Royal Marine Hotel Dublin

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Royal Marine Hotel Dublin

Superb Hotel in excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member AssamMiddleEast

we had the great pleasure of staying in the Royal Marine hotel during our summer vacation. The hotel had just opened and we hadn't been there since 2001, WOW.. what a good job they've done in maintaining the charm of this beautiful hotel while at the same time introducing some nice, fresh and modern facilities.
The rooms are spacious and you will not find another hotel in the Dublin area with such a view, breathtaking! The service was good, the lobby area was buzzing with locals and there was a real good feel around the place.
The service staff is excellent and I have to totally disagree with some of the previous postings, it is only normal that a new hotel will face some teething problems and that staff takes some time to get fully trained up and comfortable on the job. Anyway, we didnt' find anything but genuine warm hospitality.
I travel a lot on business and this hotel will certainly be on my 'return list' and I can only recommend everyone to try it out.

Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TedInverness

I stayed at the Royal Marine Hotel with my partner in January for three nights and we really enjoyed our stay. We were staying to meet family and found it exactly what we needed. I think the hotel has been refurbished recently.

Our room was a comfortable size, very clean, the furnishings were beautiful, the bed really comfy and the bathroom was lovely with a bath and seperate shower. The whole hotel was very clean and well presented. The staff were always helpful, professional and polite.

There were a couple of things that were a bit annoying though. We booked a room only rate and we got a great deal, but the breakfast was 21.50 euro each which I think is very expensive. We didn't have breakfast there because of that, we were lucky enough to find a lovely cafe called Harry's round the corner which did excellent breakfasts at half the hotel's price.

The parking wasn't explained to us. It's under the hotel but your charged 20 euro a day to park which must be because people park there to go to the shopping centre near by. Even so, it's very expensive for the hotel's guests. The annoying part was that we wern't told and only found out when we tried to get out of the car park and we had to hand over what I think is a lot of money! Infact, you don't need a car to get into the city centre anyway because the dart station is just down the road from the hotel.

We had two meals in the hotel's bar which were fine, nothing special but I didn't think the menu had a lot of choice.

Overall though, we had a brilliant stay as it met all our needs and would definitely go back.

Wonderful Stay at The Royal Marine

by TripAdvisor Member MacLeicesterUK

After reading the previous reviews on the newly refurbished Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire there had obviously been a few teething problems. However, we are glad to report that these are now well and truly behind them. We booked the Hotel for our Xmas get-away and spent four fantastic nights being looked after royally and with our every need being met. All the staff we met were hard working, friendly and extremely efficient and made our holiday one of the most memorable we have ever had.

We flew Aer Lingus from Birmingham to Dublin on one of their new planes which started the holiday off very well. We then took the advice of a previous reviewer and caught the 'Patton Flyer' directly from the Coach Park at the airport to the doors of the Hotel. This coach uses the new Dublin Port tunnel and misses out all the Dublin traffic, it cost 12 Euros return p/p and took around 40 minutes. This is a great service and we wish them good luck for the future, we will be sure to use this service again and would certainly recommend them.

The entrance to the Hotel is very grand with the large staircase directly in front of you. The large chandeliers are everywhere and give the Hotel a very impressive feel. There is a beautiful lounge with a piano that was actually being played on Christmas Day (there was also a harpist in the dining room on that day). The lounge is used throughout the day, serving sandwiches, tea, coffee etc for residents and non-residents but the highlight of the day is around 3.00 p.m. when they serve 'High Tea' with sandwiches, scones, cream cakes, tea, etc. we thoroughly enjoyed this experience.

We had a large sea-view room, this was spotless, very well appointed and contained a massive King Size bed (very comfortable) with a very large leather headboard, 2 x side drawers with lamps, a large storage/wardrobe area (containing the safe), a table & 2 deep leather chairs, 1 x smaller chair, a dressing table containing a fridge for occupants own use and tea/coffee making facilities. There is also a large flatscreen TV. There was a full length mirror and another large mirror over the dressing table. The bathroom was also on the large size with complimentary soaps, shampoo, etc. There was a bath, separate shower cubicle, toilet and sink with a mirror over, the mirror had an anti-steam section which was really neat. The hairdryer in the bathroom was also very good with dual speeds.

