The Promenade, Salthill, Galway, Western Ireland, Ireland

Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Taking a few tips from Estate Agents photos

The Galway Bay hotel is a perfectly competent if uninspiring four-star hotel. Well beloved of wedding parties with appropriately enough wedding-cake style architecture of the hotel, most rooms faces out to the bay.

The hotel is however situated in Salthill, the seaside suburb of Galway which owes more than a little to the kiss-me-quick, candyfloss, cheap B & B culture of English seaside resorts like Skegness and Blackpool. Most unsightly of all, right next to the hotel (and strangely they don?t show this on photographs) a motley collection of fairground rides called Leisureland.

• Traditional Irish cottages no-one knows about

This Irish thatched cottage is right on the water, so we got our feet wet. Its on a dead end road with just farmers on either side - and they were a bit away. Grass on either side. The cottage is 300 years old with a turf burning stove. Its been updated a bit but is the real thing. Galway is 20 minutes away. All in all the sheer volume of history is enough to quieten the wildest mind. Great walks! The burren, the entire west. Loved it!

Unique Quality: THe view out to the sea is outstanding, but we spent most of our time inside warming to the fire and drinking Irish coffees (!).
    Good selection of books and though the place is old, it had all we needed. People are friendly but they give you space. Rarely have I been to a place with such a swift change of pace. Refreshing/.

Directions: Take a left towards the sea from Clarenbridge to Cave. Ask at the post office how to get to Cave.

More about Galway Bay Hotel

A Wonderful Stay at Galway Bay Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member vsavage

My family & I had a wonderful stay at the Galway Bay Hotel. The level of service we received was top-notch as was the hotel itself.

We were more than pleased with our room and the hotel's location just across from the beach. Playing on the beacha and swimming in the hotel pool gave my son some great memories.

I highly recommend their restaurant, the Lobster Pot Restaurant, as it had a GREAT breakfast and their 4 course dinners were superb in taste, portions and presentation.

To be honest, if I ever return to Galway, I will certainly stay at the Galway Bay Hotel. I can't say enough nice things about it! I can't even think of anything to complain about (and I can usually always think of things to complain about!)

Brochure written by an estate agent

by sourbugger about Galway Bay Hotel

The hotel is however situated in Salthill, the seaside suburb of Galway which owes more than a little to the kiss-me-quick, candyfloss, cheap B & B culture of English seaside resorts like Skegness and Blackpool. Most unsightly of all, right next to the hotel (and strangely they don't show this on photographs) a motley collection of fairground rides called Leisureland.

Lived Up To expectations

by TripAdvisor Member Rooster17

My wife and I stayed a few nights at the Galway Bay Hotel. Her brother was getting married there so it made sense. This is a beautifully located hotel with great views of the bay and only a short trip into the busy centre. The food was excellent and the staff were all extremely couteous and helpful. (They seemed to be eastern European for some reason though!)

If, as we intend, we return to Galway for a weekend break we will definitely use this hotel again.

Not Impressed

by TripAdvisor Member annt328

We stayed 2 nights at the Galway Bay Hotel. The rooms were standard, by no means a 4 star hotel. The bathroom bordered on unacceptable to me. Tiles were loose and the bathroom itself was tiny. There was no iron in the room. Our room was situated on the first floor, overlooking a park type area with benches which people hung out in all hours of the night making tons of noise. The hotel has no air conditioning and the week we were in Ireland, the temps were warm. The windows were the only means of fresh air which was polluted during sleep time with the noise from the all nighters! The breakfast buffet in the Lobster Pot Restaurant was good, with nice views of Galway Bay while you eat. There is also a nice sitting area just outside the restaurant with beautiful views.

Overall, I probably would not go back to Galway Bay. This hotel is 3 stars at best...

Great for Children

by TripAdvisor Member Jinny42

I stayed in the Galway Bay Hotel in Ireland for the October Bank Holiday Weekend from Monday to Wednesday. There were five of us. Including myself there was my husband, my mother and our two children 18 and 11.

