Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel Dublin

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 39% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

A bit of historic southside

The Radisson blue occupies 4 acres of some of the most expensive land in Dublin. The southside of Dublin is where all the wealth congreates in Dublin. Many Irish people see the 'southsiders' as almost a seperate nation. Southsiders will often think the same thing.

The original building could be called a 'country house estate' (although it is still in urban Dublin). Built in 1750 of some very solid Portland stone it reeks of solidity and authority. The impressive public area remind one more of a London club rather than anything else. The modern attached orangerie has been well intergrated although the modern accommodation building is linked to the historic main building by a corridor that somewhat spoils the overall effect.

Rooms are clearly four star, but no more and the hotel lacks a swimming pool. I would expect that in any hotel that claims to be five - star.

Unique Quality: The formal gardens were quite impressive, even in late October. Promotional pictures do however ignore the manin road that runs in front of them.

On an entirely different note, the proximity of the RTE (irish TV company) studios make celebrity spotting quite a possibility here.

Some good deals can be had - we stayed for 140 euro (for family of 4) including breakfast in Oct 2010.

• Beautiful, but a bit far from the city

The hotel itself, and the room, were wonderful. It's very popular for weddings. In fact, two happened while we were there.

However, if your desire is to spend a lot of time in the city of Dublin, this is probably not the hotel for you unless you've been there several times. We chose it for the price, but would spend more money and stay inside the city next time.

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Doesn't Hit the High Spot

Although I spend a lot of time in Dublin, I have stayed here only once.

The hotel itself is very beautiful - a converted old grand property in a very good area of suburban Dublin. There is a fountain at the entrance which is a pretty welcome to a lovely place.

However, I found it rather disappointing overall. I booked a suite and the website proclaimed the suites as being on the top floor with great views, many with open fires etc etc. My sister stays here regularly and she is usually upgraded to a suite, they give her complimentary champagne, etc etc. I was therefore more than disappointed to be secluded in what I would call the dungeons of this property. My suite overlooked..... the bin storage area. It was located in the basement. Nothing on the website had prepared me for a room in the basement!

While the room itself was comfortable, I didn;t get the expected mineral water at bed time, or newspaper in the morning. Maybe they forgot me - after all, I was in the doldrums.

Dinner in the hotel's main restaurant was a disappointment. The restaurant is very informal and there is no privacy at the tables. The food is mediocre Italian.

At breakfast, while the buffet is quite good, again you feel as if you are on display. Although there were many empty tables, an elderly lady insisted on joining me for breakfast. It was company I didn't need or want.

I am not at all anxious to visit this hotel again. It was a most disappointing experience.

More about Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel Dublin

Fantastic room at the Radisson

by TripAdvisor Member LjoJo

After having read some of the reviews, I was quite suspicious about staying at this hotel.
We got a rate of €145 for the double room per night over the week-end - fairly cheap for Dublin, and were sure we were going to get one of the less attrative rooms.
Instead we found ourselves in a spacious suite (room 245) with a lounge and large bedroom and a really large bathroom.
Everything was just fantastic and don't worry about the staff. They were really friendly and helpful in every respect.
The only problem was a very advanced shower that send water onto your body from avery direction - we would have preferred a simpler, normal one, bit there was plenty of hot water - as one would expect.
Breakfast at €22 was too expensive, so we did not have it.
Public transport is fairly good by bus. A taxi into town costs about €20, as you are about 5 miles out of town, walking is not an option - at lesat not in normal Dublin weather (rain).
We can really recommned this place if you are not intent on staying in the town centre. The hotel is more than 100 yards from the main room, so there is no traffic noise.

Beautiful grounds

by TripAdvisor Member patca

We stayed at the hotel pre and post a Brendan Tour. The hotel is located outside of the city center. We took the Air Coach bus from the Airport and were very surprised to be let off the bus outside the grounds. We had to drag our suitcases over stones and steps for quite a long distance before arriving at the hotel. I would recommend that if you are staying here take a taxi from the Airport - about 30 Euros. The three of us paid 7 Euros each for the bus, so we were not saving much. That said, the staff at the hotel were wonderful and accommodating. Most of the staff is Polish. We found this to be true at most of the hotels and restaurants around the country.
The rooms are large and well appointed. The bathrooms are very nice. The breakfasts are buffet style, but omelets, etc can be ordered. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate are available in the room along with shortbread cookies. The only complaint would be that the duvet's were very heavy and hot and there was no extra sheet, so you were either to hot or had no cover. We solved this by taking the quilt out of the duvet cover and putting the cover over us every night.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful - filled with roses, flowers, and fountains. We loved our stay there.

