Barry's Hotel

More about Clifden

Kylemore LakeKylemore Lake

View of ClifdenView of Clifden

E.J. KingsE.J. Kings

The sky Road, Clifden (photo Dirk)The sky Road, Clifden (photo Dirk)

Walking near Clifden?

by Jennyjump79

Hi!

I'm heading to Ireland in November and am thinking of spending a night or two in Clifden. I'd really like to get out and do some walking or biking while I'm there (yup, I know-- it's November.) The guide books I've found all suggest walking either the lower or higher Sky Road. Has anyone done this? How strenuous of a walk is it? I'm a pretty avid walker, but I'm not very experienced when it comes to hiking and difficult terrain-- should I stick to the lower road? Lastly, should I be concerned about being alone in this area? I've travelled solo to cities before, but this is my first time venturing outside a metro area by myself. Any advice would be a big help!

Re: Walking near Clifden?

by Waoife

Don't think the walk is so much strenuous as long (although I must admit I was in a car when I did the Sky Road!!!). There's not much in the way of "civilisation" along the route so once you're on your way you pretty much have to finish the walk. It is beautiful though - hopefully the weather will cooperate & you won't get too wet ;-)

RE: Walking near Clifden?

by ladyanne

I am also going to Ireland in November with my daughter and a friend of mine. This will be my third trip there. Connemara is a walking paradise. The hills are so barren and there doesn't seem to be any real steep parts. If you could get a B&B in the Cliften area that has trails, then they could keep an eye on when you leave and when you return, so you don't feel nervous walking or hiking alone. I'm not familiar with Cliften. I am also trying to spend a couple of nights there.
One night in Galway, one day on the Aran Island Inish Mor by ferry from Rossaveal, two nights in Cliften area to tour Connemara and Westport and Cong. Then a night possibly in Cregg Castle and then on to Dingle.

Travel Tips for Clifden

Excellent Place to Stop

by Sagespot

Clifden, the capital of Connemara, is beautifully set at the head of narrow Clifden Bay, where the River Owenglin tumbles into the sea. It's Victorian houses and needle-sharp church spires appear inviting as one approaches the town on the coast highway.

Clifden's central area can seem a little dragged down by tourism, and the town has a vaguely jaded feel to it, but its numerous hotels and easy-going pubs make it a useful stop. It is certainly convenient for travellers intent on enjoying the sea and the Twelve Bens.

Comments