Travelodge Airport Ballymun Dublin

Main St, Ballymun, (formerly Ballymun Plaza), Dublin, County Dublin, 11, Ireland
Travelodge Dublin Airport Ballymun
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Travelodge Airport Ballymun Dublin

Hotel closed down-but new travel lodge was good

by TripAdvisor Member vickym1984

We booked our stay in the begining of April 2008 with octopus.com .

We were most surprised when we turned up at the "ballymun plaza" hotel to find out they had left the premises on 18th april 2008, and the hotel was now a travel lodge,

On top of this, the staff at the reception did not know anything about bookings taken whilst it was still the plaza, to be fair to them though, I feel they had been thrown in at the deep end a bit.

We rang Octopus who were brilliant and explained travel lodge were accepting all the bookings from the plaza, and they arranged it with receiption, so a bit of a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing (ie the travel lodge head office knew they were accepting bookings but hadn't told their staff who actually had to deal with the customers)

The hotel itself was lovely though. Rooms were very clean and spacious. Bathroom was nice, big bath and shower. The ladies on receiption were very helpful as well.

The restaurant inside, although now not affiliated as such with the hotel, served excellent food for breakfast and dinner, and very reasonable prices.

The hotel is very close to the airport with a taxi costing EUR15-20. You can also get a bus into the city centre for EUR 1.50 each way, which I think is a excellent.

There is a Tesco oppisite the hotel, and also a small shopping centre, and a post office.

Overall, except from the trouble we had in actually checking in, the stay was very good, and a much higher standard than I would have expected from a travel lodge.

Could be so much better

by TripAdvisor Member SamanthaF

Stayed here this past weekend. Overall, it's not a bad hotel. Nice and modern, clean and spacious rooms. The neighbourhood (currently) is a bit of a worry. I can see that in 10 years time it will be a hip destination, but at the moment it is a very run down social housing estate with a nice hotel stuck in the middle of it.

The hotel is conveinient for the airport, but it is by no means "Dublin City Centre". Bus stop outside the hotel was useful. Taxi to the city centre costs 15-20 euro.

Annoying (not bad) points.
1. Fire alarm kept going off throughout the night.
2. Hairdryer is fixed to a draw that is far away from the mirror
3. Breakfast, although tasty was chaotic and without organisation. It wasn't clear what you had to do.
4. Only de-caff coffee in the room, when I asked housekeeping for some proper stuff she had to give me the staff personal supply (Exceptionally good of her).
5. The internet PC had a broken return key.
6. The lifts were out of order.

The hotel could benefit by offering a shuttle service to the city centre, and this may attract more people to stay.

Personally, for what I ended up paying in taxis, I would spend a bit extra on a hotel next time and stay in the city centre.

Irish Faulty Towers

by TripAdvisor Member flybye_8

This is a simply furnished, clean, modern hotel, but with very basic faults. Every day we had problems. First room: the large window did not fit it's frame. The first night was very cold, until, the next morning, we found a1/2 inch gap at one side of the window. First move. Second room: after unpacking, we found the TV picture faulty. Despite promises this was never remedied or replaced. Regularly, on returning in the evening, we would find short supplies of towels, or loo rolls (or even tea/coffee), requiring 2-3 phonecalls before the supplies were provided, maybe an hour later. On the morning of our last full day, a porter arrived unannounced "to help us move rooms, to allow plumbing repairs"! They claimed they could not wait one more day for our scheduled departure. Second move: another 2-3 hrs wasted, for one night. Third room: after unpacking, again, not enough towels, and the bathroom door was very difficult to close! No radio, so for the last morning we asked (3x) for an early alarm call. Unsurprisingly, it did not materialize. At the end of our "relaxing" 6 day "holiday", we were in fact stressed. Management tried to make up for the overall faults and inefficiencies by providing a free dinner on our last night and free breakfast on the last morning, but the damage was done. I have been to many hotels worldwide, and in no way would I rate this hotel as 4 star.

