Ardilaun

The Ardilaun Hotel
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Middle aged lady - still holding together, just.

Reminding me of one of those 'more unusual' lonely hearts ads, the Ardilaun still has a certain something about it. It does however look as if it has been around the block a couple of times and therefore needs very regular maintenance to keep it looking presentable. To extend this tenuous analogy, it can also be said that rather like some ladies of a certain age, it's dress sense leaves something to be desired. The fabics that have been choosen are all costly enough with custom-made carpets and swaggering curtain trims, but little seems to match. The overall affect is one of confusion - a place that has lost it's way a little.

Despite all this, the place still does what it is suposed to do. The rooms are presentably 3/4 star, the kitchens knock out good-ish food, and the spa/health club is fine. It has well-kept grounds and helpful / friendly staff.

The hotel is something of a bastion of the local community, hosting rotary clubs, weddings and business functions. It's main trade seems to come from upmarket (in terms of cost anyway) American tour groups and Insurance companies training their latest intake of hopefuls.

Nice car park.

Directions: follow the signs to taylor's hill, above salthill seafront

• Ardilaun Hotel Galway

Its not the cheapest but probably one of Galways best Hotels with a great leisure centre. Probably the best thing about the Ardilaun Hotel is its location about 5 mins walk from Galway city centre. However the grounds are quite large so its very peaceful and you have the impression you are out in the country. Great place to get away

Unique Quality: Old landlords townhouse - used to beloing to the familiy of Lady Gregory.
    Pool, gym, snooker room and geat rooms

Directions: West of the city - Taylors Hill on the road leading to Spiddal and connemara

More about Ardilaun

Ardilaun service

by TripAdvisor Member Symths

I found that the Ardilaun service was overall good and worth the money that i spent on staying there. The room i was allocated was more then statisfactory. The room service and the food was excellent in the Blazers Bar. I found the location of the hotel tranquil and within easy walking distance to the beach. My wife and I really enjoyed ourselves over the majority of our stay. However i had an unpleasant experience in dealing with a manager that works there of the name Aden Preston. I found him unprofessional in his manner and every communication with him was quite frankly a chore. Overall my stay was satisfactory. I would recommend the Ardilaun Hotel to stay at when in Galway.

JUst a few words on the hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sjlkirk

I am just back from Galway, were my boyfriend and i stayed in the hotel for a few days! We were delighted with their package deal and were looking forward to seeing the hotel which sounded really luxurious. We decided at the last minute to leave a day earlier and booked in at the travel lodge, which we both thought was great!!
The next day we left for the Ardilaun (four star hotel).
When we got there we found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. However one of the reception staff told us we might hear a bit of a drilling as they were testing the fire drill.
LIE!
As i have difficulty sleeping i couldn't wait to get a way for some peace and quiet. Unfortunately for me i was woken up at around 7 every morning with the sound of construction work going on (the drilling). Also, our room was next to the lift and I could hear it going up and down the whole time! Another thing i want to complain about was the vegetarian menu! I was not happy with a few lettuce leaves and blackcurrant's on my plate! Other than this as i said, the staff were very helpful, and the pool was great but i wish we had stuck with the travel lodge!

A Fantastic Stay

by TripAdvisor Member warsphinx

Hello All! I thoroughly recommend and endorse this Hotel! In the last couple of months i have not only stayed in the Ardilaun but i have also hosted my son's wedding there as well! I found the staff to be helpful and willing to put my needs in front of theirs. My son was highly demanding in the things he asked of them but they rose to meet every demand and query with eagerness, determination and above all else a smile. I could not imagine the reception running as smoothly as it did without the man responsible for organizing it, one Mr. Aden Preston. He should not only be highly recomended but also applauded for his diligence and hard work. We could not have done it without him!

Valentine's Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member contheman

I was a bit nervous having read about construction noise on this webite but no problems to report on that front. I think its more or less finished. We had a lovely big room in the new block. Staff very friendly - dinner and breakfast lovely. Nice pool also. I'd recommend this hotel. Its probably a bit far to walk from town after a night out but only a half hour or so and very pleasant during daylight hours.

Laid back and relaxed

by TripAdvisor Member deenikar82

Booked a great deal for this hotel on the guillever website.

Our room was spacious and cosy, the pub food and the restaurant food was delicious, huge selection for breakfast, comfy beds, clean, homely, safe, the bathroom was large, great for couples and families - it was all great! The guests I spoke to had stayed here numerous times before and really loved this hotel.

Only complaint is if guests were speaking in the corridors you could hear everthing in the rooms. Also the hotel's billing system didn't take into the account the offer we availed off but this was easily resolved in 2 minutes when we were checking-out.

I'll definitely be staying here the next time I'm in Galway.

Very comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member Tennisnut4

Just spent 4 nights at the Ardilaun.

Public areas were of a high standard and the new wing where I stayed had large rooms, very comfortable beds and very clean and new bathrooms. Only downside was you can hear everyone's door's closing when they go to bed which happened into tee early hours due to the Friday wedding guests going to bed. Mind you I was there for a wedding on the Saturday so my door probably banged too at 2am!

Very good leisure facilities - it had a decent size gym with free weights and plenty of equipment (only downside was it was very cold due to the air con so take a sweatshirt and tracksuit bottoms!). Good pool in which you can swim lengths in, great jacuzzi, steam room and sauna.

Nice grounds and a 20 min walk to Salthill.

Friendly staff. Will stay there again.

Beautiful public areas, rooms just ok

I stayed here with my boyfriend for one night because of a friend's wedding. The reception itself was excellent, good food and much higher level of service than is the norm at such functions. The lobby and dining areas are lovely. I also enjoyed the leisure centre, especially the extra-large jacuzzi.

However I would say the bedroom and bathroom were just of average standard and slightly on the small side. The style of the decor was dated in my opinion and there was nothing fancy about it. I got a special offer luckily (€100 per night for the double room) but had I paid the full room rate (€190) I think I would have been pretty disappointed.

In summary, very nice hotel but rooms are overpriced.

Comments