Bearna Village, Barna, Ireland

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about The Twelve Hotel

twelve for the Twelve

by TripAdvisor Member pmanont

My husband and I and our two young children recently had the pleasure of staying at The Twelve hotel on our holiday. When I booked the holiday we were a little apprehensive, because the hotel had only been operating for a few months and we were worried that all would not be up and running. Our worries were completely unfounded. From the moment we arrived we realized we made the right decision to stay at The Twelve. After a long flight from Canada we were warmly greeted and the staff was very accommodating. My previous career was in the travel industry and I have travelled extensively worldwide and done many hotel inspections. I was thrilled to have found this gem. The rooms are beautiful with all the amenities that one expects to find in a first class hotel, We couldn't get over the spaciousness of the rooms, especially for European standards. Breakfast was included and we were completely surprised by the choices that were spread out in front of us. The service was incredible and we got to know some of the morning servers well. We got quite emotional having to say goodbye. We felt like we were part of a family. We had a few lunches and dinners at The Pins and enjoyed the afternoon tea tremendously. The food was very good and good value for your money. Couldn't find anything like it elsewhere. Unfortunately we didn't have an opportunity to dine at West restaurant, but heard from other guests that it is a must. We'll just have to go back which we are definitely going to do next year. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for luxury, comfort, friendliness and good food. You may never want to leave.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member disneyfansWicklow

Stayed here while visiting my daughter in the Gaeltacht. Room was stunning and very comfortable with plenty of room for two adults and one child. Big Plasma TV with DVD player - there is a library of DVDs at reception - just ask. Bathroom was huge with fab mood lighting, all the lotions and potions were organic and devine to use.

Restaurant was the best we have visited in a long time with fab food and great service. The staff were most attentive to detail.

Breakfast included in the rate was great lots of good fresh food - with excellent pancakes - yummy.

The staff throughout this hotel are brilliant and get back to any query you have very promptly

I could not rate this hotel higher!

12 out of 10!!

by TripAdvisor Member Travellers2007

Stayed with this hotel with my husband and family for my 30th birthday
and what a treat it was!

This hotel is beautifully appointed and very reasonably priced. We have stayed in the G and can see that it is similarly decorated – but a quarter of the price. It originally was the Twelve Pins, but was raised to the ground a couple of years back, so it is relatively new, modern and very trendy.

High points:
-Check and check out were painless as we were attended to by efficient, helpful and friendly staff. We were shown to our rooms and given a summary of useful information re the personal phone system etc.
-The rooms are beautifully decorated and are equipped with all the mod cons needed and more! (Including an ipod docking station, air conditioning, plasma TV and DVD player and a coffee making machine!).
-We booked into a suite which consisted of the bedroom, bathroom and separate living quarters. The room was really spacious and the living area was kitted out with a drinks cabinet, big fridge, sink, microwave and great selection of glasses etc.
-The beds were huge, feathered quilt and pillows which were extremely comfortable.
-Bathrobe and slippers were supplied.
-Separate fridge in the bedroom and the mini bar was stocked with a great selection of beverages and nibbles including my favorite Peroni beer!
-There was an electronic safe in the room.
-The bathroom was spectacular equipped with lights which changed colour! The shower had a watering can shower head and the pressure was good. Again, the bathroom was kitted out to a very high spec and there was a great supply of high quality toiletries (full sized bottles as opposed to sample sizes).
-The bedrooms were separated by a door and private hallway from the main corridor, 2 rooms per door and hallway. This meant that the sound proofing was greatly improved and you were not subject to doors banging etc.
-Our experience with the staff was second to none as nothing seemed to be too much trouble and they went out of their way to under promise whilst over delivering. Personal touches included a hand written, personally addressed welcome card and big box of handmade chocolates. Chocolates were also delivered nightly as part of the turndown service.
-Whilst the selection for the breakfast wasn’t the best we have ever experienced, the full Irish was cooked to order meaning that it was really fresh. It was really tasty included sausages, rashers, eggs, beans, sautéed mushrooms, onions and potatoes and toast.
-Underground parking provided for guests with easy access lifts.
-Lively, trendy hotel bar (The Pins) which seems to attract locals as well as residents. Great selection of cocktails available (it does take them an age to make them, but they are worth the wait!).
-On Saturday night we were offered an extra nights accommodation at a knock down price of €30 per head B+B!! Unfortunately we couldn’t avail
of it, but what a deal!

