 6th floor!Bloody nuisance, was woken up on our last day at 9.00am by drilling, hammering etc. Dublin is a great place & we enjoyed our stay alot. Would recommend the Dublin Zoo for a good day-trip, the city-tours 'hop-on/hop-off) bus (E14 per adult)which lasts for 24 hours & is a good way of gettingaround the city. Anyways back to the hotel, the breakfast was ok & is a buffet breakfast providing everything from a fry-up to cereal! The hotel maid service was good & the reception area & hotel bar are very pleasant. Overall would give this hotel a 3* modern rating rather than a 4* rating & would probably stay in the nearby Fitzwilliams 5* hotel (1 min walkaway) next time to Dublin.

November meeting & travel

by ggeronimo

Help! Planning a two-day meeting in Dublin (I am located in Philadelphia) and have been charged with also planning an evening reception for about 15-20 people. Half the group is from Dublin but I'd like to impress with a unique dinner reception as well as a possible meeting place -- any thoughts on The Clarence Hotel, The Merrion Hotel? How about Bellinter House which is in Meath? What would the traffic really be like during commuting times? Map says 45 minutes from Dublin but I'm not sure. It's been difficult finding a private dining room for this size group but all three locations might be able to accomodate us (both in terms of hotel rooms and a private dinner in their restaurant).

Any recommendations that I can give to our US attendees would be great -- nothing too touristy like Temple Bar.

Help! We head there in two weeks!

Re: November meeting & travel

by CiaranK

What date is the group due to arrive? I take it you have not booked any accommodation,is that right. At this stage you gotta make a choice to hold it in Dublin or outside of the city. Navan ( Bellinter Hse is about hour and a half travel) depending on the time of day. Traffic in and around Dublin is a nightmare almost all of the time even with M50 motorway. N3 route is for Navan out of Dublin. If the group only have 2 days, I think you would be better holding it in the city. Everything is at hand. Surely you should be able to find a hotel or restaurant that can accommodate this number. If the room is not private well that could be more fun ( so you can get to meet the locals)Merrion Hotel is 5 Star and charges accordingly. There are lots of hotels in the same area that are equally as good but cgharge less. I do not know if budget is a problem. Certainly the Merrion Hotel location on Merrion Street Upper across from Government buildings is superb.Look up sites for Stephens Green Hotel,Berkley Court Hotel,Fitzwilliam Hotel. Four seasons hotel,Ballsbridge, dublin a stones throw from city and in a really nice location may accommodate a private dining room.email me if you need any more info.Look at www.tourismireland.ie.Enjoy Ciaran

Re: November meeting & travel

by CiaranK

Further to above I suggest taking a tour of Wicklow,if you have the time full day or half day,beautiful scanery not far to travel. Hire a minibus and driver and visit Glendalough in Wicklow.
Ciaran