The food at the Royal Marine is exceptional. During our stay we ate in Hardy's Bar on a number of occasions and the meals were great with very generous sized portions. The breakfasts are served in Dun's Bistro and are part buffet style with the hot food 'cooked to order'. There were plenty of fruits, pastries, cereals, and included freshly squeezed orange juice (the real deal), the very generous portions of the hot cooked breakfast made this a real substantial start to the day. We do have to make mention of the very special Christmas Eve meals and Christmas Day meals which the Chef's at the Royal Marine prepared. They were superb and would not have been out of place at any Michelin starred restaurant. I am sure that with this standard of food it won't be long before awards are forthcoming.

I have to give a big mention to the staff at the Hotel: The reception staff were very friendly and always greeted us when we were passing. The restaurant staff were wonderful, extremely professional and efficient and we could not fault the service we were given. The bar staff were extremely good and also doubled as waiters in Hardy's Bar, working very long hours but they always had a smile and a greeting for everyone. Thank you also to the room stewards, our room was cleaned impeccably (even on Xmas Day).

All the staff we saw worked really hard and made our stay at Christmas the most relaxing and comfortable we have ever had. It was definitely a case of 'home from home', the staff were the friendliest we have ever met and we cannot thank them enough for looking after us so well, nothing was too much trouble for them.

We cannot recommend this hotel and its staff highly enough and we do hope that it won't be too long before we are visiting the Royal Marine again.

Can't sleep late....

by TripAdvisor Member ElyseAshton

We did pay a wonderfully low rate to stay at the Royal Marine with full knowledge that the health club and a few other areas were not yet ready. The location was great and was easily reached from the airport by a comfortable bus called "The Patton Flyer" which made only a very few stops and one was directly in front of the hotel. We came in laden with luggage and were asked if we were going to need help...and maybe the receptionist could find someone...if we could wait. We wanted to get straight to the room so carried our own bags. No problem for us, but for many who might pay the normal rate, luggage service would be expected. The keycard didn't work to open the door, so I left my husband with the bags and ran back down and got that sorted out by the desk staff. The room was comfortable enough although it felt a bit squeezed and small by the oversized furniture. The bathroom looked like it was brand new and everything worked well. The large bed was comfortable and the housekeeping was meticulous. Temperatures could be adjusted in one's own room. The location of the hotel is very convenient to the Dart and for strolling the town and the pier. The lobby area was welcoming and we sat with friends and were served very good tea by a pleasant staff.

At seven thirty to eight o'clock every morning the construction noise started up and made it impossible to sleep. I really only needed one morning to sleep in a bit after the journey, but this was not possible. The banging sounded like it was in our room, and when I explored, it nearly was. The courtyard just outside the window seemed to be where all the ladders and equipment were kept. The drilling was also nearby.

The night before my departure I paid off my bill so I could check out with ease at a very early hour in the morning. I settled the bill, went up to the room, and found that my card would not open the door. So it was back down to the desk, waiting again while the receptionist blankly scanned the computer--waiting while a manager was called---and back up the stairs... Most of these small complaints will be sorted out as the staff gets trained. I'm assuming that the construction noise is also for a limited time. So perhaps the next stay in the Royal Marine will be at a higher rate, but quieter and easier.

The greatest hotel in Ireland!

by TripAdvisor Member MBallweg

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of staying at this beautiful hotel and were delighted by every aspect.

There are many nice hotels in Ireland but certainly nothing as beautiful and hospitable as the Royal Marine. From the amazing sense of arrival created by the welcoming staff to the exceedingly comfortable guest room, we enjoyed every moment of our stay.

The staff made us feel as though we were their only concern. They constantly referred to us by name and continually exceeded our every expectation. Their attentiveness was unmatched from the lovely housekeepers to the team in the lounge and bistro. The front desk was very accommodating to our requests and went out of their way to help us get reacquainted with the city.

Our visit was truly perfect. We can’t wait to return to this spectacular hotel!

Beautiful Stately and Elegant Old Lady Approx 20mins from city centre

by TripAdvisor Member arracka

We booked this hotel for a romantic getaway and it most certainly met our expectations.

Location: The hotel is located in the centre of Dun Laoghaire. It takes about 20mins by Dart to get from DL to the city centre. A single adult ticket to the city centre is 2 euro, or 3.60 euro for an adult day return. Dun Laoghaire itself has a lovely shopping street, plenty of restaurants, and also a cinema. Right next door to the hotel is a mini mall with a good sized Tesco.