3 star at best

by TripAdvisor Member mixitupnow

I stayed at the SAS St. Helen's last weekend for two days. I booked this hotel based on the 5 star rating and the fact that it was out of the city centre so hopefully would be quite and relaxing.

1st let me say, yes, it was out of the city centre and it was very quiet. The staff are lovely and helpful. Housekeeping, bar staff, reception everyone lovely! They may not all be Irish but so what good service is good service.

Now on to the bad stuff, first this is not a 5 star...not even close. The room service is a joke and so overpriced it's unreal. I don't mind paying 5 star prices for my room service if what you get warrants the price but this was silly! €32 for a hot 'Super breakfast' which looked like it came from a cafeteria kitchen...UCK and should have included everything on the cold breakfast menu plus hot stuff eggs meat etc. but as we also ordered a cold breakfast and the two together came with 3 mini pastries I wonder if that means you would only get 1.5 mini pastries if you ordered one breakfast?? No latte or cappuccino option for hot drinks just instant coffee or tea...blah €60 for breakfast that would have been better at McDonald’s.

The room, beat up and worn...asked for a queen/king sized bed got a double. There was only one robe and one pair of cheap paper slippers in the room...cheap cheap cheap. There were two pillows in the room couldn't get two more and not for lack of asking. The mini bar had a total of 4 things in the 20 odd compartments and all warm.

It was like staying at a Travelodge that got their price list from the Ritz.

So disappointed in this hotel. If you are looking for any old place to stay you can do better price wise than this and if you are looking for 5 star quality you can do so much better than this, either way I would never stay here again.

A Lovley Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ash23

I just came back from a 2 night stay at this hotel with my boyfriend and what can I say this is a lovely hotel. The grounds at the hotel are beautiful and are lovely to walk around in the morning.

The service is great, as soon as we arrived we had people open the cab door for us and take our bags. The staff are very nice and friendly and will do their best to help you and make you feel welcome.

The room was lovely; we had a queen size bed that was huge and very comfy. You are given mini shampoo, conditioner and shower gel daily and you have someone come round and knock on your door giving you mini chocolates and asking if you would like more tea or coffee for your room.

Breakfast is a buffet style which offers a wide selection of food, from cereal, fruit, big breakfast, omelettes cakes etc. This is a price of 22 euros but it is very nice.

The Hotel is based a little way out from the town centre but if you walk up to the main road which is about a 5 minute walk you will be able to get a bus 46a and this will take you straight to the centre. The bus cost about 3 to 4 euros and will take about 20-30 mins or you can ask reception to order you a taxi which will cost about 15 euros and take about 10-15 mins.

I would recommend going on the city tour bus which takes you around Dublin to see all the different attractions they allow you to jump on and off the bus, a bus comes every 8 minutes so you will not be waiting around for long. We went to the Guinness storehouse which was interesting, when you finish the tour they give you a voucher for a free pint of Guinness which I recommend you try on the roof top of the building, it had great views of Dublin.

I would love to come back here very soon

Not a five star

by TripAdvisor Member JMAS

Certainly not a five star hotel. Turned up around 11.30 am. Too late for breakfast and too early for lunch. As I approached the four staff chatting in the bar area I was told the only food available was a scone and tea. It wouldn't have taken much for one of them to make up a sandwich or something in the kitchen.

Top class

by TripAdvisor Member Peter_TelAviv

This is defintely one of the best hotels in europe.
It is a luxury and very big hotel, with beautiful gardens, great service - no words to describe the experience.
It is a 15 minute bus ride from the center od Dublin.

for the price of 180 Euros for 4 people - Book now!

Radisson SAS St Helens Hotel

by Cruefan

Next month when I'm in Dublin my planned daytrip has turned into overnight. I found this hotel in Blackrock and they have a very good web rate for Friday night the 27th. Has anyone either stayed or heard anything about the Radisson SAS St Helens Hotel. Any feedback would be appreciated.

RE: Radisson SAS St Helens Hotel

by nige_

You should have no problem with any radisson hotel.have never stayed in one but used to work as security in one of the hotels.

nige