St Augustine Apartments

Staycity Serviced Apartments Saint Augustine St
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

• gaulinlin's Profile Photo

Wonderful Location

This apartment was fabulous in every way. I traveled with my 10 year old granddaughter. the 1st week in Dublin we stayed at another Stay dublin location but we got stuck in Ireland for an additional week due to the volcano so we had to change apt. locations. We were so impressed with this aptarment. We liked having the reception downstairs. The apartmetnwas CLEAN and wonderful. We loved the washer/dryer, esp. seeing we hadn't planned to be in Ireland for so long so It really saved us. Everyone that worked there was nice. the location was good too. A tiny walk to everything. A fabulous restaurant was just up the hill..... a one or two minute walk. It is called "Just Off Francis". The owner, Frank is a very very nice guy who lived in the states for 13 years and had a restaurant in manhatten. He helped my granddaughter and I out when we were about ready to cry because we just found out our flight was cancelled to the states and all the airports were closed down. He gave us a free meal and really brightened our dismal day. The food is wonderful. The seafood chowder is to die for......I had it twice. There is nothing there that is not wonderful including the decor.

Unique Quality: Washer/dryer....awesome because unlike anything that we have in the states.....it washes and then goes into the dry cycle so you can put your wash in... go out...come home an dthe clothes are washes AND dried!!

Porch.......we loved sitting out there for a break in the afternoon.

Directions: Quite near Christ church cathedral

• Conveniently located

Stayed for two weeks over Christmas. The apartments are in easy walking distance of most Dublin landmarks, although the neighborhood is not the greatest late at night. The kitchen was well appointed. The hot water was a major issue...maybe had one 5 min. hot shower during our stay. The beds were comfortable and the apartment was quiet. The staff was helpful and polite. Trash pickup was slow during the holidays and there were frequently bags of trash accumulating in the hallways....suspect most of the housekeeping/maintenance staff had time off during the holidays. For the price and convenience would stay there again, just not during the holidays.

Directions: A couple of blocks from the Liffey and around the corner from the Brazen Head.

More about St Augustine Apartments

Loved the augustine apartments.

by TripAdvisor Member AMA001NIRELAND

Excellent. Accommodation was lovely. It was very clean. We stayed for 2 nights in August 2008. I wished we had booked for longer. The apartments were nice and quiet. It was also within walking distance to the main attractions eg guinness storehouse, christchurch cathedral, temple bar, grafton street. The staff were very helpful if you had a query. I hope to stay again next year.

Loved the Augustine Apartments

by TripAdvisor Member Wiganers5

We stayed at the Augustine Apartments for the weekend 22 to 25 August 2008 and have to say we really enjoyed it.

We were 5 adults staying in a 3 bedroom apartment and having read the reviews previously were fully prepared and nothing posed a problem.

Eco friendly toilet - no problem! Just keep a bucket of water in the bathroom in case you need extra help to flush the toilet.

Shower, use the booster button as the receptionist will explain. We had no problem, there was enough hot water for five showers every morning.

The smoke alarm is very sensitive and ours was positioned very close to the cooker, and as we cooked a full english every morning we had to find a way to solve this, so we put a plastic bag over the the alarm while we were cooking - problem solved.

The 250 euro deposit, I must say we wouldn't have known about this if we hadn't read the reviews. OK it does seem a bit excessive but at least we knew about it before we went and were prepared.

There is a Lidl not far away (a lot cheaper than Spar) when you come out of the apartments turn right, cross the road and walk up the hill and turn right again it is then about 100 yard on your right.

We had booked a taxi via the internet for airport transfers which was 40 euros each way.

Also would recommend that you look at the site diningtreats.com it has lots of information on restaurants in Dublin (menus etc.) and if there are any special offers e.g. we pre booked the restaurant Mexico to Rome for the Saturday early bird and had 2 courses for 11.95 euros, the meal was fabulous and very reasonably priced. But if we had not booked we wouldn't have got in.

Enyoy the place it's vey clean, quiet and brand new!

What a fab find!!!

by TripAdvisor Member GersyO

After initially booking into the grotty Millenium Tower apartments, we asked to be moved to these Augustine apartments, all I can say is absolutely lovely, comfortable, spacious and clean and new!!! We really enjoyed our stay here, great value for money. The guy on reception was very nice and upon telling him we had to ask to be moved from their sister apartments in town he completely agreed with us and advised that it was totally unacceptable that the other apartments should not be of a clean standard.
It felt extremely secure, as all doors in courtyard etc needed keys to go into.
Its a short walk into town and also to Heuston station. I would highly highly reccommend these apartments to anyone. !!