Possible points to consider
-The hotel in is in Barna which is approximately 8 kms from Galway city. Taxis are readily available and we were charged a max of €18 to carry five of us on a Saturday night.
-Other than breakfast we didn’t eat in the hotel. There are two other good restaurants in Barna, Donnelly’s (directly across the road) and O’Grady’s on the pier, possibly one of the best seafood restaurants in Galway.
-All the rooms are non smoking, but some of the rooms have a balcony and they seem happy enough for you to smoke out there.
-That’s it!!

We will definitely be returning to this hotel as it was definitely the icing and cherry on the cake for a special occasion. Would we recommend it…..without a shadow of a doubt!

A Perfect Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Mov_Cork

I stayed in this hotel last weekend (a Saturday night) and I honestly don't have one bad thing to say about it. It was further from Galway than I initially thought but being away from it all was part of the charm.

We stayed in a Luxury Suite which was everything it promised to be - spacious suite, comfortable bed, wet bar, bathrobes, slippers etc. The lcd tvs and dvd players in the room were great although there isn't a great selection of movies in reception so it might be an idea to bring a few of your own.

That night we went down to the bar where they had some live jazz music. They played a lot of Frank Sinatra style music and, as the bar was quite busy, there was a great atmosphere.

I didn't go to the restaurant there (we decided to avail of the chipper around the corner instead) but the breakfast (which they serve until 11) was great. Fresh pasteries from the hotels' bakery and a very impressive full Irish breakfast.

I absolutely loved this hotel and would highly recommend it.

'Big Fish - Little Pond' Syndrome

by TripAdvisor Member Meath4Foodie

I had high expectations prior to my stay at The Twelve, but unfortunately it didn't quite live up to the hype.
My partner and I stayed in one of the suites and admittedly the bedrooms are definitely the high point. Decor and furnishings were beautiful and the king size bed very comfortable. The mini-kitchen/wet bar area was spacious and the bathroom of a 4* standard. However, that is where the positives end.
I agree with the other reviewer who pointed out that gimmicky lighting in the bathrooms etc. do not a 4* hotel make - especially when the basics such as room-service, staffing and cleaning of rooms do not seem to be a priority.
I mean, they do not provide a cooked breakfast as part of a room-service breakfast and because there are coffee and tea making facilities in the room, they will not supply these with your 'continental' type breakfast either! Madness!
Also, we arrived back to our room after 3pm after our first nights stay and our room had still not been serviced. We brought this to the attention of reception and while they were somewhat
apologetic, at 4 pm the room was still not finished.
As regards the food, well it was average, a bit bland and uninspired really.
Staff were helpful, but lacking in warmth. I almost felt that I should be thanking them for letting me stay in their wonderful hotel!
This could be a great hotel but is trying way too hard on one level and not hard enough when it comes to the basics.
And a word of warning, be prepared for interrogation by the night staff if you arrive back after a certain hour. I know for security reasons staff need to be vigilant, but the two gentlemen who dealt with us treated us like potential thieves! Extremely unprofessional.
Unsurprisingly, I won't be staying at 'The Twelve' again.

over rated/overpriced....forget it..

by TripAdvisor Member everlovin

Where do I begin.Having driven from Dublin on a Friday afternoon ... 4 hrs..we arrived at 18.30 and the receptionist couldnt find our booking and when we got to our "luxury suite"having been walked there we entered an igloo.The room was freezing and had a central heating system which is controlled by the computer in the reception.It was turned on by the escorter and half an hour later was still blowing cold air into an already freezing room.Our key on arrival back to the hotel wouldnt scan and we were made feel as if we had never stayed in a hotel before.With regards to the food/service all I can say is be prepared to wait.We had to ask for the table to be wiped, which was done....onto the floor! and had to get up and find someone to get a menu or any sort of service.Most of the waiting staff are foreign and found it difficult to understand a tea and scones for two!!Dont get me started on the bar staff and the drinks mix ups.We were offered a bottle of wine on the house which we are still waiting for and for 180EUR per night this is so overpriced.They are trying to be like the g hotel which they aint.

