3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 97% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Openseas's Profile Photo

Comfortable room.

Abbeyglen Castle .

Warm and friendly welcome by staff at arrival, our suite was enormous, elegantly and tastefully decorated with king size brass bed, lounge, mini-bar, air-conditioning, small table and chairs overlooking a pretty stream and garden.

The restaurant was situated in an elevated position overlooking the garden. The meal was fabulous and wine list extensive.

Overall a very enjoyable stay. (book the suite as other rooms looked rather small in comparsion.) Its not really a castle just built like one.

We had a lovely stay here...food was great although service was extremely slow..they also kept taking our wine away before finishing it.

Our room was great so I guess thats what made our stay special.

PROS: Book suite. Good food and restaurant.

CONS: Not really a castle. Pool looked disgusting full of green murky stuff.

More about Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

The Sky Road, Clifden

by Rinjani

You will see the sign “Sky Road” if you drive from Clifden. You will pass by the hotel castle “The Abbeyglen Castle Hotel” on your left. The road will take you to pass the ruins and sea. As the road rises, you will see breathtaking view overlooking Inishturk and Turbot islands. This area is amazing!

Fabulous Easter weekend at the Abbeyglen

Five of us stayed at the Abbeyglen Castle on Easter weekend, 2006. We had lovely, large rooms, with gas fireplaces, beautiful furnishings and luxurious bathrooms--even bathrobes. Ask for rooms in the older part of the castle. Great restaurant service; the owners give personalized, friendly welcome to guests. Continue driving out Sky Road; it is a fantastic region of Ireland to visit.

What a disappointment............

by TripAdvisor Member LaurajDublin

I stayed here for a weekend in February and was generally disappointed for the price. Each night averaged about €180 for a double room with B&B. It's not a castle by any means also and is more a concrete blob but in stunning scenery and landscape. Food was good which I was surprised by. The place was a bit too twee for me and well past its sell by date, it needs a complete refurb, the carpets in the room were about 10 years old and had never been cleaned, the hot water ran out in the shower on 2 occassions, the bathroom was very shabby and needed some tlc badly. On the positive the rooms were big and a very comfortable bed. All in all the place needs upgrading and some TLC.

This is Not what you think a castle would be nor a place to stay for the $$!

Our stay was an odd mix of the game Clue and the movie On Golden Pond. We had to be the youngest people by at least 40+ years (we're 30) and the place smelled like a nursing home. The grounds were fine but the structure itself was not what I imagined a castle to be in the least. The entire place needs an overhaul in the decorating department and the live bird in the lobby is creepy and stinky. This was a place that I'd pay no more than $55/night rather than the $180. Clifden itself is a lovely little town and worth the drive but stay in a guest house and save your "castle" experience for something more legitimate. We were extremely disappointed.

We LOVE Abbeyglen

by TripAdvisor Member SeanB

My family stayed at Abbeyglen from the end of July into the begining of August of 2005 and our stay was AMAZING. I will preface this by saying that YES Abbeyglen is not a "real" castle...in the true sense of the word, it has just been made to look like a castle in some respects. Although they were never misleading in their website as I have seen it. They never claimed to be an ancient castle...the main structure IS a 19th century buuilding with additions to the wings.
The rooms were extremely clean and spacious, and I only had a double room, not a suite. My room was not front facing...but the view we had of the beautiful flowers and greenery was amazing...the photos I took from my window of the greenery have drawn complimentary comments from all...even my grandmother who was born and raised in Ireland until she was 21.
The food at Abbeyglen was extremely good...The breakfasts offered such a wide assortment of foods and the dinners fit the bill to a T.
When we first arrived....after a very long and tiresome journey from Shannon Airport..(in a rental car that was too small for us and our luggage, so that we had to travel with large piece of luggage on our laps) we arrived at Abbeyglen to cheerful welcomes and the offer of drinks on the house at the bar because of how awful our car ride had been.
We spent many nights on the porch outside the bar...getting to know people. The outdoor porch..which is also the smoking area...is also accomadated with heat lamps for people who smoke...since it gets quite chilly in Ireland at night. They have a bell service for the outdoor porch where you can order ur drinks to be brought out to you as well.
The night before our last day at Abbeyglen, we suffered a car accident with the rental car, and Hertz would not supply us with another car...leaving us stranded at Abbeyglen after checkout time..Mr. Hughes immediately gave us free drinks and a free lunch..took to the phone and fought with Hertz for us!..when he had no results with Hertz he called a personal friend of his who he convinced to provide us with a personal taxi all the way across the island to our next destination for only 100 euro (400 less then every other quote we had been given.) He did all of this for 5 Americans who he had every reason to believe he would never see again.
Abbeyglen is the place to go if you want extremely personalized service and a genuine feeling that the staff cares about your needs...Gilbert, the parrot in the lobby, does not smell in the LEAST and will pose for your pictures!
Abbeyglen i not the place to go if you are looking for a genuine castle from 400 years ago, but it IS the place to go if you want to stay in a clean, beautifully furnished, spacious room. With the easy availabilty of a delicious diningroom and personal service that you know will go above and beyond the call of duty to help you in any way they can. Myself and 4 family members have already booked our return stay at Abbeyglen for this coming August...we CANT WAIT TO BE BACK!

Excellent value for $, great craic..we'll be back again!

by TripAdvisor Member LizCoen

My aunt, my mother and I visited Abbeyglen in June after being recommended by a number of friends. Our visit and experience of the family run establishment surpassed our every expectation. Never before have we encountered such an experience in terms of hospitality, craic and great value in an Irish hotel! We were greeted with a warm welcome by the owners, Brian and Paul Hughes, both of whom endeavoured to ensure our stay was most comfortable and memorable.

We dined in the hotel restaurant each of the three evenings. The dinner menu varied every evening from roast Connemara lamb to a variety of locally caught sea fish. (The Brill was outstanding). The desert bar was my favourite- a return trip to the buffet was never a problem! The craic down at the bar was mighty- the atmosphere, sing songs and friendly residents made for one too many hangovers!

Our bedrooms were exquisite! We had a lovely view of the hotel gardens, Clifden bay and the mountains in the backdrop. The interior and the cleanliness were to perfection.

I suggest that a visit to Connemara is incomplete without at least one night at the Abbeyglen. Be sure to give yourselves at least an hour to get from Galway to Clifden. As a final note a trip to Inish Boffin and/or Inish Turk is a must on a nice day!

Don't waste your money.

I stayed in 6 B&Bs and Hotels in Ireland. Abbeyglen was my most expensive choice but the worst quality. The room looked clean but once the smell of pine cleaner cleared the bathroom smelled like urine. Also, no ammenities unless you have need of a helicopter pad. A B&B or less costly hotel would have done nicely.

More than expected

We reserved only one night's stay in this castle hotel because it was in high demand so early in the season. After reading mixed reviews, we did not know what to expect but headed here while on our honeymoon. Not only did Paul Hughes, the manager and owner of the hotel greet us, he was very helpful and made us feel at home. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was great, as Paul also gave us complimentary champagne. The rooms are spacious and clean as is the rest of the hotel. This is definately worth a stay if you are in the Clifden area.

CLIFDEN, COUNTY GALWAY IRELAND

by GrannyBiddy

"A TRIP OF A LIFETIME TO GALWAY IRELAND"

Our dad won a trip to Ireland in the year 2002 that included a stay at the Abbeyglen Castle in Clifden. Since dad was 99 years old my sister, brother and I tagged along and had the most wonderful trip of our lives.

view from my room at the Abbeyglen Castle Hotelview from my room at the Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Comments