Lovely, clean, close to everything

by TripAdvisor Member LolaGreen

The St Augustine Apartments themselves were beautifully furnished, in a brilliant location and had absolutely everything you could ever need. They really are a home from home. On arrival we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment so we had more space than we needed, which was great. Bear in mind, you WILL be asked to leave a €250 deposit upon arrival in case you break anything. We left cash as none of us had a credit card which was a bit annoying for us not having all our euros, but they never actually check your room anyway so cash is the best way to go! Not that we broke anything and the deposit was returned to us at the end.

The apartments are equipped with very cozy beds, lots of wardrobe space, a full kitchen with dishwasher, microwave, oven, washing machene, full fridge freezer, as well as all the cutlery and plates you could need. There is a flat screen TV and DVD player so we watched a few movies during our stay. The hot water has to be turned on half an hour before you want to use it, but that really wasn't a problem at all for us. The whole apartment was beautifully clean and there was a balcony too. Not great views but what do you expect right in the heart of a city?

Coming from Dublin Airport, get the turquoise airlink number 748 bus to Wood Quay. This will drop you next to the river and it is only about 5 minutes walk to the hotel. If you carry on walking in the same direction as the bus until the second bridge you come to, turn left and then the hotel is accross the traffic lights on the first right, Oliver Bond Street. It is the modern looking building on the right hand side, although there were no signs saying the hotel name which confused us! The bus is €10 return although I was given a ticket by a nice Irishman at the airport :) On the way home, the bus will collect you from the other side of the river but the same distance along, almost directly opposite the Wood Quay stop. They come once every 30 mins.

The best trip we did was to the Guiness Storehouse. I hate the stuff, but it was so much fun! There is a good little cafe on the 1st floor serving nice sandwiches and muffins fairly cheaply. The gravity bar is the best part of the storehouse. Situated on the top floor, it features amazing views all accross Dublin and beyond, along with a free pint of Guiness. Entry was around €10 i think, although I can't really remember, and it is worth every penny.

Another definate trip to take is a Green Bus Tour. For €15 euros for an adult, or €13 for a student, it entitles you to a 24 hour ticket to tour Dublin and takes you to all the top attractions. The nearest stop to the hotel is up behind Christchurch Cathedral and Dvblinia on the other side of the road. This is only a 5 minute walk. The drivers know their stuff and tell you everything about the attractions. Even if you dont get off anywhere, you still learn a lot. We got off at the Kilmainhan Gaol (not sure of spelling there!) which was worth the visit. For €2.50ish, you get an hour long tour around the jail which teaches you so much about Irish history (but interesting stuff, im not a real history person really) as well as a few stories which almost made me cry! You are shown the courtyard where many people were hanged many years ago. It really is worth the visit and can also be done as a nighttime ghost tour (which we didnt do).

The Spire is worth a visit too, although there's nothing to do except look at it. You can't go up it. O'Connell Street where it is is a great place to visit just to walk down it! There are loads of shops there (my fave being Penneys, Irish Primark!!). The post office is huge with grand pillars at the front. There are many great buildings down that road to photograph. O'Connell street is around 25 minute walk from the hotel but is a very scenic walk along the river. If you want to get a taste of England in Dublin, there is a shopping centre to the West of O'Connell Street with Topshop, Tescos, M&S, Miss Selfridge etc. The tram runs along a road here too, just North of the river, which I was in awe by as I had never seen one before! Bit sad maybe but I liked it. The nearest shop to the hotel is a Spar just up the street directly oppositte the apartments. Only a 2 min walk up the hill and on the opposite side of the road. it does stuff like bread, milk, crisps, chocolate, soft drinks, alcohol and hot pies. Quite small but with most things you'd need.

Great places to eat are the classic, Hard Rock Cafe and another American inspired diner, Thunder Road. Not very Irish I admit, but we made up for that at the Irish pubs!! One thing to remember is that everything is so expensive!! An average pint of Bulmers, bottle of Smirnoff Ice, WKD or Guiness was around €7-8. So don't expect a cheap round! Taxis are pretty cheap though. Even at 1am they only start at €2 rather than £6 where I live at home.

The pub where we spent every night is The Temple Bar itself. Featured in the centre of the Temple Bar area, it features live music every night and really friendly people. The staff are excellent and the public are also brilliant. This is what we loved most about Ireland. Everyone is so friendly. We chatted away all night every night to loads of Irish people. There was a mix of nationalities in there, including English (us!), Australians, South Africans, French, Belgiuns, Brazillians, Italians and Americans. Everyone was amazingly welcoming and chatted to everyone. Not like England where we tend to ignore each other even in a crowded pub. The live music was brilliant, exactly how I'd imagined Ireland to be!

