Ballynahinch Castle Hotel

Costs 182% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Ballynahinch Castle Hotel

WOW

by C&JTay about Ballynahinch Castle Hotel

WOW... I don't know what else to say! This place was great. The hotel is an old manor house (it is not a true castle) that has been turned into a 40 room hotel. The hotel itself is very nice. There is a 5 star restaraunt on site, and a pub for a more relaxed atmosphere. But the true jem of this hotel is the location. It is sitting on about 350 of the most amazing afres I have ever seen. The hotel has installed miles of trails, so guests can walk along the river and lakes that are on the property. Our room contained a king size bed, small TV, and a huge private bathroom. We also had a view out of a bay windoww of the mountains across that valley. There are river view rooms as well. The setting is what makes this hotel stand out. It is a great spot to use as a base for exploring Connemara. We got a 2 night package that included dinner in the restaraunt. Not cheap at all, but worth it!

Roundstone and Innishnee Island

by Rinjani

Roundstone is a quiet little coastal village. The village has bridge that connect with Innishnee Island, which is quieter and barely any pubs available. Roundstone is suitable for people who wish to stay away from hustling bustling city and prefer as much peace as possible. Driving from Clifden to explore the area is very nice. You will pass by the Ballynahinch Castle hotel and the eerie bog road.

This is the place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member RonAMuck

If you have the cash this is the place to stay. Make sure you walk the river path to the lake behind the hotel and bring your camera. The 5 minute walk provided my nicest pictures of Ireland.

I stayed at the hotel with my wife and two children ages 7 & 10, we all loved our stay at the Ballynahinch Castle Hotel.

Derryclave Lake and Pine Island

by Rinjani

If you drive from Dingle Peninsula to reach Clifden, most likely you will take N59 road. Between Ballynahinch and Recess, you will find this beautiful spot. This is very nice spot to stretch your leg by walking to the tiny island Pine and enjoy the scenic surrounding.

If you recognise quality

by TripAdvisor Member sm00

The first time I visited Ireland, many years ago, I was a low-budget student. At Ballynahinch Youth Hostel, knees swollen from cycling long miles in the rain, I heard about the island and the castle. Years later, while living in Galway, I always meant to have an off-season weekend at Ballynahinch Castle. Last year, back on holiday in Ireland, we finally made it for three wonderful nights. And great value for high season!
A lovely riverside room, excellent dinners and breakfasts in the dining room (even better if you watch an otter while you munch your eggs as I did) and helpful, friendly staff. (A touch forgetful occasionally, if you wanted an aperitif in the lounge while you chose from the menu).
If you recognise genuine quality, you'll love it. And it's not stuffy!
Such a welcoming place - the bucketing rain just didn't matter (apart from restricting our experience of the fantastic grounds). I don't understand why anyone would be so bothered about internet connections is these surounding. Relax and read a book, for heaven's sake!
And I am completely mystified by the reviewer who prefers Cabra Castle in Co. Cavan. They're not at all in the same part of Ireland, and not in the same market. Cabra's a wedding factory, stingy breakfasts and full of tacky repro furniture and repro 'art'. Somebody who doesn't know real quality, evidently....

O My God - Yes its heaven;-)

We had traveled for 6 hours and were tired and hungry so when we arrived we were greated with a big smile and went straight to our room. This was a standard double room in the main building overlooking the river, and it was beautiful. Lovely big bed, great ensuite and even complimentary chocolates. We went down for a friendly pint in the bar and then got an amazing meal. We had the option in the morning for breakfast in bed so this was a perk. The scenery is lovely and i would recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing weekend in a beautiful hotel. On the second evening I proposed to my Girlfriend (she said yes), and we had a lovely meal in the restaurant. Take the opportunity to travel to clifften - small village and also kylemore abbey - beautiful place.
We will definately be back.

Friendly staff
Great food
Lovely relaxing rooms
Beautiful views and secnery

Thanks Ballynahinch

Absolutely lovely

by TripAdvisor Member suitcasegurl

While not exactly a castle, Ballynahinch is a lovely old manor house with beautiful grounds and professional yet friendly staff. The front desk staff were helpful (gave us a map of walking trails around the castle, hunted down a dinner menu, etc.) and efficient. We did not reserve a "river view" room, yet we still had lovely views of the river and surrounding hills. The room was very large, especially by European standards, and the bathroom had nice dark wood and bright white porcelain. It was a nice touch to have chocolates and bottled water waiting for us. Dinner was fantastic (unless you want to drive quite a distance, eating in the hotel is really the only option) and the service was impeccable. There is also a marginally less expensive pub on the premises. A nice option is to have dessert in one of the sitting rooms downstairs - very relaxing. The breakfast was the most impressive that I had out of all the places I visited on my trip...they have a huge selection of pastries, cereals, etc. as well as many hot choices. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing stay in beautiful surroundings.

