Radisson Blu Dublin Airport

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Just another chain hotel at Dublin's airport

During my trip to Ireland in June 2014 I stayed here twice: after arrival, because I was to meet friends at the airport next morning, and at the end of my trip, before departure of my plane back to Germany. Although Radisson Blue was advertising with rates “from 69 Euro” before I booked before my flight, there was none of these medium priced rooms left, so I had a “business room” for 119 Euro including breakfast. The price was even higher on my last day, when I paid 135 Euro. As of now that I write this, July 3, 2014, their website says “rooms from 107 Euro”, so I assume that the price changes according to the season.

What can I say? It is a typical faceless business chain hotel with no charm (I don’t like these kinds of hotels, but I needed a room close to the airport in both cases). Hence I won’t tick a rating. The rooms look the same as in the majority of business hotels: bed, sofa, desks, flat screen TV, wardrobe, hair dryer, bathroom with tub and shower, sink, toilet and complimentary soap and toiletry. The coffee/tea making facility provided Nescafe and tea but there was also a Nespresso machine with 6 capsules and three different varieties from very strong to mild. However, I think that this Nespresso machine might be only available in these business rooms.
    Breakfast was ample, of buffet style. Hot plates with scrambled eggs, potato cakes, grilled tomatoes, sausages, mushrooms, bacon, and continental style breakfast ingredients like cereals, several juices, salmon, marmalade, jam, Nutella, cold cuts, pastries, bread and rolls were provided. Coffee and tea was brought to the tables upon request, for coffee they had a machine with several options (including latte macchiato and cappuccino).
    In the basement there is a large bar and a restaurant; dishes for moderate prices. I had a Cesar’s salad for 8,50 Euro.
    Free WiFi is available, however their network is open (non-secured network it said on my notebook).

Staff at reception is nice, helpful and friendly. Credit cards are accepted, however my German bank card Maestro did not work on both occasions; the lady told me that this happens from time to time with Maestro cards from German banks. Strange!

Radisson Blue provides shuttle service to and from the airport, although Terminal 1 is in walking distance. Their shuttle bus stops close by Terminal 2 (see mark in my Bing Maps below).

Location of (1) Radisson Blue Hotel, (2) pick up station of Radisson’s bus shuttle on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., July 2014 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

• Dublin Airport favourite

Extremely friendly hotel with a very popular bar which serves quality pub food.
    Have stayed in this hotel on a number of trips, and never had a problem.
    Worth asking for a non-smoking room though as the ones used by smokers have a definite smokey smell to them.. not the hotels fault. Due to the legal ban on smoking in public areas in Ireland, smokers either have an option of smoking outside or in their room.
    The rooms are well equipped, comfortable and spotlessly clean.
    Good choice of menu in the main restaurant if you don't fancy the more noisier atmosphere of the Irish bar and its large screen telly which no-one seems to watch. Bar staff are efficient if sometimes not overly friendly - unusual for an Irish bar.

A free courtesy bus runs every 15 minutes between the arrival terminal at the airport and the hotel, or, if you feel energetic, you can walk it.

Offers special deals if you book online.
    Can recommend the full Irish breakfast to set you up for the rest of the day.

Unique Quality: Very quiet rooms considering it's at the airport

Directions: Walk out the arrival terminal and you can see it - the large white building across the car and coach park. The courtesy bus leaves from a stance adjacent to the arrivals terminal directly across from the taxi rank.

More about Radisson Blu Dublin Airport

Stayed at the 'inn on the...

by shoughton

Stayed at the 'inn on the liffey' Dublin and i wouldnt recommend this place to anyone. The place was tatty, not very clean and very noisy.
The 'limerick inn' in Limerick of course, very nice. The rooms were big and clean, great leisure centre attached with pool, suana, jacuzzi, steam room, tennis courts. i would recommend this place to anyone.
The last place i stayed was the 'great southern hotel' Dublin airport. Nice clean rooms, the restaurant however had terrible service, took ages to take the order, ages for the food to arrive, I had to ask three times for the wine once it had been ordered.... sleep there but do not eat in the 'porters restaurant'.

Again in a heartbeat

by TripAdvisor Member MICH618

Excellent. I was only there 1 night on my way out of Ireland, but I was so SATISFIED I had to write. From the bellman, to the front desk to the shuttle driver to the banquet worker who happened to be going to the airport at the same time I was. Everyone was an asset to the company and to the Tourism profession.
The banquet server directed me and helped me to get onto the right bus going from the airport to City center on a day when regular service was disrupted. He was great! I hope he enjoys his vacation during Christmas.
Stay here....A pleasurable experience!

