Twelfth Lock Hotel

Baked Pane FormaggioBaked Pane Formaggio

DoolinDoolin

Wicklow way

by hikeup

My wife and I will be traveling to Ireland and part of our travels will take us to the Wicklow way. We would like to walk the way and stay in B&B's or motels each night.

1) Do we need reservations in early june or can we walk as far as we want and then get a place.
2) We like to have some drinks after our walks and was wondering if all the villages along the way have pubs.
3) Could you reconmend your favorite villages.

Thanks

Re: Wicklow way

by nada1712

There are loads of little towns and villages in co Wicklow. I like Blessington maybe because I had a good time there. The Irish are so friendly and nice they always have time to talk! I would reserve. Why don't you look at the Alister Sawday site for B&Bs in Ireland. You will not go wrong.I use AS alot and we have always had excellent B&Bs

Re: Wicklow way

by alan1972

The Wicklow Way doesn't actually pass through many villages - most of them are a few kilometres away from the trail itself. That can add a fair few extra miles to your daily walking distance - although it may be possible to arrange for some B+B owners to collect you from the main trail.

Of the villages I know near the Way, there are lots of pubs in Enniskerry, Roundwood, Laragh, and Rathdrum. I don't really know the southern half of the route but I believe Tinahely would also have several places to eat and drink.

If you haven't already seen it, the site www.wicklowway.com has detailed information about B+B's and how far they are from the trail and from nearby villages. There is also a "towns and villages" section detailing the facilities in each place.

I'm not sure about booking, but I would guess that as some parts of the route have very little choice of accommodation it might be a good idea, especially over the weekend as quite a few people from Dublin walk parts of the way at weekends. But really I'm just guessing here.

(By the way Blessington, mentioned by a previous poster, is nowhere near the Wicklow Way).

Travel Tips for Dublin

"Trinity College"

by C.GOROSTIAGA

At the centre of Dublin, just a couple of blocks south of O'Connell Bridge, Trinity College opens its gates to students, visitors and tourists. Queen Elizabeth I established Trinity in 1591 as an Irish academic centre for the Protestants.
In a sparsely lighted room, the incomparable hand writings Book of Kells, Book of Durrow and Book of Armagh are kept well protected in temperature and moisture controlled exhibition cases. Book of Kells contains a Latin version of the four gospels. It was written and illuminated during the 8th century. I felt an irresistible urge to touch the old parchment pages that the monks of Iona had decorated with such artistic style in their monastery scriptorium. But the protective glass kept my eager fingers away.
The Long Room is a library with more than 200 000 of the college's oldest volumes. The bookshelves are organized in two floors all the way up to the ceiling. My mind lingered in a sympathetic imagination of the librarians who, on a ladder not more than two feet wide, had to balance the heavy volumes 25 feet above the floor.

Visit Howth. A small fishing...

by susanf_ire

Visit Howth. A small fishing village approx. 12km from Dublin city. On the DART train route (Dublin area rapid transport). Attractive village with marina at seafront. A couple of very good seafood restaurants and numerous bars with regular, typical Irish music sessions. The People.

Looking East along the Quays

by Kentbein

To further orient you, this photo was taken on the Essex Bridge looking east along the Quay. (North is to the left of the page.) In the center of the page is the famous newly restored and beloved, Ha Penny Bridge.

Crossing to the south of the Ha Penny leads you into Lochlainn's dreaded Temple Bar area. It's not quite as forbidding as he makes it sound, but just as a note I did stear clear of it's over priced pubs. It's still an interesting walk, so don't be too discouraged by Marc's comments and try avoiding it entirely. It's not a bad place. There's a lot more Dublin than this area though, so don't pitch camp here and explore no further. I'll include more of the area between Christchurch and Temple Bar farther into these pages.

Walking north from the Ha Penny takes you up Liffey Street and onto Henry Street, where you can stroll into the markets or continue east onto O'Connell Street. There's also a gem of a walk towards the west through the Wholesale fruit and vegetable markets along Mary's Lane. I'll show details of that area as well.

I'll show some details of the colorful blue and yellow storefronts seen in the left foreground later on in these pages when I get to the north side of the Liffey, and a larger detail of the yellow building (The Winding Stair) facing the Ha Penny Bridge.

Far along down river in the photograph, center of the page you will see (if your computer resolution is strong enough) the green (weathererd copper) dome of James Gandon's Custom House. This is a grand old building built in 1791. Be sure to read Lochlainn's very fascinating information about this building. I'll show you some of its photo details later to accompany his writings. After my initial orientation in these first two photographs, I'll more or less follow the historical foundings of the city. I'll travel across the Essex Bridge and then continue up Lord Edward Street into Christchurch. This is a grand area of Dublin and well worth the highlight of the first day's visit.

Dublin is a fascinating city, full of interesting sites, exemplary history, and marvelous people. I love this place.

Hiking in KILLENEY HILLS

by Antji

KILLENEY HILLS - Make a trip with Dart or bus in the villages north of Dublin - Dun Laghaire - Killeney - Bray and Greystone! I made this tour on one day and I hiked in the Killeney Hills (between Dun Laghaire and Killeney - excellent view and natural ways) and from Bray to Greystone (Cliffwalk - but on the one side you will see the mountains and on the other side the abyss and the sea) It´s a little bit stress to make this tour on one day but I can recommend it!

National Botanic...

by kathycollins

National Botanic Gardens
Glasnevin, Dublin 9.
Tel: +353 1 8377596 / 8374388.
Fax: +353 1 8360080.
Opening Hours: Open all year. Summer: Mon–Sat 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Sun 11:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Winter : Mon–Sat 10:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Sun 11:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Closed Christmas Day.
Admission: Free. Guide leaflets at gate 25p. Souvenir Guide £2.50.
How to get there: Buses: 13, 19 (O’Connell Street), 134 (Middle Abbey Street). THE National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, founded by the Royal Dublin Society in 1795, is now administered by the Department of Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht. The Gardens, 19.5 hectares on the south bank of the Tolka, contain many attractive features including: an arboretum, rock garden and burren areas, large pond, extensive herbaceous borders, student garden and annual display of decorative plants including a rare example of Victorian carpet bedding. Glasshouses include: the beautifully restored curvilinear range designed and built by Richard Turner between 1843 and 1869, large palm house, new alpine house and the complex for ferns, tropical water plants and succulents.

Comments