Instant cofee !!

by TripAdvisor Member EmsmumDublin

I havent stayed overnight in this hotel but i work quite close to this area and sometimes meet colleagues there before going to meetings etc.

My experience of the restaurant/bar area has been that the staff seem more interested in chatting to each other than serving customers . Ive always had at least a 10 minute wait even when its really quiet . On my last visit there I ordered a black coffee priced at almost 3 euro. Although the hotel has up to the minute coffee machines, I was shocked to see the waitress spoon instant coffee into the pot !! Perhaps the machines were out of order but to charge almost 3 euro is disgraceful

Was I in Dublin or Beirut

by TripAdvisor Member LilJCheshire

The location of this hotel is in a very run down area of Ireland, the surroundings where more like Beirut than a district of Dublin. It was situated close to the airport but is far from ideal if you want to wander into Dublin Centre. There are no restaurants or pubs nearby and the area is such that I would not have contemplated walking around for fear of my safety. That said the hotel is new and the room was very nice although it was a family room yet there was only one chair to accompany the table. Part way through booking in the receptionist started dealing with another customer who had come to complain that he had booked a room with WiFi access but it was not working and I was left hanging around whilst she dealt with that complaint. Eventually I had to interject otherwise I would have been left there a lot longer. You need your room key to operate the lift, this was not explained by staff and had it not been for other guests we would have been locked in it. As we stayed 2 nights the room key would not operate the lift on the second day as it had ‘lost its charge’. The card had to be reprogrammed on the second day; again the staff should have informed us about that. Finally, the hairdryer cut out during use and would only work after it had cooled down, considering it had only been used a couple of minutes my wife hadn’t finished her hair and it took her 3 attempts to finish it. Handy if you have a short stopover to or from airport as they have a secure underground car park but not somewhere to stay if you are thinking of a stay any longer than overnight.

Wouldn't recommend it.

by TripAdvisor Member Dee019

The surroundings of this Hotel are nothing to be desired. When we arrived the area had groups of people hanging about the Hotel in their pj's.

The receptionist was friendly upon arrival. The rooms were lovely, clean and well decorated. We were disappointed by the fact that our television set only had one working channel, we had to ask for extra tea cups,as we only had one in a family room. We had to plead and beg for towels. They were not in our room upon arrival, we arrived in the evening. Very unprofessional. When we asked for towels, we received sarcastic remarks and were told, that it was a very big Hotel.

We didn't have breakfast, as despite the fact that our internet payment slip said that ''Breakfast was included'', it turned out that we would have to pay, for it anyway.

I'm glad we only stayed one night, and I'm grateful for the underground car park- it made me feel safer.

Good Hotel, so so area!

We stayed here for two nights last week. Booking through Travelodge it was a very reasonable €59 for the room, which is considerably cheaper then anything else we could find near Dublin Airport. The hotel is easy to find, and never having been to Ballymun before I was anxious to see the famous regeneration project..(and a peak at the half built Ikea..oh happy days!).

The hotel is in a dodgy enough area, but there is a secure parking which we used. The direct area of the hotel is fine, well lit and has a few bars, takeaways etc. It's not really bad, it's just that aound the corner your confronted with the original and notorious Ballymun flats, still obviously lived in and not very appealing. Plenty of Police patrols as well, but we didn't have any worries once we stuck to the Main thouroughfare and the immediate area of the hotel.

Staff very friendly on check in.

The room was modern, clean, great beds, and lovley spacious bathroom. There was a bit of noise from the M1 but not enough to bother you. No aircon that we could find, so I 'd imagine it could get stuffy if you kept the windows closed. We actually found them hard to open, but it was a cool night so we just left them shut.

We didn't bother with breakfast as we had an early meeting both mornings.

Overall, it's a decent, value for money hote, if you can tolerate the area until the regeneration is complete.

Great hotel near the city centre

by TripAdvisor Member Mandy_Dave

We really enjoyed this hotel. It was brand new and very clean, and we felt very welcome by the lovely staff.