How to get there: We took the Patton Flyer coach from the airport, which drops you off at the entrance of the hotel. It takes about 35 mins, costs 12 euro per person return, and leaves every hour from the coach park at Dublin Airport.

Hotel: We arrived around 11am in the morning although check-in is not until 2pm. Reception staff were friendly and accommodating - offering an upgrade from a superior room to an executive room and promising the room would be ready at noon. We left the luggage at the hotel and went to explore Dun Laoghaire. After an hour we went back to find our room was ready. Our bags had not been brought up as promised but one quick phonecall to reception sorted that out.

Room: Our room was on the fifth floor (there are seven floors) in the new extension. The view wasn't amazing but we didn't mind; if it had then we'd have paid the extra for a seaview room. The room had a fresh modern interior. Everything looked new. Flat screen TV, nice leather couch, amazingly comfortable BIG bed (albeit a bit high for my liking), and lovely soft and warm duvet. The bathroom was decorated in a neutral colour scheme with bath and seperare shower room. Hairdryer provided, as were shampoo, body lotion and bath foam were provided. The towels were fluffy and soft. All in all, the room and bathroom were clean and looked modern and attractive.

Room issues: the minibar was not stocked - we didn't follow it up as we didn't need it. The safe wasn't working, but as soon as we reported this to reception someone came up in about 10mins to fix it. The lid of the bin in the bathroom was broken.

Hotel itself: the entrance hall is stunning and the whole place has a beautiful warm vibe. The lighting is quite dim, lots of candles, chandeliers, and dark rich fabrics. Elegant and stately are the words that come to mind.

Restaurant and Bars: we only visited the restaurant for breakfast on our second morning there. I think it was 21 euro for a full Irish Breakfast (on the weekends from 7-11am). This included buffet style mini croissants, jams, cheeses, pastries, fruit, yogurts and cereals, and hot food on order. The staff were friendly although a bit overrun when it became busy about 10am.

Service: all staff were very friendly and helpful, in particular reception. If I had to make comment, i'd say that restaurant staff should receive more training in serving guests in a manner expected from staff in a hotel of this statue (eg not say [--] in front of guests when accidently placing an order on the wrong table). But in general, all staff were very friendly and welcoming and made our stay very pleasing.

Food: One night we had a late dinner at the hotel's bar. They serve food up to 10pm I believe. The only issue we had was that the menu did not indicate which dishes were vegetarian (maybe this is common practice across Ireland??). My husband and I are both vegetarian; I ordered a mushroom/cheese omelette which was delicious, but my husband ended up biting into a leek sausage which we were under the impression was vegetarian but was not. To the credit of the staff they dealt with it very well, and offered to prepare something else (although the chef had gone home at this stage).

In conclusion we'd definitely recommend this hotel and would certainly come back if we're in the Dublin area again. If this hotel had been in the city centre, you'd be paying a lot more. It's a very special building. and the staff make you feel right at home.

Beautiful hotel but freezing cold!

by TripAdvisor Member cinnamon75

Beautiful hotel, impressive public areas and a room to swing an entire cattery in. Shame that there was no heating - the centrally controlled air conditioning is no match for an Irish December night. I tried to warm up in the bath, only to find that the water temperature was equally refreshing. In the morning I found the tv was not working, either.

On the plus side I had a really lovely vegetarian dinner (room service), which was good as they don't start breakfast until 7am which is fairly late if you need to go anywhere near Dublin in the morning.

I went to Dublin Airport using the excellent Patton Flyer service departing right outside the hotel - in the morning rush hour this journey took approximately an hour, but off-peak the bus whizzes through in 35 minutes.

No more than a 3 star hotel...

by TripAdvisor Member Belfast23

I stayed here for a relaxing weekend mainly based on the numerous good reviews this hotel has received and I have to admit that I came back a little disappointed.

Check in was awkward - most staff are from eastern europe and while they are very friendly they can struggle when with accents.

When we got to the room it was freezing and took almost an hour to warm up. We also discovered we didn't get a full towel set either of the days, no bath robes, no mini bar, room service took a while to arrive, breakfast was more expensive than most of the dinner options.

Good points - patton flyer gets you there fast! The area is beautiful, the spa is great (treat yourself to a massage, you won't regret it!), the pool is nice (even though they show fully dressed non guests round while you are in the pool)nice bar and food.

