Portmarnock Hotel And Golf Links

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Portmarnock Hotel And Golf Links

Wonderful Hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member laudans

My partner and I booked this hotel as a retreat to finish our European city tour. before Christmas. We were keen to stay in Dublin and after much research, decided to stay just outside. We were so glad that we did. On arrival at the Portmarnock Hotel, two extremely pleasent members of staff helped us with our luggage and checked us in. Our room was one of their newer rooms overlooking the wonderful golf course. The room itself was extremely stylish, with new furnishings and a very large kingsize bed with fresh white linnens, most comfortable. The bathroom was a dream- expensive fittings and a great spacious shower. Much thought has been put into everything, even a plug transformer for electrical appliances.
The hotel is well located and can be reached by local bus from Dublin airport, take the number 230 (times can be found from the staff at the airport and transport desk) we only waited around 15 minutes for the bus, which took around 40 mins into Portmarnock with the bustop just 5 mins walk from the Hotel. Athough I don't play golf, my partner does it is a golfers paradise, although quiet in the winter because of its location you can take lovely walks along the beach, and catch the bus into Malahide, which is a lovely village complete with marina. Dublin is only 30 mins away and again you can catch the bus right outside the Hotel. After a day and evening in Dublin, Temple bar and the Guiness Wharehouse we were looking forward to returning to Portmanock. We arrived back to a very warm and cosy Hotel, complete with roaring fire, whereby we relaxed and ordered coffee and cakes. We did eat at the Hotel and whilst we initially thought it was a bit pricey, it was very comparable to prices in Dublin and Malahide. The food was outstanding, and served with smiles.
Our favourite aspect of the Hotel are the staff, they were most delightful in their helpfulness, we received outstanding service, and this is what made our stay at the Portmanock Hotel Golf and Links so enjoyable. An example of this was the evening we arrived back into our room and found that the maid had turned back the sheets slighty and left two complimentary chocolates on top, little touches like that really impressed us.
The hotel is elegant but not stuffy, stategically place overlooking the sea and golf courses, excellent value (we booked the champagne and chocolate package complete with full Irish breakfast for two nights, we paid 198 euros, which we felt was an excellent price considering the standard of the Hotel. It is not often you come across a hidden little treasure, we certainly recommend this place, and look forward to a return visit.

Debby and Cory
Cardiff / Mitchigan

By far the best hotel i've stayed in

by TripAdvisor Member love_holidays_woho

My partner and i booked this hotel for a quiet weekend away and we were both shocked to she the quality of the hotel. It was by far the best hotel we have stayed in and value for money for a easy weekend break. The room was so clean and tidy not to mention modern. The staff were very helpful and friendy. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will be going back the next chance i get!

Nice stay.

by TripAdvisor Member DublinLou

Me and my partner stayed in the Links hotel as a weekend away, We stayed on the new wing which was lovely and quiet, the food was well prepared although drinks were forgotten but made complimentary on departure, Found the bathroom lovely and clean and found the staff not very approachable, although overall a good stay.

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member Nic1972

What a lovely hotel. Spent three nights here with partner and friends. Hotel bar is lovely and very charasmatic. Had a sea view room which was beautiful to wake up to. Our friends had a new room in the new wing, which was very, very nice.

Staff were friendly and food was great. There is a bus stop right outside hotel with buses taking you to O'Connell Street in Dublin centre for only 1.90 euros. We went for St Paddys Day so this was ideal for us.

Had lovely walk on beach on Sunday to blow away cobwebs. Can't wait to go back.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member 911SC

Stayed one night after a walking trip in the Wicklows

Great location alongside a sandy beach and only 15 mins from the airport. Train into Dublin said to be a 10 min walk away.

Common areas very classy and plush (if a little old fashioned) and comfortable bedrooms follow suit. Mine has a nice view of the beach.

Hotel is in two parts. The older part was the old Jameson Whisky family home and alongside a newer extension has been built.

Staff all very friendly and efficient and food of a good standard. Bar prices on the high side.

Would definitely consider a trip back with family. This hotel seems to offer an ideal combination of city break base yet country/beach location

Shame about the rain!!