The hotel is very easy to find from Dublin airport. The area isn't the best but you can see that it is being regenerated, and if you go out of the hotel there are a number of shops and takeaways which are great value. The locals were extremely friendly, and we enjoyed the local bar in the shopping centre.

Dublin city centre is easy on the 4 or 13A bus which stops right outside the hotel. It costs 1 euro 50, but have the right change with you as buses don't give change. The bus ride is about 15 minutes and stops right on O'Connell Street.

The hotel is lovely, really clean with great staff. Our room was bright and airy, with a huge bathroom and floor to ceiling windows. It was serviced every day, so we always had fresh towels etc, and the appliances were obviously brand new.

Our one and only gripe was breakfast in the restaurant. We ate twice in the evening and found the service and the food to be excellent. However, breakfast is advertised as being served from 7-11 Mon to Fri, and 7-12 Sat and Sun. At 10.30am Friday morning, we went downstairs to have breakfast, and were chastised for being 'late'. We asked the staff why we were late when breakfast was advertised until 11, but the response was fairly aggressive and not welcoming so we didn't stay. This is a very small complaint however, and the rest of the time we were treated with courtesy.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel as a base in Dublin. There is underground secure parking and good links to the city centre, and the hotel itself is very comfortable.

really bad service

by TripAdvisor Member tydechambeau

When we arrived we had to wait in line for almost 30 minutes to get helped (even though there was another person behind the counter who could have started another line). Both of the computers in the lobby (that were for customer use) were broken and we needed to check out email to organize our next days plans. So then we asked if they had wireless and they said they did not.
We got to the room, which was nice, but noticed that there wasn't an alarm clock in the room. We tried to call down to the front desk to ask for a wake up call but no one would answer the phone. So i walked down to the desk and asked for a wake up call and they replied by saying, "we don't do wake up calls". I was shocked! What hotel next to the airport doesn't do wake up calls, especially when they have 24 hour desk service??!
So we had a terrible nights sleep because we had to be up at 3:30 AM to catch our flight and had no alarm. When we did get up at 3:30 AM we got in the shower and there was no hot water! I guess that was our wake up call after all....so cold!
To say the least, it was a very disappointing stay, but i guess that is what you get for 79 Euro in Dublin. Please take this into consideration before staying there.

Worth it for the price

by TripAdvisor Member UKReviewer3

As others have said, the hotel is in the middle of a 'regeneration project' but it's no real problem as you would realistically only stay here with the expectation that you have to go to the city centre itself to do anything of interest. The buses are very frequent - every ten minutes - and I found the taxis less expensive than others have said. I only paid €14 for a ride from the city centre at 2am on a Bank Holiday Monday.

Some restaurant staff were excellent, others less so. We had to chase up orders a few times even when it was very quiet, which was strange. The food was above average and very reasonably priced - we often had the breakfast bagel in the morning, which was very filling and only €5.95. For a Travelodge, or indeed any hotel, this is good value.

The counter staff were always polite but not always as efficient as you might hope. Again, this varied depending on who was on duty - one receptionist was very helpful when I highlighted a problem with the room, but a previous one had just vaguely said that it would be fixed that day (it hadn't been). The only other problem was the time it took to check in. We arrived at about 2.30, and I would have happily paid to €10 to check in early as I was so tired. But I was told that this would be impossible as they were switching shifts and it would take them half an hour to do so - odd. When 3pm came around only one member of staff was checking people in while two others scurried around stapling documents, doing their best not to acknowledge us as we waited while a group of four slooooowly got their keys.

Nevertheless, I was really impressed by the overall friendliness of the staff and condition of the hotel. The rooms were clean and a decent size, while we had fresh towels daily. The bathroom was very nice. I wish that the windows opened further though, and my boyfriend was disturbed by the traffic noise.

For the €59 that we paid a night, I was very pleased with the hotel.

Comments