Shelbourne Hotel

BeatChick's Profile Photo

Shabby Shelbourne?

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 13, 2015

By & large this is a lovely hotel; the service is superb, the food is fab, the drinks delightful. However, there were a few signs of wear & tear (wallpaper seams coming apart in the bathroom, sub par obvious repair in a few other wallpaper spots). This was rather disappointing considering I expended quite a few Marriott points that I'd spent MONTHS diligently accruing in the dear hopes of using them at this property. Business travel is quite new to me (I'm well-known for budget travel), so using hotel points was a new experience for me. It makes you wonder if they palm off the not-so-great rooms to points users. I'm at Platinum status & hoped for better.

There was also a bit of trouble in the bar. We received drink coupons for the bar, so we decided to check it out. I got excited at the thought of drinking a Pimm's Cup in a UK country! Was sternly told "I don't know what that is; we don't do that here." The Irish are not always as pleasant as their reputation would warrant. I think a better response would've been "Can you explain that to me?". I told her to just do the best she could. What she gave me was what we know in the US as Pimm's Cup (eye roll). Please see my tip about the bar.

Unique Quality: But the bathrooms were GREAT. Toilet area separate from the large shower; shower had nice hot temp & great water pressure, bed was nice & comfy, while we had a slight view peeking over Dublin rooftops.

Late-night room service & breakfast room service was fab (albeit expensive). I've found room service in nice hotel rooms to be hit or miss. This one was definitely a hit! Meagan dined on the egg white omelette with sausages while I opted for boiled eggs (10 minutes, please) with sausage. Juice was great, coffee hot & strong!

Staying at this hotel created grand memories for my daughter's 1st trip overseas (VERY impressed with the shower).

Afternoon tea in the Lord Mayor's Lounge is an absolute MUST. I've treated both of my children to champagne tea here. An absolutely top-notch experience. Easily the best afternoon tea I've had anywhere (except perhaps The Ritz in Paris). Please see my tip about Afternoon Tea.

Directions: Situated along the north side of St. Stephens Green - you can't miss it!

Dublin's Top Hotel

by written on June 9, 2009

I have stayed in The Shelbourne many times over the past ten years. The Horseshoe Bar is famous all over Ireland. Many of Ireland's leading politicians frequent that bar as the Irish Parlaiment is jut around the corner in Kildare St.

Unique Quality: The suites on the top floor are without doubt the best in Dublin. The hotel, although large, is quaint and has a certain Dublin character. Maybe it is the distinctive and friendly accents of the employees

Directions: Close to many restaurants, cinema and theaters. Across the road is Stephens Green, where one can walk and feed the birds.

doug48's Profile Photo

luxury in central dublin

by written on July 6, 2007

the shelbourne hotel is located on st. stephen's green in central dublin. it's excellent location is walking distance to most of dublin's attractions. built in the 19th century it has an old world feel but with all the amenities of a business class hotel. expensive but worth it.

Directions: central dublin, south of the leffey.

Ruai's Profile Photo

The one and only

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 12, 2006

This was always 'the' hotel in Dublin. Its location can't be beaten and generations of Dubliners have marked the rites of passage here (mostly through weddings!) Its bars were always places to see and be seen as well as have a warm drink on a cold day.

Having gotten rather shabby and being in danger of losing its fifth star, the Shelbourne was closed for renovation for nearly two years. It reopened with much fanfare in March 2007 after an €80 million makeover. Verdict is still out on the refurb but you now have to queue up to get in, which shows how many people want to go in to have a look. It now has all the refinements of a modern 5* but I think may have lost a touch of character along the way. However, its bars are far above the normal run of the mill and seem to be packed every night with an eclectic mix of locals, tourists and other odds and sods :-)

Room numbers have been increased and as far as possible the Hotel has commemorated its past glories by naming its suites after the famous who have stayed there. An historical point of interest is the room where the first constitution of independent Ireland was worked out.

Unique Quality: Location, location, Location

Directions: City centre

The best!

by written on August 24, 2002

Well...we only had money to have a cup of tea. And even that was really expensive. But stylish and comfy! A must for everyone visiting Dublin who can't afford staying here!

Unique Quality: Dublin's traditional hotel since 1824. Closed for renovations in winter 2006/2007.

Krystynn's Profile Photo

The Shelbourne Club, a...

by written on August 24, 2002

The Shelbourne Club, a fitness/gym club for hotel guests and members. Very nice and impressive gym with a huge indoor swimming pool and state-of-the-art gym equipment.

This is the place I head to either extremely early in the mornings (6.30am) or at night (6pm) just before dashing off into the night for dinner with my buddies.

I'll DEFINITELY miss this club!

Krystynn's Profile Photo

The fabulous world famous...

by written on August 24, 2002

The fabulous world famous lounge where the who's-who of Dublin high society congregate to gossip (oops!) over high tea. Here at Le Meridien Shelbourne Hotel.

Krystynn's Profile Photo

The lovely 5-star Le Meridien...

by written on August 24, 2002

The lovely 5-star Le Meridien Shelbourne Hotel located along St Stephen's Green. A charming victorian hotel.

Krystynn's Profile Photo

Initially, I was supposed to...

by written on August 24, 2002

Initially, I was supposed to be booked into the Westbury Hotel. But the hotel was COMPLETELY booked for the period I was supposed to be in Dublin. So, I was given another option - which proved to be a much better choice than the Westbury. Yes, The Le Meridien Shelbourne Hotel.

I love this grand Victorian hotel. The Shelbourne is known to be one of Europe’s grand old luxurious hotels... furnished with antiques in a luxurious decor. This hotel was chosen as the location for the drafting of the Irish Constitution in 1922. You can even view the room that hosted this momentous event if you're a guest of Shelbourne. Spectacular views of St. Stephen's Green can also be seen from the hotel's superb suites (Pierce Brosnan stayed at the Princess Grace suite on the second floor). My room? Because I was a long staying guest, they upgraded me to a more spacious room (read: not a suite... so sad!) overlooking beautiful St Stephen's Green. So, no complains from me there. Their world famous pub is also the watering hole for celebs like Bono (from U2) to hang out. Famous celebs who have stayed here recently included: Kylie Minogue, Kevin Costner, Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan etc. Pierce Brosnan (aka James Bond - my favorite Bond) was also staying at the hotel - the same period as I was (first week of December 2001). Needless to add, I was soooo excited (read: heart palpitating, pulse racing) when I found out that he had checked in to the hotel for 2 nights and was staying on the 2nd floor, one floor below mine (I was on the 3rd floor). C'mon, this is THE James Bond after all! Which gal won't swoon?? However, because most of the guests at this hotel acted sooo cool in his presence, I had no choice (ugh!) but to contain my excitement and try not to look like some screaming teenager at a Britney Spears concert. Or worse still, come across as a country bumpkin (heavens no!). I mean, NOBODY asked for his autograph or took his pics! Anyway, even if they'd wanted, they can't. Pierce Brosnan had a strict NO PHOTOGRAPHS please ruling when he was staying at the hotel. Oh well.
The corporate rate for the Italian bank I'm working with is EUR 160++.

Directions: Along St Stephen's Green... and a 2-minute walk from the world famous Grafton Street, the Rodeo Drive of Dublin.

Nearby Shelbourne Hotel

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Dublin Travel Forum

Need advice about Dublin, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Dublin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Dublin hotel reviews