After everything I have to say it is a nice property but not worth the price tag that comes with it.

royal marine a pleasure

by TripAdvisor Member LancashireQueenbee

we have stayed in dun laoghaire before and noticed the royal marine being refurbished... couldn't wait to check in. we stayed for a long weekend, myself, hubby and daughter 12years..we were not disappointed, checked in earlier than said time. our room was at the back of the hotel, not a great view, but it went dark early anyway, room was very modern and a compfy bed and a bed settee, that wasn't made up, may i add, so had to call reception! flat screen tv a bonus and fridge, coffee, kettle!
excellent location, bus stop just around the corner for trips into town, as the locals say, dublin city to you and me! and of course the walk along the pier,5 minutes away! a pity the health club wasn't yet open, but i had a look around with a member of staff giving me the guided tour! meals in "hardys" the bar were ok, need a more extensive menu, didn't eat in the more formal restaurant, not a lot on the menu would exite my daughter.. cofee, drinks quite expensive, we got a bottle of wine from the off license down the road,and he even uncorked it for us, said he did it all the time for guests from the royal marine !! lol but would stay there again....hope this helps

A family reunion

by nhcram

"Back with the family."

Our main reason to visit the Dublin area was to bring the ashes of Chris' mum back to a place she spoke about often. Val died in December 2005 and before her death asked that we return some of her ashes near to the Royal Marine hotel in Dun Laoghaire. Her great-grandfather had worked there and she felt that she wanted to be there too. We had been to the hotel a few years before and kept Vals' promise by returning. Unfortunately the hotel is being completely refurbished but we found a nice spot under a tree overlooking the hotel. I am sure she is keeping a watchful eye over the builders!
Whilst in the area we visited quite a few places and we were so lucky with the weather. The friendly, charming people make it a bonus to visit as does the local brew of Guiness and the green lush countryside.

"Autumn colours"

Our visit to the area was in the autumn. We had excellent weather and the colours of nature were stunning. They say it rains a lot in Ireland but we must have been so lucky as we never saw a drop.

"Pretty coastline"

The coast in this area is so pretty and in some places very rugged. Many celebrities live near here and I can fully understand why. Little beaches and bays with little boats in the harbours are so pretty to see.

Ireland

by Anand5

I am taking my wife to Ireland for her 30th Birthday this will be our last trip away fro a while since she is expecting our first child. We are driving across from the UK and staying in Temple Bar. Can anyone suggest how I can make this extra special for her ? Where we can eat that is beautiful and romantic ? What to see in and around Dublin. We are going for a long weekend we leave on saturday the 16th of Augaust in themorning and return on Monday the 18th in the afternoon. Her birthday is on Sunday. Many Thanks

by donato1899

Powerscourt, very beautiful, very romantic. Lunch on the patio there is very nice.

by GeorgeA

Now I live in Dublin and am a little stumped, but i'll help you out where I can. To do in Dublin, if the weather is nice, its always nice to go for a walk in the Phenoix Park, right besice the city and the largest encloded park in Europe. You can walk around trinity college, see the book of Kells. Depending on how much you love your wife and want to spend (ha ha ha)I'll post up some nice restaurants. All walking distance from Temple Bar.

1. Shannahans on the Green (Stephens Green) quite expensive Stake house

Re: Re: Ireland

by GeorgeA

2. La Stampa. Excellent restaurant. Gormet Food. Would be my choice for special and Romantic meal. www.lastampa.ie I think. Better book in Advavce. They have an excellent Thai restaurant too down stairs.

3. Diep Le Shaker. Pembrook Lane. mix of Chinese/Thai

4. Milanos. Dawson St. for a nice run of the mill Italian.

5. For a lunch out, Definatly Gotham Cafe, South Ann St (Just off Grafton St) I love it to bits.

In the IFC Square (Temple Bar) on Saturday morn/lunch they have a food fair.

Re: Re: Ireland

by GeorgeA

Also check out www.entertainmentireland.com for some things to do.

I agree with Powerscourt in Wicklow if you have good weather. Nice day out down there. Waterfalls, Amazing Gardens etc

If you need more help send me a mail.

by chrishc

St John Goggerty's in Temple Bar was good fun with live music on the top floor.

You could also drive down the coast and inland a wee bit to the village of Avoca where Ballykissangel was filmed and near there is a place where two little rivers meet I think it is called three waters or something like that, it's pretty amyway.

Afternoon tea in the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire might be a nice idea.

Have a great time.