Paramount

Paramount Hotel Temple Bar
Expedia.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Costs 138% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• gilescorey's Profile Photo

Frayed at the edges, but still a find

The Paramount has an enviable location, just at the edge of Temple Bar. Thus, the block is somewhat free of ruinous, barking drunks, but the hotel remains at the heart of the action.

With it's wood grain finishes and black and white artwork, the hotel comes off as a bit of an Art Deco bachelor pad. It's New York in the thirties, The Chrysler Building, anti-communist propaganda material, and Ayn Rand book jacket all in one little package. Think I'm over-stating it? Just sally on over to their website and see for yourself.

I would bet this place was a real hotspot in the nineties. Well, it's certainly showing some wear and tear, but they've been around long enough that the aesthetic is now back in fashion, and my kudos to the proprietors, for that.

Unique Quality: This three star stay was far better than some four stars I've had the displeasure of paying for. Friendly helpful service, good beds, excellent included breakfast, LARGE room and free wifi. I mean sure, I hate to see nicks in a headboard or wallpaper beginning to peel at the seam just as much as the next guy. But, this was far outweighed by the pluses, and I would not hesitate to book The Paramount on future Dublin stays.

Directions: on the edge of Temple Bar, just downhill from Dublin Castle

• galat's Profile Photo

Best Location

Pros: Excellent location, friendly staff and comfortable rooms. Good rates with breakfast. (94 Euro/night).
    Simple but good menu breakfast. Own Pub.
    Cons: Good in Winter times, in Summer you will need some fresh air. The furniture little old.
    Noise in rooms facing street.

Unique Quality: Location is excellent and the Staff friendly and helpful.

Directions: Temple Bar

• Nexus7's Profile Photo

Good hotel with good location

This hotel is quite nice, but most importantly right in the middle of town. You can see the entrance to the castle from the door, and it's very much on the beginning of the temple bar. However, I rarely heard any noise late at night, mind you I was there in the weekdays. The staff is extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

Unique Quality: You must enter from the rear, the front (on Parliament Street) has just a huge sign.

Directions: It's on the western edge of the Temple Bar

More about Paramount

dont stay here!

Me and my friend stayed at the paramount hotel for 2 days last week (7th march 2005). I read lots of reviews and chose it, bad idea. It was expensive, small, dark and the reception staff were not helpfull. The rooms were very clean i can say that.

Breakfast is a joke. You eat in a horrible, cold, smelly room and you can get your own cereal which consisterd helping yourself from a huge bowl of cornflakes and musuli. The waitresses were foreign (but really nice). We were then handed a menu and it was very basic. My breakfast consisted of 2 eggs and 2 bacon and toast, Ok but no trimmings. The tea and coffee is disgusting- and I drink just about anything. This hotel had no atmosphere and a dodgy back door! We found the back door before the front and oh did we panic-it was rough.

Overall this hotel is ok if u want somewhere to sleep, not picky on breakfast, but it is way over priced

Good hotel choice for me...

I was surprised to read the previous negative review, as I stayed at this hotel the same week in March with a totally different impression. The breakfast was outstanding and the room (which doubles as a chop house and nightclub) where it was served was art deco-ish and perfectly acceptable. This hotel style is minimalist and modern, with a small lobby, but not for those seeking a homey, lace curtain Irish experience.

I originally booked for 2 nts, but stayed for 4 nts, as I was very pleased with the room and the location. The room was not large, but exceptionally clean and had pretty much everything one could need. I loved having tea and biscuit service in the room. The front desk staff was nice and helpful when asked, though more reserved than most Irish people would have been.

Close to Temple Bar, but far enough away that if you wanted to head in the other direction, there were plenty of options (Brazen Head, the Lord Edward, etc.), plus it was a relatively quiet place except for the last nt where there was a promotion in the chop house/disco downstairs.

Noisy but nice

I know Dublin reasonably well and feel able to visit without booking accommodation in advance. I went for four days with a friend and we booked into the Paramount via a Tourist Office recommendation.We were surprised on arrival that it was seemingly low profile and doesn't look impressive, however, we had a very pleasant stay and the staff were courteous and helpful. They did everything that was asked of them and the tea and coffee making facility is excellent. Also, the shower was fantastic, very hot water and good supplies of towels and toiletries. Our only complaint is that the bathroom was very, very cold although the bedroom was warm. The decor is a bit too dark and the noise from the bar below could be inconvenient. We were out late and didn't mind it too much but it may well be a problem for those who can't sleep with loud music and night life going on until the early hours. However, it is in the centre of a busy city and all in all I thought the hotel excellent value and I would certainly stay again. My friend and I are not young, we are well past our prime, we felt safe and secure at all times and give The Paramount a big cheer - well done and Thank You.

Carol Charlton and Mary Way
Visitors from London.

great location

This hotel is situated at the end of temple bar. Beds were comfy, laundry service a plus, front desk was very pleasant and helpful with everything. Only bad things I can say is that it was always noisy at night but what do you expect in the city.

You won't get any sleep here!

Don't stay here if you need to get some sleep. It is in the middle of Temple Bar, and surrounded by pubs and bars including a gay club next door, and its own Turkshead bar which unfortunately was right under neath my windows. Even closed windows couldn't block out the drunken louts wandering the streets and loud trucks which run incessantly on Parliament street. I had to cut my stay short and move to another hotel. The bar in the hotel closed down about 3;30 am..since you can't smoke in bars and food establishments, plenty people hanging about the streets outside the clubs whooping and hollering. Complaints were met with.."This is Temple Bar..what do you expect?" Lousy choice--definitely not for the business travelor. The TV had limited stations. The room was OK but not worth 121 Euro a night. Need to request irons too. The hotel staff were pleasant.

Paramount Hotel......Temple Bar Area

My wife & I stayed two nights June 8&9. We were a little worried after reading some of the reviews, but we found the hotel an excellent value for the money. We had a large room, and was very clean. The front desk were helpful, and suggested Temple Bar locations with entertainment. All temple Bar and downtown locations are walking distance. We were on the continental breakfast plan, and although there were no hot entries, there was pleanty to chose from. I suggest you forgo the toast and head for the croissants and smoked salmon.
Dano

I would not bother

by TripAdvisor Member angelcakes

I have just spent two nights in a double room at the Paramount and, unless you like noise, I wouldnt bother. It is in a fantastic location, if you like touristy "Irish" bars, theres lots of nightlife on the doorstep. I booked a double room for me and my friend. One night when we came back the night porter question ed my friends right to be there, even though I had paid for a double room! I was most upset as he was practically accusing me of smuggling someone in. No thanks. It just wasnt worth the 100 euros a night. There must be cheaper places. Having said that, it was probably the most expensive city I have ever been in. So take plenty of cash and, do try and see some of the sights. The coast is beautiful.

Comments