On the rise

by TripAdvisor Member Marylebonevisitor

Most of the hotel is looking pretty tired, however the 'new wing' is very nice (although they chose a rather odd shade of blue for the color accent in the rooms). I believe they are planning to refurbish more of the hotel soon. Oddly, there is no Internet access in the 'new wing'. Nice golf course - 95Euro if staying at the hotel. Getting to Dublin can be a bit expensive - taxi is 25 Euro. The bus is cheap, but it takes 45 minutes and we had a very scary experience with some of the locals - the bus driver had to stop the bus to kick them off and when they wouldn't leave, he just turned off the bus. Just keep that in mind if you plan to go into Dublin to eat - and you will because the hotel restaurant is very expensive and the lounge food was very poor.

Rooms small

by TripAdvisor Member Perrott

I booked 2 connecting rooms with sea view in the Portmanock Hotel for 1 night for 3 adults and 2 children. I requested 1 double room and 1 room for 1 adult and 2 children but on arrival we were given rooms with 2 very small doubles. The rooms were clean but very small and cramped with too much furniture.
The views from the rooms were stunning and the staff were very proffesional and could not do enough for us but the prices were very high,€192 per room for the rooms provided.
Also the common areas of the hotel were extremely warm and we had to ask for the air con to be switched in the bar area.
Overall our stay was dissapointing.

Ireland's Very Own Fawlty Towers Hotel!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member suzy39

Where do I begin about this hotel there were sooo many problems with it and the extremely rude staff. (I apologise about the length of this report but I feel it is important other potential guests are fully informed before they go as this hotel is NOT cheap!!)
(i) Rooms -temp in the hotel in general and in the rooms=sweltering. When we entered the rooms we all saw what looked like controls for the air conditioning only to find it didn't work. After contacting concierge we were then informed that there was no air conditioning in the rooms; the 'control' panels did not work at all. Night turn down service was erratic - in the twin room they only turned down one bed despite a set of pj's on each bed and with the double they decided to alternate the beds they turned down.
(2) Food - extortionate pricing.We ordered lunch at the hotel.With the soup I fished out what looked like a bright green elastic band. On closer inspection (although this was not necessary as it was approx 2-3cm long) it was indeed an elastic band. I called the waitress over and she whisked away the soup saying "I will notify the chef". 10-15 mins passed and no one approached me, at this point no one had even the courtesy to apologise. I then had to get up and hunt out the manager. When I did I explained to him that I was extremely unimpressed that no one had come over to speak to me about this and his response was that he was too busy at the moment but was intending to come over at some point!!!. About 5 minutes later he came over and asked me did I want more soup or something else - I felt it was safer to decline all morsels for fear of what might be lurking beneath. At this point I again reiterated my disappointment at the service and quality of the food to which he replied - "Do you want to file out a complaint's form?" - what an absolutely bizarre comment, I thought that speaking to the manager was complaining. The rest of my group had ordered the afternoon tea. It did not arrive for quite a length of time and when it did it was pretty abismal also - finger sandwiches were huge slices stuffed with creamy fillings and the salmon had quite clearly been prepared well in advance as it had curled at the corners and was hard - yum!.
(3) Staff - at reception we enquired about the Luas in Dublin and where we could pick it up but the receptionist did not seem to know what we were talking about and directed us to concierge who was not present at the concierge stand and did not arrive during the 1/2 hour we waited for our taxi. We experienced only two members of staff who were informative and polite - at reception when we checked in the receptionist was very friendly and helpful and at the ill fated lunch a waitress came over and apologised for the cream teas being late - noticeably these were the only two members of staff that we spoke to who were Irish. At breakfast if you did not make it for breakfast by 9am you would be shown to another room and they would send you back to the main breakfast room as they to were too full. A couple commented about this only to be told very rudely by the manager that the breakfast room was empty at 7am!!!!, this was a Saturday at 9am. This response summed up the attitude of the majority of the staff. Breakfast glasses were cracked and there only ever seemed to be about three waiters in a room with at least sixteen tables!!. Most of the staff seem to have english as a second language and it showed as did their serious lack of manners.
(4) Finally the Spa - this is a money making scam!! the sign says oceana and spa, what Spa???. Four rooms you can barely swing a cat in, pedicure and manicure was extremely unprofessional within full view of the reception and anyone popping in. One of my party had the seaweed bath (bath, jets and a bag of seaweed!) No one had the foresight to put a notice on the door saying treatment in progress and the locked door served no purpose whatsoever when halfway through the treatment an unknown male unlocked the door and popped his head in - relaxing this was not!!.This may have something to do with the fact that reception is unmanned most if not all of the time and should you wish to book or check treatment time, forget it.The sauna didn't heat up and a patron who was waiting for same had to leave without using it, no steam room, no plunge pool, no slippers for spa treatment. Manicure - hands are supposed to be put in a plastic bag after parafin wax has been applied - no chance, hands were squeezed into latex gloves that if they didn't fit your hands, so what!. The heated mits were cold but still you sat with them on. Apparently the electricity had been on the blink but rather than pulling the treatment they bog on with it!! - i think this has something to do with the allure of ££!!!. Within 10 mins of painting nails, they were chipped and scuffed - the paint was out of date,we were informed.

