Flannery's Hotel

Flannery's Hotel Galway
Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• A Pleasant Stay

I stayed there for two nights then headed up to Westport and came back for one more night.
    I found the accomodations very nice with a very pleasant and helpful staff. I stayed on the 2nd floor the first stay; large bed and tv, exceptionally clean. The second stay I was on the first floor with a smaller tv in the room. They have a very nice looking restaurant on the ground floor which appeared to get a lot of locals.
    I liked the location, as it is just on the edge of the city, you dont have to fight the traffic going into the downtown area. I did walk it one day, about 30 minute walk to Eyre Square down College Road. Nice walk. Other days I took the bus, a very short ride in although I believe the bus stopped running at about nine. So after hitting some pubs, I walked back one evening as it was too late to catch the bus. But it was fun walking and seeing the sights up close.
    Rates were very reasonable in April and I will no doubt stay there again.

Directions: Edge of city on Dublin road

• Best Western Flannerys Hotel

We booked last minute and this was the cheapest place we could find, E69 per night room only isnt too bad for Galway. Also we were given a room with a king bed which looked like it had been refurbished fairly recently. But it was hard to get a good nights sleep though due to the thin walls, power drilling in the morning and cleaning staff walking around banging doors. The hotel is located on the Dublin Road on the outskirts of the city, there is a bus stop across the road, it costs E1.30 to get into town & takes around 10 minutes. Next time I will book the Jurys Inn in advance as it seems to have the best location right in the centre.

More about Flannery's Hotel

Great place - if you live in a ditch !

by TripAdvisor Member anluabu

Stayed there in double room in July 2007. Had a degree of difficulty finding a room in Galway for the weekend in question but this hotel had some availability and now I know why !
For the price of €140 per room per night I would have expected something reasonably good.
Reception were friendly and the decor in the lobby was pretty nice and we expected the same in the room itself.
On opening the room door on the 3rd floor - I could see that this was clearly not the case. Bedding was old and frayed, curtains and window were filthy, shelves in the closet were that dusty and dirty that they hadn't seen a cloth in at least 5 years and one could easily write ones name on them !
Bar was dingy and resembled an old folks home and the music backed up this theory !
Bedding was gross ! Room was gross ! A total dump !
Told the girl on reception of our dis-satisfaction and received some cock and bull story about that floor not being decorated while all the others were - her story like the hotel and the surroundings Stank ! Wouldn't put a dog in this place. Stayed in many hotels all over the world but this place makes Fawlty Towers look like the Beverley Hills Hilton. A kip !

disgusting dirty dive

by TripAdvisor Member IrelandLiverpool

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in july. On arrival it looked tatty and dirty but decided to check in and hope for the best. The bedroom was very dated, dirty and dingy. The carpet and net curtain was filthy. The bed linen was old and didn't smell fresh. I was too afraid to look closer !! The bathroom was tiny with hard towels and smelled of urine. I asked to change rooms but was told there was none available, even though i witnesed people checking in after us. Thankfully we spent very little time in the room. On leaving, my husband found unused Durex behind the curtain ! This shows the level of cleaning carried out in this hotel.

Nice Standard Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jess_2419

Good hotel for the money. Not a great location for walking around Galway. We had a car, so this was not a problem. Rooms were a nice size and were very clean. Overall a positive experience and we would stay again if visiting Galway in future.

had a great stay-- give it a try but ask for updated room

by TripAdvisor Member sharonasully

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western in May while traveling in Ireland. We stayed in 5 different towns and hotels and were pleased with our stay here.
The hotel may appear a bit dated on the outside but we were surprised with how nice the interior was, as it appears to have been updated. I did ask for one of the updated rooms as I had read previous reviews and it seemed like there were a mix of old and updated rooms in the hotel. We were given one of the updated ones and were happy with it. The room was very nice, great furniture, the bed was super comfy and one of the best beds of our trip, really nice linens and the bathroom was great as well. The bar and lounge were a cool place to hang out upon returning from your days travel. The hotel is not in the center of town, so you do need a car to get around, but we had one and were visiting other tourist attractions that required one anyway. The breakfast was a buffet style traditional Irish breakfast which was very good. I also found the staff to be quite pleasant. This was our first stay in Ireland and unfortunately due to some airline connection troubles, our luggage did not make it with us and was delayed a day and ½, however, the receptionist was kind enough to contact the airline for us and follow up to make sure it was delivered to us and was placed in our room once received. Overall we had a very nice stay here and I would recommend this hotel. My only suggestion is to ask for an updated room when doing so as it appears from the other reviews that some people had the older outdated ones.