Never Again!!!

Stayed one night on transit to the Middle East and i would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The room was booked via a well known last minute web site as a standard room.
The room itself was clean, but the bed was a "pull down" and was very uncomfortable as it was too soft and you fell into the middle. The pull down had built in furniture surrounding it, that made it impossible to turn the room lights off without getting out of bed.
Reception staff were very plesant in discussing my complaint, informing me that i should have complained earlier and they would have moved me. To classify this room as standard is a worry. Are all standard rooms fitted with pull down beds?
If you want an overnight stay near the airport there is a much nicer hotel accross the road.

Loved the Great Southern - Dublin Airport

by TripAdvisor Member karylynp

The last time we were in Dublin, my husband had a heart attack the last day of our visit. We were staying in the Great Southern at the airport. The staff could not have been nicer, they responded immediately when I called about his problem. They offered me the use of the room for the same rate we had paid while on the tour and could not have been more helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel. The room was wonderful, large and clean. The staff were all very friendly. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Short and sweet

We were going to fly out to South Africa and were kind of dreading the long flight after an hour's drive to the airport. So we decided to stay at the airport before taking off and be more relaxed. I checked out the internet and logged on to the Great Southern website, thought great rate €99 per night. But I wasn't able to book via the website, so rang the hotel and told them. They honoured the web rate, booked us in and we checked in a couple of days later. We received a warm welcome at reception and the girls were quite helpful, arranging a wake-up call (no way I'd get up without one at 4 AM!) and they recommended to have something to eat from the bar as the restaurant was closed. Everything was really lovely, the food and atmosphere, the staff! Got a few tips for our journey from one of the night receptionists too...

Clean, friendly and spacious

If you're looking for a bed for the night that is near to the airport in Dublin, look no further. The Great Southern has clean, spacious rooms, friendly staff and small but functional bathrooms. We paid 109 euros on the laterooms website for a peak Saturday night (rugby was on) and had a comfortable sleep without breaking the bank.

One tip, we were advised to get the hotel shuttle to the airport and the airport express bus to town to save a few quid. That cost 14 euros one way for two of us, but a taxi back was only 17 euros one way for two of us. Just get a cab - the bus isn't worth the hassle for a couple of euros saving!

Early Flight Hotel

Stayed at the Great Southern Hotel which was our last night in Ireland. Picked this hotel because its close to the airport. Had to return a car rental so we stopped at the hotel and asked where we could fill up before returning the car. They gave us a detailed map showing
where the gas station was which is only 2 blocks away. Returned the car and walked back to
the hotel since it was only a few blocks away and we had left our bags at the hotel. We took the hotel shuttle from the hotel at 5am, it runs 24 hours a day every 10 minutes. It is only a 5 minute ride to the terminal. Can not hear any plane noise in the hotel which was nice. We had the buffet in the lounge area and it was very good for 9 euros. All in all I recommend this hotel
for use in making a early or late connection to the airport.

Pretty awful

by TripAdvisor Member frogprince

I stayed at this hotel for one night in early May 2006, because of a late night arrival from Scotland. This is not a hotel it is a motel and the only reason to stay there is its proximity to the airport. Front desk personnel were unfriendly and incompetent and the servers in the bar were downright hostile. The room was dingy and drab. The overall ambiance is that of a downtrodden Motel 6.

The best at Dublin Airport

by TripAdvisor Member trevorcaroline

The Great Southern at Dublin airport is well worth a visit.

Its only a few hundred yards from the terminal building, and has a courtesy coach running every 10 mins 24hrs a day.

My single room was beautiful. In fact it was more like a junior suite. It even had a walk in wardrobe. The bed was very comfy, the furnishings were modern and of excellent quality. It had tea & coffee making facilities, but no complimentary biscuits. The bathroom was completely white and functional, and was a little bland in comparison to the welcoming colours of the bedroom. There was also a wireless internet keyboard in the room.

My departure required me to leave before breakfast started, but reception volunteered a continental breakfast delivered to the room at no extra charge. It was excellent, with hot toast, cereal, yoghurt, jams, rolls, tea, orange juice, a banana, in fact everything I wanted and more!

Having also stayed recently at the adjacent Clarion, the Great Southern has superior rooms. For that reason the Great Southern would be my hotel of choice.

Comments