Disappointed by the Twelve

by TripAdvisor Member Sunalpbeampine

Though very trendy, spotlessly clean and modern, the Twelve lacks the atmosphere & comfort that I was expecting.The only place to relax apart from the room is the very busy & noisy public bar which open plans onto the dining area. The bar is very popular with locals to the point where there is little space for guests. To create an appropriate bar atmosphere, the dining area is underlit to the point where on a winters morning, you cannot see what you are eating for breakfast. The bedroom was very smart, but again badly underlit, you couldn't possibly read a book in bed. The fire alarm went off at twice 2 AM and after getting dressed and walking down to the foyer, the place was deserted. I searched the entire ground floor of the hotel and couldn't find one member of staff. I won't be going back.

Perfect getaway

by TripAdvisor Member weebrid

I was greatly shocked to see the poor reviews left by Tripadvisors about this Hotel. I stayed in 'The Twelve' at the end of November for a weekend break with my boyfriend and we absolutely loved it.
Check in was quick with minimal form filling and we were led to our room by the receptionist who pointed out all the rooms relevant bits and pieces. The room itself was beautiful, from the dark hardwood floors to the soft velvety sofas. On Friday night we went into Galway city, which was only €12 in a taxi.
We found the food in the hotel to be of an excellent standard, from breakfast in the informal dining area, to our dinner in the more elegant, West restaurant.
Unlike other hotel bars, the bar had a lively atmosphere and was always busy. Donnelly's, directly across the road is a great little pub too.
I would not hesitate to recommend this Hotel.

fab hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Dublady

I cant say enough good things about this hotel. The decor is great-really modern. The food in the restaurant "West" is very nice. Usually in irish hotels the staff are an issue, but here I believe the staff are one of the best attractions as they are extremely polite and actually go out of their way to help you. I would definitley recommend this hotel and will be going back next year

Barna, Galway, Ireland

by mylesnag

"Barna Village"

5 kms from Galway city, westwards on the coast road, Barna was for 50 years a sleepy little hamlet and is the gateway to western Connemara. Barna now hosts some 1,000 residents and boasts a handsome new Hotel, 'the Twelve Hotel' which caters for visitors and locals alike, with great food, drink and catering facilities. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. Other Barna businesses include Donnellys Bar and Restaurant (great food all day), O'Grady's Seafood Restaurant on the pier in Barna harbour (primo seafood and stunning view of Galway Bay), Barna Gifts, where Regina chooses really great clothing and traditional and contemporary gifts. Clarkes Supervalu Supermarket, open 8-9, 7 days, great wine selection. Barna Golf Club is an 18-hole park course with super views of the bay.

"The Sea"

Barna on Galway Bay, faces the Atlantic, and the Burren-capped coast of Clare with Black-head and the Aran Islands in the distance. The little harbour has an angled pier which safeguards the sheltering boats. Silverstrand beach is great for a walk or a swim and the Barna woods make for a leisurely stroll protected from the south-west winds coming in from the sea. Salthill prom and the diving boards at Blackrock are but 2 miles east from Barna and wind-surfing and kite-surfing at Rusheen Bay are a sight to behold on a windy day.

"The Bog"

Barna is set on the seashore, below the Connemara escarpment that rises some 500 feet as you drift inland towards Moycullen and west to Spideal. Ancient Granite and Limestone plains are covered by the ubiquitious blanket bogs of Connemara. Turf was once saved here for use as fuel for the open fires in the thatched cottages (now rare), but nowadays the bogs are protected and are a safe habitat for flora and fauna alike. Pheasants, frogs, newts, foxes and cuckoos all call the Barna bog home. Small lakes dot the landscape and and quiet boreens (little one-car roads, great for walking and cycling) meander haphazardly and make up the Connemara Way. Heathers, Rhodedendrons, Fuschias, Honeysuckles, Hydrangeas and scots pines grow in abundance here.

Comments