Would not stay here again.

by TripAdvisor Member shimmer765

We arrived around 8 PM and found it difficult to find a parking spot at all in the lot. I told the receptionist that the lot was full and she said "no it's not" (it really was full). Rude.

At any rate, we made it to our room. Upon entering, the lights flickered and took about 10 seconds to turn on. The bed was really run down and needs some serious updating. I wouldn't touch the comforter and the brown blanket they had on the bed wasn't any better.

We were tired, so we slept OK, but in the morning when trying to take a shower...there was dirt caked onto the bottom of the tub as it had not been cleaned, as well as drippings of shampoo or something that had not been washed off the walls of the tub from the previous guest. I'm guessing that it had not been cleaned and really turned me off.

In all, I would NEVER stay here again. It was definitely out-dated (not that the decor much matters to us), but they need some new towels, bed linens, and to clean the bathroom before the next guest arrives! Warning: if you want to stay in a hotel that does not clean the bathroom before the next guest arrives, then this is the place. Otherwise, don't stay here.

Stayed Lots of Times, this is a great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member goddess73

I have stayed in hotel alot of times in the past year sometimes on business and some weekends away with my partner for the weekends and I was always meaning to do a review. This is a large hotel with lots of outdoor parking which makes it really handy for getting to and from Galway City without having to worry too much about the traffic. It is a 5 minute drive to the centre unless you hit traffice during rush hour which is pretty bad during the week from 9 to 7pm. The rooms are big and well designed, I have stayed on the 1st 3rd and 4th Floors. The 1st floor rooms are my favourite but if you like larger room then the 4th floor is better and had free wireless internet access. The 1st floor has king size beds and duvets and is really comfy and romantice. The breakfast has always been good its buffet and there is a good choice and staff are very friendly and recognise that you have stayed before.

The bar is lovely very modern but still cosy and friendly,guinness is too good and there is always a gang to old guys at the bar counter chatting away and having heated chats about the GAA

The dinner is good in both the bar and the restaurant the one thing that I would say is that the restaurant is a bit old fashioned and not anywhere as nice as the bar!

All in all it is a friendly nice clean hotel and the staff and managers work hard and seem to care and always available to chat.

Oh nearly forgot the receptionist and night staff - All great too.

Security a Joke!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member annabanana79

Well myself & a group of girls stayed at Flannery's Best Western for the bank hol weekend. The hotel itself is grand, food was lovely, staff fairly friendly and rooms were great. But one area where they fall down in a major way is Security!! I was sharing with 2 girls so we were in a triple room, one of the girls went to bed early and awoke at the early hours of sat morning around 4-5am with a strange man at the end of her bed, the night porter on reception had given this man a key to our bedroom, thankfully nothing serious happened!!! now if they had used their heads and looked at the reservation list they would have seen that it was only girls in the room - NO MEN!!!
We brought this matter to the attention of the general manager and to be honest he did not seem to see the seriousness of the situation, i mean anything vould have happened, she could have been attacked or raped!! We will be writing a letter of complaint to Board Failte and to Best Western. The lack of security is totally unacceptable in my opinion.

well that's my tupence worth.

Basic value lodging

by TripAdvisor Member ReconChicago

Standard lodging. A good value for us because we had three travellers and Flannery's has rooms with three beds so you don't have to rent a two rooms. It's a good twenty minute walk to the downtown square or a quick bus/taxi ride, but this motel does have parking which many downtown hotels do not.

Clean rooms and lobby, accommodating staff, decent bar. We moved after two nights to a downtown hotel for convenience and because prices dropped there after the weekend, but I would definitely stay again at Flannery's. We're just looking for a place to crash after being out all day and evening, so our needs are simply a clean room for a good value in a decent location. Flannery's fits the bill.

Comments