Sunnybank Hotel

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Dublin

Kilmainham Gaol, the West WingKilmainham Gaol, the West Wing

The stuff that runs IrelandThe stuff that runs Ireland

Scone & Pistachio Financier with Fresh Berries!Scone & Pistachio Financier with Fresh Berries!

Entrance to the CastleEntrance to the Castle

Flight out of Dublin?

by wise23girl

Are there any flights out of Dublin Sunday 16th May....the one in question to Switzerland?
Davids brother and co are sleeping right now but we have heard there are closures again due to the ash.So they may wake up to cancelled flights.

by TheWanderingCamel

Dublin is open and looks likely to remain so - the latest news is that Heathrow and other airports in Britain's south east may close from later today until Tuesday, which will leave MrL stranded in Istanbul for an extra couple of days. How hard is that to take? My heart bleeds for him!

Who is Mr L? Thanks for Dublin news

Marg

by TheWanderingCamel

MrL = Mr Leyle = my other half

by leics

No problems in Dublin at the moment although Northen Ireland airports are closed until 1pm today.

And whilst it is thought possible that some south-east UK airports will close between today and Tuesday, it will not necessarily be all of them and not necessarily for the whole period.

Predictions are being made on computer simulations of wind direction/ash. And computer simulations are not always correct. So, as ever, nothing is certain.

But the ash has definitely closed N Ireland airspace for now.

by wise23girl

Thanks. They are in one of the hotels in Dublin Airport surrounds so I guess they will know soon enough. We are following their holiday with the ash and sometimes we have more info than they do even if they are "on the spot"

In fact we told them of the earlier ash disruptions before they knew over there. They had to get a ferry to Ireland which their daughter arranged from here thanks to our forewarning.

by annemariebyrne

Marg, if Dave's bro +co were getting the flight to Zurich you'll be glad to know they departed (about fifty mins late)at 12.38pm. Dublin is open but flights to Scotland and Northern England are restricted due to ash over those parts. Every news bulletin on RTE Radio and Television has updates so I'm surprised they were unaware although of course being on holiday they may not have been following the news! We have closures here every other day so it is a constant worry - I'm getting very nervous about getting to Krakov for Euromeet. Hopefully the winds that are expected from the south-west by Tuesday will clear the ash away for a while! Hope you and Dave are well. AM

Thanks AnneMarie
When the ash first hit they were on QM2...but then they were travelling in Scotland and missed the next alert .
Anyway nice to know they would have made Zurich. Hope your Krakow plans go well. Maybe we will see you next year around Easter time. Marg

Travel Tips for Dublin

Guiness Stew

by Amboss

We went on a day trip out to Wicklow and on the way we stoped at a little village in the mountains (I can't remember what its called I'm afraid) but we stopped at a restaurant/pub. There I tried Guiness stew and it was the most beautiful meal I have ever had!! It was divine and I'm not reallty a big meat eater but I recommend it if u get a chance to try it!

Dublin Tip

by Nantosvelta

One early morning when we looked out of the window of our hotelroom it was as if we had landed in the 1st World War.
Tanks were driving by and soldiers were marching through the streets.
Later on we discovered they were shooting a film right under our noses!
They were filming 'Michael Collins' with Liam Neeson, Aidan Quinn and Julia Roberts.

Basically there is not much to...

by Graeme_Webb

Basically there is not much to do but drink and there are plenty of places to do that, we went out regularly in the Temple bar area, and of course THE temple bar. I have been told recently that it has become very expensive to go out in dublin now, since the euro came in etc. Guinness!!!

Details along Essex Bridge

by Kentbein

The first bridge built on this site was in 1676 and called Essex Bridge, named after the English first Earl of Essex, Lord Lieutenant Arthur Capel (1631-1683), Lord of the Treasury 1679 during the English reign of Charles II.

Capel didn't care for many of Charles' policies and schemed to keep James, the Duke of York, from succeeding him to the throne. Apparently, that didn't turn out very well, he was imprisoned in the Tower, and later found dead with his throat cut. Rumor says it was suicide.

So, the salient facts about Arthur are, he was English, objected to a Catholic (James) taking the throne, and he may have killed himself by cutting his throat. That's interesting. Another interesting fact is that the original bridge was the product of real estate developer Sir Humphrey Jervis, whose name is still prominent around Dublin.

There are some discrepancies I've noted between some of the written material research I've found and the plaque shown on the bridge (attached photograph). As best I can piece together, the original bridge remained for fourteen years until damaged by flood waters in 1690.

Today's Essex Bridge was erected in 1755. In 1875 it was rebuilt, widened, strengthened with cast iron supports, and had its name changed to Henry Grattan Bridge.

It's one of the Liffey's prettier bridges and serves as a prominent landmark for the city. It leads to Parliament street towrads the south, and Grattan Street towards the north.

Dublin Tip

by Krystynn

Noticed the bright red door that caught my eye and which I managed to capture on film? Well, this lovely door can be found along St Stephen's Green, just next to the Le Meridien Shelbourne Hotel.

This is, in my opinion, the most outstanding feature of Dublin. Yes, their colorful doors. This unique feature sure makes this city stand out from all other cities that I've visited thus far. They are so bright and colorful; and can be found at every street corner.

For the really nice doors, I'd highly recommend that you check out those cool Georgian houses along Merrion Square.

Merrion Square itself is a very fine example of Georgian Dublin and a stroll around the square will give you a first hand experience of the famed Doors of Dublin now immortalized in a famous poster of the same name.

A stone's throw away, along Kildare Street, you can catch a glimpse of Dáil Eireann (read: the House of the Irish Parliament). Also on Kildare Street is The National Library which frequently houses art and photographic exhibitions, and the Taylor Galleries of Contempory Modern Art. All must-sees if you ask me.

Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to visit the museums.... but I passed it almost every other day! Big deal huh?

Comments