Old Monivea Rd, Ballybrit, Ireland

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Clayton Hotel

A treat to stay in

by TripAdvisor Member eonIreland

we attended a friends wedding and i must say what a pleasurable experience, check in was a no fuss affair, very quick and hassle free. the hotel itself is fab, the rooms are quiet spacious, we were provided with 2 huge queen size beds, which were like sleeping on clouds!!So comfortable ( after only booking a reg double at no extra charge), the bathroom is so modern. the best of everything was provided. a great place to stay for any occasion esp for the famous galway races which was only a five min walk! will definately stay again. well deserving of it's 4 * status.

Nice stay at the Clayton

Stayed in the Clayton with some friends for 2 nites in early July. I would have to say that the Clayton is a very solid 4 star hotel. We arrived early on the Friday, as we were travelling from London and arrived in Galway airport at 11.30 am. The hotel was only 5 minutes away, but they had no problem with our early check-in.

Even though the hotel is next to a busy dual carriage way, it is an attractive hotel; the lobby is striking, with lots of glass; the rooms quite luxurious and spacious..ours had 2 double beds, with a walk in wardrobe area and large bathroom.

Room service was instant, almost.. The food in the bar was excellent and efficient, and it was very busy at lunchtime, which is a good sign. The hotel had a decent pool, a little small, with sauna and steam room..it was a pity they didnt have a jacuzzi though, and the fitness room just had a few threadmills and rowing machines..Breakfast each morning was fine, with a good selection.

One thing, the lobby was very cold, both in daytime and night, so i would recommend the hotel investing in some heating there.!

All in all we had a great stay in the Clayton and would have no problem recommending it.

lovely rooms

by TripAdvisor Member carmelbCoMayo

I stayed at this hotel for one night and would have no problems staying there again. Rooms are lovely and spacious and even though it is near a busy roundabout the windows are very soundproof. A marquee was been erected beside the hotel, I presume it was for the Galway races. Hotel was very busy with lots of german tourists. Reception and bar staff very friendly and efficient. Only downside to this stay was the terrible bar food, I expected more from a hotel of this standard. Overall a lovely hotel with beds to die for, so comfortable.

Some plusses, but too many minuses

by TripAdvisor Member Commodore

Another business trip to Galway and another hotel. Unfortunately, I fear this was probably the worst one so far.

Location: If you’re on a business trip to Parkmore Business Park, as I was, or in Galway for the races, it’s hard to fault the location since the Business Park and the racecourse are both within walking distance. A small shopping centre, including a supermarket and pharmacy, is also conveniently close. However, the city centre is some distance away. With only limited public transport available, you’ll probably need a car or you’ll have to resort to taxis.

Accommodation and facilities: The hotel layout is awkward and confusing. The rooms are a mixture of good and bad. Mine was comfortable and well-appointed – the bed, in particular, was great - but the air conditioning was inexplicably loud and the walls flimsy, so that one could hear more of what was going on in neighbouring rooms than was desirable.

Parts of the hotel were in a state of some disrepair, which is odd, given the newness if the place. The worst example was a pipe in the underground car park, which leaked water the whole time I was there, with nobody apparently doing anything about it. The fitness room and pool were fine for my purposes, but anyone wanting to pump iron was out of luck.

Catering: Of the food on offer in the rather charmless restaurant, I only sampled breakfast. The buffet selection was adequate, if not particularly exciting. The bar was pleasant and well laid-out.

Staff in the bar and on reception were generally friendly and approachable, if not very well organized, but, with a couple of honourable exceptions, those in the restaurant and taciturn, to put it kindly – the main reason, in fact, why breakfast was the only meal I took there.

Finally, if security and safety are issues you worry about, you might be disturbed by the practice here of propping fire doors open, including those leading outside. Doubtless it makes it easier for staff and guests to lug heavy luggage through the long corridors, but it does defeat the point …

Unhappy

by TripAdvisor Member Jerseygirl4515

We had aproblem with the plumbing in the bathroom. We reported about the issue to the management. We returned in the evening to the same problem. They downgraded our room from a king to a queen when the problem couldn't be fixed.
The food was less than appealing. We traveled with a tour and were subjected to its poor quality for two days.

Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member MissT8

stayed here past three nights and had a great time. the rooms are clean and modern. our room was besdie the dual carriageway but we didnt notice the noise. the beds were really comfortable and the bathroom was really good. we ate in the eclosure bar one night was good food. very busy. wine good value as well. was a comfortable bar and enviornment. the breakfast was great every morning with a large selection and plenty of food. the staff were pleasant as well. over all excellent hotel for a short trip. is bit out of the city. a taxi is 10 euro to the city.

Excellent hotel and service

by TripAdvisor Member Dog_Pog

I stayed at the Clayton on business and my stay was a pleasure. The rooms were lovely with amazing comfy beds, decent sized rooms and a spotless bathroom. The staff were genuinely friendly and so helpful to any queries we had. The pool and gym areas were also very clean.

There is a selection of places to eat, we tried the enclosure bar which was really nice, there is also a more formal restaurant.

I will definately stay here again, it's really close to the airport but a bit far from town. There is however, a regular bus service into Galway centre from right outside the hotel for €1.45. I was working at the airport so perfect location for me.

I have absolutely no complains about this hotel and was very impressed with the staff.

Best place i have ever stayed in..

by TripAdvisor Member Grace123456

Myself and my boyfriend went to stay at the Clayton for a weekend in November.First of all when i rang up looking for a rate i was shocked to hear that for 2 B&B and 1 dinner was €218.
I couldn't believe it. When we got to the hotel the staff at the front desk were more than helpful. We went to our room and it was beautiful. We then went down to the bar for a relaxing drink and it was also lovely. The food in the hotel was fantastic also and the restaurant staff were lovely.The only minus would be the leisure centre opening hours.You have to be up early to fit in breakfast and a swin as it closes until 4 in the afternoon.We are returning on the 14th of Feb for a night and i'm looking forward to it already.

Fabulous !!

by TripAdvisor Member Sassywall

Stayed in the clayton hotel for two nights last weekend.. Had a brilliant time..
The hotel is fabulous and all the staff were so nice apart from one girl in the bar didn't get her name, she has red coloured hair, but she was extremly rude and didn seem bothered about serving us.
However that wouldn't put me off going back !!
Enjoyed it so much i will definetle be going back !
The food served was delicious.
Got room service for breakfast and it was lovely bang on time and everything piping hot.
Loved the look of the hotel as soon as i seen it with its bright changing coloured lights.
Not far from the town centre and there is a shoppping centre directly accross the road if you need anything !
The bed was out of tis world !
I read reviews about peoplpe saying it was the comfiest ever and a totally agree.
It was like sleeping on a cloud !
The rooms are a good size too.

Want to thank everyone at the clayton..

Looking forward to my next stay there which will be soon !! (:

Highly recommendable

by TripAdvisor Member Fosters-MK

Stayed at the Clayton Hotel for a long romantic weekend in Galway last May and i so much loved it! Room was very spacious, had a king-king-size bed, very modern and elegant such as the whole hotel, and had all amenities you can just think or dream of...
Breakfast was also very rich and international, not just the Irish black pudding and blubbery pork sausages...
I cannot imagine of only one thing i disliked when staying at that hotel! No doubt, this was my favourite hotel so far! Well worth every single cent!!!

Comments