Waltons Hotel

2-5 North Frederick Street, Dublin, County Dublin, 1, Ireland

More about Waltons Hotel

St. Patricks Festival 2006

by Benissimo

"Clontarf Castle Hotel, Dublin Ireland"

This was by far the *best* hotel I have ever stayed in, hands down.

"Temple Bar"

I love the atmosphere of area of Dublin which was captured very nicely in this pic.

"St. Patricks Day, Dublin Ireland"

Yes, I was p**s drunk enjoying the Guinness throughout the day and hooting it up with local Dubliners.

Cheers

Samuel Beckett BridgeSamuel Beckett Bridge

Select your drinkSelect your drink

Street Performer on Grafton StreetStreet Performer on Grafton Street

Me and my son at the Hairy LemonMe and my son at the Hairy Lemon

New Year's Eve in Dublin

by MrsDM

Four of us (two 50-somethings/two 20-somethings) are looking for what to do in Dublin on New Year's Eve. We don't need big or fancy parties, just looking for a place/places to be. We are staying near Temple Bar, but wouldn't mind being off the beaten path that night. We have an early (6 a.m.) flight back to the U.S,so also not looking to be too far afield. Any suggestions? Thank you.

by xymmot

try kissing and holding hands all nite long in the main square. Cheers Tommy x

by annemariebyrne

In Dublin it's traditional to go to Christchurch cathedral to hear the bells at midnight on New Year's Eve. It's a big street party with lots of drinking and revellery and might be a bit too raucous for you if you want something 'off the beaten track' but if you have a 6am flight you'll have to leave the city centre at about 3am so maybe the best thing to do would be to stay up and join in a big party.(You won't get much chance of sleep in Temple Bar on that night anyway!).

by MrsDM

I think both of your ideas are just the ticket! Thank you. Is it okay to crack open a bottle of champagne when the bells start ringing or will we end up having to postpone our flight home until we are bailed out of jail? :)

by xymmot

Of course it is okay to open yours when they open theirs. Remember sharing is caring. Cheers Tommy x

by Waoife

Not quite sure where our "main square" is - maybe Tommy means College Green. I agree with the Christchurch idea - assuming it's not too cold or (even more likely!!!!) wet. It's only about a 10 minute walk from the Temple Bar area so it would be easy for you to get too. Also, I wouldn't bother booking a hotel room in Temple Bar for that night - the area will be extremely noisy and you'll only get about 2 hours sleep (with earplugs!) at best anyhow if you've got a 6.00am flight back home.

No problem with drinking champagne at Christchurch although you may have plenty of people offering to help you drink it ;-P

Travel Tips for Dublin

There are thousands of great...

by annasi

There are thousands of great pubs to visit and you abosolutely must taste Guinness :):):)

Hey it was ok! I drank one pint in the Paddys day and it really was good. Now I'm really proud of myself ;)

Temple Bar- Why we Love it II

by Buckz

Pubs- Farringtons, Foggy Dew, The Palace, Isoldes Tower (bit different)
Fitzsimons & the temple Bar (stag/hen party ish)
The Quays- Imitation Irish pub. Good imitation though.
Ha-penny Inn, great comedy nights.
The Auld Dubliner/Oliver Synge Gogarty, standard touristy.
Coffee Joy of Coffee, (watch out for the strange dude!) Coffee shop on the plaza, or, leave the plaza at trastevere, take the next right (around Luigi Malones) and there are a few nice coffee shops in a row.
Restaurants- loads, touristy and untouched by non natives.... from ke babs to quality cuisine. Mongolian BarBQ, the Cedar Tree, Tante Zoes, and a selection of Asian restaurants, one better than the next.

Temple Bar is in the heart of the city, and in the Afternoons and evenings it is the heart of the city.

Learn what Gaelic football is...

by oja

Learn what Gaelic football is all about! It's neither standard nor American football, but a kind of crossover - a game of its own. It's undoubtedly THE sport of Ireland.
My second fondest memory of Dublin concerns All Ireland day, the national Gaelic footbal finals. I was really lucky to find myself around in mid-September when this unique event takes place. In 1996 it were the teams of counties Meath and Mayo who made it to the finals, and since my boyfriend was originally from Mayo you can imagine how quickly I caught the fever! If you think it was just the 'standard' supporters of the teams who cared about it, you can't be more wrong. It's indeed a matter of the nation and a central event for every single inhabitant of the two counties in question. What I witnessed in Dublin on the day of the match was a family reunion, the kind you usually see only on weddings and funerals. And since Irish families are still big, one could almost talk about a clan gathering. :) Every pub and hotel lounge was so crowded that you could hardly set foot inside. Watching the match was a metaphysical event in its finest - I truly believe Dublin's heart missed a beat every time one of the teams scored. The match ended with a draw, which meant a replay two weeks later. This time my boyfriend and me got tickets for Croke Park, the stadion where the match was held (don't ask me how we could do that, I still don't know!), and that was even grander. I waved a Mayo flag and fit in perfectly all the way down to the heartbroken expression on my face when our team lost. I won't ever forget my All Ireland even if I live for thousand years!

Smoking Ban

by IrishFem

Ireland became the first country in Europe on March 29th, 2004 to impose an outright ban on smoking in workplaces. The Irish legislation makes it an offence to smoke in workplaces, in pubs and restaurants. Most of the pubs now have an outdoor area for smokers. Just under 25% of the Irish population smoke and the purpose of this ban is to offer protection to employees and the public who are exposed to the harmful and toxic effects of tobacco smoke in the workplace. Smoking has been identified as a major cause of heart disease and a significant contributor to lung cancer in Ireland. There are a few exceptions to this rule. The following places allow smoking.
Police station detention areas