In conclusion AVOID THIS HOTEL if you want to have a relaxing and pleasant break. I cannot believe that this is a Preferred Hotel and would strongly recommend that Preferred Hotels look again at this hotel. 4 star it was not, 2-3 stars certainly. This is the only hotel that I have stayed in in Ireland that Manuel or Basil from Fawlty Towers would feel right at home at!! ( for those of you who are unfamiliar with Fawlty Towers, this was a comedy about a dodgy hotel!!)

overpriced and a bit run down

by TripAdvisor Member gaxxyy

just back from portmarnock - bit disappointed.Hotel was def not 4 star,maybe ireland is different but in UK this would be 2,at most 3 star,Lookd very run down from outside,reception looks tired as do resturants.Plus points - room very nice,(stayed in executive room so expected),bars etc all nice and staff friendly.
Very expensive though for meals,breakfast.
In all,wouldnt return

Pleasant Stay

by TripAdvisor Member DM66

Having read the most recent reviews after booking our weekend break we were slightly concerned but were pleasantly surprised with our experience of this hotel.
We arrived several hours before check-in and were greeted by "Julia" at the desk. She could not have been more helpful and supplied us with very useful information regarding transport into the centre of Dublin. She even checked that we had the correct currency and exact change for the bus, which was her recommnedation. We took her advice and caught bus 32a from the front of the hotel costing 1.90 Euro and taking 35 mins.
When we returned to the hotel we had been allocated a room in the new wing of the hotel on the 1st floor looking onto the golf course. It was very well appointed and spacious and in our opinion tastefully decorated. There was an abundance of quality toiletries and a good hairdryer according to my wife.
Breakfast was of a good standard with the usual assortment of fruits, cereals and a vaiety of cooked food. I had smoked haddock which was perfect.
Didn't have dinner in the hotel but saw some other guests having dinner in the cocktail bar, which overlooks golf course and the shore. The food looked good with decent portions. The staff in the cocktail lounge were also friendly and helpful.
On the minus side the gym was tiny with two running machines, one cross trainer, one rowing machine and an exercise bike. Two other guests were using it when I went making it full to comfortable capacity.
Overall I would have no hestitaion in recommending this hotel and would return to it.
We would recommend two restaurants in nearby Malahide, firstly "Cafe Provence" and "The Orangerie."

St. Michan’s ChurchSt. Michan’s Church

Afternoon Tea at The Shelbourne - TrifleAfternoon Tea at The Shelbourne - Trifle

Taxi in DublinTaxi in Dublin

Easy, right?Easy, right?

Dublin visit

by bettybandaide

What do you mean - don't look like an American? My husband and I are visiting in 3 weeks. We will be staying at the Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links. Is there a bus that takes you to the city from there? We are Irish Americans.

Re: Dublin visit

by annemariebyrne

There are several transport options from Portmarnock. Buses include 32,32a,32b,which take around an hour to reach the city centre and 32X which is an express. The 42 takes a longer route and the 42n is a night bus, running every half hour between 00.30 and 04.30 from D'Olier Street, (fare €5).
Portmarnock is quite a distance from the city centre so taxis would be expensive.
There is also a DART (local train) from Portmarnock to Connolly Station but I think the station is quite a walk from where you're staying. Staff at the hotel will be able to give you the best options.
Be sure to visit the nearby village of Malahide, if you are feeling energetic you can walk to it along the coast road.
Enjoy your holiday. AM