Market Street, Clifden, Ireland

Hostelworld.com

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Clifden Town Hostel

I arrived to Clifden already at 9.15 and realised it was probably too early to check in, but hoped I could put my luggage in a storage room while walking the Sky Road. I entered Clifden Town Hostel but didn’t see anyone. At the reception there was a telephone and a telephone number to call, so I did so. I was told that I could put my luggage in the lounge opposite. There was no locked storage room and as the hostel was open and anyone could go into the lounge I didn’t feel comfortable about leaving my backpack there. I called back and was told I could put the bag in the dorm after check-out time at 11. Meanwhile I took a short walk around town and went to a café.

At 11o’clock I could put my backpack in a dorm. It was a four-bed dorm facing Market Street. There were no lockers in the room and no reading light. What was very god in the evening was that the room was warm (until then I had been freezing inside every hostel since I came to Ireland). The bathroom and showers were down the corridor. There was no key to the room and that was one thing I didn’t like as there were no lockers either.

When I was at Clifden Town Hostel in the morning I had seen as much as five people, all were checking out that morning. When I came back I didn’t see anyone, no guests and no staff until the next morning when the woman running the place arrived just as finished breakfast. I went early to bed but didn’t like the fact that I seemed to be alone in this unlocked building (they lock the front door later at night).

There is a common room and a kitchen. Breakfast is not included but in the kitchen there is coffee and tea to use.

For one night I paid 18 Euro (March 2013).

Comments