Connemara treasure

by TripAdvisor Member goldenhippie

Had a fabulous weekend in this 4 star manor house hotel. Rooms were perfect & really comfortable bed. Service A1 & food same. Lovely walks around estate. A gem among the mountains. It did not matter about the rain.

Peaceful

by TripAdvisor Member Lydka

My husband and I recently went on a driving tour of Ireland which included a night at this castle hotel. After enjoying a beautiful day of driving in the Connemara region, we were delighted to arrive at this hotel. We were welcomed at reception with a roaring fire and invited to use all the sitting rooms around the hotel. We were shown our room and were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves in room number 11(I think) which was in the original home and included a king size four poster bed, a sitting area, a walk in closet, and a large, bright bathroom. In the early evening we went on a long walk around the grounds and found many trails leading to endless beauty. In the morning breakfast was served in the formal dining room and included a buffet of juices, cereals, cheeses, yogurts, and fruit. After helping ourselves to that we were given a selection of cooked breakfasts. One comment - if you plan on using the internet - beware. It didn't work the whole time we were there. The one time it was working it timed out due to the slow connection.

cdpviola's new Ireland Page

by cdpviola

"Ireland:Trip 1"

Slainte! I went to Ireland this past spring and it was one of the most rewarding trips I have ever taken. The people are wonderful and the scenery is breathtaking! I visited Ireland in order to do some research at University College Cork in March 2002.

"Ireland:Trip 2"

I fell in love with Ireland so much that I took another trip with my father in September 2003 after I participated in the Lionel Tertis International Viola Competition. It was as wonderful as the first time. I definitely got to see more because we chose to rent a car to explore the country. It was definitely worth it as we got access to many archeological sites not easily accessed any other way.

"Itinerary for Trip 2"

Leave for London

Ballynahinch Castle HotelBallynahinch Castle Hotel

Dining around Loughrea, Co Galway

by bren1

Hi, I'm getting married in Cloghan Castle in May. It's right between Gort and Loughrea in Co. Galway. I was trying to figure out a place to have the rehearsal dinner. I know it's a little off the beaten path but thought I might ask.

I heard of one place called Maggie Mae's, anyone heard of it?

Thanks

Re: Dining around Loughrea, Co Galway

by PeteNL

Hi, and welcome on VT!
If you would like something different for the rehearsal dinner or just an evening out, it might be an idea to check out villages like Ballyvaughan or even Doolin, even if they further away. They are known for good pub-athmosphere, with live music during most of the year. Another option are more luxorious (castle-type) hotels nearby, like Gragan's castle Hotel in Ballyvaughan or Ballynahinch Castle in Recess, west of Galway (http://www.ballynahinch-castle.com/)

Have a great time!
P.

Re: Re: Dining around Loughrea, Co Galway

by Celticfawn

How about the banquet at Dunguire Castle? That is on the N67 and not too far from where you will be having the wedding. Would be fun for you two to be the Queen & King for the evening before being wed. The trad music and show are a special evening. I'm sure that by arranging ahead of time your whole party would be seated together and it would be something that everyone would remember.

Re: Re: Dining around Loughrea, Co Galway

by bren1

Thanks, I'll look into that.

A night in a castle need suggestions please!!

by rossandkelli

Hi, we are traveling for 2 weeks and will be staying in hostels most of the time but would like to splurge on a night or two in a castle! I hope you all can make a few suggestions for us. We will be visiting the belfast, donegal and galway areas...what do you think? Thanks!

RE: A night in a castle need suggestions please!!

by PeteNL

Hi,

Heard some good things about Ballynahinch castle in Connemara, http://www.ballynahinch-castle.com/
Looked into it years ago and I remember it's also not that over-luxurous (and overpriced) as the more famous ones like Ashford. Hope it's suitable for you!
Have a nice trip,

P.

RE: A night in a castle need suggestions please!!

by ladyanne

Hello,
Ballynahinch is very expensive and very fluffy.
You might want to try the Temple House (http://www.templehouse.ie/bedrooms.html), it is in Co. Sligo between Galway and Donegal. Not too expensive, and quite lovely I think.
We are going to stay in Cregg Castle in November. It has mixed reviews, but it looks authentic and not fancy. It is run I am told more like a B&B, they serve dinner, and play traditional music at night by the turf fire, lots of animals on a working farm.
Good luck.
ladyanne

RE: RE: RE: A night in a castle need suggestions please!!

by Buckz

Ashford (Mayo), Kilkea (Kildare) and Dromoland (Clare) Castles are fabulous. Try to book in mid week when they are desparately expensive, as opposed to horrendously obscenely expensive at the weekend.

RE: RE: A night in a castle need suggestions please!!

by ladyanne

Hello,
I looked up this site for you. http://www.tourismresources.ie/fh/west.htm#F2

I think you will find it helpful. All the Castles and Nice Guest Houses in Co. Galway area. Check it out!!
Best of luck