Tara Towers

Rated 22% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Tara Towers

Decent location in South Dublin

by kit_mc about Tara Towers Hotel

I stayed in this hotel just one night so my experience was limited. The rooms were decent enough, maybe 3 or 4 star, nothing amazing. Overall though I was not entirely impressed by things here though. The hotel bar was closed by middnight on the Saturday night which surprised me. Early on though my expectations weren't high anyway. Trying to book a room for early January over the Christmas period proved impossible as the hotel was closed although there was no answering machine message that actually said that. According to their website they had no rooms - I really don't know why hotels bother with websites when you can't actually book anything... Also, the prices quoted when I phoned and when my father phoned were different and I ended up paying 89 euros a night, breakfast included, which I think was about 10 euro more than was originally quoted. Irish hotels are gathering a reputation as being very expensive for very little return and I suspect this was a case in point. The breakfast was pretty average for an extra 10 euro. The room was freezing cold and I couldn't locate the switch to turn the heating up.

On the plus side, this is fairly well located for both Dublin City and places south such as Dun Laoghaire. The Blackrock Shopping Centre is a few minutes south.

The one decent thing about this place was the Sunday lunch. It cost around 9.00 euro and was really good. Huge servings of vegetables and turkey, ham and or beef meant that I was stuffed for the rest of the day. While the lunch is self service from a carvery, the waiting staff were actually very attentive and empty plates disappeared in moments.

Tara Towers HotelTara Towers Hotel

Kilmainham GaolKilmainham Gaol

Padraic PearsePadraic Pearse

Bus Eireann stop - CorkBus Eireann stop - Cork

Nice Hotel in Dublin

by rosamundi

I will go to Dublin in March and I Would like you advise me about a hotel with good situation , 3 or 4 stars . Please I will stay only 3 days . What is the more important to must visit in Dublin ? Thank you very much

RE: Nice Hotel in Dublin

by david_thomson2007

Tara Towers Hotel is also good choice. This hotel is top ten favorite in Dublin. You might check it from this : http://www.hotelsguru.com/showhotel-4672.html

Tara Towers is a traditional Irish accommodation offering a high level of comfort and good services.

by Ruai

If you're only staying 3 days might be better to be nearer to the city centre. The camden court hotel (www.camdencourthotel.ie) is a reasonably priced 3* within a short walk of the Stephens Green area (Grafton st shopping, restuarants, pubs, historic Trinity College etc). Another central 3* is Jurys Christchurch (www.jurys-dublin-hotels.com/jurysinn_christchurch), which is across the road from Christchurch cathedral, very close to Dublin Castle and to the restaurants and bars of the Temple Bar area as well as more attractive places!

Travel Tips for Dublin

Money matters

by Dabs

Upon arriving at Dublin's airport we picked up our rental car and there was a huge queue for the ATM machine there so I remembered from the previous visit that if we walked outside the terminal and across the street that there was another ATM, no lines there on either visit. None of the ATMS I used anywhere in Ireland charged me a fee for using their bank although I do get charged by my bank back home.

I used my US based ATM card (4 digit) and my US based credit card (no chip), the vendors all seem to know what to do with it, they have to swipe it through their hand held machines at restaurants and shops and if you are purchasing petrol you will probably have to go inside the station to use it so we filled up our rental car the night before just in case the station near Dan Dooley wasn't manned at the hour we were returning the car.

Dublin is part of the Republic of Ireland and uses the Euro as it's currency. If you are heading to Northern Ireland (Belfast, Derry, Giant's Causeway), you will need to use British Pounds.

Essex Bridge

by Kentbein

We'll work our way onto Essex Bridge ( built in 1875) in this set of photgraphs. There was no such thing as Essex, or Grattan Bridge when our Viking friends first arrived back in the eighth century to set up shop here along the banks, but in all probability, Essex Bridge will be here when you arrive, so hopefuly this photograph will give you an idea of the landmark and help you plan your campaign as you set out upon your tour of this great city.

Public Buildings

by Lochlainn

Rainy days are a great incentive to explore Dublin's interiors, and the risk of alcoholic addiction dictates that at least some of this exploration should be conducted in premises other than licenced ones (though we won't fault you if you don't stick to such a heartless dictum!).

As a city we are blessed therefore to have a wealth of opportunity in this regard. Three cathedrals, civic offices which are the product of architectural genius embodied in the likes of James Gandon and William Robinson, and numerous other nooks and crannies which offer way more than mere respite from the odd shower!

The range of experience varies from the classical opulence of Gandon's Custom House and Four Courts to the hectic energy of the Fruit Market on Little Mary Street, and from the medieval hush of Christchurch Cathedral vaults to the equally spiritual ambience of the great glasshouses in the Botanical Gardens, Glasnevin.

Some places are less well known but equally rewarding. Collins Barracks near Heusrton Station is now a branch of the National Museum but is worth a visit for its 18th century cloistered quadrangle alone. Quite different in nature but also worth a visit is the Irish Waterways Interpretative Centre, built on stilts over the water of the Grand Canal Dock off Pearse Street.

The list goes on, and space here does not permit a fully comprehensive listing. But be aware of the most important thing, whichever of these places might take your fancy - all the sites listed above are free to enter!

Look down at the paving

by Kentbein

Dublin has some very interesting paving scattered throughout the city if you look hard enough. Too much of the greatest paving surfaces throughout Dublin have suffered the same fate as someof her nicest buidlings and have been destroyed. Keep your eyes open though, and you'll be rewarded both with sights in the air and on the ground.

Comments