All in all my stay in Dublin was absolutely brilliant and I cannot wait to go back!! For 4 nights self catering including stay at the Augustine and flights was only £133 each for 3 of us booking through lastminute.com and RyanAir. Fantastic getaway!

Great for families

by TripAdvisor Member livetotravelNJ

I traveled to Dublin from the US with my 3 teenage children and choose the St Augustine Apts over a hotel due to the extra space. I arrived at approx 12:30 pm. Check in was at 2:30 and although the apt was ready, there was a 30 Euro additional fee to get the keys early. SInce I was already paying nearly 450 Euro for two nights, I thought that this was outrageous and did not check in early. In order to enter the apt "block" you must enter a courtyard from the lobby "block" and then need a key to enter your building. I was only provided with 1 set of keys which proved to be very inconvenient. On several occasions, I found people locked in the court yard because they left their keys in their apt! The terrace it also locked and the key is held by reception.

The apt itself was lovely. Very clean and nicely decorated. The kitchen was well supplied. The evenings were warm and the bedrooms were hot at night. When the windows are open, there is alot of street noise.

The location is good and if you are an able walker you can get to most attractions on foot, a definite plus. Close to the Temple Bar district and the Guiness Storehouse.

I would consider staying here again.

Good value, can be noisy

by TripAdvisor Member bells17

When I originally booked this few reviews existed as it was a fairly new development, so I had to hope for the best. Overall, for the price I think it was good value. I would have rated this as 4* other than the simple fact that there was one major downside - the noise.

As a couple we had a 2 bed apt on the ground floor facing st augustine street. As mentioned by others this is a cobbled street and by no means a main road, but it appears that it is often used as a shortcut by the locals looking to avoid rush hour Dublin jams. An airvent in the room was like having the window open and being on the ground floor meant that I was woken from half 7 onwards by the traffic noise each day - not what I had hoped from our midweek getaway break.

On the plus side the apts are actually very nice - clean, well furnished and I thought the location was good. It's near the Guiness factory and took about 10 mins to walk to the start of Temple Bar, maybe longer depending on how energetic you are feeling. Some people feel this is too far out, but from our point of view it was nice to be able to walk everywhere rather than always jumping in a taxi to go a few mins down the road.

I can understand how the keys, toilet and shower situation would be a problem for large groups but we had no problem in this respect as a couple

We would stay here again but would want to make sure we got a room away from the road so to get a better night's rest.

Could not have asked for more

by TripAdvisor Member Devils2000

Myself and 6 female friends stayed at the apartments, originally booked a 3 bed apartment with sofa bed, when we arrived we were upgraded to a Penthouse apartment which was amazing and very spacious, as well as three bedrooms, a large lounge and a large fully equipped kitchen we had a full bathroom and an additional en-suite – which came in very useful for 7 women all getting ready at the same time. Only one small problem, even with the booster for the hot water it did tend to run out after the 5th/6th shower

Reception staff were very friendly providing additional bedding and towels when requested and organising taxis when needed

Only having one key was not really an issue, it was either left at reception when we were all out or we called up the who ever had got home first to come and let us in

Location was brilliant only a short walk to Temple Bar. Found a very interesting local pub just round the corner – but this all added to our memories of the trip

Great value for money, great fun all being able to stay together rather than in separate hotel rooms, great location – would definitely stay there again

Bad Luck

by TripAdvisor Member eiremo

We spend one week there.
Positive: well-equipped, colour-coordinated and clean apartment
Negative: Our room was located above the car-parking gate that opended and closed all the time since our third day and wasn't repaired until we departed; moreover the internet connection wasn't working since the third day as well.
Advise: ask the staff for a room towards the courtyard
The buster for hot water was very load every time we used water; the bathroom was poor-equipped (only one towl bar and no storage tray)

Taxi Costs?

by psadair

Hi, there is 3 of us (& 3 suitcases) traveling to Dublin in early Sept and was just wondering if anyone knew how much a taxi would cost from over in the city centre to the airport. I'm looking at staying at the Augustine Apartments. Or is there a better way to get to the airport from here. I fly out at 7 am so need to be at the airport by 5 am as I'm flying to Belgium. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Re: Taxi Costs?

by annemariebyrne

Have a look at www.aircoach.ie, they run buses hourly through the night. If you can get to the Suffolk St bus stop with your luggage this would be your best option as it's the nearest stop to the Augustine Apts. It's hard to calculate taxi fares because it depends on time, luggage, number of passengers etc, at a guess I'd say about €30/€40

Comments