When we first arrived at the hotel we were not overly impressed as the reception area was very crowded and looked rather shabby. However this initial impression did not give a true and fair impression of the hotel. We had two double rooms that were very spacious and both had sea views. The beds were so comfy and there were lots of pillows. The rooms were very warm and had a heat control gague. The facilities were spotless and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Our package included two nights Bed and Brekfast and one evening meal. The cost of €130 per person which was great value and the charge for our son was €40 per night including his evening meal in the kids club. We had our evening meal in the Lobster Pot restaurant which was fablous. There was a great selection of choices for the brekfast and you could have what you wanted. There was a great selection of healthy options also. There was a kiddies club that catered for children up to the age of 12. My son really enjoyed this as this kept him occupied until 11pm. The childcare staff were excellent and very professional in their approach. He did not want to leave.

The hotel is located in an excellent positon. It looks out over Galway Bay and you can see the Aran Islands from your hotel room on a clear day. It has a wonderful conservatory which captures the sun and I would imagine in the summer time is georgous. We had a lovely stroll on the beach and took a littel look around eyre square which is only 5klms away.

There is a lovely quaint bar in the hotel which has a very traditional irish flavour. The staff made an excellent Irish Coffee and were also very polite and helpful. There was some background music. There was entertainment at the weekend. Midweek it is very quiet but sometimes that is nice too as it is relaxing to have a quite pint at the end of a long day.

Room service was excellent, the cleaning lady called into the room every day and changed the towels and cleaned around. To all Mothers out there is was great, not to have to wash a cup, cook a dinner or make a bed..... for two whole days

If there was anything to complain about I would definately say it was the leisure centre. The swimming pool is tiny and is not very inviting. It didnt appeal to any of my family as it looked very small and miserable. However there is a spa attached onto the hotel but I didnt manage to get there as it wasnt very obvious where it was.

Overall this is an excellent hotel if you want to get away and just relax and take it easy. Its a great location to explore the many beautiful sites galway has to offer.

Modern, Classy, But No Charm

by TripAdvisor Member rcb

A large, sleek, stylish, modern hotel with large, comfortable rooms and an ample bathrooms. The hotel seems to cater to the tour-group crowd, which was okay by us. We were impressed with the restaurant which looks out over the Bay.

The hotel is well-managed and the staff competent -- we were graciously offered restaurant reservations at check-in and given a room for 3 with only 2 in our party, but it lacks the charm department that you find in smaller, more intimate properties.

Also, the location may be inconvenient, as its near the Western end of Salthill, away from most of the sights and action of Galway. Nonetheless, if my plans called for using Galway was a jumping off point for more explorations of this area of Ireland, it would be fine.

Do not be misled by the photos that show it on the water. Iits actually across the street from the water, and pedestrians must walk through the hotel's parking lot and cross at a cross-walk to get there. For that, I'm rating it at 3* instead of 4 *.

Overall, there's nothing "wrong" with the hotel -- its fine -- but its not all that, either/
=R=

Just Fine in Galway

by TripAdvisor Member Amy Bradley

We stayed at the Galway Bay for four nights. We arrived at 2:30 a.m. and were greated by a friendly host and got sandwiches and help with our bags immediately. The service is wonderful. The rooms are clean, decent sized and comfortable. We had a room facing the patio and the noise from two ongoing weddings wasn't too bad. It happened to be a hot few days and there is no air conditioning, so our windows remained open.

The breakfast choices were good and again the service was great.

It is a 5 minute, 6 Euro cab ride into town.

I would definately stay here again.

Very nice!

by TripAdvisor Member GavBelfast

Stayed here on business in mid July 2006.

It's in a nice sea-front setting at Salthill, Galway's resort neighbour.

Rooms are very spacious and well decorated / appointed, with especially large bathrooms.

Excellent buffet breakfast.

Good leisure facilities, and of course the beach is just across the road too.

The only downside was the heat due to lack of air-conditioining, but it was in the middle of an unusual heatwave.

All-in-all, a pleasant stay in a good hotel in a nice part of the world.

Comments